Lithuania in the Mitteleuropa

So. Central Powers victory in WW1. It's a really common AH scenario, and sometimes ends up happening in timelines which don't even have WW1 as their point of divergence. You know what's also really popular in CP WW1 victory scenarios? Having Germany establish a bunch of puppet states in Eastern Europe, all economically tied to the Kaiserreich, known as the Mitteleuropa.

And it almost always follows the borders in the mod Kaiserreich, often to the point of unoriginal ripoffs, but I digress.

Despite the establishment of these various puppet states, be it Lithuania, or Poland, or Ukraine, or the United Baltic Duchy or whatever, the internal politics, events and developments in these countries is rarely, if ever, touched upon. Usually, AH writers just assume they are sitting around being Germany's puppets (to use a slightly less strong word, one not related to female dogs) all day and nothing ever happens out there. Unless some war happens between Germany and Russia. Which is a shame, because imagining a German-dominated Eastern Europe is really interesting and opens up some interesting possibilities.

To help some of those poor AH writers who might want to look into Mitteleuropa when they're not wanking their country of choice, I've decided to put some of my thoughts on what I imagine one of these common Mitteleuropa nations, this being Lithuania, to look like in such a world.

Let's start.

Politics of Lithuania

It's more than just sticking Wilhelm von Urach at the top and calling it a day.

Generally, the most standard (or cliche, if you prefer that word) CP victory scenarios have the war be resolved through some combination of the US not joining the war, Russia peacing out, the 1918 Spring Offensive succeeding, Germany taking Paris, France rebelling, Britain peacing out, which immediately sets a number of important starting factors at play here - first, the 1917 Vilnius Conference has happened and the Council of Lithuania has been elected, representing Lithuanians as the first democratically chosen organ of the Lithuanian people, and second, the December 11 Act, declaring Lithuania as an independent constitutional monarchy under political, economic and diplomatic ties with Germany, has been signed by the Council, and later became the basis for Germany's recognition of Lithuanian independence (not the February 16 Act, which we now know as the Declaration of Restoration of Independence! That act was only recognized by the Germans after the Spring Offensive failed and in desperate need of allies, which does not happen here!). Normally, it would become the basis for an "independent" Lithuania in this scenario.

One thing should be noted was that the famous Wilhelm von Urach, who, in most CP victory timelines, ascends as the King of a puppet Kingdom of Lithuania, does not officially come into play until later - sure, he had been one of the top contenders for the Lithuanian throne, proposed by Zentrum politician and fellow Württemberger Matthias Erzberger on fall of 1917 to Lithuanian representatives Konstantinas Olšauskas and Juozas Purickis, he was by no means the only contender. It should also be noted that the Council of Lithuania's election of von Urach as Mindaugas II was more of a Lithuanian expression of independence rather than a desire to keep close ties with Germany, as he was pretty much the perfect "pro-independence" candidate for the throne - he was not a member of House Hohenzollern, he was Roman Catholic and he supported Lithuania over Poland in the territorial conflict between the independence movements of both states.

In fact, von Urach's election was actually declared illegitimate by the German government - the election came with a number of asterisks attached, including having von Urach learn the Lithuanian language and have it as his court and state language, rule from Vilnius rather than from his castle in Germany, and the kingdom will have to be a constitutional bicameral monarchy, with democratic reforms such as universal suffrage, women suffrage and other reforms. None of this was preferable to Germany and its imperialistic ambitions - it much rather preferred such candidates as Wilhelm II's son Prince Joachim or the second son of the King of Saxony, Prince Friedrich Christian, or even Wilhelm II himself. In all three of these cases, this would have resulted in a personal union between Lithuania and Germany and would leave Lithuania with little, if any, autonomy.

This is where history splits, going into two directions depending on the outcome of events after the war is resolved:

A) The good option: Germany may have won the war, but they are too exhausted to get into a conflict with their Eastern satellite and decides to just give them what they want and hope to control them through economic domination. Lithuania is established as a constitutional bicameral monarchy with universal suffrage and King Mindaugas II, instantly becoming one of the most politically progressive states in Mitteleuropa. The nation is dependent on German military help and is economically reliant on them, but is fairly autonomous otherwise.

