Look to the West: Thread III, Volume IV (Tottenham Nil)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
So *Pittsburgh then, in Western PA?

Yes. There's a full list of the constituencies corresponding to that map here (NB I suspect there are still some mistakes in the figures, despite my best efforts).

Of course in TTL, "western Pennsylvania" is in OTL Nebraska ;)

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Contraction of 'Harrisborough' that goes the same way as Edinburgh.

They only really started to standardise once the Post Service came along OTL and tried to make everybody go to 'Burg or 'Boro

Indeed; the US Postal Service tried to force Pittsburgh to be Pittsburg for years before they backed down (and at one point they wanted New York to be 'Newyork' :rolleyes: ). And in this era spelling was far from standardised: Dickens calls it Pittsburg in his writings about his visit to America in the 1840s.

Damnit Thande! Everytime you post in this thread I get all excited thinking it's an update! you're such a tease!

Thande

Donor
Damnit Thande! Everytime you post in this thread I get all excited thinking it's an update! you're such a tease!

I should warn you there will be fewer updates for a while because I am heading into a very busy time at work, where I am basically in charge because everyone else is in China. But feel free to keep the discussion going because I have already got some new ideas from people commenting on the last few updates.

Now I'm just curious how Sanchez wants to "cure" humanity.
My guess is that he plans on creating a hierarchical soceity, but a theoretically meritocratic one, where one's place in soceity is determined by personality tests or some other arbitrary system.

Quick map I did to sum up the culmination of the radical events that have happened since the last comprehensive world map. Feel free to nitpick (reasonably relevant) details. ;)

lttw1841.png

Color-scheme wise for the ENA, it's fully independent and took over *British Australia and all of Britain's western hemispheric possessions (including Susan-Mary, as far as I can remember), as well as crushing the Seven Fires Confederacy.

Granted, having America take the Dominion color as its in-universe color scheme would be delightful irony. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention - excellent work in any event, Roberto!

I've made a few adjustments to the map, but I'd like to hear more feedback before I post the new version. Can anyone find any updates on India since the 1820s?

I've made a few adjustments to the map, but I'd like to hear more feedback before I post the new version.

- Belgium/Reunited Netherlands controls Kaapstad, capital of the Cape colony and Tasmanstad, the main settlement of Nieuw Hollande

- the Cape Republic and the Batavian Republic need seperate colours

- the Empire of New Spain and Old Spain are re-united, something what the map does not show

- Basra is the capital of the Persian-dominated Emirate of Basra

- Mongolia was re-conquered by Beiqing China

- Corea's new northern territory is smaller

Can anyone find any updates on India since the 1820s?

#151 is the most recent India update.

- Belgium/Reunited Netherlands controls Kaapstad, capital of the Cape colony and Tasmanstad, the main settlement of Nieuw Hollande

- the Cape Republic and the Batavian Republic need seperate colours

- the Empire of New Spain and Old Spain are re-united, something what the map does not show

- Basra is the capital of the Persian-dominated Emirate of Basra

- Mongolia was re-conquered by Beiqing China

- Corea's new northern territory is smaller

#151 is the most recent India update.

Thanks Prince. Keep 'em coming. :cool:

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Color-scheme wise for the ENA, it's fully independent and took over *British Australia and all of Britain's western hemispheric possessions (including Susan-Mary, as far as I can remember), as well as crushing the Seven Fires Confederacy.

Granted, having America take the Dominion color as its in-universe color scheme would be delightful irony. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention - excellent work in any event, Roberto!

Hrm....

Based on the themes of the TL, it'd make more sense to put Great Britain in the Dominion color scheme and leave America in the British. Seeing as UCS doesn't really have that level of flexibility, though, perhaps America in the dominion color with an outline in the US color? Or vice versa?

Didn't Siam lose more ground in Burma?

The Korean/Russian border is indeed wrong.

When did the UPSA and EWI give their territory to greater Guyana? Could have sworn it was before 1841....

And what's with the Ottoman Empire? I though Russia secured the Caucasus in the time of troubles.

Hrm....

Based on the themes of the TL, it'd make more sense to put Great Britain in the Dominion color scheme and leave America in the British. Seeing as UCS doesn't really have that level of flexibility, though, perhaps America in the dominion color with an outline in the US color? Or vice versa?

I know what you you mean about the UCS, especially when you have certain nations not existing or having a different relationship. This is going to be my problem when I develop the Americas in my TL.

And what's with the Ottoman Empire? I though Russia secured the Caucasus in the time of troubles.

Pretty sure it was only part of the Caucasus they secured. Might be completely wrong. All I remember about that region in terms of Russia, was during the Jacobian Wars, that their was a German settler guy who became a Cossack from around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.