List of Alternate Presidents and PMs II

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlyingSquirrel - Prime Ministers of Canada, 2000-2014: Re-re-alignment
Prime Ministers of Canada, 2000-2014: Re-re-alignment

Paul Martin (LIB), 2001-03 (Liberal majority)
Canadian Alliance: Stephen Harper, Progressive Conservative: Joe Clark, Bloc Quebecois: Gilles Duceppe, New Democratic Party: Alexa McDonough

Though Jean Chretien had hoped to serve three terms of parliament as Prime Minister, a sense within his own party that he no longer had a clear agenda and had been ineffective in responding to various controversies led to his replacement by his Finance Minister and rival Paul Martin in mid-2001. Martin, whose instincts on fiscal matters leaned to the right, led the Liberal Party in even more of a fiscally conservative direction as Prime Minister, expanding his appeal among suburban voters but creating unrest among the party's base. The Progressive Conservatives, sensing an opportunity, made a conscious effort to revive the "Red Tory" mantra by positioning themselves to the left of the Liberals on the economy, a role that both leader (and former PM) Joe Clark and his successor, David Orchard, were well-suited to playing. The breaking point came in 2003 when the Martin Government, judging the American alliance too critical to risk undermining it, committed Canadian troops to the deeply unpopular (in Canada) Iraq War. Many Canadians were outraged, with backbench Liberals increasingly threatening rebellion or suggesting that an election be called before the party's standing grew even weaker. Martin, hoping that the division among the opposition parties might keep the Liberals in power, finally agreed in late 2003.

David Orchard (PC), 2003-05 (Progressive Conservative minority)
Canadian Alliance: Stephen Harper, Liberal: John Manley, Bloc Quebecois: Gilles Duceppe, NDP: Jack Layton
The PCs' "Red Tory" approach had destroyed any hopes of "uniting the Right," particularly with the growing ambiguity of whether the PCs were even on the "right" any longer, but the Liberals' rupture with their base voters and the unpopularity of the Iraq War gave them an opening of which they made shrewd use. Pledging to wind down Canadian deployments to Iraq and restore the funding to social programs that the Liberals had cut under Chretien and Martin, the PCs posted major gains in the Maritimes, the Prairies, and Quebec (where the Liberals fell to just 4 seats), becoming the largest party but with just over 100 seats. Meanwhile, the Liberals' rightward shift opened the door to NDP gains in the urban cores of Toronto and Vancouver. The PCs were able to secure a 2-year agreement of support from the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois (who agreed with them on the campaign's major issues - Iraq and social programs). Though the new government took some heat over working with the separatist Bloc, their mostly-popular policies and the lack of constitutional opprobrium over the 2 years largely put the controversy to rest.

Scott Brison (PC), 2005-08 (Progressive Conservative-Liberal grand coalition)
Canadian Alliance: Stephen Harper, Liberal: John Manley, Bloc Quebecois: Gilles Duceppe, NDP: Jack Layton

Orchard, having accomplished his major goals - shifting the PCs to the left, restoring social programs, and pulling Canadian troops out of Iraq - decided to step down as leader at the end of the 2-year agreement with the BQ and NDP, though he came to regret it somewhat when the more fiscally conservative Scott Brison was elected as his replacement. When another hung parliament resulted, Brison formed a centrist Grand Coalition with the Liberals under John Manley. Though Orchard's spending increases were left untouched, the new government was more restrained in future budgets and worked to mend the rift with the United States. The Liberals, having first shifted to the right and then joined a grand coalition with their traditional rivals, increasingly looked like a divided, directionless party that stood for little beyond a vague and flexible moderation. Six Liberal MPs crossed the floor during this parliament - three moderates to the PC caucus, and three now thoroughly demoralized leftists to the NDP.

Jason Kenney (CA), 2008-10 (Canadian Alliance minority)
Progressive Conservative: Danny Williams, Bloc Quebecois: Gilles Duceppe, NDP: Jack Layton, Liberal: Michael Ignatieff

Under new leader Jason Kenney, the Canadian Alliance had made strategic outreaches to immigrant communities and capitalized on the still-in-flux alignments of the PCs and the Liberals, winning the largest share of seats despite taking only 34% of the popular vote. The Liberals, with their former voters increasingly defecting to the PCs and the NDP, saw their seat total collapse to just 21. However, Kenney's government - with all other parties positioned somewhere to their left - struggled to get legislation passed, relying on ad-hoc alliances on individual issues and finally falling in a vote of no-confidence over a budget bill in late 2010. The PCs chose popular Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams as Brison's successor, who seemed to promise an approach more similar to that of the Orchard government.

