Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone think France could be bought out of its Caribbean Islands by Texas? And would Texas want them?
OTL the CSA wanted some as new slave/plantation states, rest of the Union not so much ... depents on the use Texas could have with them and if it is able to convince most of it's leaders that buying or conquering them would be a good thing to do I assume.

Love this timeline, I'm new to this site and am a Texan myself, so this is awesome. My heart and prayers go out to those affected by Harvey. I won't go into to much detail, but I myself live in the Southeast Greater Houston area, right next to the Gulf. Reading this kept my spirits up during Harvey, so keep up the great work Chris. Long live the Lone Star Republic!

As someone who has lived in Texas for the past 20 years, I really love this epic timeline. It is a story truly epic in scope. Keep up the good work!

BTW I actually had the pleasure of visiting the USS Texas/San Jacinto battlefield a couple of years ago. Here are some photos I took of the battle re-enactment.

My thoughts and support go out to those dealing with the effects of Harvey.

OTL the CSA wanted some as new slave/plantation states, rest of the Union not so much ... depents on the use Texas could have with them and if it is able to convince most of it's leaders that buying or conquering them would be a good thing to do I assume.

Since Texas will be hosting Crown Prince Napoleon in about a decade conquest seems out. If Texas decides colonies are the way to go and wants more influence in the Caribbean I was thinking they might offer to buy France's islands as France is looking elsewhere for empire.

One effect Isee of the war, is the Solid South not being as large as OTL. In part because the South will be more clearly divided.

Between the Former Confederacy and the Unionist South. The Unionists seeing themselves as the true Americans heirs to the best of the Southern Traditions goings back to the founding and having shed themselves of the vices that lead their Southern Brethren to treason and ruin. Virginia I see as the prime example. Having come from the war having repelled rebel invaders, this saving DC, and come through the war fairly intact economically and with the glory of their native son Lee becoming a great hero.

By contrast the Former Confederacy is devastated economically and politically. As this update showed the South's economy and infrastructure has been set back decades. And that's before the gutting of the slave economy. Also a generation of politicians young and old tainted and quite possibly banned from office. Probably a good bit of brain drain to come as well with young men going North or west.

Less sympathy from the Border States to the Former Confederacy as well, the CSA being far more aggressive and either seeking conquest or seeking to break off chunks of states.

So I think the cultures will be more distinct than OTL between the Unionist South and Former CSA.

I am guessing we will next time in America cover the fates of Davis, General Cooper, and other prominent rebels.

Also it looks like Toombs has given up, and is just trying to fade into obscurity.

You are generally right about the Solid South. They are much weaker here with Virginia becoming another part of the Atlantic Establishment, Kentucky and East Tennessee remaining Northern-ish, the absence of Texas, and Missouri once again becoming Northern. Virginia would sort of be the best example of what the South should be like with them having the traditional morals and customs of the South while still remaining fierce patriots since the Revolution and not having vapid racism.

For the next seventy years or so the South is going to be known as the rather rural and backwards part of the country whose main usage is for crops. That is all going to change when Huey becomes President and the Long Revolution flips politics upside down. Expect big changes and greater development than OTL eventually, Florida in particular becoming the star of the Deep South.

The fate of the Confederates will be decided in the first chapter of Reconstruction. Some will be pardoned honorably, and others hanged.

Really interesting developments. Though I am curious to know what is going on in the Oregon region, is it following the history of British Columbia or the american states?

Currently with the Transcontinental Railroad nearing completion, Oregon is going to go through a huge amount of growth in the next decade as the Pacific ports of Boston, Vancouver, and Seattle are all developed and modernized, while trade is established with Asia. Washington doesn't want to rely on Texas forever so they'll want to make Oregon self-sufficient as soon as posssible. Also Columbia is going under a new wave of colonization, with the eventual goal of being granted statehood by the end of the century.

Anyone think France could be bought out of its Caribbean Islands by Texas? And would Texas want them?

