Look to the West: Thread III, Volume IV (Tottenham Nil)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, you lot, you wanted a map, you're getting a map! Of 1860 so I can show a united Germany. A couple of minor spoilers for things I couldn't fit into Volume IV, but nothing too significant...

Did the Portuguese revolutionaries lose a bit of Galcia and La Coruña as well? Is that one of the spoilers or did I miss when they lost those areas?

Well, the good thing about the format of TTL is that you can chalk this up to the quotes being from different history books by authors with different axes to grind ;) I'm sure one could come up with similar "inconsistencies" in OTL based on history books--in fact I know I can, I could "prove" that William Pitt was both pro- and anti- something based on books I own.

Well...

Was this a factor in its restraint towards Poland?

That explains it, doesn't it? ;)
Some people just do not seem (really) to care about Poland, inclusive the government of certain great power in the east whose global influence keeps growing.

I will probably write more about it in Volume V, I just wanted to end this volume with a brief summary of it to act as a bookend to part #151 at the beginning.

Thanks. :)

Did the Portuguese revolutionaries lose a bit of Galcia and La Coruña as well? Is that one of the spoilers or did I miss when they lost those areas?

See:
It seems to be a running gag that I never find a good place to discuss Navarre... anyway, I'll cover territorial changes in detail in a later update, but the only major one was that Spain got back its pre-1794 border with Portugal.

That suggestion of either Societist Danubia (or otherwise a Societist group in Danubia) is interesting. I guess the Diversitarians(sic) are going to have a token "evil" team-mate. :D

Danubia sounds proto-Diversitarian already with the pseudo-millet system. My wager is the Viennese School is a group of congenital contrarians who have no real influence outside the halls of academia. You know, like the Frankfurt School Marxists. They probably write thick tomes of impenetrable curmudgeonly prose that no-one actually reads, though in certain circles it's trendy to say you have.

Thande

Donor
Soviet you say? Does this mean that there'll be a Revolution in Russia in this timeline, perhaps between Societist and Diversitarian factions? Would certainly explain the earlier quote (I forget where) about Russia producing both hardline diversitarians and societists?
I'm surprised nobody noticed/pointed this line out till now, it was intended to be a major 'WTF moment' for the reader.

It's the Imperial Soviet.

Yeah, Soviet is just the word for 'Council', so it's perfectly reasonable to have it refer to something different

And then you two have to spoil the WTF-ness with your logic and reason anyway :p

I was going to answer this but I see Grand Prince Paul II already did.

I worry sometimes that Russia's lack of action against Poland up till now isn't plausible, but my thinking is that the back-and-forth involvement in Lithuania and its importance in control of the Baltic has consumed the attention of Russia's policy in that area. That and the fact that until the 'Polish Question' just before the Popular Wars, Poland was tied to the rising power of Saxony.

Last edited:
That explains it, doesn't it? ;)
Some people just do not seem (really) to care about Poland, inclusive the government of certain great power in the east whose global influence keeps growing.

I'm sure TTL's Poland would be quite all right with Russia not caring about it. Since Russia still modified the border, it must have cared for some reason or other - and yet something stopped it from imposing significant changes. Simultaneous military efforts in Scandinavia, Lithuania and even California taxing Russia's economy seem to be the best explanation, but we'll have to wait until volume 5 to know for sure.

I'm surprised nobody noticed/pointed this line out till now, it was intended to be a major 'WTF moment' for the reader.

Not enough details and after Portugal's unexpected fall to Neo-Jacobinism another implied revolution in Russia is not a big deal.

I worry sometimes that Russia's lack of action against Poland up till now isn't plausible,

Why exactly?
There is no inherited Russian desire to dominate Poland.
LttW's post-PLC Poland does not control any territories Russia cares about and Poland does not try to reclaim its lost empire either.
Poland and Russia are not ideological enemies and the Russian rulers have no influence in Poland to defend and/or expand and vice versa.

the fact that until the 'Polish Question' just before the Popular Wars, Poland was tied to the rising power of Saxony.