Because the Christian Democrats and Tautininkai were the two movements who were behind this plan and propped it up, they become the most powerful political forces in the country, though definitely the former than the latter (the latter would probably remain fairly obscure or play second fiddle to LKDP), and with the Social Democrats discredited by the ongoing revolution in Russia and their opposition to the constitutional monarchy plan, the only remaining major political forces in the country are Peasant parties and minority parties, so LKDP dominates for decades on end. The political crises of OTL interwar Lithuania are unlikely and we may be much more likely to see decade-long Christian Democrat governments under people such as Aleksandras Stulginskis, Mykolas Krupavičius, Leonas Bistras and others.

B) The bad option: Imperialistic ambitions prevail in Germany and they decide to get rid of the Urach affair in Lithuania - either they force the Council of Lithuania to cancel the coronation and choose a king by themselves, or just disperse the Council completely and work with the Tautininkai and a few right-wing Christian Democrats for whatever result they want. Most likely, this would result in a personal union between Lithuania and Germany, circumventing the Reichstag Peace Resolution by not technically annexing anything, yet practically integrating Lithuania, and likely the rest of the Baltics as well, into the Kaiserreich.

It's unlikely that Lithuania would survive for all that long here, but for the few years that a puppet "Kingdom of Lithuania" remains before the masquerade is closed, I would imagine it being dominated by right-wing governments. Augustinas Voldemaras and Antanas Smetona, two of the most pro-German politicians in Lithuania at the time, would likely be the top of the pack here.

Military of Lithuania

Okay, this is actually pretty humorous.

The first Prime Minister of Lithuania after the German capitulation was Augustinas Voldemaras, and he followed a very by-the-word definition of "war to end all wars". He believed that after World War I, militaries will be unnecessary, as no more wars will ever take place, so Lithuania only needs a police force and a militia to keep itself safe. Of course, in OTL, this only made it so the Lithuanians were not adequately prepared for the Bolshevik invasion in a few months time, but in TTL, with the German Army protecting Lithuanian borders, with almost all of their borders being with allied nations (except maybe to the east, depending on what happens to Belarus), and with any Polish-Lithuanian conflict likely stopped in its crib because both states are German underlings now, those words might actually be true, at least for some time.

So you might have a Kingdom of Lithuania which does not have a military at all, only a police force, the Riflemen Union as a national militia and maybe a "royal guard" brigade or something. Of course, assuming the good path happens.

Demographics of Lithuania, and their impact

It's still not known what Lithuania's borders were going to be in the Mitteleuropa, and for obvious reasons (it never happened) - and after all, even the following Republic of Lithuania, which actually did survive for a reasonable amount of time, took two years to even establish a permanent eastern border, constantly exchanging territory with Poland, the Soviets, etc. As such, it's hard to say something concrete about the demographics of a Mitteleuropa Lithuania. However, some initial assumptions have to be made: Vilnius Region will most likely stay in Lithuanian hands (divide and conquer strategy to keep Poland and Belarus weaker, plus Vilnius being a historical capital), Suwalki may or may not fall into Lithuanian hands as well, depending on the mood of the Germans.

With that set, I think it's a fair assumption to give Lithuania the governorates of Kaunas, Vilnius and Suwalki as a starting point. Which puts its population (1897 est., not adjusted for 1918) and ethnic composition as such:
  • Lithuanians: 1 598 688 (43,33%)
  • Belarusians: 945 338 (25,62%)
  • Jews: 469 057 (12,71%)
  • Poles: 400 388 (10,85%)
  • Russians: 173 175 (4,69%)
  • Other: 102 531 (2,77%)
  • Total: 3 689 177
Now, at first glance, this sounds like a terribly unstable demographic division - however, these are the 1897 numbers, and there are a number of changes which took place from there to the 1920s - first of all, Russians and a sizable portion of the "other" group (Ukrainians, etc.) would end up repatriating or simply no longer appear in censuses at all, as many of them were either recent colonists or the families of Tsarist soldiers stationed in the region. Repatriation will also be the fate of many Poles - especially the Polonized gentry, which will be heavily impacted by inevitable land reform, a fear of a nationalist surge in Lithuania as well as attachment to Poland rather than Lithuania. This is what happened in Lithuania in mass during the late 1910s and early 1920s, and while the repatriation may be slightly lesser because of no Polish-Lithuanian wars, it would still take place.

In addition, much of the population in eastern Lithuania belonged to the tutejszy category - people who lacked national self-identification and were thus labeled as Belarusians or Russians by the pro-Russian census makers. In a Mitteleuropa Lithuania, which would likely have schooling in Lithuanian and German, the tutejszy would be quickly assimilated into the Lithuanian language.

Still, that does not mean that the situation will not be unstable. In fact, it may even be worse than the OTL situation in Latvia and Estonia, and both of those have Russian minorities in the 20 percent ranges. The large and concentrated Belarusian minority, and often majority, in Eastern Lithuania would be unwilling to assimilate and seek to break away from a Lithuanian nation they do not necessarily want to be a part in, ironically resembling the OTL situation in Polish Kresy somewhat. If Russia is either Soviet or revanchist, expect them to prop up Belarusian interest groups and irredentist movements to destabilize Mitteleuropa by either causing friction between their members or by trying to get the Belarusians to rebel to join the Belarusian SSR, depending on what ends up of Belarus. The Suwalki region will harbor similar problems, just with the Poles rather than with the Belarusians. Of course, the Jewish minority will be an important dilemma as well - at 13 percent, Lithuania would have the largest percentage of Jews in all of Europe, and maybe the world, if Israel is not formed.

The fate of Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, would also be interesting. In OTL, its interwar history was shaped by being an important, though still peripheral population center in Poland, but in TTL, it will be the capital and by far the single most important city in Lithuania. The urbanization process in TTL would draw in new population for Vilnius not from Poland, but from Lithuania - after all, during the Interwar period, Lithuania went through one of the largest population booms in its history, only eclipsed by the Soviet era, and all that surplus population in the Lithuanian-speaking countryside has to go somewhere. In OTL, this was Kaunas, the temporary capital of Lithuania, whose population nearly doubled in a span of 20 years - and that rural immigrant population would drift to Vilnius instead.

So in a Mitteleuropa Lithuania, Vilnius would start to re-Lithuanize, shifting from an extremely multicultural town with only a few percent of the population being Lithuanian to a town that is still multicultural, but now with a Lithuanian plurality; meanwhile, Kaunas would never receive the population boost and thus could not ever hope to rival Vilnius in size and influence, unlike OTL. In fact, it's not a long shot to say that in such a scenario, Vilnius could become the equivalent of Riga - the heart of the nation eclipsing all of its competitors in size multiple times, and practically embodying the country itself. A fourth, or even a third of Lithuania residing in Vilnius would make for a very... interesting country.

Culture of Lithuania

As a member of Mitteleuropa, Lithuania would be firmly in the German cultural sphere and its own culture would be heavily influenced by it. I'm not sure if an equivalent of Weimar culture would develop in a victorious Kaiserreich, but knowing that it was a harsh peace and would likely result in some serious political reforms to brush off revolution, I don't see it as unlikely. As such, Lithuanian art and literature, which, during the OTL Interwar period, was still deep in aged, no longer relevant romanticism and any impact of Modernist culture usually resonated in its Neo-Romanticist movement, would be fairly different - perhaps, if participation in the Mitteleuropa means that Lithuania is more impacted by Western art and literature styles, we could see the Four Winds Movement overtake Neo-Romanticism as the primary leading force in Lithuanian literature in the period?

I personally believe that is unlikely - while the Four Winds had Kazys Binkis by their side, I don't think being more relevant to modern day will help them overtake Neo-Romanticism all by itself, when they have such talents as Nėris and Aistis by their side... unless they become modernists themselves through butterflies... - but it's still interesting to speculate about.

A Mitteleuropa Lithuania is also likely to suffer at least some brain drain to German universities. Emigration from Lithuania had been a big problem in OTL at this time period, too, but there, emigration mostly went to the Americas, which were far away, hard to reach and used an alien language. Germany, meanwhile, was right on the border, the German language would likely be mandatory for Lithuanian pupils, and the Germans could, theoretically, even encourage this immigration of talented students and intellectuals for their own gain. As for immigration into Lithuania... well, that depends on the German government itself. If the Germans are feeling like they want to integrate the Baltics into the Reich someday, some colonization will take place, though mostly voluntary anyway. If they just want to dominate Lithuania economically, population exchanges will be very one-sided.

I could probably add some more things here, but I'm getting sleepy

Any thoughts?

Pretty interesting.

What would you say to a German scheme either as part of the "bad path" as you term it or one element of residual influence in the "good path" to settling/encouraging Jews in Lithuania as part of plans to integrate Lithuania with a German friendly populace that don't want upheaval with mostly Germanic-Yiddish speaking Jews in the Kingdom?

Do you think such a thing is plausible as something at least attempted to try to cement control even if it doesn't ultimately work?

Vilnius especially had a storied Jewish history, with the man known in English as the "Vilna Gaon" and being one of the Mitnagdim centres with its opposition to the Hasidim.

Pretty interesting.

What would you say to a German scheme either as part of the "bad path" as you term it or one element of residual influence in the "good path" to settling/encouraging Jews in Lithuania as part of plans to integrate Lithuania with a German friendly populace that don't want upheaval with mostly Germanic-Yiddish speaking Jews in the Kingdom?

Do you think such a thing is plausible as something at least attempted to try to cement control even if it doesn't ultimately work?
Settling German Jews in Lithuania? I'm not sure how well that will go. As far as I'm aware, Jews were fairly well integrated into German society. In addition, I don't think German Jews would be enough to offset the scales in Lithuania (a quick Google search tells me that by religious definition, there were about 520 thousand German Jews in Jan 1933 - there probably were a lot more, but then the difference between Jew and German gets tenuous), unless the German government is willing to deport all of them there.

You might be better off just sending Germans in that case.

Settling German Jews in Lithuania? I'm not sure how well that will go. As far as I'm aware, Jews were fairly well integrated into German society. In addition, I don't think German Jews would be enough to offset the scales in Lithuania (a quick Google search tells me that by religious definition, there were about 520 thousand German Jews in Jan 1933 - there probably were a lot more, but then the difference between Jew and German gets tenuous), unless the German government is willing to deport all of them there.

You might be better off just sending Germans in that case.

Settling Jews moving around due to the general Eastern European chaos in Russia regardless of ultimate outcome there.

So former Russian Jews escaping pogroms or the general anarchy of the Civil War in Russia who have real reasons to want a powerful benefactor in Germany but also likely can have real political influence in Lithuania and want a stable and non-Nationalist government.

Settling Jews moving around due to the general Eastern European chaos in Russia regardless of ultimate outcome there.

So former Russian Jews escaping pogroms or the general anarchy of the Civil War in Russia who have real reasons to want a powerful benefactor in Germany but also likely can have real political influence in Lithuania and want a stable and non-Nationalist government.
It's possible... in theory, but I don't recall this idea ever being proposed as far as I know, or even thought of, and maybe for a good reason.

I'm not sure if it would be successful, either - to make Jewish Lithuania a reality, you would need something like... two to three million Jews to offset all the other minorities as well as Lithuanians themselves, and getting that many would require mass forced resettlement, which Germany might not be capable of making in any reasonable timeframe.

It's possible... in theory, but I don't recall this idea ever being proposed as far as I know, or even thought of, and maybe for a good reason.

I'm not sure if it would be successful, either - to make Jewish Lithuania a reality, you would need something like... two to three million Jews to offset all the other minorities as well as Lithuanians themselves, and getting that many would require mass forced resettlement, which Germany might not be capable of making in any reasonable timeframe.

Not to make Lithuania a Jewish majority, but to make Lithuania Jewish enough that even with only voluntary German settlement and brain drain to Germany that Lithuania will accede to Germany via referendum or after an election and be easily integrated due to ethnic Lithuanians not having a great enough number to resist this even if all of them were to go against this.

I guess I'm just looking at this from the perspective of say a Rathenau deciding in a CP victory that he can help the Jewish people and advance German interests in Lithuania and expand the Empire itself this way. Not in the sense of completely destroying Lithuania, but from the German perspective of just making the geographic region pluralistic enough that integration with minimal colonisation becomes viable.

My thoughts, Germany will likely follow the good option, as the benefits of it are too keep Lithuania happy and the progressive happy at home, while the bad option would only make people happy who already have the Baltic Duchies as a playground. Next i agree with your analysis (at least with the general thing I have no idea of the art aspects). I think a important aspect are that Vilnius won't just receive Lithuanian surplus population, they will also receive Lithuanian Belarusian and Poles, but these will (in Vilnius) likely assimilate into a working class identity connected to the national Lithuanian socialist/labour movement. In general I expect Lithuanian population to rise to 5-6 million and from there the population growth will slow down and the modern Lithuanian population will likely become 8-10 million people. Lithuanian economy will have a export sector primarily based on agriculture and connected industries, while other industries will be domestic use.

I expect Jews to increase as part of population thanks to their higher birth rate and they will likely make up around 20% of the population by modern day and I see little reason for them to give Yiddish up. I expect that urbanisation will lower the percent of Belarusian and Poles, mostly I guess their nominal part of the population will stay stable. If Lithuania get the 10 million people in population that translate to 6 million Lithuanians, 2 million Jews, 1 million Belarusians, 0,5 million Poles and 0,5 million other (mostly Russians and Germans). The majority of the Jewish population will be working class, but they will also serve as a important entrepreneur as their connections in the diaspora give them important economic know how and potential investments. Germans (many of them newly arrived), Lithuanian Lutherans and Poles will likely be dispropotional representyed among the economic elite.

My thoughts, Germany will likely follow the good option, as the benefits of it are too keep Lithuania happy and the progressive happy at home, while the bad option would only make people happy who already have the Baltic Duchies as a playground. Next i agree with your analysis (at least with the general thing I have no idea of the art aspects). I think a important aspect are that Vilnius won't just receive Lithuanian surplus population, they will also receive Lithuanian Belarusian and Poles, but these will (in Vilnius) likely assimilate into a working class identity connected to the national Lithuanian socialist/labour movement. In general I expect Lithuanian population to rise to 5-6 million and from there the population growth will slow down and the modern Lithuanian population will likely become 8-10 million people. Lithuanian economy will have a export sector primarily based on agriculture and connected industries, while other industries will be domestic use.

I expect Jews to increase as part of population thanks to their higher birth rate and they will likely make up around 20% of the population by modern day and I see little reason for them to give Yiddish up. I expect that urbanisation will lower the percent of Belarusian and Poles, mostly I guess their nominal part of the population will stay stable. If Lithuania get the 10 million people in population that translate to 6 million Lithuanians, 2 million Jews, 1 million Belarusians, 0,5 million Poles and 0,5 million other (mostly Russians and Germans). The majority of the Jewish population will be working class, but they will also serve as a important entrepreneur as their connections in the diaspora give them important economic know how and potential investments. Germans (many of them newly arrived), Lithuanian Lutherans and Poles will likely be dispropotional representyed among the economic elite.
I'm not sure on Lithuania growing all the way to 10 million. It was no third world state to be able to triple its population in 100 years, and especially not with emigration still playing an important role in curbing population growth.

Assuming no travesties or major wars in the region happen (and they definitely might), I believe that Lithuanian population growth would plateau in the 1950s-1960s at around 5-6 million people. That's already quite a lot for a small nation. Of course, it all depends on how the other events in the world play out, potentially adding or subtracting a million here and there.

Fun fact: iirc, there were still a handful of Lithuanian pagans in the most remote and forested parts of Lithuania until Stalin. Maybe they could try to evangelize as a way to show Lithuanian culture is different from the German culture that now surrounded it.

Fun fact: iirc, there were still a handful of Lithuanian pagans in the most remote and forested parts of Lithuania until Stalin. Maybe they could try to evangelize as a way to show Lithuanian culture is different from the German culture that now surrounded it.
Ehhhhhhh.

By this point, even if there were a few select groups of people following paganism, it was completely unrecognizable from its pre-Christian self. The majority of the deities had been forgotten and the remaining cultural traditions were deeply influenced by Christian mythology. In addition, Lithuanian paganism had never been an evangelizing religion.

At best, you could see a slightly stronger neo-paganism movement, it started in Lithuania somewhere around this time, but I can't really see an ancient pagan revival.

I'm not sure on Lithuania growing all the way to 10 million. It was no third world state to be able to triple its population in 100 years, and especially not with emigration still playing an important role in curbing population growth.

Assuming no travesties or major wars in the region happen (and they definitely might), I believe that Lithuanian population growth would plateau in the 1950s-1960s at around 5-6 million people. That's already quite a lot for a small nation. Of course, it all depends on how the other events in the world play out, potentially adding or subtracting a million here and there.

Well Denmark's population grew with around 250% through the 20th century, Netherlands did the same, I compared Lithuania with Denmark and Netherlands here, because it would placed in a similar position, and then I expect a small increase in growth compared to them because Lithuania would be more rural.

Deleted member 94680

...snip...

Any thoughts?

This. Is. Fantastic.

Full of well reasoned information and a useful reference.

If (and I heavily stress if) I ever get around to starting the TL in my head, I will plunder this shamelessly for information regarding the Kingdom of Lithuania.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Germany will have to try incredibly hard to force Lithuania out of its' orbit. A surviving Kaiserreich will (once the militarists have receded, post War) be the obvious choice of 'sponsor' for Vilnius. The Russians, the Poles and even the Belarusians (if they ever emerge as a polity) will all have claims on Lithuanian territory that Berlin "shouldn't". An independent Lithuanian government will also be a useful ally and market for German exports.

This. Is. Fantastic.

Full of well reasoned information and a useful reference.

If (and I heavily stress if) I ever get around to starting the TL in my head, I will plunder this shamelessly for information regarding the Kingdom of Lithuania.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Germany will have to try incredibly hard to force Lithuania out of its' orbit. A surviving Kaiserreich will (once the militarists have receded, post War) be the obvious choice of 'sponsor' for Vilnius. The Russians, the Poles and even the Belarusians (if they ever emerge as a polity) will all have claims on Lithuanian territory that Berlin "shouldn't". An independent Lithuanian government will also be a useful ally and market for German exports.
I'm glad to have been of help.

And yes, that would make sense. It should also be noted that in OTL, even without the Germans attempting to economically control Lithuania, 80% of their exports went to Germany (before the Nazi takeover) and the two nations were friendly, ish, before the Nazis botched those relations with their Klaipėda claim, so there is OTL precedent for this attachment.

Pretty extensive insight, and I do realize I haven't fleshed out the Baltics properly in my ASB CP victory TL, ASB only because the Germans won with a GIANT ROBOT, but otherwise suffered from the same issues that force it to conclude a peace with the surviving Allies. Even the territorial extent of Lithuania in my map is... this:

598px-KingdomOfLithuania1918Map.png

In a case of a successful Spring Offensive, it's likely the 'bad option' would have been imposed to a large extent, if not absolutely. I guess it depends how high the losses were for the Germans by the end. As for territorial claims, how big are we looking at? Not as big as Long Litva, I assume. :V

Pretty extensive insight, and I do realize I haven't fleshed out the Baltics properly in my ASB CP victory TL, ASB only because the Germans won with a GIANT ROBOT, but otherwise suffered from the same issues that force it to conclude a peace with the surviving Allies. Even the territorial extent of Lithuania in my map is... this:

598px-KingdomOfLithuania1918Map.png

In a case of a successful Spring Offensive, it's likely the 'bad option' would have been imposed to a large extent, if not absolutely. I guess it depends how high the losses were for the Germans by the end. As for territorial claims, how big are we looking at? Not as big as Long Litva, I assume. :V

It depends, Germany might want a "divide and conquer" system to help keep the Poles down.