List of Alternate Presidents and PMs II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, it's difficult to think of an analogue for Nixon - I chose Macleod as he seemed more of a political animal and effective operator than than Maudling who seemed more laid back and philosophical (although of course a huge brain).

That's a good shout on Chataway, will edit.

Deleted member 81475

Every man has a wild beast within him. (WIP)

16. 1861 - 1865: Abraham Lincoln (Rep-IL)

1. 1861 - 1865: Hannibal Hamlin (Rep-ME)
  2. 1865 - 1865: Benjamin F. Butler (Rep-MA)
17. 1865 - 1873: Benjamin F. Butler (Rep-MA)
  1. 1869 - 1873: Oliver P. Morton (Rep-IN)
18. 1873 - 1881: Ulysses S. Grant (Lib-IL)
  1. 1873 - 1877: Samuel J. Tilden (Lib-NY)
  2. 1877 - 1881: S. Grover Cleveland (Lib-NY)
19. 1881 - 1889: "Thee" Roosevelt (Rep-NY)
  1. 1881 - 1889: William H. West (Rep-OH)
20. 1889 - 1895: Ben. H. Bristow (Rep-NY)
  1. 1889 - 1893: Ezra B. Taylor (Rep-OH)
  2. 1893 - 1895: "Tad" Lincoln III (Rep-IL)
21. 1895 - 1905: "Tad" Lincoln III (Rep-IL)
  1. 1897 - 1905: Adelbert Ames (Rep-PI)

[17] President Butler is nothing if not controversial. To some he is adored, a champion of the downtrodden and common man. To others the name "Beast Butler" is still followed with a glob of spit. Interestingly enough, Butler himself had once been a stalwart Democrat, even supporting Jefferson Davis for the Democratic nomination. Perhaps his views had truly changed over the course of the war or perhaps he was simply a man who favored the winning side. Either way, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln had ended whatever hopes the rebs had of a reconciliation. There would a reconstruction and by god it would be a successful one. The radicals took control of Congress. Property was seized and redistributed. The Constitution was amended. Some rebs accepted their fate and went into exile while others lingered, engaging in lynchings and guerrilla warfare - all of which only strengthened Butler's crusade against them and support by the northern public. Unfortunately for his administration, there was an unmistakable stench of corruption around Butler and all his programs. With congress as it was there was never a true risk of impeachment, but many Republicans were unwilling to tolerate such brazen misconduct. They allied themselves with the renaming northern Democrats and found the man who could beat the radicals.

[18] Ulysses S. Grant is regarded very highly by historians, often finding his way into the top ten in rankings of presidents. Everybody loves a hero and it was surprising to none but the most ardent radicals that Grant was able to defeat Butler's handpicked successor. His running mate, chair of the New York Democratic Party, was a protege of sorts of Martin Van Buren and represented the Democratic half of the anti-Butler alliance. If any had hoped Grant would govern as a Doughface, however, they would be disappointed. The president was a supporter of civil rights, of reconstruction (albeit a cleaner one), and many Republican policies. The heart of his platform was integrity and honest, capable government. Surrounded as he was by men of strong morals, on this he would deliver. Ulysses got along quite well with Vice President Tilden, dropping him from the ticket only to give him a more glorious spot in the cabinet which might strengthen him for a bid in 1880. Tilden's replacement, Attorney General Cleveland, was a young but upright chap if largely obscure to all but the most excitable historians. Unfortunately for Tilden the electoral map still favored the Republicans and some voters were less willing to support a Liberal when it wasn't the beloved war hero many had begun comparing to George Washington. The race was close - uncomfortably close - and Tilden rode Grant's popularity to a majority of the popular vote. None of which mattered in the slightest as the Republican strongholds in the north and south delivered their candidate the presidency.

[19] "Great Heart" Roosevelt came to the presidency under a cloud of suspicion and anger. Many regarded him as illegitimate - a remnant of the Butler machine which had prioritized civil rights and social reformation over virtuous and fair democracy. A lesser man no doubt would have fumbled the situation and allowed the Liberals to retake the presidency in 1884 (even if Tilden was too ill to seriously consider a rematch). Roosevelt was no such man. The charitable and hardworking governor of New York was everything Butler had no been (including presidential in appearance) and worked quickly to build up his own 'presidential myth.' He was the right type of Republican - a Lincoln Republican - dedicated to honest reform and the betterment of society as well as rebuilding the nation that was still healing. That his wife was of southern origins helped with this, though it cannot be said that once happy marriage endured the rigors of the national spotlight. Roosevelt made himself popular through his charity, courage, strength, and gentleness. That he followed through on many of Grant's reforms only added to his appeal and allowed the Republican Party to regain its dominance at all levels of government. With the economy strong it was unsurprising that Roosevelt was reelected nor that his successor was well put to win in 1888. Unfortunately the rigors of the presidency took their toll on Great Heart's health. In the man's final years in office many said he looked like a ghost of the man he had once been, and he survived his administration by only a few months.

[20] Secretary Bristow was a good man, just like his predecessor. Perhaps too good a man to make a good president. Committed to integrity and racial equality at all costs, he quickly made enemies in congress. The answer to this was gridlock, and while Bristow made personal appeals to the voters he lacked his predecessors' popularity and verbosity. It made for an unremarkable four years, something the American people had grown somewhat unaccustomed to (though some found they appreciated it very much) largely dominated by the President's war against the Golden Circle. That Bristow won his narrow reelection can be attributed to two factors. The first is the simple strength of the Republican coalition. The black vote secured them dominance in the southern states even when the north swung toward the opposition. The second was the murder of Robert Todd Lincoln by "Knights" of the Golden Circle (the hooded hate group which had emerged from the lingering southern guerrillas). The assassination of the martyred president's eldest brought the nation to outrage. It was an outrage the Republicans capitalized on, nominating the youthful Representative Tad Lincoln as Bristow's running mate. Few Liberals could have won that race and Vice President Taylor was compensated with a cabinet office. Unfortunately for Bristow the second term he had won would not be an easy one. The Panic of 1894 left many destitute, scared, and with a serious case of buyer's remorse as they thought to the Liberals and their claims of booming business. One of these men blamed Benjamin Bristow personally and decided to take matters into his own hands. A bullet to the gut ended the grey-haired president's life and elevated a second Lincoln to the White House.

[21] Thirty years after Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, his last surviving son became President of the United States thanks to the an assassin's bullet. Tad Lincoln was young and energetic (some said wild), hot-tempered and passionate, and the most left-wing president since Benjamin Butler. Or ever. Those ideals Butler may have adopted out of political convenience were ones which Lincoln believed with a conviction that could burn down empires - something he would soon have a chance to do. The war with Spain helped the economy recover just as the Lincoln name helped the Republican Party recover from what had seemed like a certain loss. The impulsive president made many enemies, at home and abroad. His rivals called him a frog and the Republicans responded by taking that slippery creature as their mascot. Those who faced him found him a dangerous foe; the Spanish lost a sizable chunk of their colonial holdings and Lincoln personally attended the hangings of the last leaders of the Golden Circle. Then came 1900. The president was undoubtedly popular and - as his supporters whispered to him - had only served one elected term of his own. The Republicans had held power now for two decades, and there were fears of a Liberal victory simply due to voters wanting something new. Lincoln listened to these men and announced his plan to seek reelection. Immediate outrage followed as his detractors boiled frogs and chanted "Washington Wouldn't, Lincoln Shouldn't!" It was no good. Lincoln's term had been too successful, the Lincoln name was still too magical, the Republican machine was too strong everywhere that it counted, and the man's promise to not seek reelection in 1904 calmed many who feared a dictatorship. Lincoln won and shortly thereafter became the longest serving president to date.

Now the election of 1904 approaches. The natural party of government has held the executive now for twenty-four years (though Congress has changed hands a number of times). Some speak of Jefferson's party of the same name and its own era of good feelings and one-party rule. Perhaps that means this election will be the followup to one 80 years prior. The thought unnerves many even as candidates prepare to contest the nomination.

Inspired by the above, an interpretation:

1953 - 1961: Harold Macmillan / Iain Macleod (Conservative)

1952: Hugh Gaitskell / Ray Gunter (Labour)
1956: Hugh Gaitskell / Jim Griffiths (Labour)

1961 - 1963: John Freeman / George Brown (Labour)
1960: Iain Macleod / Alec Douglas-Home (Conservative)
1963 - 1968: George Brown / Jim Callaghan (Labour)
1964: Enoch Powell / Peter Thorneycroft (Conservative)
1968 - 1973: Iain Macleod / Quintin Hogg (Conservative)
1968: Jim Callaghan / Denis Healey (Labour)
1972: Michael Foot / Ted Short (Labour)

1973 - 1974: Iain Macleod / William Whitelaw (Conservative)
1974 - 1977: William Whitelaw / Reginald Maulding (Conservative)

1977 - 1981: Stan Orme / Roy Hattersley (Labour)
1976: William Whitelaw / Patrick Jenkin (Conservative)
1981 - 1989: Margaret Thatcher / Douglas Hurd (Conservative)
1980: Stan Orme / Roy Hattersley (Labour)
1984: Roy Hattersley / Gwyneth Dunwoody (Labour)

1989 - 1993: Douglas Hurd / Iain Duncan Smith (Conservative)
1988: Donald Dewar / Joel Barnett (Labour)
1993 - 2001: Tony Blair / Gordon Brown (Labour)
1992: Douglas Hurd / Iain Duncan Smith (Conservative)
1996: Patrick Jenkin / Christopher Chataway (Conservative)

2001 - 2009: David Davis / Francis Maude (Conservative)
2000: Gordon Brown / Stephen Byers (Labour)
2004: Paddy Ashdown / David Miliband (Labour)

2009 - 2017: Sharon White / Alan Johnson (Labour)
2008: Ken Clarke / Louise Bagshawe (Conservative)
2012: Mark Field / Dominic Raab (Conservative)

2017 -: Nigel Farage / Owen Paterson (Conservative)
2016: Cherie Blair / Vernon Coaker (Labour)
I actually think that 1960s Tony Benn (who of course had yet to take his leftward turn) would be a very good JFK anaolgoue. Both second sons from a powerful political dynasty, both had an elder brother who was killed whilst serving as pilot in WW2, leaving them to take on their family's political aspirations, and both were strong public speakers who understood how to come across well on TV from an early stage of that medium.