More importantly, Poland was not tied to a state that was Russia's enemy or rival.
Otherwise, the notion to weaken and control Poland would have some merit for the Russian government.

I'm sure TTL's Poland would be quite all right with Russia not caring about it. Since Russia still modified the border, it must have cared for some reason or other - and yet something stopped it from imposing significant changes.

Poland had to lose its empire in Eastern Europe.
Afterwards, Russia lost interest in Central Europe.

Since my questions seem to have been missed (or is it that Thande doesn't like me anymore? Did I post THAT MAP once too often? :( :p )

Does this TL see more Islamicization of North India as a result of the Jihad and its aftermath, or is the Jihad essentially a short-lived storm that blows through and smashes a lot of stuff but fails to change the basic religious makeup much?

So the "cold war" in this world will ultimately be a mostly-unified Superpower Societist Latin America and allies vs Superpower Diversitarian North American Empire and allies (making Looking To the West what people do ATL as they did the US-Soviet confrontation OTL), with the Russians something of a third-party wild card? Where do the Chinese fit in? Or would answering any of this give away too much?

And is Bohemia joining Germany addressed somewhere? In terms of national identity - have they been more Germanized than OTL? Think of themselves as "Germans of Slav ethnicity?" Or is it just the German minority is larger and more firmly in charge?

best,
Bruce

Does this TL see more Islamicization of North India as a result of the Jihad and its aftermath, or is the Jihad essentially a short-lived storm that blows through and smashes a lot of stuff but fails to change the basic religious makeup much?

Reading the TL, I'd imagine Northern India would have a larger population of Muslims by default. The process of social mobilisation wasn't changed completely by the beginning of the 18th century, and so you would have many Hindus speaking the same way as Muslims ("Bismillah" etc.) and convert, just as Noorul Huq (although he's a different case) has.

The Great Jihad might be the catastrophic event that stops the 'organic conversion' going on in the Neo-Mughal Empire; the events concerning the Mahdi certainly would alienate many recent converts, and his violent tendencies might have upset the traditionally Sufi-based Islam of Northern India even more than Afghan rule might've.

A map of India would be great to see, as I'd like to know where the Sikh territories start and end.

German Bohemias should be the majority in Wettin Bohemia thanks to the additional millions of Germans from Silesia.

Hmm. Using 1925 numbers, Silesia (Prussian upper and lower) would be around 4.5 million of which no more than 4 million are going to be ethnic German, while in Bohemia-Moravia (1921 numbers) 6.86 millions of Czechs and Poles and 3.06 million Czech Germans. So probably a German majority, but a narrow one. Was there much immigration of Germans out of Bohemia before WWI?

Hmm. Using 1925 numbers, Silesia (Prussian upper and lower) would be around 4.5 million of which no more than 4 million are going to be ethnic German, while in Bohemia-Moravia (1921 numbers) 6.86 millions of Czechs and Poles and 3.06 million Czech Germans.

You have to take into account that Wettin Bohemia does not include much of Upper Silesia (annexed by Poland) and two-thirds of Moravia (retained by the Austrian Habsburgs).
Most of Silesia's non-Germans lived in Upper Silesia and in Moravia Germans were a smaller minority (27,6 %) than in Bohemia (37,3 % in 1900).

Thande

Donor
Since my questions seem to have been missed (or is it that Thande doesn't like me anymore? Did I post THAT MAP once too often? :( :p )

So the "cold war" in this world will ultimately be a mostly-unified Superpower Societist Latin America and allies vs Superpower Diversitarian North American Empire and allies (making Looking To the West what people do ATL as they did the US-Soviet confrontation OTL), with the Russians something of a third-party wild card? Where do the Chinese fit in? Or would answering any of this give away too much?