Danny Williams (PC), 2010-2014 (Progressive Conservative-NDP coalition)
Canadian Alliance; Jason Kenney, Bloc Quebecois: Gilles Duceppe, NDP: Jack Layton, Liberal: Joyce Murray

Just 17 years after reducing the PCs to a seemingly unrecoverable standing of just 2 seats, Liberals now found themselves on the opposite side of the divide, retaining just 5 seats as the dissolution of their voter base was nearly complete. Having established themselves as the new party of the center/center-left consensus, the Progressive Conservatives won a healthy 131 seats, their best tally post-Mulroney, and formed a coalition with the NDP, who had absorbed most of the urban progressive vote. Williams was reluctant to risk any sort of formal agreement with the Bloc, and the NDP's Jack Layton, eager to bring the NDP into cabinet, was convinced that supporting the PCs was the lesser evil compared to the risk of another Alliance government or a period of protracted political chaos. Layton's death in 2011 meant that the NDP lacked a spokesperson with the standing to try to play hardball with Williams or try to pull the government further to the left, and the party largely acquiesced to the government's moderate course.

(I thought about having Jean Charest defect to the federal Liberals and become their new leader just in time for the 2010 wipeout for maximum irony, but decided against it.)

Mumby - I had an idea, based very, very vaguely on @shiftygiant 's thing of the same people serving at the same times.
I had an idea, based very, very vaguely on @shiftygiant 's thing of the same people serving at the same times.

1979-1987: Sir John Joseph, 2nd Baronet (Liberal)
1979 (Majority) def. Joseph Fraser (Unionist), Len Callaghan (Labour)
1983 (Minority) def. Andrew Bonar Law, Jr. (Unionist), Edward Brocklebank-Fowler (Labour-Primrose Tory Alliance)

1987-1990: Jack E. Powell (Liberal)
1988 (Majority) def. Andrew Bonar Law, Jr. (Unionist), Ernie Prentice (Labour), Harold Amery (Primrose Tory)
1990-1997: Charles Heseltine (Liberal)
1991 (Minority) def. Alick Buchanan-Smith (Unionist), Peter Finlayson (Labour)
1992 (Majority) def. Alick Buchanan-Smith (Unionist), Peter Finlayson (Labour)

1997-2004: Patrick Temple-Morris (Unionist)
1997 (Majority) def. Charles Heseltine (Liberal), Mary Beckett (Labour)
2002 (Majority) def. Emma Nicholson (Liberal), Mary Beckett (Labour)

2004-2010: Anthony Woodward (Unionist)
2005 (Majority) def. Andrew Ancram (Liberal), James Reid (Labour)
2010-2020: Ignatius Clegg (Liberal)
2010 (Coalition with Labour) def. Anthony Woodward (Unionist), James Brown (Labour), collective (Preservative)
2015 (Majority) def. Adrian Gove (Unionist), Frank Goldsmith (Preservative), James Brown (Labour)

dw93 - I Won Fair and Square (No Watergate):
I Won Fair and Square (No Watergate):

37. Richard Nixon / Spiro Agnew *(Republican): 1969-1973
Def. 1968: Hubert Humphrey / Edmund Muskie (Democratic)
Def. 1972: George McGovern / Sargent Shriver (Democratic)

37. Richard Nixon / Vacant (Republican): 1973-1973
Richard Nixon / John Connally (Republican): 1973-1977

Ronald Reagan / Nelson Rockefeller **(Republican): 1977-1979
Def. 1976: Ted Kennedy / Scoop Jackson (Democratic)
38. Ronald Reagan / Vacant (Republican): 1979-1979
Ronald Reagan / Howard Baker (Republican): 1979-1981

Hugh Carey / Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic): 1981-1989
Def. 1980: Ronald Reagan / Howard Baker (Republican)
Def. 1984: Howard Baker / Paul Laxalt (Republican)

40. Tom Kean / Bob Dole (Republican): 1989-1997
Def. 1988: Lloyd Bentsen / Gary Hart (Democratic)
Def. 1992: Dick Gephardt / John Glenn (Democratic)

41. Joe Biden / Al Gore (Democratic): 1997-2005
Def. 1996: Bob Dole / Dick Cheney (Republican)
Def. 2000: Pete Wilson / Jim Edgar (Republican)

42. Al Gore / Howard Dean (Democratic):
2005-2009
Def. 2004: John McCain / J.C. Watts (Republican)

43. Jeb Bush / Fred Thompson (Republican): 2009-2013
Def. 2008 Al Gore / Howard Dean (Democratic)

44. Russ Feingold / Mark Warner (Democratic): 2013-Incumbent
Def. 2012: Jeb Bush / Fred Thompson (Republican)
Def. 2016: George Allen / Mitt Romney (Republican)

*= Resigned

**= Died of a Heart Attack

I had an idea, based very, very vaguely on @shiftygiant 's thing of the same people serving at the same times.

