Look to the West Volume IX: The Electric Circus

Would Timeline L researchers view the Fascist powers as essentially Lisieuxians with modern technology, and Imperial Britain/France as TTL’s Russia?
For the fascist powers, "Lisieuxians with modern tech" sounds about right.

I could see a diversitarian case being made for Imperial Britain, oddly enough. Not for the empire itself but for the fact that "England" was able to create such a vast empire. Without the 'stain' of anything comparable to Timeline L's French occupation, English culture remains 'pure.' There's not the same jolt to its constitutional order or national consciousness. A Timeline L researcher might say that OTL Britain retains more "Englishness" than Timeline L England. (At least during its imperial period, through maybe the 1940s. I expect Timeline L researchers would nod along to the "Rivers of Blood" speech and go yes, yes, of course.) Thus, Britain could create and maintain a global empire -- unlike in Timeline L -- because it had a "strong core" to its self-image.

The French Empire is probably seen more in a tragic light, evidence of the persistent weakness of France turning against its cultural heritage. France in Timeline L was about as close to "the" world power as there was. France in OTL is decidedly the silver medalist, and one troubled by domestic political turmoil for over a century because its revolutionary currents weren't "properly" purged and its rightful monarchy was undermined.

Now, Japan? That I wonder how they'll view. On the one hand, the success of Japan ITTL is probably more striking than even Prussia's success, and proves a lot of Timeline L's assumptions about their Japan are wrong. OTOH, people do like to cling to their existing beliefs even in the face of new evidence. I could imagine them saying "The Japanese are creatively sterile. Just look. They copied your Britain and Germany in the nineteenth century, then they pathetically tried to fill the role of hegemon that China played in East Asia, then they turned themselves into an appendage of America by copying its cultural exports, like baseball and (via Donald Duck) comics."

Last edited:
One argument the British made in regards to their Empire was that it would disentigrate into civil war and barbarism, particularly in India, and the use of protectorates (Northern Nigeria, Egypt, Iraq, Malaya) was to keep local social structures and cultures intact so that is a sort of diversitarian reasoning

Plus it ruled over many different types of peoples:
- Native Americans
- Africans
- other Europeans
- Arabs
- Turks (Cyprus, British occupation of Constantinople)
- iranic people (baluchis, pashtuns, occupation of iran in ww1 and ww2)
- east asians (Hong Kong)
-malays
- burmese
- melanesians

Last edited:
The French Empire is probably seen more in a tragic light, evidence of the persistent weakness of France turning against its cultural heritage. France in Timeline L was about as close to "the" world power as there was. France in OTL is decidedly the silver medalist, and one troubled by domestic political turmoil for over a century because its revolutionary currents weren't "properly" purged and its rightful monarchy was undermined.
The way France in timeline L is viewed seems to be very negative, for while they were an empire of Europe during the 19th century, they could also be seen as a bunch of idiots who destroy everything they touch thanks to their very bungled foreign policy, there neutrality in the paradox war and being seen as the ones to spread the combined influence across the world, the french empire of timeline L would probably be seen more negative in a past and present tenses.

Speaking about France in Timeline L, I do wonder how the representatives of French Australia are responding to the independence crisis that is happening in their homeland?

So I was looking over the most recent update and does the snippet at the beginning imply there's a Societist MCP with a Novalatina name? Am I imagining it?

More that he uses one with Societists, and his affiliation is semi-secret
Ah that makes more sense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the sheer overwhelming focus on singular individualized perceptions by the overwhelming majority of the world is a ticking time bomb. Staid and old fashioned political system aside a complete collapse of global politics and social systems is practically inevitable.