Nothing To Fear...

FDR keeps his health in check, allowing him to survive until the early 1950s. One small consequence is that Henry Wallace manages to retain his position as FDR's vice president

32(third term): Franklin D Roosevelt/Henry Wallace(1941-1945)
-Election of 1944: Franklin D Roosevelt/Henry Wallace(Democrat) vs Thomas Dewey/John W Bricker(Republican)
32(fourth term): Franklin D Roosevelt/Henry Wallace(1945-1949)[1]
-Election of 1948: Cordell Hull/Richard Russell Jr(Democrat) vs Harold Stassen/Earl Warren(Republican) vs Henry A Wallace/Glen H Taylor(Progressive)
33(first term): Harold Stassen/Earl Warren(1949-1953)[2]
-Election of 1952: Harold Stassen/Earl Warren(Republican) vs Estes Kefauver/Hubert Humphrey(Democrat)
34(first term): Estes Kefauver/Hubert Humphrey(1953-1957)
-Election of 1956: Estes Kefuaver/Hubert Humphrey(Democrat) vs Douglas MacArthur/Charles Phelps Taft II(Republican)
35(first term): Douglas MacArthur*/Charles Phelps Taft II(January 20 1957-March 3 1960)[3]
36(first term): Charles Phelps Taft II(March 3 1960-January 20 1961)
-Election of 1960: Harold Stassen/Cecil H Underwood(Republican) vs Lyndon B Johnson/Wayne Morse(Democrat)
37(second term): Harold Stassen/Cecil H Underwood(1961-1965)[4]
-Election of 1964: Hubert Humphrey/Robert F Kennedy(Democrat) vs William Scranton/Hiram Fong(Republican)
38(first term): Hubert Humphrey/Robert F Kennedy(1965-1969)[5]
-Election of 1968: Hubert Humphrey/Ronald Reagan(Democrat) vs Nelson Rockefeller/John Tower(Republican)
38(second term): Hubert Humphrey/Ronald Reagan(1969-1973)[6]

* Died, ** Assassinated, *** Resigned/removed
[1] The 22nd amendment is passed anyway. While FDR has the same grandfather clause as Truman, he is tired and wants to retire after this term
[2] Stassen was somewhat of a darkhorse, emerging over the heavier competition between Thomas Dewey and Bob Taft. Wallace was a more successful third party this time around. He is both the first Minnesota president and(at least for now) the youngest president at 40. That youth would to an extent be his downfall
[3] MacArthur makes a successful dash to the presidency, better at it because the firing Truman did to him didn't happen. He chooses a good name, the younger brother of the now deceased Robert Taft, as running mate. However the stress of the presidency took out the 80 year old general earlier. The younger Taft wasn't able to get himself renominated
[4] Stassen felt he could make up for his past inexperience. In this timeline, Johnson manages to get more dirt on John Kennedy, namely expose his health issues. Stassen is the first president in this timeline who become ineligible due to term limits, and the second to have non-consecutive terms
[5] The vice presidency of Robert Kennedy was more of an experimental one, to test the waters for a future go at the presidency now that his older brother was considered ineligible due to poor health.
[6] Reagan remains a Democrat in this timeline, and has more success in his acting career. It makes him a pretty face, though unlike IOTL he doesn't have much hope at being president.

Abridged list
  • 32: Franklin D Roosevelt(1933-1949)/John Nance Garner(1933-1941), Henry Wallace(1941-1949)
  • 33/37: Harold Stassen(1949-1953, 1961-1965)/Earl Warren(1949-1953), Cecil H Underwood(1961-1965)
  • 34: Estes Kefauver/Hubert Humphrey(1953-1957)
  • 35: Douglas MacArthur*/Charles Phelps Taft II(1957-1960)
  • 36: Charles Phelps Taft II(1960-1961)
  • 38: Hubert Humphrey(1965-1973)/Robert F Kennedy(1965-1969), Ronald Reagan(1969-1973)

Unfortunately, this will probably be my last list on this thread. Im just burnt out on ideas. So, I have decided to wrap up my time on this thread (which is where I started off, see page 287) with a big one. I will be revising my first post, one final time. The post in question is about John Edwards, and him being elected president in 2004.

Poor John Edwards

44. John Edwards / Dick Gephardt (Democratic) 2005-2009

Def. 2004: George W. Bush / Dick Cheney (Republican)
45. John McCain / Mitt Romney (Republican) 2009-2013
Def. 2008: John Edwards / Dick Gephardt
46. Barack Obama / Hillary Clinton (Democratic) 2013-2021
Def. 2012: John McCain / Mitt Romney (Republican)
Def. 2016: Mitt Romney / Marco Rubio (Republican)

47. Donald Trump / Ron DeSantis (Republican) 2021-2025
Def. 2020: Hillary Clinton / Julian Castro
48. Elizabeth Warren / Tulsi Gabbard (Democratic) 2025-2029
Def. 2024: Donald Trump / Ron DeSantis (Republican)
49. Ron DeSantis / Mike Lee (Republican) 2029-2033
Def. 2028: Tulsi Gabbard / Beto O'Rourke (Democratic)

Now, with that out of the way, I would like to give a wish of good luck for this thread, and I will be making sure to check in on everyone else's posts. Goodbye for now.

Last edited:
40. Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/Fmr. Director George Bush (R-TX) 1981-1987
Def. 1980: Pres. Jimmy Carter (D-GA)/Vice Pres. Walter Mondale (D-MN)
Def. 1984: Fmr. Vice Pres. Walter Mondale (D-MN)/Rep. Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY)
41. Vice Pres. George Bush (R-TX)/Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-WY) 1987-1989
42. Fmr. Sen. Gary Hart (D-CO)/Gov. Jim Blanchard (D-MI) 1989-1997

Def. 1988: Pres. George Bush (R-TX)/Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
Def. 1992: Rep. Bob Dornan (R-CA)/Gov. Carroll Campbell (R-SC); Sen. Bill Bradley (I-NJ)/Rep. Ron Dellums (I-CA)
43. Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI)/Sen. H. John Heinz III (R-PA) 1997-2005
Def. 1996: Vice Pres. Jim Blanchard (D-MI)/Sen. Elizabeth Holtzman (D-NY)
Def. 2000: Sen. John Kerry (D-MA)/Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN)
44. Gov. Dave McCurdy (D-OK)/Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) 2005-2013
Def. 2004: Vice Pres. H. John Heinz III (R-PA)/Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR)
Def. 2008: Gov. Dirk Kempthorne (R-ID)/Fmr. National Sec. Advisor Tom Clancy (R-VA)
45. Sen. Lynn Swann (R-PA)/Sen. Dan Patrick (R-TX) 2013-2017

Def. 2012: Vice Pres. Ron Wyden (D-OR)/Sen. Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL)
46. Sen. Pete Navarro (D-CA)/Former Attorney General Barack Obama (D-IL) 2017-present
Def. 2016: Pres. Lynn Swann (R-PA)/Vice Pres. Dan Patrick (R-TX)

Chapman

Donor
Arrest the President

2009-2017: Barack Obama (D-IL)/Joe Biden (D-DE)
Def. 2008 John McCain (R-AZ)/Sarah Palin (R-AK)
Def. 2012 Mitt Romney (R-MA)/Paul Ryan (R-WI)

2017-2021: Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Mike Pence (R-IN)
Def. 2016 Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Tim Kaine (D-VA)
2021-20??: O'Shea Jackson Sr. (D-CA)/Richard Ojeda (D-WV)
Def. 2020 Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Mike Pence (R-IN), Mike Bloomberg (Independent-NY)/John Hickenlooper (Independent-CO)

Give Me Liberty
Al Gore/Joe Lieberman 2001 (Killed in terrorist attack)

2000: Def. George W. Bush/Dick Cheney
Joe Lieberman/vacant 2001-2005
Joe Lieberman/John Edwards 2005-2009

2004: Def. Rudy Giuliani/Mike Huckabee, Paul Wellstone/David Cob
Ron Paul/Chuck Hagel 2009-2017
2008: Def. John Edwards/Bill Richardson, Ralph Nader/Peter Camejo
2012: Def. Hillary Clinton/Evan Bayh, Bernie Sanders/Dennis Kucinich, Lindsey Graham/John Bolton
Jon Huntsman/Justin Amash 2017-2021
2016: Def. Barack Obama/Andrew Cuomo
Kirstin Gillibrand/Beto O'Rourke 2021-2029

2020: Def. Jon Huntsman/Justin Amash
2024: Def. Richard Tisei/Thomas Massie, Tulsi Gabbard/John Eder
John James/Mike Lee 2029-
2028: Def. Beto O'Rourke/Eric Swalwell, Tulsi Gabbard/Richard Ojeda

Forgive me, I'm just a Yank, but here's something along the lines of recent posts. Part 2 will be coming later.

Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom, 1970 to present:

Reginald Maudling, 1970-1974

"To leave office before my work is complete is utterly abhorrent to my instincts, and I believe in the long run, the people of Britain will come to see that my actions in this office were on a whole justified. Yet I recognize now that in this moment I have lost the political support of my colleagues in Parliament, and thus, it is with reluctance but with resignation that I say it would not be appropriate for me to hold this office while these investigations are being pursued..." -- televised speech announcing his resignation, 1974

Reginald Maudling entered Downing Street after the Tory victories in the 1970 General Election, five years after he narrowly defeated his closest competitor, Ted Heath, to lead the Conservatives. He was considered a man of great intelligence and ability but also of dubious ethics. A highly controversial figure, Maudling (a favorite target of political satirists) increased military involvement in Northern Ireland, which led to more civilian deaths and widespread protesting and even domestic terrorism. He was nevertheless praised by many for the more diplomatic aspects of his foreign and Commonwealth policy, ably guiding many former imperial possessions to independence, and bringing the UK into the European Community and the Common Market. The latter was considered his greatest triumph, and Maudling consented to a Labour-requested referendum on EC membership that the "Yes" option won in a landslide, with Maudling and the Tories making the "No" forces, led by Labour's Tony Benn, look like a group of misguided radicals.

It seemed after the 1972 referendum that Maudling, despite the controversies, had managed to become a very effective Prime Minister. But soon afterwards Maudling become caught up in a debilitating scandal that threatened his base of support in Parliament -- his business dealings with corrupt architect John Poulson, and his penchant for accepting gifts from foreign nationals. The scandal eventually consumed Maudling's premiership and severely threatened the Tories' once promising hopes for another election. In 1974, after many investigations, hearings, rumors, and damaging press reports, Maudling resigned as Prime Minister. Once considered a potentially great PM, he is mostly remembered these days as a scandalous and tragic figure, though a series of interviews with American talk show host Dick Cavett, shortly before Maudling's death in 1979, played a role in a minor rehabilitation of his image.

Willie Whitelaw, 1974-1977

"There is no decline in the British Empire, and there never will be during a Whitelaw ministry..." -- Whitelaw, Prime Minister's Questions, 1977.

Widely regarded as a "caretaker" PM, William "Willie" Whitelaw had previously served as Conservative Chief Whip, Leader of the House of Commons, and Chairman of the Conservative Party. He was a broadly popular "consensus" figure in the party, and things seemed to be smooth sailing in Downing Street -- briefly. But an ill-advised decision to allow Maudling's Prime Minister's Resignation Honours (which included some businessmen connected to his scandals) to go unimpeded and uninvestigated hampered Whitelaw's popularity. Most of his time in office was spent dealing with economic problems like stagflation and trade union strikes.

Attempting to balance the various factions of the Conservative Party was a challenge, and in 1976 he received a party leadership challenge, not from expected challengers like Margaret Thatcher or Ted Heath, but from former movie star Christopher Lee, by then an MP who had left acting for politics during "Reginald's Revolution" of 1970. What had once seemed farcical -- Private Eye had a field day, calling it "Dracula Meets the Living Dead" -- stunned observers as Whitelaw came only a few votes of losing to Lee.

In 1977, Whitelaw finally answered longstanding calls by Labour to call a general election, which ended with the Conservatives losing their majority and Whitelaw being turned out of No. 10.

Roy Jenkins, 1977-1981

"There is in Britain a great body of moderate, rather uncommitted opinion, and that unless substantial sections of such opinion can feel happy in supporting one or other of the major parties the result will be an intolerable strain upon the traditional pattern of politics. This stalemate, this . . . malaise . . . will not be broken unless and until we can move over to the Labour Party a sizable part of this potentially progressive, but non-extreme opinion." -- Jenkins's speech to the Labour Party Conference, 1979

Labour returned to power after the 1977 General Election with high expectations. Their newest leader, Roy Jenkins, was an avowed moderate who appealed to much of the electorate, and his Welsh upbringing was seen as possibly solidifying Labour's hold in that area. Nevertheless, the late 1970s and early 1980s were a tumultuous time for Britain, and Jenkins at times seemed ill-equipped to handle it. His managing of the trade unions in the "Winter of Discontent" was widely seen as a botch, with many believing that Labour lacked the manliness required to handle unruly unions.

A number of attempted laws were scuttled by disputes between the party's left and right wings, and his history of liberalizing reforms such as the decriminalisation of homosexuality as Home Secretary in the '60s, were at often used against him by the Tory-backed press, with some accusing him of having "too much lust in his heart."
The 1981 election was a foregone conclusion, and a Conservative landslide, but Jenkins spent the remaining years of his life after politics reviving his reputation by writing acclaimed books, chairing independent commissions, and doing work in Europe as President of the European Community. Nevertheless, his fall was widely regarded as being the final act of Old Labour, and the death of a system of corporatism, Keynesian spending programmes, subsidised welfare, and trade union power.

Christopher Lee, 1981-1989

"The time has come to put aside all the blood and the horrors. Mr. Gorbachev, no more graves!"

A washed-up horror movie star as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? The comedians laughed. The Old Boys Network scoffed. The people loved it. Christopher Lee came to power during the 1981 General Election, four years after succeeding departing Leader Whitelaw despite being only a backbencher. His sonorous voice and celebrity made him a favorite of the grassroots, and he had supporters across the country he gained through frequent paid speaking engagements.

A failed IRA car bombing in 1981 gave Britons a scare, but Lee came back with a vengeance, pursuing a punitive, hands-on strategy in Northern Ireland, an aggressive policy in the Falklands, a hardline towards the Communists, and a hostile attitude towards the miners' unions. He blew up the postwar consensus, embracing Monetarism and free markets. His ability to deliver a speech was (as accepted) fantastic, and his frequent meetings with American President Phyllis Schlafly stiffened the transatlantic alliance. A sweeping victory in the 1984 General Election (over Labour and their leader Jim Callaghan) gave him an even larger majority, and the apparent feeling that he could do no wrong.

The so-called IRA-Conlon Crisis, where Lee's government secretly traded arms to reach the Irish Republican Army in exchange for information on the escaped political prisoner Gerry Conlon (later revealed to be completely innocent), shocked the world in 1986 and '87, but seemed to have little lasting effect on Lee's popularity and he won yet another election in 1988, though he decided to quietly retire the following year. He is still celebrated by most Tories as the ideal Conservative leader.

Throw The Dog A Bone

Post-Civil War, if I were to give the highest candidate who got <1% of the vote the win. Just for fun and not to be taken seriously. If their party got the highest to the third parties in the next election/there isn't one with <1% of the vote, they win. No changes to VP unless they die. 22nd amendment isn't in effect

19: Charles O'Conner/John Quincy Adams II(1873-1877, Straight-Out Democrat)
20: Peter Cooper*/Samuel Fenton Cary(1877-1883, Greenback)
21: Samuel Fenton Cary(1883-1893, Greenback)/Absolom M West(1885-1893, Anti-Monopoly)
22: Simon Wing/Charles Matchett(1893-1897, Socialist Labor)
23: John M Palmer*/Simon Bolivar Buckner(1897-1900, National Democrat)
24: Simon Bolivar Buckner(1900-1901, National Democrat)
25: Eugene V Debs/Job Harriman(1901-1905, Socialist Democrat)
26: Thomas E Watson/Thomas Tibbles(1905-1909, Populist)
27: Thomas L Hisgen/John Temple Graves(1909-1913, Independence)
28: Arthur E Reimer/August Gillhaus(1913-1921, Socialist Labor)
29: Parley P Christensen/Max S Hayes(1921-1925, Farmer-Labor)
30: Herman P Faris(1925-1929, Prohibition/Marie C Brehm*(1925, Prohibition)
31: Norman Thomas(1929-1953, Socialist)/James H Maurer*(1929-1944, Socialist), Darlington Hoopes(1944-1953, Socialist)
32: Vincent Hallinan/Charlotta Bass(1953-1957, Progressive)
33: T.Coleman Andrews/Thomas Werdel(1957-1961, Dixiecrat)
34: Eric Hass/Georgia Cozzini(1961-1973, Socialist Labor)
35: Benjamin Spock/Julius Hobson(1973-1977, People's Party)
36: Eugene McCarthy/TBA(1977-1985, Independent)
37: David Bergland/James A Lewis(1985-1997, Libertarian)
38/40: Ralph Nader(1997-2005, 2009-2013, Green/Independent)/Winona LaDuke(1997-2005, Green), Matt Gonzalez(2009-2013, Independent)
39: Michael Badnarik/Richard Campagna(2005-2009, Libertarian)
41: Gary Johnson/James P Gray(2013-present, Libertarian)

UK Prime Ministers, continued

Douglas Hurd, 1989-1993

"I want to make something perfectly clear. Perfectly clear. Despite the desires of the Labourites, in my government, there will be no new taxes." -- Prime Minister's Questions, 1989

Lee's handpicked successor was Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd, scion of a prominent and aristocratic Tory family. A former diplomat, Hurd was regarded as a natural at foreign policy, and played an essential role in the successful building of an international coalition during the Libyan War.

On the home front, though, things were not so successful. As the economy stumbled in the early '90s, Hurd was seen as aloof, patrician, and out-of-touch. And there were deep fissures in his party, resulting from both Hurd's reneging on his "no new taxes" promise and the party's deeply divided sympathies on the EU.

Though his poll numbers were poor, he dissolved Parliament in 1993, leading to an enormous General Election defeat. The Conservatives managed to lose ground not only to Labour, but also to billionaire James Goldsmith's one-issue Referendum Party.

Robin Cook, 1993-2001
"I did not sack any of my aides because of illicit reasons. Miss Regan is not, nor has ever been, my mistress. I did not have sexual relations with Miss Regan, or any other member of my staff." -- interview with Cook, 1998​
The first Labour PM in 12 years, Robin Cook came to office with high expectations. Part of the branding of Labour to "New Labour," he captured the electorate with a more "modern" sense of centre-left politics, affected very much by the shifting to the right of the Lee-Hurd years. Cook promised a more centrist Labour that didn't bow to the unions, that would follow mildly Christopherian economic models. His initial attempt to improve the NHS with a combination of free market and government reforms backfired spectacularly, and after calling an unexpectedly early election, Cook faced an enormous reversal of fortune as Conservatives came back with a larger share of seats, though not a majority. Only an alliance with the Lib Dems and a handful of renegade Tories who sat out the vote kept him in office.​
After this, Cook tried to thread the needle between left and right even closer, and worked with the Conservatives on a number of bills. His poll numbers shot up dramatically, and he looked to be favored to win reelection until a sex scandal involved Cook and a member of his staff, Gaynor Regan, threatened to blow up his premiership. But the Tories overshot with their attacks on Cook, and ended up looking petty and hypocritical as information about Conservative "sleaze" also came out. In 1998, the Liberal Democrats withdrew confidence and supply from the Cook government, and a General Election was held, which Labour ended up winning.​
Cook, bruised and battered but surviving, finished another few years in office before deciding to both resign and dissolve Parliament, being convinced by his communications director Alastair Campbell that the British public would soon tire of Labour and that his presence as PM was becoming a drag on the party.​
Nick Hurd, 2001-2009

"I want you all to know that Britain today is on bended knee, in prayer for our royal sovereign, whose life was lost. And I want you to know that I can hear. And soon, whoever did this vile and infamous act shall hear all of you too." -- Hurd, at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II

Labour and the Conservatives battled neck-and-neck in the 2001 election, with the Conservatives managing to win a majority by only the slightest of margins, led by the son of former PM Douglas Hurd. Nick Hurd was one of the youngest Prime Ministers ever, and with the small majority he entered office with, was expected to be a cautious, consensus PM.

That all changed in only a matter of months, after Islamist radicals assassinated Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip during a London photo op. The shocking act caught the world's attention, and when connections were found between the radicals and the terrorist group Al Qaeda, Hurd launched Britain's biggest war since WWII, an international "War on Terror" that involved invading both Afghanistan and Libya. Along with increased police surveillance and extrajudicial detention, Hurd claimed it was necessary for the public safety, but critics charged him with lies and war crimes. Other critics claimed he was little more than a puppet of Deputy PM and Defence Secretary Nick Soames, whose involvement with private military companies was also viewed with suspension.

A 2004 attempt at gaining a larger majority barely succeeded, but Hurd was returned to office. His second ministry became more controversial than the first as it became clear that the Libyan War was not going as planned, and the economy seriously faltered. An economic crash in 2008 led to increased opposition in his own party, and Hurd eventually called an election after several backbenchers of his thinning majority made it clear that they could no longer support him. The election was easily one by Labour.

Sadiq Khan, 2009-2017

"The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into different slivers — black and white, Muslim and Christian, Labour and Tory, red and blue. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome god in our red ribbons, and we don't want MI5 poking around our libraries even if we wear blue. That's what makes us a United Kingdom."

Sadiq Khan was Britain's first Asian and first Muslim Prime Minister. Chosen as Labour Party leader over fierce competition from more senior Harriet Harman, Khan was not the most experienced or accomplished politician when he was asked by King Charles III to become PM, but came into office as an avatar for all that was not the old Britain -- new, fresh, a change from the old.

An initial wave of legislation was tempered by a fierce backlash. Conservatives won several by-elections and many seats in the European Parliament, and national approval of Khan dropped steadily in his first two years in office. But by 2012, it was clear that the economy, was still troubled, was improving, and the legalization of same sex marriage inspired supporters. The arrest, trial, and conviction of terrorist Sidique Khan shored up Khan's "tough on terror" bona fides, and after calling a general election in 2012, Khan returned with a majority.

Right-wing critics charged him with being part of the "Islamization" of Britain, and some even went so far as to push conspiracy theories that he was secretly a Pakistani terror agent sent to destroy Britain, or even a relative of the similarly-named terrorist. Critics further to his left felt he squandered his 2009 goodwill and didn't push for enough left-wing legislation. But by 2017, Khan felt he was popular enough and his legacy secured that he decided to step down from office.

Richard Desmond, 2017-????

One of the most unexpected political stories of the 21st century is the rise of Richard Desmond, a wealthy news baron who owned the Daily Express, the Daily Star, and numerous magazines launched a bitter right-wing campaign against Khan and the Labour government in the 2010s, and eventually launched his own political movement, of "independent conservatives," promising to "Make It A Great Britain." Self-funding and with his own active press apparatus, Desmond was able to gradually accumulate political power through elected Eurosceptic "independent" MPs backed up by him and even convincing some Tory regulars to switch to his movement.

Detractors considered him a racist who peddled conspiracy theories in a naked grab for power, but after the 2017 election, Desmond wound up pulling the strings of power as a kingmaker -- although Labour, now led by Harriet Harman, received the most votes by far, there was still no majority of seats. During contentious debates and government-forming discussions, Desmond -- who authored the book "The Real Deal" -- eventually cut a deal with the Conservative leadership, promising to fill a government with Conservatives if he was chosen as PM. The Conservatives acquiesced, and Desmond rode to Buckingham Palace to be chosen by the King.

