List of monarchs III

Russia was last posted at 8.17 PM GMT, the Portuguese list was posted at at 7.45 PM GMT.

Technically, it hasn't been three days since the last Russia post.

Russia was last posted at 8.17 PM GMT, the Portuguese list was posted at at 7.45 PM GMT.

Technically, it hasn't been three days since the last Russia post.
For goodness sake, it's a matter of a few minutes! :p
I'm for Portugal!

Do Russia if you want, but I suggest three lists in that case, especially as Cate had already claimed before you pointed out it was invalid. :)

I'll rescind my claim in this event, but this broke the clear three day rule (it's not two days, 23 hours and 30 minutes and the thread times out), and if we allow the rule break here, then you could argue why do we observe the six hour posting window so strictly

In future, it really needs to be a to-the-minute thing, especially given we're an international board.

It's the same reason that, other than the threads OP, you can't just end a monarchy ahead of the present day.

Last edited:
I'll rescind my claim in this event, but this broke the clear three day rule (it's not two days, 23 hours and 30 minutes and the thread times out), and if we allow the rule break here, then you could argue why do we observe the six hour posting window so strictly

In future, it really needs to be a to-the-minute thing.
I’m not sure. Because the two rules serve different purposes.

The 6 hour rule is so that is anyone is waiting for a turn then don’t had to wait to long. They know they can check back in at most 6 hours.

The 3 day rule is so that if someone wants to join the game but isn’t interested in any of the games they don’t have to wait too long before there’s a new game.

Its definitely important to be clear but I don’t know if the two rules should have the follow through.

anyone else have any thoughts?

In future, it really needs to be a to-the-minute thing.
Well, to be honest, I'm not always sure we should observe the six-hour rule so strictly. Not to the point of clogging up the thread with reminders, anyway. It just creates a whole load of unhelpful notifications for those who have the thread watched. I understand why we have it, but I don't always think it's helpful.

I’m not sure. Because the two rules serve different purposes.

The 6 hour rule is so that is anyone is waiting for a turn then don’t had to wait to long. They know they can check back in at most 6 hours.

The 3 day rule is so that if someone wants to join the game but isn’t interested in any of the games they don’t have to wait too long before there’s a new game.

Its definitely important to be clear but I don’t know if the two rules should have the follow through.

anyone else have any thoughts?
I think there should be a little flexibility on the three-day rule, not least because we're all in different time zones. I can easily see how someone might think a game before it really is or try to revive a dead game by mistake when time differences come into play.

Either that or we ought to allow three games at once rather than just two.

I think there should be a little flexibility on the three-day rule, not least because we're all in different time zones. I can easily see how someone might think a game before it really is or try to revive a dead game by mistake when time differences come into play.

Either that or we ought to allow three games at once rather than just two.

But the board should set the times on post to your local time zone, surely? And if we ignore it, then at what point does a line become fair game to end and start a new one? 48 hours and 1 minute?

And if you allow three games at the same time, you run into the same problem as you have with two. At what point are the lines deemed to be dead?

I am very much committed to being precise on both the six hours and the three days. To the minute.

I don't think we need reminders, though, of the six hours.

But the board should set the times on post to your local time zone, surely? And if we ignore it, then at what point does a line become fair game to end and start a new one? 48 hours and 1 minute?

And if you allow three games at the same time, you run into the same problem as you have with two. At what point are the lines deemed to be dead?
Not always. It has glitches and gives me EDT when I am most definitely GMT/BST...Or you might just not read it by mistake. I see what you're saying, but I do think a 'to-the-minute rule isn't helpful.

The posting was a failure of mine. I confused the time of the French and Russian timelines by mistake. Anyhow, I don't think anyone was interested in the Russian timeline, otherwise they wouldn't have waited so long to do so. I think I posted it soon but not that soon that it disrupted any other user.

The only reason I can see someone being upset with the precise time is that they want to get their new list out before someone posts in the old about to expire list before it does. Otherwise, why be upset that you can't post at 7:45 when the list expires at 8:45? Or maybe it's fear that someone else will start the next list before they can?

How's this for a compromise. When there's only an hour left to the expire time, one can claim "Next list" which is only valid if the expiring list doesn't get updated. That person then can post the new list if the old one dies.

The only reason I can see someone being upset with the precise time is that they want to get their new list out before someone posts in the old about to expire list before it does. Otherwise, why be upset that you can't post at 7:45 when the list expires at 8:45? Or maybe it's fear that someone else will start the next list before they can?

How's this for a compromise. When there's only an hour left to the expire time, one can claim "Next list" which is only valid if the expiring list doesn't get updated. That person then can post the new list if the old one dies.
I did "claim it" very early. Since nobody complained about my claiming I just went ahead and posted it.

I did "claim it" very early. Since nobody complained about my claiming I just went ahead and posted it.

But you posted the update because you believed the timeline had expired. I am not upset with you over that. I'm thinking about the future, why it makes no sense to let people post a new list in the last few minutes left of a list about to expire knowing they're doing it before it dies, which seems what some were arguing for.

Thirding this compromise. Though maybe a couple of hours, just since there is the potential for issues with timezones?

Last edited: