Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redcoat

Banned
MBAM 24 Dec 2017 (1).png

Hey how about this? Made on a budget of 10 cents, a broken peanut jar, and a human powered wifi router. :p

Last edited:
Much like my TV I'm beginning to feel the worldas I've made for this timeline are obsolete. Awesome maps to those who made them, and incredible update Chris. Nice to see the US getting its house in order, and I like the hint at the coming Pacific War. I wonder just what that'll entail.

Sorry to keep making these, but Labrador and Newfoundland remained part of British North America after the Oregon war.

Last edited:
So, are the Former Confederates going to flock to the Western Union Party?

Mostly, but they wont be able to usurp leadership or become a major legislative faction within the party moving forward, mostly just expanding the voter base. Their association with the Western Union will have consequences moving forward though. I'll explain this in future Texan chapters.

I am surprised Quebec wanted anglophone territory like the Maritimes and that the USA didn't try and grab them.

The Maritimes mostly went to Quebec because of how it was historically once French colonial territory, along with the United States already pushing their claims with the entirety of the Oregon territory. It was either the Maritimes go to Quebec which will stay as a minor regional power, or to the United States and help them on their growth to becoming a Great Power. Quebec was seen as the least damaging moving forward in the future.

The Maritimes mostly went to Quebec because of how it was historically once French colonial territory, along with the United States already pushing their claims with the entirety of the Oregon territory. It was either the Maritimes go to Quebec which will stay as a minor regional power, or to the United States and help them on their growth to becoming a Great Power. Quebec was seen as the least damaging moving forward in the future.

Probably the Free-Slave State balance of power at work too. The South would not want the Maritimes as Free States with the Oregon Country certain to be free land as well in the future. Is the Anglophone population in the Maritimes loyal to republic or is there any British loyalism in the region?

I'm curious about why Napoleon III wasn't against Prussia buying the Luxembourg when iotl he wanted to buy it.

Napoleon at the moment is very busy with his Colonial ventures as he just finished France's involvement in the Mexican War, is actively grabbing lands in China while supporting Taiping, is further exploring and claiming land in both Africa and Indochina, plus there's the beginning of French expeditions to the Pacific. With all of these going on Napoleon just isn't as invested in Europe as he was in OTL. Plus there's the fact that by purchasing Luxembourg he's not just going against Prussia, but against all of Germany (soon to be GroBDeutschland). A potential war over just Luxembourg would not be worth the losses. Besides he's already expanded France further in Europe with Sardinia. Lastly there's the fact that Napoleon does not see Germany as the greatest threat ITTL as the Franco-British rivalry is very much alive and well. For now Napoleon is satisfied and wants to focus on expanding France's colonial empire and preparing it so that they don't lose it all in a single war.

Napoleon at the moment is very busy with his Colonial ventures as he just finished France's involvement in the Mexican War, is actively grabbing lands in China while supporting Taiping, is further exploring and claiming land in both Africa and Indochina, plus there's the beginning of French expeditions to the Pacific. With all of these going on Napoleon just isn't as invested in Europe as he was in OTL. Plus there's the fact that by purchasing Luxembourg he's not just going against Prussia, but against all of Germany (soon to be GroBDeutschland). A potential war over just Luxembourg would not be worth the losses. Besides he's already expanded France further in Europe with Sardinia. Lastly there's the fact that Napoleon does not see Germany as the greatest threat ITTL as the Franco-British rivalry is very much alive and well. For now Napoleon is satisfied and wants to focus on expanding France's colonial empire and preparing it so that they don't lose it all in a single war.

Is Napoleon III worried about Italy and Germany getting too close? After all if Italy settles its claims against Austria their main irredentist territory is now areas ruled by France. Even if Britain is seen as a greater threat, this alliance between Germany and Italy may be threat to the understanding between the allies of the Heresy war.

Is Napoleon III worried about Italy and Germany getting too close? After all if Italy settles its claims against Austria their main irredentist territory is now areas ruled by France. Even if Britain is seen as a greater threat, this alliance between Germany and Italy may be threat to the understanding between the allies of the Heresy war.

Right now France and Italy have really close relations as Napoleon is a fierce patron of the Church and both countries settled all of their territorial disputes in the Sardinian Heresy. They are each other's largest trading partner and migration is rather common with millions crossing the border each year for various purposes. There is even a rail line that is starting to get built from Paris to Rome. Since Italy did legally give up their claims on their conceeded territories to Napoleon, it will be decades before Irredentionism starts to form for French territory. Besides at this point Italy and Germany don't have an alliance, they are just countries with mutual interests. The main reason for this is twofold, Prussia is the leader of Germany and the Hohenzollerns are the Imperial family. What do both have in common? They are Protestant. Had Germany been united by say Bavaria, then Italy would surely be gunning for an alliance. But because of the fact that Germany is a Catholic-majority nation led by a Protestant, Pius as Head of State is not too suportive of creating any kind of alliance or other close lasting ties. This doesn't mean that Italy is bigoted towards Protestants as it has cordial to friendly relations with Protestant Europe and Garibaldi himself wants to form an alliance with the Kaiser. It's just that since the Papal State was the one to unify Italy, the Catholic Church is always going to be an integral part of Italian Nationalism.

Chapter 100 The Southern Exodus
Chapter 100 The Southern Exodus

"For the past five years our great nation has been plagued with a pestilence of great danger. They come from the east; bringing lawless violence, bigotry, poverty, and scorn. They look down upon the ways of our people and wish to ensure a resurrection of the now dead and vile institution of slavery, bitter at the loss of their foolish rebellion against Washington. They have no respect for our laws, no respect for our way of life or the people of Texas. Ever since coming to Texas the Western Union has been selling themselves to these scoundrels of Dixie, desperate to serve the interests of the newcomers before their citizens. If you wish to keep Texas pure, a government that will keep our nation strong against the Mexican nation and serve its people first and formost, then vote Republican. Keep the Republic Texan!"- Vice President Elisha Pease 1868
"It is not my responsibility to keep these people within the United States if they do not desire to. We are a nation of immigrants, we cannot demand freedom of travel if we keep people within our borders at gunpoint. They chose not to respect the constitution and the results of the people five years ago, and they chose not accept defeat with grace and follow reintegration. I sympathize with Austin and I hope that these emigrants may build better lives. But make no mistake they chose to leave, the fault is not within the federal government."- Abraham Lincoln 1866
"I escaped West because I had nothing left after Atlanta. To the South I was a Unionist, to the North a traitor up with the likes of Arnold and Toombs. I hoped in Texas that I could find a new life and start a new. Hundreds of thousands of our countrymen did so, why would I be any different. Upon arriving in Houston I was met with distrust and suspicion; for these people were not the cousins of Dixie we all thought they were, they are of a new breed entirely."- John C. Breckenridge 1881

In the modern world the United States has maintained a reputation as a nation of immigrants. Millions of people from all around the world travel to the land of the free every year to take part in the American Dream, seeking new and better lives than possible in their homelands. While other nations such as Texas, the Brazilian Empire, and Yucatan have all become immigrant-heavy countries in the 20th century, no nation on Earth can compare to the migrations of the United States. Indeed Americans like to pride themselves on the history of their immigrants, which has played a huge role in the formation and expansion of the United States leading back all the way to the first colonists in British America. In the immediate post-Civil War years however, the United States would actually see a net emigration of citizens outside of their borders. Though in some respects it wouldn't do to call these people citizens at all, rather traitors who refused to accept reality. These Americans were proud men and women of Dixie, people who could not fathom the idea of racial equality with their former slaves and the Confederacy's crushing defeat at the hands of the Northern Yankees. They had willingly set ties with Washington, and they were not willing to live a single day with Lincoln as their president. For these willing exiles though there was one large problem, where to go. The Southern migrants would not go to Europe as they would never willingly live under a monarchy. Latin America was not acceptable as they were inhabited by "lesser" races of Hispanics, Indians, and Blacks. Africa and Asia were too undeveloped and too foreign for the likes of an American. For the Southern individual looking to escape the Union, there was only one place acceptable to live a new life. The land of their "cousins" where anyone can start anew. The Lone Star Republic. Texas.

Immigration from the Southern United States to Texas was nothing new in 1863. In fact the American South in many ways was responsible for the creation of the Republic of Texas thanks to the immigration of thousands of individuals from states such as Tennessee and Missouri to Texas under Austin's colony. These Americans formed the core of the independent Texas, acting as its founding fathers and guiding over the young nation to its emergence as a regional power. Hundreds of thousands of Americans, mostly from the South, would come to Texas in the following years and become key players in this new nation. Due to the large amount of immigrants from the South along with much of Texas' Dixie-Anglo culture becoming a dominant part of its identity, many Southern Americans thought that Texas was a land that was little different than their own. They both practiced slavery, relied on cotton and agriculture as the backbone of their economy, both had a strong presence of the Baptist church (though Baptists were only located prominently in the Texas Commonwealth and most of Texas was Catholic with Mormons forming a strong third church), and many of the positions of the Western Union along with some of the Republicans platforms were similar to the Democratic Party. Southern Americans regularly received correspondence from their relatives and friends in Texas on how the country was a paradise with hundreds of acres in cheap land and economic opportunities all around. Not to mention how President Sam Houston even advocated for annexation into the United States. With all of these factors put together it's rather understandable that a Confederate would think that Texas was their brothers in blood and culture, even after events such as the Battle of Wichita and the numerous border skirmishes along the Sabine that took place towards the end of the war. Thus with no other options available, Texas seemed like the only place that would welcome them after "escaping Union tyranny".

Bundesarchiv_in_Texasweb.jpg

Settlers of the Old Three Hundred, Austin's first colonists. Most of whom came from states such as Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee.

It is difficult to pinpoint exactly when a general idea formed among the Southern population that Texas was the promised land, historians have generally regarded the winter of 1862 as the time when the Southern Exodus began. This was a hard time for the Confederacy as the prospects of victory seemed bleak with the Confederate invasions having been pushed back and the Union Army on advance in all fronts, Confederate victories being fewer with each passing week. While the Lost Cause depiction of the Union Army as being nothing but brutal savages is mostly false, there is some fact in this revisionist fiction as millions of southerners would become economically devastated with the loss of their slaves and hundreds of thousands would lose their homes, field, and wealth from some armies such as Sherman's and Grant's with the advent of total war. With false rumors spreading of the rape of Southern woman, mass execution of civilians, razing of farmlands, and the always present fear of massive slave revolts after the Nassau Insurrection; to much of the South it seemed that Revelations were upon them. Naturally with most wars refugees began to explode among the general population, and with the Rosecran cutting the Confederacy in half thanks to Vicksburg, much of the citizens of Louisiana and Arkansas saw their western neighbors of Texas as the only safe haven, even if Texas themselves had their existence being threatened by Mexico. With the Texas Rangers being sent to the border and the Army nowhere near able to deal with the problem, thousands of Southern immigrants were able to travel across the Sabine unnoticed, the Rangers only able to catch groups in the hundreds. American and Texan historians today have estimated that around 63,000 traveled from the Confederacy and Union-occupied territory to Texas from October of 1862 to April of 1863. While these numbers were quite large they were more than manageable for Texas even during its war economy, the Republic usually receiving tens of thousands of immigrants on an annual basis. Tejano and German Republicans along with the Seguin administration were critical of the allowing of these "Illegal Immigrants" across the border and demanded that the United States keep their people inside their borders. However, a majority of both parties along with the general Texas population were welcoming of these refugees. Yes they were members of a rebellious nation that had fought for the existence of slavery, yet to many these were victims of war who had lost all that they had thanks to the fighting. Wasn't it the Christian way to care for these wayward souls and welcome them into the fold of the Republic like so many from other nations had before? These feelings of sympathy would not last for long as the trickle became a flood of humanity, Texas being forced to embrace the brunt of the exodus in the immediate months after Atlanta.

images

A Southern refugee train making its way through East Texas.

For the average former citizen of the Confederacy in 1863, life was unbearable at best and hellish at worst. After the formation of the Confederacy most citizens traded in their American dollars for newly-printed Confederate money, not finding much usage anymore of "Lincolnbacks" since they were going to form a new nation anyways. Unfortunately for the Confederacy they had forgotten the harsh trials that the Continental Congress had with printed money during the American Revolution, Confederate dollars losing value with each month due to scarce amounts of gold in the state treasury and few nations willing to trade with the Confederacy. In the closing months of the war Confederate dollars were barely toilet paper at best, a single loaf of bread reported tens of thousands of dollars. Due to the fact that most Confederate citizens had done away with their dollars, under Union occupation they now found themselves without a cent to their name. Hard cash like gold and silver along with American dollars were the only acceptable currency. However, because of the fact that most people did not even have substantial amounts of gold and silver, they had to sell most of their material wealth in order to receive even a respectable amount of cash. With farms being razed or pillaged for resources and slaves escaping en masse, the agricultural economy that the South had prided themselves on collapsed overnight. Even the Southern Aristocrats that had ruled the nation since colonial times were not able to escape unaffected as the loss of their slaves meant they had to spend thousands of dollars for any sort of labor to be done, that is for those who managed to escape the war with their Plantations intact. Poverty skyrocketed to rates that would not be repeated until the Britannia Recession, urban centers such as Charleston and New Orleans became tent cities with beggars flooding the streets. For the people of the South they couldn't live in their country anymore even if they were amiable to Lincoln, they just couldn't afford to. With the Southern states left in ruins there was only one option left, leave. Some tried their options in the North in order to seek better lives and a stable income in the growing factories. tens of thousands would move northwest and become pioneers in the praire territories, an aspect of the Southern Exodus that is often forgotten both in the United States and in Texas. Yet for most the only option left was to leave the country altogether. From 1863 until the agreed end of the Southern Exodus in 1871, an estimated total of 1.16 million Southern Americans would immigrate to the Republic of Texas. After the end of the Exodus both the United States and Texas would be changed forever. For the former it was a period of Yankee domination and a hegemony of Republican power, for the latter it would signal for Texas to shed away its American roots and finally form the Lone Star culture that it is famous for today.

200px-Broad_Street_Charleston_South_Carolina_1865.jpg
220px-Atlanta_roundhouse_ruin3.jpg

Charleston (Left) and Atlanta (Right) after the war. Two proud Southern metropolis' reduced to rubble and ruin.

A/N: Happy 100th chapter everyone! It's been an amazing journey to get this far with over 60 pages of content, hundreds of likes and comments, a Turtledove award, and best of all the support and care that you guys have shown for this story. Originally I wanted the chapter to be far bigger and a bit more dynamic in order to celebrate the special occasion. However I feel that this is a good place to stop as this kind of signals the end of what I would call Act I for the story and the beginning of Act II, "Imperialism and Nationalism, Glory of the Rising Lone Star." Here we will see the culmination of European Imperialism with the conquest/domination of Africa and Asia, the next phase of the Americas as both Texas and the United States become Great Powers while Latin America tears itself apart over who shall lead Bolivar's Legacy, the birth of the Alliance systems, all leading up to the Great War, a conflict which shall have just as equal if not more devastating consequences than OTL. I admit that this chapter may be extremely anti-climatic, but I promise to gradually cover the full cultural and political effects of the Southern Exodus in both my Texan and American chapters moving forward. For now we shift our attention back to oversees as Chapter 101 shall be the end of German Unification, and Chapter 102 the conclusion to the Paraguayan War. Thanks for reading everyone and stay tuned for more. Long live the Lone Star Republic!