At the moment Texas leadership is actually looking upon real estate in the Caribbean. The reason for this is due to Texas' connection to the Atlantic being limited with the Gulf coast and them being blocked off by the Caribbean islands such as Cuba and Hispanola which are the first ports of trade. There is also pushes by the Navy so that they can have forward operating bases from which they can reach South America or potentially Africa. Congress is trying to decide what would be the best option going forward, but they don't have full funding for a deal at the moment and they need to focus on colonizing the rest of the country proper at first and making sure Coahuila is integrated. Caribbean Texas is still possible at the moment.

Texas is not going to try and go to war against France for their islands as they would lose very badly with little overall gain even in a victory. As for the Union, there is possible expansion in the future, already having a foothold in the Bahamas.

Love this timeline, I'm new to this site and am a Texan myself, so this is awesome. My heart and prayers go out to those affected by Harvey. I won't go into to much detail, but I myself live in the Southeast Greater Houston area, right next to the Gulf. Reading this kept my spirits up during Harvey, so keep up the great work Chris. Long live the Lone Star Republic!

As someone who has lived in Texas for the past 20 years, I really love this epic timeline. It is a story truly epic in scope. Keep up the good work!

BTW I actually had the pleasure of visiting the USS Texas/San Jacinto battlefield a couple of years ago. Here are some photos I took of the battle re-enactment.

My thoughts and support go out to those dealing with the effects of Harvey.

Thanks guys that means a lot! Glad to see you survive through the hardships of Harvey and that you're enjoying the story. Feel free to stick around as the Lone Star Republic makes its way into the 20th century.

Kaiser Chris said:
Feel free to stick around as the Lone Star Republic makes its way into the 20th century.
Do you plan on taking it past the 20th century? Either way, can't wait to see the future of Texas and her people.

Heh, before we even get to the 20th century we have nearly four decades of the 19th left to play out. America faces Reconstruction and the Gilded Age, Texas the Wild West, and Colonialism is getting ready to explode forth again. Not to mention the Indian Wars for both Texas and America as their expanded military turn westward.

And the South American War beckons.

So yeah no need to rush to the 20th century this the Nineteenth still has a lot to offer.

Deleted member 82792

Heh, before we even get to the 20th century we have nearly four decades of the 19th left to play out. America faces Reconstruction and the Gilded Age, Texas the Wild West, and Colonialism is getting ready to explode forth again. Not to mention the Indian Wars for both Texas and America as their expanded military turn westward.

And the South American War beckons.

So yeah no need to rush to the 20th century this the Nineteenth still has a lot to offer.
Texas has a better relationship with Native Americans, but I'm sure during the Wild West period they'll have a border war with the US.

Do you plan on taking it past the 20th century? Either way, can't wait to see the future of Texas and her people.

The end goal for this TL is the year 2036, Texas' 200th anniversary. After this I will end Lone Star Republic and won't pick it up again unless I want to do a space colonization TL in the same world. On that I have a rough draft leading to 2200.

Hi Kaiser Chris!

As a Texan, I wholeheartedly approve this timeline! I hope we get to read about Texas fighting an analogue of the Axis Powers in the alternate World War II!

While there will be fascist states there won't be an Axis Powers per say, though there will be at least four alliance blocs.

Texas has a better relationship with Native Americans, but I'm sure during the Wild West period they'll have a border war with the US.

Texas is still going to fight its own Indian Wars, mainly with the Comanche and Apache over the expansion of the Railroad.

Deleted member 80865

While there will be fascist states there won't be an Axis Powers per say, though there will be at least four alliance blocs.
So, when the alternate World War II rolls around, there won't be any one alliance bloc serving as the central villain of the conflict? If that's the case, then there should be at least one or two heroic or anti-heroic alliance blocs against multiple villainous alliance blocs. I don't think you can do World War II without the losers of World War I becoming the outright villains of the second conflict. You need a villain for your World War II because I strongly doubt that all four alliance blocs are going to be heroic or anti-heroic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas is still going to fight its own Indian Wars, mainly with the Comanche and Apache over the expansion of the Railroad.

Yeah, the Texan policy is better than the American and Mexican one towards the Natives, but that is not a difficult standard to beat in this era. And even then a lot came from Texas not having the wealth and manpower to just ignore treaties for a good while. And the Indian Citizenship act still requires the tribes to give up a good deal and I think at this point still being seen as assimilating with a patronizing view of the native cultures.

