Long May He Serve

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by APTerminator, Jun 9, 2019.

1. APTerminator New Member

Synopsis
    Suppose, if only for a minute, what if the longest serving president in America had served a little longer? Welcome to Long May He Serve, my timeline on that what if. We'll follow events starting off from April 12, when FDR actually died, and go on for as long as I can. So sit back in your chair and enjoy the read.
    [​IMG]
    “My Fellow Americans, shortly after 8 am local time, one United States Army Air Force bomber, carrying a single bomb, dropped it’s payload on the city of Hiroshima, Japan. One bomb completely destroyed the military, industrial, and transportation usefulness of Hiroshima. In conjunction with the Soviet attack on Hokkaido today, and her continued assault into Manchuria, the United Nations have dealt a fatal blow to the Japanese Empire. We have shown that we are capable, and willing, to use any means necessary to end her ability to make war. We have shown we have an overwhelming superiority in technology, manpower, materiel, and strategy. Years were spent on the development of this atomic weapon, the likes of which have never been seen. With one bomber we can now do the work of three-hundred. The nation, along with our allies, has spent over two billion dollars in developing this weapon. We are spending millions more to produce identical weapons like it. And we will spend billions more to ensure the surrender of the empire of Japan.”
    -Franklin D Roosevelt, August 1945

April, 1945
    "I met that day to discuss with the President the situation in Germany and the Pacific. The President had been in Warm Springs for over a week and I felt if I visited him personally it would benefit us all. I remember meeting the president as he was swimming in his pool, an odd sight for me considering how he was crippled. After he noticed me though he simply backpedaled towards me and placed himself on the steps so he could sit and listen. We talked of the recent mass engagement with the German Jet fighters, the 262s, and of many other things like Okinawa. We had agreed about the need to capture the German command alive when he asked rather impatiently however of the progress of the Atomic Bomb.

I informed him that the scientists at Los Alamos, in their infinite glory, had decided that they would dawdle and not have a full scale test ready until they had fine tuned their scientific instruments. Roosevelt noticed I was irritable at this, and calmed me by saying they would end the war months earlier, so let them get everything right. I also distinctly remember the President suggesting that the Soviets be informed of the project, as a means of establishing trust, something that was lacking at the time. The British were hellbent on keeping the information away from Stalin, and I was at first aghast. But after explaining that it could be a way to lure the Russians into war with Japan, I acquiesced. It was at that time that some aids came and put the President in his wheelchair, and he left for lunch."
    -Former War Secretary Henry Stimson, 'The War from Washington', 1951

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 13: The Red Army successfully captures Vienna, flushing out the final pockets of Nazi resistance. Forces there begin to mass for a push north into Czechoslovakia.

Visiting the liberated Ohrdruf Concentration Camp, George Patton, Dwight Eisenhower, and Omar Bradley experience first hand the horrors of the holocaust. Patton vomits at the sight of a corpse pile, while Eisenhower starts ordering photographic and film evidence to be taken. He will also order the villagers of nearby towns to come and witness these atrocities.

April 14: George S Patton of the US 3rd Army is promoted to a four star general. His promotion was held back for months due to concern for his blunt command style. Receiving orders to head towards Bavaria and the Czechoslovak border, he starts making preparations.

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz sends out his final offensive, Wolfpack Seewolf, 6 total U-boats, in an attempt to disrupt and sink allied shipping in the western Atlantic. The US & UK send out several destroyer squadrons to hunt down the subs immediately, believing they carry V2 rockets destined for the Eastern Seaboard.

April 16: President Roosevelt embarks upon a transcontinental trip by train to open the UNCIO conference in San Francisco. The trip is however part of a larger campaign to garner further support for FDR from the American people.

Red Army forces, headed by Marshals Georgy Zhukov, Konstantin Rokossovsky & Ivan Konev begin the assault on Berlin, with the attack on Seelow Heights directly east of the city. The 2nd Belorussian & 1st Ukrainian fronts race to envelop the city.

April 20:
    Soviet artillery begins directly shelling Berlin itself, after capturing the Seelow Heights. Shelling will not stop until the cities surrender.

The Northern portions of Okinawa island are secured. A strong defensive line and rough terrain however will keep the fighting in the south of the island ongoing for months.

April 22: Soviet troops encircle Berlin, linking up several kilometers west of the city. When Hitler hears the expected attack against the encirclement has not happened, he flies into a dissonant rage, accusing the military of colluding against him.

Wolfpack Seewolf, having lost 4 of it's 6 U boats, is officially disbanded by Großadmiral Dönitz. The remaining two submarines will attempt to return home, avoiding hunting parties along the way.

Supreme Allied Commander Dwight Eisenhower sends out a memorandum to all commanders in Europe, outlining the handling for captured German commanders, and notes the explicit need to avoid suicides like that of Holocaust architect Alfred Meyer & General Walther Model.

April 25: President Roosevelt opens the UNCIO conference in San Francisco. In attendance are representatives from over 50 nations, including Soviet Foreign Minister Molotov and British Ambassador Lord Halifax. FDR officially acknowledges to Molotov that a nuclear program is being undertaken, and suggests that Soviet scientists be invited to witness the test. Roosevelt makes the following remarks:

"Welcome one and all to this conference. I do not envy you, your task is not easy. All of you here will set about establishing the new world order, to ensure a war this devastating never happens again. The soldiers on the ground have defeated the armies of the enemy, and now you, the delegates of the united nations, must defeat the ideas and men who wish to create another world conflict. However, if all of you do your duty, and take into consideration all national opinions, I have myself no doubt or worry that the world will finally see the promised age of peace."

Patton begins his advance into Bavaria, with breakneck pace, covering over a dozen kilometers a day. His spearhead is aimed directly at the Czech border, while his primary objectives are Regensberg & Deggendorf.

In the early morning hours, Soviet advanced forces and US Recon teams linked up with one another at two separate points along the river Elbe. To be known as Elbe Day, it would break the back of Nazi Germany, and become the beginning of the end.

Events of April 29 to May 1:

The events in Germany and in the world proper in the few days at the end of April were an extremely pivotal moment in the very chaotic death of Nazi Europe. The focal point, and perhaps the best point to start, is in Berlin. Hitler, who had calmed down from his raging in days previous, was dictating his final will and testament to his young secretary, Traudl. This testament, the part that covered the political business of the Reich, was the important bit. It stated that Karl Dönitz, head of the Kreigmarine(Navy) was to assume the presidency. Himmler and Göring, who had both days before been declared traitors for doing the reasonable thing of seeking surrender, were left out entirely, and marked to be shot for treason. In reality these order were never going to be carried out. In Hitler's mind however, they were the top priority of every officer and enlisted man.

Hours later, Hitler killed himself via gunshot after witnessing the pain experienced of cyanide poisoning. Effective immediately, this meant that Karl Dönitz was now the leading figure in Germany. The Großadmiral had been getting a flurry of telegrams and visitors throughout the week, and his understanding of the situation was at the very least not what we know now. First he had met with the leading generals of the Wehrmacht, and made plans for the continuing fighting against invaders after the death of Hitler. Himmler had arrived in the middle of the meeting and declared he would become Führer after Hitler died in Berlin. Then a series of telegrams arrived, denouncing Himmler and informing Dönitz's he would be the next leader of Germany. With the skeleton crew of civilian government officials, SS officers, and Wehrmacht generals in the Schleswig area, he formed a government on the 1st of May, addressing via radio the German soldiers and people. This was the first news to almost everyone in the West that Hitler was dead.

