London Steelyard remains, becomes exterritorial

Susano

Banned
A weird idea I had. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelyard - the chief Hanseatic property in England.

So what could happen so that it remains and somehow becomes a territory exterritorial from England? Either as mini-state a la Vatican, or as hanseatic or German exclave, or as territory with no wown souveregnity but regogncied as exterritorial from English law (a la embassies or the Roman buildings of the Maltese Order)?

Thande

Donor
Right in the Square Mile? Now that would be weird...

Problem is avoiding what caused its closure in the first place, i.e. competition with the City.

Susano

Banned
Right in the Square Mile? Now that would be weird...

Problem is avoiding what caused its closure in the first place, i.e. competition with the City.

Or have a stronger Hansa that can ward off any attacks. Of couse, if the entire Kingdom of England is behind it that wont hold forever... probably avoiding rivalry, maybe because due to some form of English-Hanseatic cooperation would work better. Maybe France also becomes a trading power, giving the two sides a natural icnentive to cooperate? Or some fudging in the reformation, of course...

The City of London had a long-term rivalry with the post-1066 monarchy (the building of the Tower of London inside the city's walls was done in 1067, and for a good reason). Maybe the City becomes a full member of the Hansa, and the trade association becomes involved in the ongoing rivalry between the monarchy and its capital city? Perhaps the induction of several other major English towns, so the Hansa become the primary backers of the anti-monarchy factions. That could do cool things to the politics of England's nobles vs. monarchy conflicts . . . an earlier and much more musclar role for City merchants in England's government?