And is Bohemia joining Germany addressed somewhere? In terms of national identity - have they been more Germanized than OTL? Think of themselves as "Germans of Slav ethnicity?" Or is it just the German minority is larger and more firmly in charge?

best,
Bruce
As you say, it's not that I didn't see your posts, I just don't respond to queries when the answers would be big world-changing spoilers and also I might not have decided yet. :p

As for Bohemia--besides the demographics discussion above, bear in mind that in OTL at this point the area was generally considered German, German was the official language, etc. I believe when Jerome K. Jerome went to Prague in 1913 he said that bilingual street signs were a fairly recent phenomenon. A possible analogy might be how Wales was just treated as part of England until relatively recently, despite having a majority of non-English people who speak a different language.

You have to take into account that Wettin Bohemia does not include much of Upper Silesia (annexed by Poland) and two-thirds of Moravia (retained by the Austrian Habsburgs).
Most of Silesia's non-Germans lived in Upper Silesia and in Moravia Germans were a smaller minority (27,6 %) than in Bohemia (37,3 % in 1900).
Indeed.

Just an idle thought that struck me today:

I was a bit regretful about the "normalization" of the Iroquois, and the assimilation discussed. But the Kingdom of North America is going to end up the first great Diversitarian power. We've already heard about the celebration and promotion of Carolinian culture, for one. So actually, this may be one of the best timelines ever done in terms of the survival of Native American languages despite white settlement.

At this point angry Supremacists have forced open immigration into the three Iroquoian provinces (they're provinces, right?) and likely you have a lot of bigoted ideologues moving in and expecting the locals to pick up English. But honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see their descendants fifty years later deliberately promoting Iroquois ceremonies and trying to pick up the languages.

Just an idle thought that struck me today:

I was a bit regretful about the "normalization" of the Iroquois, and the assimilation discussed. But the Kingdom of North America is going to end up the first great Diversitarian power. We've already heard about the celebration and promotion of Carolinian culture, for one. So actually, this may be one of the best timelines ever done in terms of the survival of Native American languages despite white settlement.

At this point angry Supremacists have forced open immigration into the three Iroquoian provinces (they're provinces, right?) and likely you have a lot of bigoted ideologues moving in and expecting the locals to pick up English. But honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see their descendants fifty years later deliberately promoting Iroquois ceremonies and trying to pick up the languages.

I personally don't remember about any praise about Carolinian culture, but I'll be gladly illuminated. What I do remember though, is the Office of cultural homogenization in Carolina, so I don't know how this survival of the Native American languages will play out. But there is also the Superior republic, which could mean at least something.

I personally don't remember about any praise about Carolinian culture, but I'll be gladly illuminated. What I do remember though, is the Office of cultural homogenization in Carolina, so I don't know how this survival of the Native American languages will play out. But there is also the Superior republic, which could mean at least something.

It was less than ten updates ago, IIRC. Can't find it for you easily on this device, but it's from just before the beginning of the war. And more recently, it was quite clear that the OCH (or whatever) was a factor in Meridian, not American, Carolina.

Part #198: Quarantine Breached

There was a brief pause in the war in the winter of 1849, while the eyes of the world were as often turned to America’s own war as to Germany. It was at this point that the Uppsala Statskupp broke out. The existence of ‘Congress Sweden’, the rather pathetic Russian-puppet remnant of an independent Swedish state achieved by the Stockholm Conspiracy of the Popular Wars, had never appeared to be a stable state of affairs. The Conspiracy had been born as much of wistful nostalgia by Swedish nobles for the ‘good old days’ before Jacobinism was unleashed on the world as it was of Swedish nationalism, and this disparity had gradually grown stronger during the Democratic Experiment era: a name that did not lend itself at all well to the arbitrary and vapid rule of the Conspirators, who mostly based themselves in Helsingfors rather than the titular capital of Uppsala.

Well, seeing that Adolf Frederick in this timeline's successor was Charles XIII (a ATL-brother of Gustav III and OTL Charles XIII) who didn't go through with a coup d'etat as Gustav III did (completely plausible, Gustav III's younger brothers OTL were nowhere near as skilled politicians as he was) with the result of the Age of Liberty continuing well beyond 1772, this desire to return to "the good old days" is a bit interesting.

