Ah, what better holiday gift than a generous LTTW update on the inevitable suffering on humanity. What a delight!

I am very glad to see this back on track. And the e-book announcement is great as well. I'll be sure to hand out copies to my non-AH friends, as this TL is just fun for the whole family. I've said it before, but rarely have I read something more exciting than the whole Europe On Fire: Jacobin Boogaloo arc.

Keep up the good work Thande!

I've lived to see it in my lifetime...LTTW in published form...

*sheds tears of pure joy*

I'm looking forward to a published version with a greater sense of clarity. I'm sure its bound to be the crown jewel of the SLP collection. The only thing that saddens me is that I will never hold it in my hand as a printed book.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I'm looking forward to a published version with a greater sense of clarity. I'm sure its bound to be the crown jewel of the SLP collection. The only thing that saddens me is that I will never hold it in my hand as a printed book.

Actually we are looking at doing limited print runs for some of the longer works (e.g. EdT's Fight and Be Right) so that may happen eventually--though I don't think there will ever be all of LTTW as one printed book, seeing as it is currently longer than War and Peace (not hyperbole) and unlike Brandon Sanderson I do not have a publisher literally researching new bookbinding techniques to make such long books feasible to bind.

And thanks for the kind words!

Actually we are looking at doing limited print runs for some of the longer works (e.g. EdT's Fight and Be Right) so that may happen eventually--though I don't think there will ever be all of LTTW as one printed book, seeing as it is currently longer than War and Peace (not hyperbole) and unlike Brandon Sanderson I do not have a publisher literally researching new bookbinding techniques to make such long books feasible to bind.

So you'll break up LTTW like LOTR?

Silence heretics! Hide your blasphemy before Thande can learn of it and carve your hearts out with a spoon!

Nice to see you returning to LTTW! Very ominous with all those Societarian names of things. Orwellian, Airstrip One and all that.

Also... the Societarians have taken control of Indonesia by modern day?! That hasn't been mentioned before, has it?

I am a little bit alarmed that you do not appear to have heard of the volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis which, as noted above, are all entirely OTL. [...] The major weather events are obviously different to OTL because of chaos theory.

I've thought about this as well for general timelines, and I'm glad that we're in agreement on this point. I have been thinking about actually trying to contact some meteorologists to ask just how effective the literal butterfly effect actually is, and how chaotic weather can be, but I've yet to figure out a good way to persuade a meteorologist to agree to spend time with me answering questions.

So you'll break up LTTW like LOTR?

Don't blame Thande. Blame Sir Stafford Cripps for postwar rationing.

Also... the Societarians have taken control of Indonesia by modern day?! That hasn't been mentioned before, has it?

It has been mentioned how the UPSA's influence is slowly penetrating the East Indies.

I personally expect the Combine to include the UPSA, Brazil, Peru, much if not the entirety of Guyana, Carolina, Brazilian Africa, the East Indies, the Siamese Empire and maybe even the Iberian Peninsula. We'll see in due time.

Don't blame Thande.

Now that's a strange sentence for this website. :D

Now that's a strange sentence for this website. :D

It is first now when you've pointed it out that I realize that I actually wrote out "Don't blame Thande".

Seriously (though obviously, there's no way anyone will believe me), I just figured "Ooooh! Opportunity to do a Sir Stafford Cripps reference!" and didn't think about how that line actually started.

Maybe you should. It does remind me that even Sanderson split the "last" Wheel of Time novel into 3 volumes...

I've thought about this as well for general timelines, and I'm glad that we're in agreement on this point. I have been thinking about actually trying to contact some meteorologists to ask just how effective the literal butterfly effect actually is, and how chaotic weather can be, but I've yet to figure out a good way to persuade a meteorologist to agree to spend time with me answering questions.

I think it would be pretty effective on a long enough time scale. Stuff like deforestation and increased cultivation of farmland can have drastic effects on local climates which will spiral out from there. Something like the greater level of development in Meridia alone would be enough to substantially butterfly climate especially over a hundred plus years out.

I missed that this was back. Excellent update, Thande, and I definitely look forward to the e-book!

I think it would be pretty effective on a long enough time scale. Stuff like deforestation and increased cultivation of farmland can have drastic effects on local climates which will spiral out from there. Something like the greater level of development in Meridia alone would be enough to substantially butterfly climate especially over a hundred plus years out.

Basically, I just want to know if it is plausible to have a PoD in 1769 that will result in a sufficiently cold winter in 1811 for Öresund Strait to freeze solid enough to allow people to walk over. Those winters happen every so often (most recently happened in 1996), but I'm curious if you can just "wing it" to make it happen in a particular year for it to fit the story.

While I apologize for bumping, of course...

Having just finished the entire TL (again), I'm both astounded by the level of detail that has gone into creating a truly different world from our own, with the coverage of the scientific aspects of history, as well as the political and societal (and I will repeat earlier requests to see how alternative paleontology looks in Timeline-L)...simply amazing.

Also, a question on the Hermandad: The earlier infographic showed that Batavia was a member (as were the other exilic Dutch states). If this is the case, are the Siamese Empire and the various Philippine/Nusantaran sultanates (Sulu, Mataram, Formosa sort-of, etc) up for membership as well? Or are they just states with varying degrees of Meridian influence that aren't formally part of the informal empire?

(EDIT: In addition, where do the Portuguese holds in East Africa and the Persian Gulf fall? Did the Zandi take those outright, or are they controlled by the regime in Brazil?)

Last edited: