Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me guess, Santa Cruz is going to "Reclaim the sacred territory of the Confederation" and Occupy as much of the disputed territory of Paraguay as they can, pissing the Argentinians but ending in a truce....

While the Argentinian diplomats were in Sucre to conduct the negotiations, they managed to convince Santa Cruz to play nuetral during the middle of this war. Santa Cruz's motivations are that during the war the countries of the Triple Alliance will be wrecked economically, making him the dominant economy in South America if he stays out. In addition Santa Cruz is already focused on securing the border territories against Ecuador and Columbia. He agreed earlier with Pedro that he would leave the south to Brazil. If Argentina and Peru-Bolivia do go to war however, then you can certainly expect Peru-Bolivia to enforce their claims.

Yeah, this decision by Lopez is even worse than the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor (among other places) IOTL; at least the Japanese thought that the Americans and British would sue for peace after the Japanese conquests occurred. However, they completely misjudged their enemies...

The sad irony that this is the exact same as OTL in terms of Solano Lopez's actions towards the Triple Alliance. The main difference here is that the Blancos are in charge in both Argentina and Uruguay with Brazil propping up the Colorado rebels. OTL it was the exact opposite with Brazil supporting the legitimate Colorado government and being declared upon at the start of the war, Argentina joining in after they got attacked for refusing Solano Lopez to go through their borders. So this is something entirely in character for the guy.

While the Argentinian diplomats were in Sucre to conduct the negotiations, they managed to convince Santa Cruz to play nuetral during the middle of this war. Santa Cruz's motivations are that during the war the countries of the Triple Alliance will be wrecked economically, making him the dominant economy in South America if he stays out. In addition Santa Cruz is already focused on securing the border territories against Ecuador and Columbia. He agreed earlier with Pedro that he would leave the south to Brazil. If Argentina and Peru-Bolivia do go to war however, then you can certainly expect Peru-Bolivia to enforce their claims.
I see the map and seriously i think that Santa Cruz will succeed in negotiating his country's neutrality in exchange for a bit least of the upper fourth of Northwestern Paraguay.

Considering that it acts like a hump into Bolivian Land, not only is a reasonable offer, but Santa Cruz may fully leave Frontier issues dealt for good here as it formally acknowledges the annexation of the rest of Western Paraguay by Argentina in exchange for the part that makes the new Argentinian/Bolivian Frontier a far simpler line.

Considering that they are getting the far bigger chunk of former Western Paraguay, the concession of Santa Cruz's modified claim in exchange for Neutrality and closing the Frontier to any attempt for Lopez's forces to flee or attempt to contraband weapons or ammo through Bolivian lands during the War, and after it, the Diplomatic acknowledgement and confirmation of the new frontiers between the two Countries would be a pretty fair price.

Hmm, with South America's greater affluence with the war of the Triple Alliance get more recognition globally and culturally? Such as Lopez's folly being more studied and known.

"Many a man has squandered his family legacy. But rarer is a man who squanders away an entire country."

Heh, for a second there I thought Crockett had thrown the young Maximum Leader to be out of his office.

I wonder how this will diverge from OTL? Could it be shorter?

Also I doubt the Supreme Leader of the Confederation will insert his country in the war. He has already secured his Brazilian border and entering without invite could make trouble there. Ecuador is not much of a threat but Chile is still looking for opportunity. The risk may not be great, but Peru-Bolivia already a great nation and why risk when the current path is serving so well.

Though if the Triple Alliance were to invite them in...

Last edited:
Especially as the AC government likely wants to prove its strength and legitimacy by delivering Argentina a resounding victory against a foreign foe.

And what was that about Pedro wanting to conquer down to the Cape?!

I see the map and seriously i think that Santa Cruz will succeed in negotiating his country's neutrality in exchange for a bit least of the upper fourth of Northwestern Paraguay.

Considering that it acts like a hump into Bolivian Land, not only is a reasonable offer, but Santa Cruz may fully leave Frontier issues dealt for good here as it formally acknowledges the annexation of the rest of Western Paraguay by Argentina in exchange for the part that makes the new Argentinian/Bolivian Frontier a far simpler line.

Considering that they are getting the far bigger chunk of former Western Paraguay, the concession of Santa Cruz's modified claim in exchange for Neutrality and closing the Frontier to any attempt for Lopez's forces to flee or attempt to contraband weapons or ammo through Bolivian lands during the War, and after it, the Diplomatic acknowledgement and confirmation of the new frontiers between the two Countries would be a pretty fair price.

At this point there are still multiple ways that Peru-Bolivia can be dragged into the war on the side of the Triple Alliance, your suggestion being one of them. You have to remember though if Peru-Bolivia forcibly takes Western Paraguay, then he'll be going to war not only with Argentina, but with Chile who still wants to annex their northern claims. Not only that but Santa Cruz has to dance carefully with Brazil if he wants to keep cordial relations with Pedro. The two rulers did agree after all that Santa Cruz gets to stick to the Pacific while Pedro gets the Atlantic. Jumping into the conflict for Peru-Bolivia could be seen as going against Brazil, and Pedro already gave up Brazilian territory that Peru claimed. In the end Peru-Bolivia may get some land, but not a whole lot.

Also Santa Cruz is in his 70s now. He is coming up on his OTL death date. And even if lives longer his focus may be on leaving a house well in order for his successor.

Say what is the plan regarding succession? Is power going to devolve or has he groomed a second Supreme Protector? Either way I expect the Supreme Protectors' health is a major concern for people of the Confederation.

So Santa Cruz may not be in the big risk kind of mood right now and prefer to play it safe in foreign affairs to focus on his legacy at home.

Hmm, though if his before the war ends and there is a successor, they may approach the Alliance to enter at the endgame to solidify their rule with a victory and a few bits of territory.

Also Santa Cruz is in his 70s now. He is coming up on his OTL death date. And even if lives longer his focus may be on leaving a house well in order for his successor.

Say what is the plan regarding succession? Is power going to devolve or has he groomed a second Supreme Protector? Either way I expect the Supreme Protectors' health is a major concern for people of the Confederation.

So Santa Cruz may not be in the big risk kind of mood right now and prefer to play it safe in foreign affairs to focus on his legacy at home.

Hmm, though if his before the war ends and there is a successor, they may approach the Alliance to enter at the endgame to solidify their rule with a victory and a few bits of territory.
I can't disagree with this. P-B would be better off focusing on the home front for now; maybe send diplomats to the Alliance to assure them they will not support Lopez (no sane ruler will even think of such a thing), maybe later negotiate a suitable division of Paraguay and deal with other issues between them.

I can't disagree with this. P-B would be better off focusing on the home front for now; maybe send diplomats to the Alliance to assure them they will not support Lopez (no sane ruler will even think of such a thing), maybe later negotiate a suitable division of Paraguay and deal with other issues between them.

I am not sure they would get anything if they did not do any fighting. Argentina is not a fan of Santa Cruz as he beat them in the last war along with Chile.

Also this war I think will still be very nasty. As Kaiser said on the matter of Napoleon III the way history has played out has made him be seen and be remembered as a great ruler and get credited it seems for ending the political turmoil that dominated French politics for nearly sixty years.

Likewise, I have read some stuff on Paraguay that foes give some kudos to Francia and Lopez the Elder, such as building a more racially integrated society and infrastructure. While the IU history sees them as nothing but irredeemable despots. So I am thinking Paraguay's fall to both the inside and outside will be so bloody and arduous that it would not cross most people's mind to associate anything good with Paraguay much less its leaders.

And after such a bitter struggle I don't think the Alliance would be willing to give even meager prizes to a noncombatant nation.

But back to Santa Cruz, his exit will be huge. He founded the Confederation and has been its autocrat for more than two decades. The Supreme protector and the Confederation I would say are synonymous with many within and without its borders. When he is gone there will not only be shifts inside with either his heir or a new government, but outside with the PBC's enemies and rivals adapting their policy.

Right now Santa Cruz is debating on what exactly to do for succession of the Confederation. The structure of the Confederation is that the nation is divided into three autonomous states; the Republics of North Peru, South Peru, and Bolivia. Each Republic has its own legislatures which deals with laws of their respective state, along with a regional president which is head of the regional assembly and has the rank and powers of an equivalent U.S state governor. As Supreme Protector, Santa Cruz is the national government and rules as dictator on a grand scale. The only national institutions are the Army, Courts, Foreign Affairs Office, Economics Ministry, and Postal service. Right now Santa Cruz does have a Supreme Protector who he has groomed to succeed him, but he is also debating on establishing some liberal reforms which will lead to a Confederate Congress, along with possible elections for the Supreme Protector. No matter what the office of Supreme Protector will have the largest amount of power in the Confederation.

I am not sure they would get anything if they did not do any fighting. Argentina is not a fan of Santa Cruz as he beat them in the last war along with Chile.

Also this war I think will still be very nasty. As Kaiser said on the matter of Napoleon III the way history has played out has made him be seen and be remembered as a great ruler and get credited it seems for ending the political turmoil that dominated French politics for nearly sixty years.

Likewise, I have read some stuff on Paraguay that foes give some kudos to Francia and Lopez the Elder, such as building a more racially integrated society and infrastructure. While the IU history sees them as nothing but irredeemable despots. So I am thinking Paraguay's fall to both the inside and outside will be so bloody and arduous that it would not cross most people's mind to associate anything good with Paraguay much less its leaders.

And after such a bitter struggle I don't think the Alliance would be willing to give even meager prizes to a noncombatant nation.

But back to Santa Cruz, his exit will be huge. He founded the Confederation and has been its autocrat for more than two decades. The Supreme protector and the Confederation I would say are synonymous with many within and without its borders. When he is gone there will not only be shifts inside with either his heir or a new government, but outside with the PBC's enemies and rivals adapting their policy.

OTL's war was already bloody with 90% of the entire male population of Paraguay being killed in the war. Expect something along similar lines.

The reason Paraguay is seen as nothing but a despotic kingdom is partly due to narrative reasons. You see the author (TTL version of me) is kind of a biased man when going into the vast history of his world, and as such he may view certain events in a perspective depending on their impact and the immediate legacy surrounding them. While historians TTL can recognize the non-racial society that was made by Francia and Lopez, they cannot view the full legacy of that since Paraguay will fall in a few years, meaning there isn't much results to back it up. Had Paraguay survived then maybe these rulers would be looked at in a better light. But because Solano's Lopez actions led to the downfall of his nation, people are more willing to look at the bad rather than any of the good.

Rereading the Titanic, section I noted that family was referred to as Swedish rather than Scandinavian. So it would seem the identities of the former states will remain strong post unification.

Rereading the Titanic, section I noted that family was referred to as Swedish rather than Scandinavian. So it would seem the identities of the former states will remain strong post unification.

To be fair I wrote the Titanic chapter when I was still debating on whether or not to create the United Kingdom of Scandinavia. However the family would still be called Swedish even with the future events to come. You see, the notion of a United Kingdom of Scandinavia is still a brand new concept to those outside of the region. You have to remember that out of all the European nations, Sweden and Denmark are two of the oldest continuous Kingdoms in existence, only France near the same age. And while the Scandinavian people may be united with a common culture background, Danish is still very much its own unique ethnicity compared to Swedish, then we have the Norweigans adding into the mix. Since there won't be a common language in the Union, the citizens will continue to be recognized by their respective tongues. Another example is a Croation being called as such in the 1870's when they are rightfully a Austro-Hungarian.

Also spoiler, but there are going to be an emergence of people from all three Kingdoms who are not happy with the deal and want to live as independent nations, being one of the main catalysts for the Great War.

I see, so its just like how a person could be seen as either British or Scottish.

Not surprised there will be nationalists opposed to the unification movement.

Will it be a Scandinavian Empire by name?

I see, so its just like how a person could be seen as either British or Scottish.

Not surprised there will be nationalists opposed to the unification movement.

Will it be a Scandinavian Empire by name?

The official name will be called the "United Nordic Kingdom of Scandinavia." The Nordic part of the name is so that they can lay an effective claim around their colonies, and all the non-Scandinavian parts such as Finland, Schleswig-Holstein, Estonia, and Pomerania. Keep in mind the Germanic and Russian territories are in case the two empires collapse.

So next update continues the war right?

Will we get a piece on how Canada is developing ITTL? With the plains and Ontario I would expect there to still be a distinct Canadian identity there for now to some degree.

Do the British still have the Falklands?