1979-1987: Sir John Joseph, 2nd Baronet (Liberal)
1979 (Majority) def. Joseph Fraser (Unionist), Len Callaghan (Labour)
1983 (Minority) def. Andrew Bonar Law, Jr. (Unionist), Edward Brocklebank-Fowler (Labour-Primrose Tory Alliance)

1987-1990: Jack E. Powell (Liberal)
1988 (Majority) def. Andrew Bonar Law, Jr. (Unionist), Ernie Prentice (Labour), Harold Amery (Primrose Tory)
1990-1997: Charles Heseltine (Liberal)
1991 (Minority) def. Alick Buchanan-Smith (Unionist), Peter Finlayson (Labour)
1992 (Majority) def. Alick Buchanan-Smith (Unionist), Peter Finlayson (Labour)

1997-2004: Patrick Temple-Morris (Unionist)
1997 (Majority) def. Charles Heseltine (Liberal), Mary Beckett (Labour)
2002 (Majority) def. Emma Nicholson (Liberal), Mary Beckett (Labour)

2004-2010: Anthony Woodward (Unionist)
2005 (Majority) def. Andrew Ancram (Liberal), James Reid (Labour)
2010-2020: Ignatius Clegg (Liberal)
2010 (Coalition with Labour) def. Anthony Woodward (Unionist), James Brown (Labour), collective (Preservative)
2015 (Majority) def. Adrian Gove (Unionist), Frank Goldsmith (Preservative), James Brown (Labour)
I-I-I don't understand.... mumby.... mumby pls

Mumby - No More Heroes
u lyk my spurious analogue lists

No More Heroes

Kings of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

1936-1952: Edward VIII (Windsor)
1952-1953: George VI (Windsor)

Presidents of the Republic of Britain

1953-1954: Bernard Montgomery (Military)
1954-1956: Denis Healey (Military)
1956-1958: Denis Healey (National Union)

Presidents of the United British Commonwealth

1958-1962: Denis Healey (National Union)
1962-1970: Denis Healey (Common Wealth Union)
1970-1971: Jim Callaghan (Common Wealth Union)

Presidents of the Commonwealth of Britain

1971-1978: Jim Callaghan (Common Wealth Union)
1978-1981: Jim Callaghan (National Democratic)
1981-1981: George Thomas (National Democratic)
1981-2011: Alan Clark (National Democratic)
2011-2012: Alan West (Military)
2012-2013: Nigel Farage (Liberty League)
2013-2014: Peter Mandelson (Independent)
2014-2018: George Iain Duncan Smith (Independent)

I-I-I don't understand.... mumby.... mumby pls

I read a thing that said in 1906, the Liberals campaigned in Blue, the Conservatives/Unionists in Red and Labour in Orange. So the gimmick is that the same colours are in power for the same amount of time.

u lyk my spurious analogue lists

No More Heroes

Kings of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

1936-1952: Edward VIII (Windsor)
1952-1953: George VI (Windsor)

Presidents of the Republic of Britain

1953-1954: Bernard Montgomery (Military)
1954-1956: Denis Healey (Military)
1956-1958: Denis Healey (National Union)

Presidents of the United British Commonwealth

1958-1962: Denis Healey (National Union)
1962-1970: Denis Healey (Common Wealth Union)
1970-1971: Jim Callaghan (Common Wealth Union)

Presidents of the Commonwealth of Britain

1971-1978: Jim Callaghan (Common Wealth Union)
1978-1981: Jim Callaghan (National Democratic)
1981-1981: George Thomas (National Democratic)
1981-2011: Alan Clark (National Democratic)
2011-2012: Alan West (Military)
2012-2013: Nigel Farage (Liberty League)
2013-2014: Peter Mandelson (Independent)
2014-2018: George Iain Duncan Smith (Independent)
Smith is better for European stability because of his secularity.

I Won Fair and Square (No Watergate):

37. Richard Nixon / Spiro Agnew *(Republican): 1969-1973
Def. 1968: Hubert Humphrey / Edmund Muskie (Democratic)
Def. 1972: George McGovern / Sargent Shriver (Democratic)

37. Richard Nixon / Vacant (Republican): 1973-1973
Richard Nixon / John Connally (Republican): 1973-1977

Ronald Reagan / Nelson Rockefeller **(Republican): 1977-1979
Def. 1976: Ted Kennedy / Scoop Jackson (Democratic)
38. Ronald Reagan / Vacant (Republican): 1979-1979
Ronald Reagan / Howard Baker (Republican): 1979-1981

Hugh Carey / Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic): 1981-1989
Def. 1980: Ronald Reagan / Howard Baker (Republican)
Def. 1984: Howard Baker / Paul Laxalt (Republican)

40. Tom Kean / Bob Dole (Republican): 1989-1997
Def. 1988: Lloyd Bentsen / Gary Hart (Democratic)
Def. 1992: Dick Gephardt / John Glenn (Democratic)

41. Joe Biden / Al Gore (Democratic): 1997-2005
Def. 1996: Bob Dole / Dick Cheney (Republican)
Def. 2000: Pete Wilson / Jim Edgar (Republican)

42. Al Gore / Howard Dean (Democratic):
2005-2009
Def. 2004: John McCain / J.C. Watts (Republican)

43. Jeb Bush / Fred Thompson (Republican): 2009-2013
Def. 2008 Al Gore / Howard Dean (Democratic)

44. Russ Feingold / Mark Warner (Democratic): 2013-Incumbent
Def. 2012: Jeb Bush / Fred Thompson (Republican)
Def. 2016: George Allen / Mitt Romney (Republican)

*= Resigned

**= Died of a Heart Attack

So much this. Also, though I suspect the Connally/Reagan primary would be a barn-burner (given Nixon's freedom to continue dirty tricks after not getting caught last time -- and I don't just mean Watergate -- there's that great line in Jimmy Breslin's Watergate book How The Good Guys Finally Won where Tip O'Neill told Carl Albert they needed to prepare for impeachment proceedings in the 93rd Congress because Nixon had done so much different dirty stuff he was going to get caught somewhere) I like and believe the outcome. Also my homey Governor Carey lights the lamp (like the Bentsen/Hart and also the shout-out for paleolibs with Gephardt/Glenn) and Allen keeping his mouth shut. We forget how close he was to the big time before the "m" word. All and all a deeply satisfying list including one of my two all time favorite Crazy Uncles (the other being LBJ), JOE!!! gets his eight years. Sometimes a list doesn't have to be wild or have a multilayered premise, smart and to the point is also good and President Feingold goes down smooooooth.... :cool:

PachPachis - The Truth About It: Recent Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom
The Truth About It: Recent Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom

1979-1990: Margaret Thatcher (Conservative and Communist {Plebian: "Conservative and Unionist"})
1990-1997: The Torymind (Conservative and Communist) [Plebian: "John Major"]
1997-2007: Tony Blair (National Labour{Plebian: "Labour"})
2007-2010: Gordon Brown (National Labour)
2010-Present: Theresa-David Cameron May (Conservative and Communist) [Plebian: "David Cameron" 2010-2016 - supposedly in coalition with Liberal Cryptocrats {Plebian: "Liberal Democrats", "Theresa May" 2016-Present}]

A bit of explanation, I feel, is in order. This is for the timeline in my sig, which is contemporary-comedy-surrealist-conspiracy theory-punk. Communism doesn't mean what we, the uninformed proles or "Plebeians" think it means. ITTL, Karl Marx invented Communism as a cynical manipulation of human subconscious desires for equality and collectivism, etc. "Communists" share Marx's genuine hatred for bigotry and believe the people have to be lied to to keep society from collapsing. Labour is pretty much the same as OTL platform-wise, their only big secret is they never changed their name from when they were part of the WW2 coalition. For some reason, they are extremely protective of this fact. The Tories and Lib Crypts think it's compensation for not having any real secrets like other parties. The Liberal Cryptocrats secretly advocate abolishing the lizard-person monarchy and becoming a relatively "democratic cryptocracy" like the United States.
Theresa D.C. May is the same person who underwent radical shapeshifting surgery after Brexit proved polarizing and uses different parts of his/her actual name as his/her Plebeian, public name.
The Torymind, or John Major, was actually a vessel for the reconstructed consciousness of every previous Tory leader in British history, advocated by the Conservatives as the "ultimate statesman". They were dissapointed, Major obviously did not lead the UK into a glorious new age of enlightened government, and the Torymind now lives in a new vessel body quietly in Cardiff, though it gets to run the entire NHS every other Thursday, and the Secret Intelligence Service on weekends.

Last edited:
dw93 - No Stained Blue Dresses Here
No Stained Blue Dresses Here:

42. Bill Clinton / Al Gore (Democratic): 1993-2001
Def. 1992: George HW Bush / Dan Quayle (Republican), Ross Perot / James Stockdale (Independent)
Def. 1996: Bob Dole / Jack Kemp (Republican), Ross Perot / Pat Choate (Reform)

Al Gore / Bob Graham (Democratic): 2001-2005
Def. 2000: John McCain / John Engler (Republican)

George W. Bush / Bill Frist (Republican): 2005-2013
Def. 2004: Al Gore / Bob Graham (Democratic), Jesse Ventura / Jim Jeffords (Independent)
Def. 2008: Hillary Clinton / Evan Bayh (Democratic), Jesse Ventura / Ralph Nader (Independent-Green Alliance)

Barack Obama / Jack Reed (Democratic): 2013-Incumbent
Def. 2012: George Allen / Mitt Romney (Republican)
Def. 2016: Mitt Romney / Mike Pence (Republican)

The Truth About It: Recent Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom

1979-1990: Margaret Thatcher (Conservative and Communist {Plebian: "Conservative and Unionist"})
1990-1997: The Torymind (Conservative and Communist) [Plebian: "John Major"]
1997-2007: Tony Blair (National Labour{Plebian: "Labour"})
2007-2010: Gordon Brown (National Labour)
2010-Present: Theresa-David Cameron May (Conservative and Communist) [Plebian: "David Cameron" 2010-2016 - supposedly in coalition with Liberal Cryptocrats {Plebian: "Liberal Democrats", "Theresa May" 2016-Present}]

A bit of explanation, I feel, is in order. This is for the timeline in my sig, which is contemporary-comedy-surrealist-conspiracy theory-punk. Communism doesn't mean what we, the uninformed proles or "Plebeians" think it means. ITTL, Karl Marx invented Communism as a cynical manipulation of human subconscious desires for equality and collectivism, etc. "Communists" share Marx's genuine hatred for bigotry and believe the people have to be lied to to keep society from collapsing. Labour is pretty much the same as OTL platform-wise, their only big secret is they never changed their name from when they were part of the WW2 coalition. For some reason, they are extremely protective of this fact. The Tories and Lib Crypts think it's compensation for not having any real secrets like other parties. The Liberal Cryptocrats secretly advocate abolishing the lizard-person monarchy and becoming a relatively "democratic cryptocracy" like the United States.
Theresa D.C. May is the same person who underwent radical shapeshifting surgery after Brexit proved polarizing and uses different parts of his/her actual name as his/her Plebeian, public name.
The Torymind, or John Major, was actually a vessel for the reconstructed consciousness of every previous Tory leader in British history, advocated by the Conservatives as the "ultimate statesman". They were dissapointed, Major obviously did not lead the UK into a glorious new age of enlightened government, and the Torymind now lives in a new vessel body quietly in Cardiff, though it gets to run the entire NHS every other Thursday, and the Secret Intelligence Service on weekends.
i see

I read a thing that said in 1906, the Liberals campaigned in Blue, the Conservatives/Unionists in Red and Labour in Orange. So the gimmick is that the same colours are in power for the same amount of time.
It varied a lot based on where you were, I think that might have been just in London.

Uhura's Mazda - List of Parliamentary Leaders of the Co-operative Party
List of Parliamentary Leaders of the Co-operative Party
1918-1922: Alfred Waterson [1]
1922-1950: A.V. Alexander [2]
1950-1963: Fred Perry [3]
1963-1976: Dickson Mabon [4]
1976-1983: Dick Taverne [5]
1983-1992: David Owen [6]
1992-1999: Alun Michael [7]
1999-2004: Nicholas Russell, Viscount Amberley [8]
2004-2014: Charles Kennedy [9]
2014-2015: Ed Balls [10]
2015-0000: Stella Creasy [11]

[1] - Waterson was the first Co-op MP elected to Parliament, out of the ten candidates who stood for the first time in 1918. It had been expected that he would take the Labour whip in the Commons, and indeed he voted with the Party on most matters, but he felt that the Co-op movement would be better served by an independent party. He narrowly lost his Kettering seat in 1922, despite the absence of a Labour challenger, but the avalanche he had started was growing: four Co-op MPs were elected in that year.

[2] - When thinking of the Co-operative Party, most people will hark back to the decades of leadership of A.V. Alexander, under whom the Party struggled on with seat numbers in the single figures but with ever-increasing numbers of candidates. In some circles, he is remembered as the man who served as First Lord of the Admiralty during the Second World War; while in psephological circles he is remembered as the man who convinced Churchill to implement the Alternative Vote system (hence his nickname) from the 1945 election onwards. Due to this reform, it was possible for people to vote for Co-op candidates without denying a seat to the Labour Party, and the Co-operators came out of the '45 poll with 23 seats, their highest total so far. Alexander resigned as leader in 1950, taking the Party's first peerage, on the cusp of the real breakthrough.

[3] - Fred Perry had spent the inter-war period as an international tennis star, and it had been assumed that he would retire into sporty obscurity after he came out of the US Air Force. But instead, he followed his father into Parliament, succeeding him as MP for Kettering in the Co-op Party's oldest seat. Five years later, he was Party Leader, and as the result of the 1950 had resulted in a hung Parliament, he led the Co-operators into a coalition with Labour. He became Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Labour, using his influence over the next year to bring in tax breaks to co-operative enterprises. But the following year, the Tories came back in, and Perry spent the rest of his career trying vainly to increase his Party's seat count against a seemingly permanent Tory government.

[4] - In 1964, again, Co-op's 19 seats were relevant to the outcome of the vote, and Dickson Mabon's support enabled Harold Wilson to rule with a bare majority. Mabon's tenure as Leader (and Deputy Prime Minister between 1964 and 1966, and again from 1974 to 1976) is generally regarded positively, although he is frequently cursed within Labour for not only blocking most of the left-wing red meat that they proposed in those Coalitions, but also conniving with the right-wing of Labour against the Tribune Group in a way that a member of a different party should really not have been involved in. All the same, this was the most relevant the Party had been since 1951. However, there was some frustration that the Co-op Party was on the edge of a decline, while the classical-liberals and Friedmanites in the Thorpe-led Liberal Party (which was now, just as Co-op was a natural source of second-preferences for Labour, a well of cross-over appeal for the Tories) were going from strength to strength.

[5] - The decline finally hit under Dick Taverne, who had, unusually, defected from Labour to the Co-operative Party just a few years before being elected Leader. He had no background in the Co-op movement and was trying to turn it into some sort of Social Democratic party, but this rebrand (together with frustration that the coalition with Labour in the late '70s hadn't done much good at all) caused a collapse in Co-op fortunes. By 1983, the Party was down to 7 seats, the lowest total since 1931, while the Liberals got almost a third of the popular vote. Taverne resigned in disgrace.

[6] - David Owen oversaw the beginnings of recovery, reaching 14 seats in 1992, and only resigning because of frustration at the failure of the broad left to make Kinnock Prime Minister (and himself Deputy, although that had absolutely nothing to do with it). He, like Taverne, had little experience or understanding of Co-operative concepts, and it was even said that he shopped at Sainsbury's, but he was less keen than either of his predecessors to intervene in Labour internal politics, even though it must have been very tempting to attack the Militants. But Owen realised that the only way Militant could be crushed was if they were crushed from within Labour. But his qualified support for the Poll Tax squandered any credibility he had accrued (he was at one point favoured as a PM candidate) and when he retired as Leader, all the promise of this beautiful and attractive progressive had been enough for just 14 seats.

[7] - Michael, who was known to many as 'Tad', Welsh for 'Father', represented the South Welsh heartlands of the Co-op Party, and doubled the Party's seats in 1997. He was beloved in a way that no previous Co-op Leader had quite managed, but his time in charge was cut short: first by the fact that Labour had done so well in 1997 that they had no need of the Co-operators; and second by Tony Blair. Blair removed his popular rival by offering him the First Secretaryship of the new Welsh Assembly. He took this up in 1999, only retiring in 2012, when the dominant Labour Party finally got sick of kowtowing to a Party with less than a dozen seats in the Assembly.

[8] - Michael was succeeded by long-time Co-op activist, Nicholas Russell, who was the grandson of philosopher Bertrand Russell. By rights, Russell should have been the main winner from Blair's infamous invasion of Iraq, having been consistent in turning the Co-op Party into a pacifist and anti-nuclear movement more on the Left than in the Centre. Unfortunately, despite leading the Party to it's best-ever result in 2001 and doing very well in the polls after Iraq, he was challenged for the leadership in 2004 by the ambitious Gordon Brown, and despite fending off the challenge, he lined up a successor in Charlie Kennedy and resigned soon after, his leadership now being difficult to defend. But although often forgotten nowadays, Russell was the leader who really started the current phase of Co-op activity, taking a leaf from the Liberals by engaging in local Co-operative and Green solutions and putting genuine energy into campaigning for Parish Council seats and the like. This is the basis of the survival of the Co-op dream in 'The Gig Economy' of the 21st century, and it was laid by Russell.

[9] - Kennedy had been among the strongest critics of Iraq and the Blair Government in general (although he did give praise where he thought it was due when Blair took Britain into the Euro), but in 2008, with Labour's loss in the Crewe and Nantwich by-election removing their narrow majority, Kennedy and Brown were taken into the Blair Government as full coalition partners - the first time this had happened since the '70s. Regrettably, neither was really able to offer much in the way of policy initiatives due to the financial crisis. The only real success that Kennedy, Brown, Balls et al could point to in the end was the mutualisation of Lloyds TSB and RBS. Kennedy held on to most of his Party's seats in 2010, which was unusual for a junior coalition partner, but resigned due to ill health shortly before the next election, when the beloved statesman had been expected to do very well and replace the tanking Liberals as the new third party in British politics.

[10] - With Brown announcing his retirement the day after Kennedy's resignation, the stage was set for Ed Balls to take over - he beat Chris Leslie in the final round. But after a short leadership in which he was mainly known for looking a bit like Smithy off of Gavin & Stacey, he lost his seat to the Tories in the 2015 general election, and consequently resigned as Leader. However, he had been bigged up as a potential coalition partner for Ed Miliband during the campaign, which enabled the Co-operators to reach a larger audience and get a few more second preferences from centrists and metropolitan progressives - they won 24 seats, which was much less than had been hoped for under Kennedy, but a damn sight more than the Liberals got.

[11] - After nearly a century of white men, the election of Stella Creasy was a threshold for white women in Politics. She defeated Kate Osamor and Luciana Berger to the Leadership, in the first all-female leadership contest in British history. After a decent showing of 16% for Jeanette Arnold in the London Mayoral election of 2016, the polls have gone from strength to strength (although this is in tandem with an equal resurgence for the Liberal Party, both sitting on around 6%) although Creasy is frequently attacked for 'smugness', and it is no secret that the Co-operators feel that they ought to be doing much better than they are, considering that Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, is about as popular as 'Utgard96' (the Swedish-invented weapon which disseminates the HIV virus over a city-wide area and convinced the Norwegians to just close down the entire Nobel Institute because humanity is clearly beyond saving). But with Brexit, perhaps the era of communal sharing and working for the good of all in the community is simply over - certainly, the rise of the inexorable teal tide of UKIP since 2013 has taken the wind out of the sails, not only of the Co-op Party, but of liberal democracy itself.

Mumby - MIDCENTURY CYBERPUNK
MIDCENTURY CYBERPUNK

1937-1940: Neville Chamberlain (Conservative leading National Government with Liberal Nationals and National Labour)
1940-1940: Clement Attlee (Labour)

1940 (Majority) def. Neville Chamberlain (Conservative), Archibald Sinclair (Liberal), John Simon (Liberal National)
1940-1940: Herbert Morrison (Labour majority)
1940-1944: Herbert Morrison (Labour leading National Government with Conservatives, Liberal Nationals, Liberals and National Labour)
1944-1955: Herbert Morrison (Labour)

1944 (Majority) def. Anthony Eden (Conservative), Richard Acland (Common Wealth), Ernest Brown (Liberal National), Archibald Sinclair (Liberal)
1948 (Majority) def. Anthony Eden (Conservative), Ernest Brown (Liberal), Richard Acland (Common Wealth)
1950 (Majority) def. Ralph Assheton (Conservative), John Loverseed (Common Wealth), John Maclay (Liberal)

1955-1965: Richard Kidston Law (Conservative)
1955 (Majority) def. Herbert Morrison (Labour), John Loverseed (Common Wealth), John Maclay (Liberal), Aneurin Bevan (Anti-Morrison Labour)
1959 (New Model Government with Liberals and New Model Common Wealth) def. Hugh Gaitskell (Labour),
Aneurin Bevan (Independent Labour / Common Wealth --- Socialist League), James Henderson-Stewart (Liberal), Harold Macmillan (Independent Conservative), E.F. Schumacher (New Model Common Wealth)
1963 (New Model Government with Liberals and National Monopoly Delegates) def. vacant (Labour), Colin Thornton-Kemsley (Liberal), Jennie Lee (Independent Labour), [Delegates from the National Monopolies]
1965-1975: Richard Kidston Law (New Model Unionist)
1965 (New Model List) def. unopposed
1970 (New Model List) def. unopposed

WW2 doesn't break out on cue and Labour win the 1940 general election, as it still appears think are about to go belly up and the National Government takes the blame. Morrison pulls his schtick and narrowly defeats Attlee in the ensuing leadership election. He goes on to lead Britain into war, which is slightly shorter thanks to greater preparedness in Western Europe and America. After the war, Morrison attempts to implement the welfare state but his prescriptions of nationalised industry which doesn't mandate internal reform and remains managerial combined with localised welfare doesn't go down very well. The wheels finally come off after his disastrous attempt to invade Egypt and restore the baby King of Egypt to the throne.