So even if the Texans give a much better deal the Natives I think still have reason to be resentful and resistant.

Say is Quebec getting an influx of French immigrants?

Chapter 92 Birth of Nationalism
Chapter 92 Birth of Nationalism

"To be a patriot is to live and die for your nation. To be a Nationalist is to live and die because your nation told you to do so."- Henry David Thoreau 1859
"While it is true that humans are social creatures by nature, it is not within human nature to belong to a nation. People can exist without a nation, a nation cannot exist without its people."- Rear Admiral Yang Wenli 1935
"I am the Duma!"- Tsar Alexander 1895

In the times of ancient Europe before the Napoleonic Wars, allegiance to country was based solely on one's duty to a noble house rather than that of the nation-state. Since the downfall of the Roman Empire the European states were created in such a manner that one had to give one's life to their liege in a strict hierarchy with overall service to a divine monarch, feudalism. Even in the states with a greater amount of national identity such as France, England, and Spain; the duty was to the ruling monarch rather than the Kingdom as a whole. Even the rare Republican states such as the Netherlands and Venice, operated on a oligarchical system of servitude to the plutocratic elite rather than a true democracy that works to the needs of the state. All of this would change the day Napoleon crowned himself as Emperor of the First French Empire.

Among those who are uneducated in the realm of history, there is a common misconception that the short reign of Napoleon I had little of an impact on the greater world. This could be farther from the case. Not only is Napoleon important for shaping the geopolitical landscape of Europe in the 19th century, Napoleon is the one who cemented Nationalism as a permanent force in politics in not only Europe, but the greater world. Under the French Empire, French culture was centralized into one national identity with the common Frenchman learning of their united history and installed feelings of pride in their country and a need of service to the state. In the dying Holy Roman Empire, a virtual renaissance of German culture had begun due to the German people no longer identifying themselves by the duchies that they inhabited or the Lords who ruled them, rather by their regions and their linguistic roots and common culture. These political revolutions would often have repercussions across the world, one that is especially seen in the Latin American Revolutions were the former colonies of Spain and Portugal began to form their own national identities overnight were before there was little common in these countries besides an allegiance to the crownlands. Due to the liberal and rather revolutionary nature of Nationalism at the time, the ruling aristocrats and nobles sought to kill this phenomenon in order to protect their interests. These efforts were more than counterproductive as they only encouraged greater resistance and fueled the flames of national identity. With the success of the 1846 Revolutions, the old age of Kings was dead and with it came the birth of the Age of Empires and States. This, was the birth of Nationalism.

French Empire:
From the French Revolution to the crowning of Napoleon III, France was far from the most stable of nations as they had gone through nearly a dozen different modes of government, each only slightly staying longer than the last. Democracy failed with Robspierre and the Directorate, the Bourbons failed thrice, and even Napoleon failed in his grand quest to conquest Europe. So what exactly made his nephew succeed when the great Conqueror could not? The answer is simple, moderation and centralization. Napoleon III realized that reaching for grand goals was impractical for the rule of a large Empire such as France as often the desire to do grand would kill the dream before it had been achieved. Rome had wanted control of all of Europe, its gigantic borders leading it open to invasion from outside forces while administration stagnated without a key central rule. Spain relied far too much on its overseas colonies and focused on expanding land both in the Americas and Europe when the Iberian Peninsula could not keep up. Napoleon I was greedy and felt desire to conquer every nation that he could lay his hands on to make himself master of Europa, leading to his downfall after the Peninsula Wars and Invasion of Russia when he could've stopped after the Fifth Coalition. If Napoleon III wanted the Bonaparte dynasty to live on, he needed to lay the groundwork so that his descendants could finish the job. Imperial conquests and territorial gains were done moderately and placed in a few key strategic positions that relied on their resources and global worth rather than the prestige of granting more land. In each expansion Napoleon only did so when France would suffer no consequences and face few international repercussions, often gaining new allies in the process. Domestic rule in France was centralized and the power overturned to the monarchy almost completely; Napoleon preventing a Second Revolution by making all parties happy in key places that would satisfy their basic needs. The Liberals and Republicans were satisfied with freedom of speech, religion, and organization, all the while having an elected legislature of universal male suffrage that while powerless gave the appearance of popular rule. The Church and Conservatives were satisfied with the overtures in giving the French Catholic Church almost free reign and a large amount of state support, absolutist institutions like the Army and the colonies given a similar amount of support. The moderates overall were pleased with the Protectionist policies in place by Napoleon which led to French capitol staying in France and the Industrial Revolution taking upmost precedence with the prioritization of modernizing infrastructure and building of factories to quicken production. With the French success story seeming continuous and the Empire rising to a place that could rival their German and British neighbors, the French people were content. No longer did they dwell upon their local needs, rather they looked to Paris and thought on how best to serve the French nation. To many it seemed that Napoleon fit Machiavelli's perfect description of the Prince. He was the ruler France both needed and deserved. Vive Le Emperuer!

upload_2017-9-2_5-0-36.jpeg

Paris, the city of Lights and a hearth of European culture

Kingdom of Spain: Since the end of the Latin Revolutions in 1821, Spain had been on a period of virtual decline and stagnation among the other great powers of Europe. At one point Spain was the superpower of the world and had an empire whose territory rivaled Britain's. However like the Roman Empire, Spain suffered three critical aspects that caused its empire to fall; poor leadership, overextension, and a stagnate economy. In the end what prevented Spain from catching up with Europe was its lack of resources. This works in a paradoxical manor that caused Spain's own downfall as their lack of resources forced Spain to create their Latin Empire, but they never tried to invest them wisely to prop up the homeland, instead reveling in their success. Both France and Great Britain not only had a multitude of natural resources within their own borders, but the proper capitol to finance them. With Spain losing both of these thanks to the rise of the Latin Republics, it would keep them down as the rest of Europe marched on. Many Spaniards blamed their troubles on the Liberals of the Spanish court, as they had thrust themselves into power with rise of the Bourbon dynasty which started the period of decay and stagnation. Dissatisfied with the promises of Liberalism and abhorred by the Radical Republicanism that had made the French Revolutions and the rise of Napoleon possible, the Spanish people began to search for a return to roots. To the enemies of the Liberals the answer was simple, come back to the ways of God and the traditional methods that had achieved the rise of Spanish power in the first place. Conservatism and Reactionary policies became popular among the Spanish people who wanted change in their lives. Their prayers would be answered in the form of the Carlists.

images

Proclamation of King Carlos V

The Carlists were a Conservative faction in Spanish politics who refused to recognize Queen Isabella as the rightful ruler of Spain due to the Bourbons using Semi-Salic law where all male claimants came before female claimants to the throne, in opposition to the Bourbon usage of Absolute Primogeniture granted by the Pragmatic Sanction of 1832. This was done in order to give Don Carlos/Carlos V, a greater claim which would land the Conservatives a supporter on the throne. The First Carlos Rebellion was an utter failure with Carlos being sent into exile and the throne's rule in Catalonia secure. To the Liberals and many of those abroad, it would seem that Isabella would stay the rightful Queen, this would not be the case. In his exile (which lasted to his death in 1859) Carlos managed to gain a wide variety of foreign nobles to support his cause, most importantly would be Pope Pius IX. While Pius was a Liberal Pope of the time, he would traditionally support the Church first in many situations abroad. In Carlos the Pope saw an opportunity to return Spain to the center of the Catholic Church and spread his ideology on Catholic teachings to become the new social norm in Spain, usurping the nobility with the Church as the new head of the social order. Don Carlos would often be seen in the Vatican and form a time took part in the formation of the Federation. The Spanish people who were as a whole devout Catholics, saw the support of the pontiff as a sign that God was with Carlos. Additional factors that helped the Carlist reign were the success of Catholic Capitalism in Italy and the strong authoritarian and conservative rule of Napoleon III in France. These two key examples when combined presented the ideal manner of rule for a European monarchy. This would still not be too much of a threat if Isabella had been an effective leader, which she was not. During her reign the Left wing of Spanish politics faced constant bickering; the Moderados, Progressives, and Liberals. These three factions would often switch hands in government and would focus more on securing power rather than finding ways to use it, preventing Spain's domestic problems from being solved effectively and allowing the colonial situation to worsen with numerous revolts in Spain's imperial remnant. As the other nations of Europe thrust themselves headfirst into modernization and started glorious empires, Spain was left to suffer in the dirt. The Spanish people grew tired, demanding effective leadership that would return to a glorious age. These Nationalist sentiments would build up until it exploded with the Second Carlist War, and the return of the "One True King".

images

A Carlist Rally outside Barcelona

Republic of Hungary: For three centuries had Hungary suffered under the oversight of the Austrians. For three centuries had the norm been that Vienna's priorities would come first over Budapest's. These long years built up a large amount of resentment in the Hungarians towards their German rulers. That sentiment had been unleashed in the 1846 Revolutions, ending with the Magyar people overcoming their struggles and gaining independence. However in the early years of the Republic it would often be found that fighting for independence was easier than keeping it. While the Ten Points made by the Revolutionaries were put into the Hungarian Constitution, it was either not enough or far too radical for a good number of the population. Discontent arose from the upper classes due to the elimination of the Magyar Magnates in the Republic and the loss of their patronage from the Hapsburgs. Conservatives were angry at the usage of secularization and demanded that Catholicism be reinstituted as the state religion with the Orthodox peoples converted to the one true faith. Most importantly was the treatment of minorities and their place in this new Hungary. While the Hungarian Constitution gave minority rights in the recognition of both freedom of language and religion, this was only a few of the bare basics that the minorities were give. The Hungarian National identity was expected to take precedence with Hungarians first and Slavs second. Almost all government programs that came into being directed a majority of their funding and efforts to Hungary proper before distributing it to the rest of the realm. Nationally the Hungarian language was expected to be taught as the universal tongue to unite all citizens, not making any accommodations for other languages outside of their home regions. Most importantly were the conflicts of interest between Hungarian Nationalist and other Nationalist groups within the Republic. Transylvanian wanted to seek unification with Romania and often felt pressured and threatened at the growth of Hungarian settlements. Slovaks wanted to either return to Austria or build their own nation, Croatia simply wanting a return to its status of self-governance. Of the three the Croats were often favored due to their shared history and practice of Catholicism with the Hungarians, the establishment of the Croatian National State within Hungary as an autonomous province coming to be in 1858. For the Hungarian majority they simply could not comprehend the complains of those beneath them. The Slavs were given basic human rights in their own provinces and were living in the lands that had been traditionally Hungarian for centuries, often sharing in the legislation that came out of Budapest. It was a tragic dual relationship that could be perceived as both sides looking into a mirror; the Hungarians as fair masters that were disrespected, and the Slavs a race oppressed.

This did not mean that all was not well in Hungary as it was the decade after independence where the Republic would enter into the world stage. Under the guise of the ever popular Lajos Kossuth, Hungary integrated themselves into the European economy and began to enter the Industrial Revolution when it had been ignored previously in the Austrian Empire. This often came in the form of close cooperation with the Germans who wanted to use Hungary as a close ally in Eastern Europe that could help them put Austria under heel and stand up to the might of Russia. Much as seen in the cases of other European countries in the Second Renaissance, Hungarian culture began to be exported outside of the nation through the works of Nationalistic artists whose pieces made the outside world exposed to Hungarian history and customs. Observing the reforms of the Prussian system and the usage of modernized weaponry in North America, the Hungarian Army transformed itself overnight to one of the highest quality professional armies that could put down any rebellion and protect its borders and sovereignty. Cordial relations were maintained with most of the continent and Hungary was seen as the model European democracy. Hungary may not have been a powerhouse with an empire like some of its other neighbors, but it was a strong nation that was holding up on its own and for the first time, controlling its destiny.

300px-Barab%C3%A1s_V%C3%A1laszt%C3%A1si_menet.jpg

Hungarian elections 1856

Scandinavia: In the prior two centuries Scandinavia was once a great power among the mighty Kingdoms of Europe. During the reign of Gustavus Adolphus Sweden was the premier military in Europe due to the Swedes being the innovators who would give birth to the modern system of military organization. Denmark could once count itself as part of the colonial powers with its colonies in North America and Canada placing it in a unique state of prestige. Alas, all good things must come to an end. Without a large amount of resources to propel it into the industrial revolution such as England and France, the Scandinavian Kingdoms would try an fail to keep up with the rest of Europe, fading into obscurity and the might of a secondary power. During the Napoleonic Wars Finland would be annexed by the Russians while Norway switched occupation from Denmark to Sweden. While the Napoleonic Wars can in many ways be considered the deathblow of Scandinavian power, it was also the era that would give birth to the idea of Pan-Scandinavianism, the idea that the peninsula and the greater Nordic people should unify under one flag. During the mid 19th century a cultural Nordic revival took place with Old Norse being studied in the Universities of Copenhagen and Stockholm. Norse cultural practices and mythology which were once persecuted for their Pagan teachings, became popular customs once more as children would learn tales o the mighty Thor and Odin, taking part in Norse festivals and redecorating the landscape to get rid of most uses of Western culture. With a greater feeling of cultural unity, the people of Scandinavia began to call for political unity, the creation of a common nation in a similar manner to the Kalmar Union. At first it appeared that a United Scandinavia would eventually become a reality thanks to increasing trade deals and cooperation between Denmark and Sweden. The two would come to integrate their economies with close trade in the wake of the Industrial Revolution, the borders becoming all but open as migration between the two became common, allowing for a exchange of ideas and beliefs. The 1846 Revolutions would come to show that political unity would not become the case due to the lack of action from both monarchies of the respective Kingdoms. Much in a similar manner to the German question, it could not be decided whether or not Denmark or Sweden would take up the role of leader of this Scandinavian Union. Both Christian VIII of Denmark and Oscar I of Sweden were not willing to part with their sovereignty and demanded that the other submit as a vassal. At the same time reactionary forces in both Kingdoms were opposed on the basis of ethnic Nationalism and the fear that a Kalmar Union would lead to a loss of power for the nobility. This political stalemate would lead into the 1850's, weakening Pan-Scandinavianism and placing Nationalist philosophers to focus on ethnocentrism. The situation would change entirely come the end of the Schleswig-Holstein War. With Denmark's loss to Germany they had also lost their status as a secondary power, becoming weak in the eyes of Europe, while the House of Oldenberg became highly unpopular with the Danish people. Tired of the rule of the Oldenberg's and wishing for a return of the Golden Age, Danish Nationalists began to look towards their Swedish neighbors who at that point was a strong representation of a stable European monarchy. To the Danes, the Swedes were their only hopes of relevance on the worldstage and the return of greatness for the Kingdom. Thus, Nationalists began to shift towards a new goal; revolution and unification.
images

Flag of the Kalmar Union

Ottoman Empire and the Balkans: The Balkans has often been called the "Powder Keg" of Europe for being the source of many of Europe's modern problems. Indeed between the Second War of German Unification and the Great War, almost all crises that erupted on the continent seemed to center themselves around the Peninsula. The root of this lies around the birth of Nationalism and the dwindling days of the Ottoman Empire. While since the Siege of Vienna the Turks had been on a steady retreat towards Constantinople, they had almost always been able to keep a measurable amount of domestic order in the lands that they had occupied. This peace would end in the 1830's with the independence of Greece and Serbia, only to be further reinforced by the creation of Romania following the Crimean War. The Balkans nationalities began to realize that the Sultans of Constantinople were no longer all powerful and that when faced with widespread dissent, they could be forced to acquiesce to their demands. Supported by their Slavic Orthodox brothers in St. Petersburg, the Balkans descended into a land of blood and fire. The most common way to oppose the Ottomans was to embrace the Nationalism of their respective ethnicites and revive the culture of their nations. Even simply speaking a Slavic language such as Serbian was a denouncement of Ottoman rule in that it was a call to return to self-rule in centuries prior and that they would not recognize neither the Sultan nor the teaching of the Prophet Mohammed (with the exception of Bosnia and Albania) as their rightful way of life. Terrorism began its roots first and foremost in the region as Revolutionaries and anarchist sought to bring down the old system and give rise to a glorious revolution which would resurrect the Kingdoms and Empires of old, or reunify them with their neighbors. According to UNATCO, the first terrorist organization to use modern tactics were the Sons of Vladimir, a Romanian terror organization made up of veterans of the Crimean War which sought to unify all Romanians living in Hungary and the Ottomans, with the additional goal of freeing their Slavic brethren. The Sons made their first appearance in 1857 with the assassination of an Ottoman General in Belgrade, numerous other acts following in the coming years. With the near death of the Austrian Empire, Russia was more than happy to come into the role of "Defender of Christiandem" and actively encouraged Nationalism to be spread in the Balkans, often secretly through the teachings and support of the Russian and Greek Orthodox Churches. With Turkish reactionaries, Arabian Nationalists, and Islamic Radicals all rising in opposition against the Sultan for seemingly bending over to the Western powers, the time was now for a renaissance of Slavic culture and the work to be laid for a grand Slavic uprising. Unfortunately as seen in the aftermath of the Balkans War, the people of the peninsula would come to find that living together and coexisting was only possible with a common enemy, and that their greatest foes could be the people that they once shared their hardships with.