Franklin Roosevelt had, for the most part, been extremely ill ever since his return from Yalta. Everyone who met with him in the stretch from his return in early February to his leaving for his retreat in Warm Springs at the end of March. He spent much of his time at Warm Springs over the two and half weeks he was there in his pool. Swimming was one of his favourite pastimes, and it always seemed the President at least felt better in the water (He had purchased Warm Springs specifically because it was a natural hot spring, to work on his hydrotherapy). However, when he arrived in Seattle on his trip across America (The real reason for visiting Seattle was to meet with Col. Paul Tibbets, the man who dropped little boy), he complained of a sharp pain in his temple. Immediately he was checked into a hospital, where a team of doctors diagnosed the President with an aneurysm. They had called Johns Hopkins hospital in Baltimore, as the neurological team there had been working for years on perfecting a technique known as surgical clipping to remove an aneurysm. The lead doctor on call at Seattle had experience with this procedure, and with the permission of Elanor Roosevelt and some government men, started to operate, in an attempt to save the president's life.

He started the operation in the afternoon of the 30th, and finished just past midnight on May 1. The operation of course had forced the medical professionals to open the skull of Roosevelt, but this relieved pressure on his brain, and after clipping the artery they likely saved his life. He stayed in Seattle hospital for another week or so but was quickly rushed to Johns Hopkins in Maryland, where he could recuperate under more trained physicians and be closer to work should the need arise. Harry Truman, who was quietly enjoying himself at his Washington home, when the secret service barged in and informed him the president was undergoing surgery on the West Coast. Truman was made the acting executive, if only for a handful of days, but he originally wondered if he would have to assume the office of president. Stimson, as he wrote in his book, spent several hours the night of the 30th wondering if he should tell Truman about the Manhattan project. He eventually decided that unless Roosevelt died, he would remain quiet on the subject.

George Patton had at some time either on the 29th or 30th, reached the old Czech border, and was determined to advance as far as possible. Eisenhower, Marshall, and the general staff of the Western Allied forces had been keeping close eyes on Patton. His spearhead was off course, but he had captured his objectives that were laid out for him. Eisenhower sent out an order to Patton that he was to advance only into Czech territory to secure his flank. The British, attempting to curry influence for the postwar era fast approaching, had sent overtures to Patton encouraging him to continue the eastern march. There was a working agreement between the Soviets and Americans that they would be able to capture Prague, but this didn't sit well with Patton. Multiple members of the 3rd Amry's staff report that Patton disregarded the order, stating 'If that's where the Nazis are, that where I'm going'. Allied Command was not aware of Patton's push eastward, but for the moment weren't worried, as the General had never overtly disobeyed an order before.

"It was certainly a pivotal time for everything, early May of 1945. The press learned that Roosevelt was in the hospital for a 'minor' blood clot issue, and the stay was only precautionary. This was true to some degree, but of course the full details of the visit would not be publicly released until the Freedom of Information Act made it requestable. The senior white house figures; Stettinius, Stimson, Morgenthau, and Wallace had been assured that FDR was stable and he would be back in Washington within two weeks. They formulated a plan, that since Truman was only acting with the power of the presidency, that they would handle all major decisions until Roosevelt returned. Fortunately Truman, with the inexperience he had, leaned heavily on the cabinet those few weeks. One wonders what might have happened if Truman tried to be more assertive against this cadre."
    -Howard Zinn, 'A People's History of the People's President', 1985

May, 1945
    May 3: President Roosevelt awakes from his medically induced coma following open skull surgery. Doctors bar him from any work activities, but he speaks on the phone with Vice President Truman, the Cabinet, and Supreme Allied Commander Eisenhower separately. It is relayed by Eisenhower to Montgomery, and further to Churchill, that FDR underwent surgery. They are the first to know outside of the US government of the full extent of Roosevelt's condition.

May 5: Martin Bormann, driving alone, is found and detained by Soviet troops 30km east of Berlin. Bormann claimed he had made it out of the city following rail lines and ditches, which is corroborated when his wet & dirty uniform are found in the trunk. His mouth is forcibly opened to search a cyanide capsules, which is retrieved.