Richard Kidston Law becomes Prime Minister, at first leading a simple Conservative majority government. He privatises many of the industries nationalised by Morrison but doesn't break them up, they remain as private monopolies. He also removes national support for localised welfare. This does not go down well on the left of the party. However, his concessions to introduce a worker element in the newly privatised industries leads to a split in the hitherto united Common Wealth, and while he loses his majority in 1959, the enduring split in Labour helps him and he forms the first New Model Government with the Liberals and the amenable group of Common Wealth who look kindly on his move away from Morrisonite managerialism. By 1963, he had completed his privatisations, and introduced a corporatist element by adding a Crossbench to the Commons with the arrival of National Monopoly Delegates. Common Wealth had entirely dissolved, uniting behind Independent Labour, while the Independent Conservatives were reduced to Harold Macmillan alone. A secure majority in place with the National Monopolies, Law privatised the remaining elements of government 'responsibilities' and removed the vestiges of 'utopian democracy' to create the New Model State.

MIDCENTURY CYBERPUNK

1937-1940: Neville Chamberlain (Conservative leading National Government with Liberal Nationals and National Labour)
1940-1940: Clement Attlee (Labour)

1940 (Majority) def. Neville Chamberlain (Conservative), Archibald Sinclair (Liberal), John Simon (Liberal National)
1940-1940: Herbert Morrison (Labour majority)
1940-1944: Herbert Morrison (Labour leading National Government with Conservatives, Liberal Nationals, Liberals and National Labour)
1944-1955: Herbert Morrison (Labour)

1944 (Majority) def. Anthony Eden (Conservative), Richard Acland (Common Wealth), Ernest Brown (Liberal National), Archibald Sinclair (Liberal)
1948 (Majority) def. Anthony Eden (Conservative), Ernest Brown (Liberal), Richard Acland (Common Wealth)
1950 (Majority) def. Ralph Assheton (Conservative), John Loverseed (Common Wealth), John Maclay (Liberal)

1955-1965: Richard Kidston Law (Conservative)
1955 (Majority) def. Herbert Morrison (Labour), John Loverseed (Common Wealth), John Maclay (Liberal), Aneurin Bevan (Anti-Morrison Labour)
1959 (New Model Government with Liberals and New Model Common Wealth) def. Hugh Gaitskell (Labour),
Aneurin Bevan (Independent Labour / Common Wealth --- Socialist League), James Henderson-Stewart (Liberal), Harold Macmillan (Independent Conservative), E.F. Schumacher (New Model Common Wealth)
1963 (New Model Government with Liberals and National Monopoly Delegates) def. vacant (Labour), Colin Thornton-Kemsley (Liberal), Jennie Lee (Independent Labour), [Delegates from the National Monopolies]
1965-1975: Richard Kidston Law (New Model Unionist)
1965 (New Model List) def. unopposed
1970 (New Model List) def. unopposed

WW2 doesn't break out on cue and Labour win the 1940 general election, as it still appears think are about to go belly up and the National Government takes the blame. Morrison pulls his schtick and narrowly defeats Attlee in the ensuing leadership election. He goes on to lead Britain into war, which is slightly shorter thanks to greater preparedness in Western Europe and America. After the war, Morrison attempts to implement the welfare state but his prescriptions of nationalised industry which doesn't mandate internal reform and remains managerial combined with localised welfare doesn't go down very well. The wheels finally come off after his disastrous attempt to invade Egypt and restore the baby King of Egypt to the throne.

Richard Kidston Law becomes Prime Minister, at first leading a simple Conservative majority government. He privatises many of the industries nationalised by Morrison but doesn't break them up, they remain as private monopolies. He also removes national support for localised welfare. This does not go down well on the left of the party. However, his concessions to introduce a worker element in the newly privatised industries leads to a split in the hitherto united Common Wealth, and while he loses his majority in 1959, the enduring split in Labour helps him and he forms the first New Model Government with the Liberals and the amenable group of Common Wealth who look kindly on his move away from Morrisonite managerialism. By 1963, he had completed his privatisations, and introduced a corporatist element by adding a Crossbench to the Commons with the arrival of National Monopoly Delegates. Common Wealth had entirely dissolved, uniting behind Independent Labour, while the Independent Conservatives were reduced to Harold Macmillan alone. A secure majority in place with the National Monopolies, Law privatised the remaining elements of government 'responsibilities' and removed the vestiges of 'utopian democracy' to create the New Model State.
NEW MODEL ANYTHING IN THE 20TH CENTURY IS MY FAVOURITE

Bob you are adorable

Status
Not open for further replies.