One thought that's just occurred to me is that the Diversitarian attitude to historical revisionism makes the discussion of Lisieux seem somewhat out of character in hindsight (though I can't recall the dates on those books). He seemed to be presented as an unequivocally bad guy without real redeeming features (which, tbf, some of his ideas could have been presented as proto-Diversitarian, but he was pretty bad on a lot of things I'd agree with them on), and his historical revisionism of the French Revolution as, at best, an annoyance, when now it seems like the modern Diversitarian approach might as well have been modelled on some aspects of his.

And the revolution eats its children. Again. If we're even being told the truth.

Oh, shit.

Indeed.

Eventually, but I need to try to skim through this thread to find the corrections that viewers made to this antebellum one (below) before I start. I remember one of them was someone pointed out I had forgotten a 19th century border change between France and (then North) Italy, but I can't remember what the other main one was.

And I even got a shoutout. :D Don't forget, kids, France only took Savoy from (North) Italy and not Nice.

One thing I found especially interesting about that last part is that the writing style seemed to change right at the end, almost as if it was inserted by a different writer. I wonder if the story has been censored or rewritten as the original wasn't considered anti-Societist enough.

Random small mechanical issue with your Novalatina - given that the word corro is Spanish for "I run" it possibly isn't the best example of gratuitous Novalatina. Maybe use a different part of speech for the Latin so it doesn't resemble the narrator's native language quite as much. Unless this kind of thing is what you're going for in that passage.

I do really enjoy the future updates, although we get a fair bit of commentry on the site it's still good to see an in-universe discussion. As well as more Societist sources one thing I'd find quite interesting would be a verbal perspective from a timeline L person. The ideal would be their perspective on our history of course but I'm guessing that won't be happening for a bit. I'm guessing a doctrinate Societist might not consider it all that different from the Diversitarian world but a Diversitarian would I imagine be pretty creeped out by us in a similar way Diversitarianism and Societism unsettle us.

But anyway, I look forward to buying volume 4 and to seeing 7 and whatever your next project is going to be!

Buenos Aires, United Provinces of South America [internationally recognised] / “Zone1Urb1, Earth” [proclaimed]

“The People of Zones 6, 8 and 10, those whom you have known as norteamericaños, are not your enemy,” Caraíbas said. That did not go down well and there were scowls and mutters. “Rather, their rulers told them that you were theirs and hurled them at you, profiting from your suffering and division. Just as the traitor Monterroso did, they showed themselves unfit to govern. You now have a better form of governance, which will one day extend to that land, and all lands.” A more muted cheer. “To explain this further to you, I will now retire in favour of Amigo Jaimes.”

“The world has been divided into twenty-five Zones,” Jaimes said. “They are not like nations, for they are not driven by the happenstance of history and which miserable brute happened to crack his brother on the head first, but by a truly rational and scientific partition of the globe.” (Best not to mention that one border between Zones 4 and 12 which Jaimes was fairly certain had been the result of Cruz hiccupping whilst holding the ruler). “The Zones are deliberately designed so that they can never be internally self-sufficient; that they must always maintain trade with one another or perish. War will be impossible.”

Jaimes smiled. “But to truly ensure that those Zones’ rulers—named Zonal Rejes—can never develop an attachment to the mere patch of soil on which they stand, an attachment that might tempt them to send their loyal Amigos to fight against those of another Rej—the Rejes will be rotated every six months. So will elements of the governing civil service, the Funzon Publica Homana, on a different cycle to prevent the growth of personal loyalties. Always the only driving principle will be the welfare of the people: Publazon Benestarum!

The cheers echoed in his ears, though Jaimes felt there was a note of uncertainty behind them. Even the little Novalatina he was sprinkling into his speech seemed to be upsetting some of them. Just as well someone like Alvarez wasn’t up here. “Of course, given that only parts of three Zones are currently Liberated, the rotation may have to be more modest. In time, the appropriate assessments will find those who possess the skills worthy to be considered for the pool of Rejes. In the short term, it has been agreed that this Zone—Zone 1, with its capital here in its first city—shall be governed by m—”

I am surprised that there are only 25 Zones on the Societist Zone map.

1 - UPSA/Platinea(?)
6 - ENA
7 - Nusantara/Batavia
8 - ENA
10 - ENA
13 - UPSA+Peru
14 - UPSA/Chile(?)
17 - Europe

That is (almost) a third of the Zones and they do not seem to include territories from the two largest continents as well as a large part of the Novamund.

