Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are those red islands off the west coast of Greece?

How are the Swiss doing?

The Serbs are still there overlooked in Hungary's shadow.

Who became king of Greece ITTL?

Is Iceland affected by the PanNordic movement?

The islands are the British Controlled United States of the Ionian Islands, which was a real thing. OTL they returned to Greece in 1864, after they were given to the new Greek King as a gift.

The islands are the British Controlled United States of the Ionian Islands, which was a real thing. OTL they returned to Greece in 1864, after they were given to the new Greek King as a gift.

Neat!

TTL has been harsh on the ministates of Europe, we lost Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. How are Monaco and San Marino doing?

Andorra I assume is doing well.

Neat!

TTL has been harsh on the ministates of Europe, we lost Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. How are Monaco and San Marino doing?

Monaco and San Marino are still there if you look closely. Lichtenstein and Luxembourg seem like they were part of German unification.

Looking at the Post War map of North America it doesn't look like the Spanish annexation of "Santo Domingo" occurred ITTL. I wonder if Santana is still in power?

I would like see a possible expansion of America Africa or possibly America gaining territories in other parts of the world.

I would like see a possible expansion of America Africa or possibly America gaining territories in other parts of the world.

It seems likely America will be expanding in Africa, Kaiser has implied it. Also they have a foothold already with Liberia. So With the second age of Imperialism really kicking off I am guessing the USA will be a full participant. Maybe not on the level of France and the British, but perhaps in the same league as OTL Germany and Italy. Perhaps gaining more colonies after the Great War.

As for other regions it looks like the USA will get Cuba so other states made from 'liberated' colonies in that region are possible.

Asia doesn't seem likely. The USA doesn't have California and is way behind OTL in setting up a presence in the region. A prime example being the British opening up Japan rather than the Americans. Texas is also competition they didn't have OTL, and the Lone Star while not hostile to the USA will not be keen on letting the USA outstrip them in the Caribbean and Pacific.

I am not sure for instance if the USA will get the Philippines from their war with Spain. Asia is distant and not an area they have been involved with as deeply as OTL, especially with China effectively divided up between the French and British Empires. Even if the Americans take the war there unlike OTL they may allow a local republic to be established as a client state, seeing that as a more effective way to project power in the region than micromanaging across the Pacific.

Instead they may use their presence in Liberia to seize Spain's Sub-saharan African colonies. A region they are already invested in and have the idea of being more in their sphere anyway.

Last edited:
So Texas gets Hawai'i. Better them than the Americans but I had hoped the Kingdom would survive. The Lone Star goes West over the horizon it seems.
The Hispaniola War. Maybe Texas gets Santo Domingo after all?

Still a bit sad to see Mexico loss Coahulia forever, but at least it seems set for a fairly bright future.

Geronimo certainly has a different fate. Though I do note his efforts only brought 1/3 of the local apache into line with Texas; the Indian Wars are far from over and much blood will yet be spilled I expect.

I wonder if Johnston will run for President. His reign in the territory will be divisive I expect on such a campaign. On the one hand success, but on the other he exercised powers of a degree that would trouble many.

At the moment Johnston is not very political and he's committed to remaining in the Army, hoping to rise up as the leading officer within the military after Travis retires. Johnston so far has agreed with most of the policies of the Presidents so far and doesn't have a problem with either party. At this point both the Republicans and Western Union, while having very different agendas, work together very closely on a lot of issues and with the exception of a few major bills, most have some level of bipartisan support. So at the moment there isn't heavy partisanship across the country with the most important issues to the people of the Republic being local. Within the next decade we will have a President who is going to change all of this and start the Second Party System within Texas that will get true political divisions heated up, a man who is loved by his party and claimed a tyrant by the other side.

Yeah the USA just finished a very nasty Civil War and before that the USA had presidential betrayal assassination, and Bloody Kansas etc. By contrast Texas' biggest issue was the Mormon Rebellion and that was a tame affair by comparison. While we know the North South Division has peaked, IU they don't know that there won't be more rebellions down the line.

The Mexican War also showed Texas as a country that can protect its own. Also joining Texas would also mean protection and support from the Yucatan, and possibly French investors.

Also regarding Quebec, are the Maritimes still Anglophone? And if so is there any proBritish irredentism in those former "Loyalist" provinces?

I'm going to have a future update focusing on Quebec in its roughly first two decades. As of right now there's a huge culture divide between the French and the Anglophone Loyalists. The Anglophones are scared that they'll be forced to assimilate to Catholicism and French culture, and thus are banding together politically. On the other hand we have the successful Quebecois with heavy Nationalist feelings after the Revolution and will want to turn the entire country into theirs. The plight of the Anglophones has been made complicated by some emigrations and American and European immigrants. Many want to be back with the crown, but they know that nothing short of a war will make them British/Canadian, and the British missed their window in the Civil War.

To celebrate the return of Lone Star, I redid the map of Europe I did awhile ago.

Credit to Mario on the blank maps thread for the base I used for this

Pretty great Mario! Looking at that Hungarian claw almost makes me want to retcon and prevent Romania's intervention. I promise it will go away after the Great War.

Neat!

Both San Marino and Monaco have remained independent and are still roughly on the same as OTL. Napoleon was still the same in his foreign policy on his front so the treaty France has with Monaco still holds up. With San Marino Pius wanted it to remain independent due to the republic's origins as a monastery of the church and the Church's official recognition of it for three centuries. So long as Radicals don't take power in both France and Italy, they have a good chance of lasting to the modern day. Andorra is still the same as well.

Looking at the Post War map of North America it doesn't look like the Spanish annexation of "Santo Domingo" occurred ITTL. I wonder if Santana is still in power?

Man I completely missed this happening, wasn't aware that Spain tried to annex the Dominican during the Civil War. This changes some plans leading up to the "Hispanoila War", and I'll likely have to do an update centered around both Haiti and the Dominican in the near future, I might even have to put this one before the Black States update. Hopefully this doesn't really lead to any retcons as I have not mentioned either Haiti or the Dominican much in the past updates. Any other conflicts or nations that I missed out on writing leading to this? If I don't cover all my bases I'll have to do an update on every region of the world before we get Texas/America moving forward. The good news is I knocked the major players out of the game and nothing in Africa besides Liberia has changed as of yet.

So I am going to guess Johnston does just that, being an old solder of Texas ultimately. Probably leaving his Military Governorship to assume his dreamjob and serve there until he retires to write some neat memoirs of serving in Texas' army from the Revolution to his days as head of the military in the Wild West Era.

Within the next decade we will have a President who is going to change all of this and start the Second Party System within Texas that will get true political divisions heated up, a man who is loved by his party and claimed a tyrant by the other side.

Ominous.

Ouch, sorry to hear your plans have a wrench in them.

No other conflicts come to mind right now.

Its been mentioned Louis Phillipe the Younger was 27 when the war started and served as an officer in Texan army during the war. I am guessing he will leave the army soon after the post war demobilization to enter politics.

Has Texas established a Westpoint equivalent? Or are their officers still educated in the USA and Europe?

Will we see Texas being a participant in this new age of imperialism?

It's already been heavily implied that they will, considering the confirmed annexations of Hawaii and participation in the Hispanolan War.

I think it's safe to say that Texas as a nation has been involved in imperialism for quite awhile, for instance Texas has already started setting up a sphere of influence, primarily through aiding their allies such as the Yucatán during various wars. Texas also showed little restraint towards annexing the state of Coahuila into the republic, which had next to no desire to join the republic, and seems to have been done more to spite Benito Juarez then out of any legit historical claims.

So in a sense, Texas has already joined the new age of imperialism, and to expect them to suddenly stop and refuse to participate would be a massive heel turn.

Will we see Texas being a participant in this new age of imperialism?

Texan imperialism may not be as brutal or racist as say the British or French. I can see the Texan government and businesses supporting friendly client states in say Latin America or more overseas in return for trade concessions. Maybe there are some missionaries or people believing in the 'white mans burden' but not an official policy.

So I am going to guess Johnston does just that, being an old solder of Texas ultimately. Probably leaving his Military Governorship to assume his dreamjob and serve there until he retires to write some neat memoirs of serving in Texas' army from the Revolution to his days as head of the military in the Wild West Era.

Ominous.

Ouch, sorry to hear your plans have a wrench in them.

No other conflicts come to mind right now.

Its been mentioned Louis Phillipe the Younger was 27 when the war started and served as an officer in Texan army during the war. I am guessing he will leave the army soon after the post war demobilization to enter politics.

Has Texas established a Westpoint equivalent? Or are their officers still educated in the USA and Europe?

Texas doesn't have a West Point yet due to the population growing too rapidly to set a stable base for the military, and it wasn't until the Mexican War that Texas had its first true taste of a largescale continental war. One of Seguin's last acts will probably be to establish a West point, along with a few lesser academies for the Army and Navy.

So guys I just thought of something that might become a possibility within the story. So in terms of names for races in America we've come a long way over the years with many different versions such as White/Caucasian with White going from Anglo-Saxon to all of Europe. The creation of the term Hispanic. Oriental to Asian. Negro to Black to African American, and Indian to Native American. Here in Lone Star Republic, specifically within Texas; would it make sense for Black Texans to be called Negros? This wouldn't really be a derogatory term as how it was in the Solid South (though Nigger would definitely be considered a racial slur, even in the 19th century), rather the word Negro might be preferable to Texans because Black in Spanish is Negro. And since Spanish is slowly becoming a near equal to English across the country, and Spanglish would become a definite future hybrid language and slang to use, then Texans would call Blacks Negros as that is based off of the Spanish term, since at the very least that would be what the Tejano plurality would use. When I'm writing historical chapters I would probably use the term Black, or maybe Afro-Texan, however we might see some dialogue in situations in the late 20th century or 21st century where Black characters are referred to as Negros.

However I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter if this would be okay or if I should just use the term Black. This isn't meant to pursue any kind of racial policy, rather to show naturally how certain butterflies would change sociology and social/racial relations in an independent Texas.

Also I'm going to be posting the Dominican chapter before the one about the Black States so that when the Hispanoilan War comes we can just jump right into it without having to go through 30+ years of exposition and buildup.

Sorry I don't know what to tell you regarding the naming.

It will be cool to see the Dominican update. The Caribbean is so often overlooked in AH. The TL continues to excel and excite.

As i see it the next power to go will be the ottomans. The Hungarians would want bosnia to secure its costal teritory, the serbs and greek would want to expande and the russians would want to go to war with the turks on principle.

The Hungarians would want bosnia to secure its costal teritory,

But do they? Hungary is already facing issues of having so many Non-Maygars in its borders. They still hold a majority but the issue is rising and would be worsened by annexing further territory.

Might they try and set up a client state to secure the region instead if they seize it? A Bosnian Republic?

Will we see Texas getting any Asian commonwealths?

If you mean mainland Asia probably not. Not impossible but I don't really see it happening.

I see Texas' colonialism being geared towards Oceania, Hawaii and the Caribbean. Texas is not the juggernaut of industry and population that the USA, Britain, France, and Germany are right now. And they are getting a later start than the Europeans.

Not to mention while the nationalist rise after the Mexican War will lead many to support Imperialism, others will oppose it wanting Texas to focus on its traditional sphere in the Southwest. Especially I could see these conservatives citing it to be folly to send Texas' military power on oversea ventures when the "Mexican Menace" remains on the border.

So Texas I think will be fairly conservative in their colonialism limited by both ability and politics. My guess is that their single biggest colonies will be the Dominican Republic(to become a commonwealth) and Hawai'i. The remainder of their colonies being Pacific Islands, perhaps the Danish Virgin Islands, and possibly some French colonies might be sold in the Caribbean of Napoleon IV wants to shift French focus elsewhere while cutting costs.

If Texas does get Hawaii of course it could open possibilities on colonies changing hands in the Great War though.

If you mean mainland Asia probably not. Not impossible but I don't really see it happening.

I see Texas' colonialism being geared towards Oceania, Hawaii and the Caribbean. Texas is not the juggernaut of industry and population that the USA, Britain, France, and Germany are right now. And they are getting a later start than the Europeans.

Not to mention while the nationalist rise after the Mexican War will lead many to support Imperialism, others will oppose it wanting Texas to focus on its traditional sphere in the Southwest. Especially I could see these conservatives citing it to be folly to send Texas' military power on oversea ventures when the "Mexican Menace" remains on the border.

So Texas I think will be fairly conservative in their colonialism limited by both ability and politics. My guess is that their single biggest colonies will be the Dominican Republic(to become a commonwealth) and Hawai'i. The remainder of their colonies being Pacific Islands, perhaps the Danish Virgin Islands, and possibly some French colonies might be sold in the Caribbean of Napoleon IV wants to shift French focus elsewhere while cutting costs.

If Texas does get Hawaii of course it could open possibilities on colonies changing hands in the Great War though.

Why would Texas, which doesn't border the Pacific, care about what's happening in an area they can't reach directly?