Ah that makes more sense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the sheer overwhelming focus on singular individualized perceptions by the overwhelming majority of the world is a ticking time bomb. Staid and old fashioned political system aside a complete collapse of global politics and social systems is practically inevitable.
Maybe Novalatina is a secret lingua franca as shown in the example of the Bisnagi and Thai people using it in place of English

Maybe Novalatina is a secret lingua franca as shown in the example of the Bisnagi and Thai people using it in place of English
Could be 🤔 When balkanization, climate change decaying social trust/material stability bring the whole thing crashing down the resulting Societist resurgence would be really interesting

Could be 🤔 When balkanization, climate change decaying social trust/material stability bring the whole thing crashing down the resulting Societist resurgence would be really interesting
How exactly do the ASN interact with Danubia and the Eternal State if they dislike societist doctrine, noted ideological differences aside? Are there groups advocating say, Greek/Bulgar/Serb/Hungarian re-independence?

Last edited:
How exactly do the ASN interact with Danubia and the Eternal State if they dislike societist doctrine, noted ideological differences aside? Are there groups advocating say, Greek/Bulgar/Serb/Hungarian re-independence?
I think it depends, on the one hand there'd be those advocating rollback and ethnogenesis, on the other without the Combine around there might be a thought that the Gray Societists can be absorbed into the world system, given the lip-service position that of course Societism with national characteristics can be an option* in the Diversitarian marketplace of ideas guys!

*With the understanding that all the totally not-glowy (😉) anti-Societist vandals/rioters mean that would never possibly happen

I wonder if Nusantara will eventually become one country thanks to societist rule - plus no one wants to restore the VOC or the Sultanate of Mataram when both have been dead since ~1910

I wonder if Nusantara will eventually become one country thanks to societist rule - plus no one wants to restore the VOC or the Sultanate of Mataram when both have been dead since ~1910
No way in hell, Nusantara will be split up into hundreds of polities all forced to live the themepark version of their extinguished culture and fight about thousand year old HPoCs until it takes.

When it comes to what @Lavanya Six wrote about TTL America versus OTL America INCLUDING *Carolina in both nations, it's worth noting that in TTL in one of the last entries in last volume that the de-facto Chief of Staff of Carolina stumbled over saying the word "Americans" regarding the ENA. And if I remember right that the POV character realized the Carolinians never truly broke off from the feeling of being one people with the Empire. And that includes by the present day of LTTW it was dropped in an entry prologue quote (I forget which one, I apologize) that the King of Carolina was the Emperor of North America in personal union.

TTL trying to figure out climate change, let alone come to any actual solutions, makes me even less hopeful than our world.

It would be morbidly hilarious if Societism gets a shot in the arm because of it, though. Sanchez’s ghost gets the last laugh, I guess.

In other news my computer is updating, foiling plans for flags for my little scenario, so here were my ideas for the flags:
  • The Eye: The flag of the Great and Bountiful Human Empire uses a rounded clockwise swastika in red (with the empty space gold) on a black field to retain the eye motif. Ratio- 5:8
  • The Star: The new flag of the Hermandad incorporates some color changes and TTL Mentian symbolism. Take the standard Hermandad flag and flip it upside down, then make all the white parts gold, the gold parts red, and the red parts purple. Ratio- 9:14 (OTL the ratio of the Argentinian flag)
    • The United People's Provinces of Meridia doesn't flip its flag, but it does change the colors in line with those mentioned above.
  • The Prism: Basically the same design as the Seychelles, except the bottom left corner is white (suggesting a prism) and the colors are (clockwise from top right) orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Red is deliberately avoided out of anti-Mentian feeling. Ratio: whatever the one for the national flag of the country it's being used in is.

Thande

Donor
The next update will be a few hours later than usual as I was not able to write yesterday due to the Coronation and need to finish the last bit now. God Save the King.

Thande

Donor
The next update will be a few hours later than usual as I was not able to write yesterday due to the Coronation and need to finish the last bit now. God Save the King.
Managed to finish it off in between being roped in to carry the chairs for an impromptu street party... part #316 follows, kind of a mirror to 315.

Also, in an unintentional meta-commentary to the subject matter, I managed to accidentally set Word to French language style by copy-pasting and now can't figure out how to stop it putting in spaces before question marks ?