Advanced units of the 3rd Army pass Pilsen, Czechslovakia. Eisenhower sent a telegram to Patton ordering him to stop his advance. The telegram was received by the 3rd Army, but for some reason never made it's way to Patton. Upon this realization, MPs serving Eisenhower were sent to Pilsen to personally deliver the message. However, Patton's HQ had already moved out when MPs arrived late at night. A cat and mouse chase would occur as Patton's whereabouts were currently unknown.

Japanese balloon bombs score their only success when on drops and kills 6 in Oregon. An immense propaganda booster against the Japanese, it also exacerbates fears of the President's safety.

May 8: The German government under Dönitz signs the instruments of surrender. Fighting officially ceases on the continent, and Victory is declared. A prerecorded speech by the president is broadcast, celebrating the defeat but warning that Japan was still an active belligerent. Stalin & Churchill would put out similar statements.

Hermann Göring surrenders himself to American forces, along with a trove of plundered treasures. Originally he is taken into custody and treated like a dignitary, but Eisenhower would soon have him arrested and thrown into an interrogation room.

FDR is transported to his awaiting train in the early hours before dawn. Doctors in Seattle finally signed off on the move, only after persistent badgering from the Secret Service. His train would make record time, traveling across the Great Northern's route.

Eisenhower is informed that his MPs have arrived in Pilsen, and found no sign of Patton. Asking around, they received mixed reports from officers and troops, but most suggested that Patton had passed through the night before and was making his way towards Prague. Furious, Eisenhower demands that the 3rd Army turn around immediately, and halt further advance. The afternoon would mark 80 hours since Patton was last heard from.

May 9: Soviet Minister Molotov leaves the UNCIO at San Francisco to head back to the Soviet Union. He telegrams Stalin, telling him of Roosevelt's offer. Stalin, who has known for months about the Manhattan project, calls Molotov in Vladivostok, telling him to accept the offer.

Patton is finally located in the town of Beroun, less than 20 miles from Prague, organizing American troops in combat with German forces in the city. He dismisses the MPs, declaring that he can't withdraw from a fight already in progress. Immediately Patton is placed under arrest, and the order slowly goes out to withdraw from Prague. Marshal Ivan Konev lodges a formal protest to the Allied Command, demanding to know why the troops advanced well past the pre-negotiated border of control.

"What General Patton did was a shock to almost everyone. No one knows for sure what exactly happened. Col. Oscar Koch, Patton's Intelligence officer, states that he never received an order from HQ to stop an advance after May 4, but this is largely attributed to Koch absolving himself of any responsibility. Haley Maddox and Walter Muller paint a different story, that Patton had received the order only after advancing past Pilsen. Not wanting to halt his assault he simply ignored it. Another staff member, Robert Allen, says that Patton did in fact receive the order to halt at Pilsen the night it was sent, but simply destroyed any evidence of it. Whatever the case it led the largest flaring of Soviet-American tensions of the era. Marshal Konev was furious he was denied his city, the one he was to liberate. Stalin was furious as well and took the situation as a view that America would not respect Red Army forces in Europe. It took many hours of discourse with Marshal Zhukov to assure Stalin this was not the start of an invasion of Eastern Europe."
    -H.W. Brands, American Stories: A History of The United States, 2011

2. leia_ Member

This sounds interesting so far. Will be waiting for the next update.

3. Lalli Well-Known Member

Intresting. But I don't see FDR living very long after surrending of Japan. He was too ill and too stressed. Didn't FDR plan to resign after the war?

4. APTerminator New Member

As far as I'm aware Lalli he had no such plans, although I may be looking in all the wrong places.

5. APTerminator New Member

I do plan on adding to this, but unfortunately the next installment that I completely finished got corrupted & lost, so it's gonna be a couple more days until part 2 is out. Sorry boys & girls.

6. Vidal Well-Known Member

I've done a lot of reading on FDR, and I don't remember this either. Doesn't mean I missed a credible source, though.

7. traveller76 Member

I can see Patton being offered the chance by FDR to resign or be posted somewhere else to avoid any scandal.