During the Age of Liberty, the King was constitutionally a rubber stamp. And I mean that literally. Making a distinction between the office of the King and the person of the King, they at one point established in OTL constitutionally that even if the King personally refused to give assent to a bill the Riksdag had passed, the office of the King was constitutionally obliged to give said assent, to the point where the Riksdag actually had a stamp made of his signature and would just put it on any bill they passed as his own views were totally irrelevant.

I can only assume that when the Danish monarchy gained the Swedish crown as well, they managed to exploit the situation to have the constitution re-written (we Swedes have, historically been very fond of re-writing the constitution from scratch) restoring some of the monarchy's power, presumably after the constitutional monarchy of the Danish pattern.

Ironically, historically, the peasants of Sweden have been strongly in favour of a strong Crown, if not outright absolutism, as they regarded the King as their ally to save them from the abusive and incompetent rule of the Byzantine Riksdag, civil servants and noblemen.

So basically, in wishing to wind the clock backwards, the Stockholm conspirators want to restore power to an elected national assembly at the expense of the rule of a monarch. In that sense, it would probably not be unfair to call them quasi-Adamantine.

Several of the more prominent Conspirators were however unfortunate enough to be staying in the latter when the resentment of the ordinary people of Congress Sweden for the state of affairs finally came to a head in January 1850. An explosion demolished one of the towers of Uppsala Castle and in the resulting confusion many of the ruling Conspirators were slain by infiltrators. Revolutionaries led by Mads Svedalius, a Scanian-born professor at the University of Uppsala—which had increasingly fallen into a sad state of decay since the Popular Wars and been subject to Russian censorship—seized power and proclaimed the end of the farcical claimant Kingdom of Sweden, calling for the return of all former Congress Sweden territory to the united Kingdom of Scandinavia as part of the Nordic Empire.

Hurray! Got my cameo! :D

Very much look forward to see what my character will do next, though I anticipate he may not have good things coming for him. The Danes will very likely probably blame his little revolution for causing a distraction that made them lose so badly...

According to #143, Uppsala was only the de jure capital of Congress Sweden and Helsingfors the de facto capital because the former was within range of Nordic artillery.
What were so many ruling Conspirators doing in Uppsala instead of the true capital of their realm?

Oh, that would be easy to explain away. Into the 19th century OTL, the Riksdags would occasionally be held in cities other than Stockholm. There have been Riksdags in Västerås, Söderköping, Gävle, etc. Often this was as a show of royal favour and recignition to the city, but sometimes it has more sinister purposes behind it. If you put the riksdag in a more obscure, smaller town, it would be easy to control the people coming in and out, and some kings liked to use this to keep their political enemies in check.

Anyway, I anticipate that as Alexander I did in OTL, the capital of Finland will have been moved from Åbo/Turku to Helsingfors/Helsinki for the simple reason that it is closer to St. Petersburg and thus makes Russian administration easier. It's probable that most Riksdags since the Russian de facto conquest have been held in Åbo and Helsingfors. However, since this does grant Finland-Swedish noblemen special favour and influence, peradventure it just so happened that they decided to hold a Riksdag for once in Sweden proper? And with Denmark engaged in war down in Germany, perhaps they thought that it would be safe to hold it in Uppsala, one of the most historically important cities in Sweden.

So, they're all assembled, and then... well, chaos.

Thande

Donor
During the Age of Liberty, the King was constitutionally a rubber stamp. And I mean that literally. Making a distinction between the office of the King and the person of the King, they at one point established in OTL constitutionally that even if the King personally refused to give assent to a bill the Riksdag had passed, the office of the King was constitutionally obliged to give said assent, to the point where the Riksdag actually had a stamp made of his signature and would just put it on any bill they passed as his own views were totally irrelevant.

I can only assume that when the Danish monarchy gained the Swedish crown as well, they managed to exploit the situation to have the constitution re-written (we Swedes have, historically been very fond of re-writing the constitution from scratch) restoring some of the monarchy's power, presumably after the constitutional monarchy of the Danish pattern.