A/N: Hey guys, the story of Lone Star Republic continues! I know this is a slow chapter, but I just kind of wanted to return to what the rest of the world was doing as well as lay the stages subtly for events to come. The one major change from events here is that Nationalism will continue to remain a strong force in global politics and culture well into the middle and late 20th century, something which we will see to come to be later. Many conflicts are hinted at and key players brought into the spotlight. All of this leading to a fun last third of the century which sees colonialism in full swing, and the birth of alliances which will come to fruition in the Great War. Chapter 93 will be the leadup to the Paraguayan War, and Chapter 94 the Taiping Rebellion. Thanks for all the great positive feedback and my thoughts and prayers out to my fellow Texans in the aftermath of Harvey. We may be battered, but we will never be beaten for the spirit of Texas is strong and it shall live on! Long live the Lone Star Republic!

Good update; like how you're setting the stage for future events and dropping Easter Eggs about the future...

Waiting for more, of course...

I am guessing the Aesir Revival is more akin to the Greeks respect and such for their mythology rather than an actual religious revival.

The commentary on Frace was quite intriguing as so much of it was OTL more or less scanned from a different angle. I would also note that in relation to comparing France to Spain, Napoleon III actually expanded France proper along with the Empire. What with nice Savoy and Sardinia joining France. So more population and resources for France itself.

Hmm, though I ask how Sardinia is doing? One reason they went with France was the Emperor promised them a degree of autonomy and recognition for the Sardinian language.

Good to see Hungary still has its fair share of problems.

Spain though may take the cake. Its rare to see the Carlists portrayed in a positive light in my experience. Though it seems Carlos and by extension his movement have been influenced greatly by the Reform Pope and witnessing the birth of a unified Italy.

I am guessing the loss of at the very least Cuba in the coming war will be the spark to ignite the next Carlist War.

I am guessing Britain, Russia, and Germany get their own chapter.

I'm with you on this one @Herr Frage

The Carlists, being viewed as the saviors Spain needs? More often than not, I'd love to see how much influence the Reform Pope put on Carlos V. Honestly, I'm more surprised he's still alive (by April 1863, the old bastard would be 74...also died 8 years prior OTL, as did his eldest son for some god-forsaken reason.)

More often than not, I'd love to see how much influence the Reform Pope put on Carlos V. Honestly, I'm more surprised he's still alive (by April 1863, the old bastard would be 74...also died 8 years prior OTL, as did his eldest son for some god-forsaken reason.)

The post says Don Carlos died in 1859. So it will be his heirs caring this new torch forward.

With no Franco-Prussian War on the horizon and Britain weaker than OTL it seems fairly smooth sailing for Napoleon III. While there is likely a good deal of opposition still with Legitimists Republicans and others; here he seems to have won over the center and the moderates of the two wings. And even a good portion of the more extreme Catholics are supporting him here. He may even live longer ITTL with no stress from his dethronement and th Empire being more stable previously.

Napoleon IV will be about seven by now. How is he being educated ITTL? Is the Pope still his godfather?

It would be cool for him to cross paths with Louis Phillipe the Younger during his time in Texas.