One thought that's just occurred to me is that the Diversitarian attitude to historical revisionism makes the discussion of Lisieux seem somewhat out of character in hindsight (though I can't recall the dates on those books). He seemed to be presented as an unequivocally bad guy without real redeeming features (which, tbf, some of his ideas could have been presented as proto-Diversitarian, but he was pretty bad on a lot of things I'd agree with them on), and his historical revisionism of the French Revolution as, at best, an annoyance, when now it seems like the modern Diversitarian approach might as well have been modelled on some aspects of his.

Lisieux is one of the bad guys, if not the bad guy of the (modern) history of one of the top Diversitarian powers and some of his policies like the Thouret Départements seem pro-Societist.

Last edited:
you know what I like about this timeline, its that these ideologies are soo different from our timeline, from adamantianism to Diversitarianism to Societism and ect and how they're all so different yet similar to otl. and something tells me they're going to be more new ideologies appearing in the 20th century and new versions of existing ideologies?

xsampa

Banned
Interesting how Societism uses the metaphor of switching tires and steering wheels. From the internal debates we've had and the references that Diversitarians employ, it's implied that Societism practices slavery as a form of demotion for political opponents or people who fail merit tests, and that this slavery eventually becomes hereditary as the Combine's class structure becomes more calcified due to the pressures of having a whole world staring down at it.

So the Zones are actually deliberately irrational in their "rationality"?
Societism sounds like is descending into unpleasantness very very quickly... well I know in-world narrators on both sides of the ideological divide have a casual approach to truth, to put it mildly, but that only adds to the unpleasantness.
Also, it is increasingly clear how and why the Anglo world at least sees the UPSA a precursor of the Final Society (both being enemies in their eyes obviously) as opposed to a completely different entity.

You know the most unsettling part of all that is the incredibly casual 'oh its good the Mapuche have already experienced complete cultural genocide, they're already ahead of the curve' comment.

You know the most unsettling part of all that is the incredibly casual 'oh its good the Mapuche have already experienced complete cultural genocide, they're already ahead of the curve' comment.
It may be Diversitarian perspective to stress that Societism is basically all about cultural genocide... of each and every existing culture on Earth.
They call it "The Bad Idea" for something after all.

Interesting how Societism uses the metaphor of switching tires and steering wheels. From the internal debates we've had and the references that Diversitarians employ, it's implied that Societism practices slavery as a form of demotion for political opponents or people who fail merit tests, and that this slavery eventually becomes hereditary as the Combine's class structure becomes more calcified due to the pressures of having a whole world staring down at it.

Diversitarian slander.

The Combine is just executing policies based on a political idea of a certain talented man from Zone 17 who later moved to Zone 1: It is irresponsible to waste a human life without trying to utilize it as much as possible.
“The former regime,” he wrote, speaking of Robespierre, “thought that the wheels of revolution must be lubricated by the oil of sacrifice. Such a view ignores the fact that the ‘oil’ is in fact made of destroyed wheels. If it had been allowed to continue, soon we would have a great deal of oil and no wheels to lubricate…the correct view must be that men are a resource, just like wheat or iron or coal[3], and should not be wasted. It is a gross irresponsibility not to extract their usefulness, whatever the circumstances.”

By the way, what are the first, second and the third society?

Tribe, city and nation, respectively.

Fantastic ending, and surprise surprise, the hardliners wrest the wheel from the moderates before the ink is even dried on the ceasefire/peace treaty. I second that vote for a societal Zonal map, it'll be interesting to see where a hiccough causing a ruler to shift and how that played out in the creation of the states for the final society. Also, the whole each region not being self sufficient but depending on the others is an economic policy right out of OTL USSR political economy. It'll be interesting to see if the Societists actually manage to get it to work.

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the further comments everyone.

I've been toying with the idea of a Zonal map for ages, but I have a feeling it might be something better left in the viewer's imagination.

I'm going to go into this more in the future, but one reason why Lisieux is invoked like Hitler in OTL (despite living over a century earlier) is because he is effectively the last/most recent historical figure that everyone agrees was evil, largely because the countries in which Diversitarianism was built are the ones whose foundational myths are built in part on resistance to/victory over Jacobin France.

I'm going to go into this more in the future, but one reason why Lisieux is invoked like Hitler in OTL (despite living over a century earlier) is because he is effectively the last/most recent historical figure that everyone agrees was evil, largely because the countries in which Diversitarianism was built are the ones whose foundational myths are built in part on resistance to/victory over Jacobin France.

That gives the term for the last part of the Jacobin Wars, the War of the Nations a new meaning.