Look to the West -- Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say that the Coronation of the Hun refers either to the Centrasian idea or perhaps the coronation of a German king over the ENA.

The latter. One of the very first chapters of LttW was called the Coronation of the Hun, and referred to Frederick's becoming Emperor of the newly-formed ENA. I can't say for sure what the Second Coronation of the Hun would be, but this is obviously an allusion to that previous episode in LttW history.

Thande

Donor
I am hoping to update as soon as I get my internet back on my good-writing computer. I will probably start a new thread for the next part though. In the meantime I'm slowly updating the laconic TL with the information from Volume III--which is sometimes problematic (I've just had to resolve a situation where King Ferdinand of Italy managed to die twice).

I am hoping to update as soon as I get my internet back on my good-writing computer. I will probably start a new thread for the next part though. In the meantime I'm slowly updating the laconic TL with the information from Volume III--which is sometimes problematic (I've just had to resolve a situation where King Ferdinand of Italy managed to die twice).

Clearly the first time was just him trying to make people think he was dead.:D

I am hoping to update as soon as I get my internet back on my good-writing computer. I will probably start a new thread for the next part though.

Ah, good to hear! I had been wondering whether all the activity on the wiki might be a sign of an impending update...

I'm glad to hear it. I'll be eagerly awaiting Volume IV.

I personally think Volume IV should be on Thread II -- Thread I managed to get quite a bit bigger before it was closed. It's your timeline, of course.

Thande

Donor
I personally think Volume IV should be on Thread II -- Thread I managed to get quite a bit bigger before it was closed. It's your timeline, of course.

I realise that. It's different now because I didn't start splitting it into fifty part Volumes until I was already halfway through what became Volume II. I now start each volume with a little thematic title page aside thing (the Runnymede flag and the Newton quote for this volume, I went back and made them for the earlier volumes about Prince Frederick and the French Revolution respectively) so now I would ideally like to give each volume its own thread so the title page aside is the first thing people see when they look at the first page of the thread, rather than it being lost halfway down page 79 of a multi-volume thread.

Hey, I am currently re-reading the whole thing, is there anywhere handy where I can see maps made of the TL? Still having hard time keeping all the borders, places and names and putting them on the map...

Thande

Donor
Hey, I am currently re-reading the whole thing, is there anywhere handy where I can see maps made of the TL? Still having hard time keeping all the borders, places and names and putting them on the map...

I keep meaning to put maps on the wiki, but the trouble is, as I wrote this TL I got a more in depth knowledge of history and so a lot of the earlier maps have errors on I originally missed, so coming up with a canon set is throughout history is a task I dread. Fortunately I know exactly the same thing happened with Decades of Darkness, so at least I'm in good company.

mowque

Banned

I always hate that.

"Wait..didn't I kill that leader already?"

Thande

Donor
While updating the laconic TL (I'm up to part #131 now), I noticed a continuity error--the bits with Luigi of Naples imply he came to the throne after the New Spanish retook southern Aragon, but that isn't actually what the dates say. Therefore I'll have to slightly rewrite that part at some point (the dates and order of events will stand, just the language about Naples' lack of response to the loss of southern Aragon will be altered somewhat).

Just leaving a note here so I don't forget it. (Also--still need to remove reference to Henry Benedict Stuart being phlogisticated, Gennaro I being referred to as Charles the Somethingth by accident, and William II of Hesse-Kassel being mistakenly called Charles II at one point).

The reason why I'm recording these continuity errors for fixes is because I'm toying with the idea of e-publishing a compilation of LTTW, with some enhancements to the earlier parts, maps, supplementary material, etc.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Yes! That sounds excellent!

Don't worry, it won't be vanishing from AH.com. I believe I can sell it using the DVD business model, i.e. special features (maps, family trees etc) and director's commentary (I'll talk about my influences in an introduction to each volume).

Don't worry, it won't be vanishing from AH.com. I believe I can sell it using the DVD business model, i.e. special features (maps, family trees etc) and director's commentary (I'll talk about my influences in an introduction to each volume).

Feel free to request bonus material.

Thande

Donor
Feel free to request bonus material.

Thanks for the offer.

At the moment I'm thinking a lot of people who download this (assuming people will) will be reading it on a small black and white screen, so I'll probably want to make a few simplified outline maps (of the type one generally gets in history books, which arguably deepens the immersion I suppose) rather than putting in flashy masterpieces like Nugax has contributed in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.