Ironically, historically, the peasants of Sweden have been strongly in favour of a strong Crown, if not outright absolutism, as they regarded the King as their ally to save them from the abusive and incompetent rule of the Byzantine Riksdag, civil servants and noblemen.

So basically, in wishing to wind the clock backwards, the Stockholm conspirators want to restore power to an elected national assembly at the expense of the rule of a monarch. In that sense, it would probably not be unfair to call them quasi-Adamantine.
I knew some of this, but the literal rubber-stamp is brilliant :D

There is obviously a comparison to be made with England and how the monarchy and the commoners would sometimes team up against the barons (one reason why some have argued it is questionable to consider Magna Carta as document forming the foundation of popular, as opposed to aristocratic, liberty). I remember adding an in-TL aside in a book over whether historians should group the Stockholm Conspirators with 'Populists' or not so the point you raise there is quite relevant.

I knew some of this, but the literal rubber-stamp is brilliant :D

Actually, while I have managed to dig up the Acts of the Riksdag establishing all of this as constitutional law, I must, much to my annoyance admit that I have not been able to find anything explicitly saying what particular material the stamp was made of. It may not necessarily have been rubber.

Gustav III had the stamp destroyed upon his coup d'etat in 1772. Not particularly surprising. If there ever was a physical object symbolizing the utter subjugation of the monarchy during the Age of Liberty, it was that stamp. But it's annoying, because it precluded me from inspecting it myself and trying to determine the material.

I will go into detail about this whole story for my lengthy, lengthy prologue for my Strangerverse timeline. Yeah, I know I've been promising it for years, but I am f*cking working on it and I have dozens of pages already written up, and...! Well, one day. One beautiful day... ;)

There is obviously a comparison to be made with England and how the monarchy and the commoners would sometimes team up against the barons (one reason why some have argued it is questionable to consider Magna Carta as document forming the foundation of popular, as opposed to aristocratic, liberty).

Just because the Barons and Commoners teamed up sometimes doesn't mean the Commoners and King weren't teaming up more often. Now when Royalty and Nobility team up the nation suffers.

As for the final chapter, I very much liked the conflicting accounts of Pablo Sanchez last words, as I indeed appreciate very much the censorship, redactions, modifications and outright lies that appear in your history books. I think you're really the only one on this forum who have properly managed to make use of the fact that historians aren't omniscient, neutral objective observers, sometimes giving different interpretations of events. The three differing accounts of Pablo Sanchez' last words were therefore pretty good as the very feel of your timeline of there being people out there actively trying to falsify history.

In particular, I liked this part.

“But no—I see now that we cannot rely on the inevitable evolution of the human race towards Societist union. Perhaps indeed that would happen in the absence of outside interference, but such is not the world we live in. Those with a vested interest in maintaining a bitterly divided earth, be they the among the few, powerful rich or the weak but numerous poor, are constantly working to hold back that final step in the evolution of human society. Indeed, it is akin to attempting to study Señor Paley’s theories on an island populated by natives who selectively kill certain of its beasts—the natural mechanism is made dysfunctional by human intervention.

“Therefore the balance must be restored by equal and diametrically opposed human intervention. Those who have seen the truth of Societism can no longer stand aloof from the very Society they seek to see transformed—nay, to help transform!

As a Popperian, I like the very special effect this (presumed) piece of pseudepigrapha by Raúl Caraíbas will have on the development of Societism. Whereas both Whiggish historiography and Marxism have traditionally been highly historicist in nature (The march of towards liberal democracy/communism is as inevitable as the fact that the entropy of the Universe will increase!), this little addition changes Societism from being (as Sanchez appears to have been) historicist to actually saying that there's no inherent law of nature dictating that humanity will move towards the Final Society, or rather, that is a special condition that only applies if you don't have "enough people interfering". Instead, it is something that must actively be sought. Very interesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.