His ministry has thus far chosen to unilaterally withdraw from the European Union and impose severe immigration restrictions, and journalists and investigators have discovered strange and suspicious links between Desmond and foreign hackers. Time will only tell if Desmond will succeed in his stated mission of making Britain Great again.​

Democracy at The Edge of The World: The Prime Ministers of New Zealand

24. Peter Fraser (Labour) (1940-1946)
25. Sidney Holland (National) (1946-1951)
26. Jerry Skinner (Labour) (1951-1960)
27. Arnold Nordmeyer (Labour) (1960-1966)

28. Jack Marshall (National) (1966-1975)
29. Bob Tizard (Labour) (1975-1984)
30. Jim McLay (National) (1984-1993)
31. Mike Moore (Labour) (1993-2003)
32. Phil Groff (Labour) (2003-2005)

33. Don Brash (National) (2005-2014)
34. David Shearer (Labour) (2014-2017)
35. Paula Bennett (National) (2017-present)

Rittenhouse: Derailing the Timeless
PoD: John F. Kennedy dies in 1952, after winning the Massachusetts Senate seat against Henry Canot Lodge Jr. Officially, he was killed by "a stray bullet", while in fact he was killed by a member of the Lifeboat Team.

Current day: September 11, 2001

1-33: unchanged
34: Dwight David Eisenhower (R-NY) 1953-1961

VP: Richard Milhous Nixon (R-CA)
1952 def: Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (D-IL) / John Jackson Sparkman (D-AL)
1956 def: Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (D-IL) / Carey Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
The Path to Oblivion
Sure, Ike was innocent in all this, but the Rittenhouse Club was already strong by the time he took office, having muddied the political scene for two centuries. During his tenure, Joseph Stalin died under controversial circumstances, forcing the Soviets in a power struggle.
Unlike OTL, Ike, under Rittenhouse's pressure, used the opportunity to make an attempt to retake Hungary. He failed, but did succeed in grabbing Sopron, Mosonmagyaróvár, and Szentgotthárd, using Austria as a stepping stone. In an act of reconciliation, Yugoslavia was given the last of these towns.
And deep within Moscow, Nikita Khrushchev has finally gained power in 1956. The Hungarian Revolution of 1956 never happened because of the loss of the western borderlands.

35: Lyndon Baines Johnson (D-TX) 1961-1965
VP: Hubert Horatio Humphrey Jr. (D-MN)
1960 def: Richard Milhous Nixon (R-CA) / Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (R-MA)
The Last Democrat
LBJ wasn't particularly popular, to say the least, and yet he managed to screw up his career to the point that he willingly exiled himself after leaving office.
The point here is that he started the Vietnam War, which was not something wanted by the South Vietnamese government; followed by the Cuban Missile Crisis, and a near-war over the events. As a result, he was nearly assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald, who was disgruntled by President Johnson's recklessness.
Late in his presidency, in the Soviet Union, Nikita Khrushchev was nearly ousted by his colleagues. This led to President Johnson's distrust on Hubert Humphrey, who was getting troubled over the Vietnam War.
As a result, he proposed the 25th Amendment, in public to allow succession to the Vice President, but in private, a tool to get rid of Vice President Humphrey while allowing someone more submissive to become Vice President in place of him.

36: Richard Milhous Nixon (R-NY 1965-1969, R-CA 1969-1973) 1965- Nov. 27 1973*
VP: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (R-MA) 1965-1969 ; Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller (R-NY) 1969-1973 ; John Bowden Connally Jr. (R-TX)
1964 def: Lyndon Baines Johnson (D-TX) / Hubert Horatio Humphrey Jr. (D-MN)
1968 def: Robert Francis Kennedy (D-MA)^ / George Armistead Smathers (D-FL) ; George Corley Wallace Jr. (American Independent-AL) / Curtis Emerson LeMay (American Independent-CA)
1972 def: George Stanley McGovern (D-SD) / Thomas Francis Eagleton (D-MO)^^
Our Martyr, Comrade Nixon (Наш мученик, товарищ Никсон)
Poor Nixon. He was blackmailed by the Rittenhouse Club into joining the 1964 election. Won the election, then was forced to repeal the 22nd Amendment.
It wasn't long before Nixon decided to pull out from Vietnam, though he had to wait until 1968 to get a chance. At this point, he decided to look for a different running mate, ending up with Nelson Rockefeller, a dissenting member of the Rittenhouse Club.
Although Rockefeller was more moderate than the others, Nixon still felt pressured, and eventually developed bipolar disorder, culminating with the Watergate event, and him replacing Rockefeller with John Connally.
That did not last either, and he eventually broke down in a public speech, attacking the Rittenhouse Club where he was supposed to be commemorating the Vietnam War. He ended up being shot by a member of the Rittenhouse Club.
A consequence of his legacy would be the Second American Civil War, which evolved into a pseudo-World War Three, and a limited nuclear exchange when Rittenhouse operatives attempted to seize North Dakota, Colorado and the East Coast.
As a side note, four months before Nixon's assassination, in the midst of the Cultural Revolution, the Soviet Union managed to force China to cede Xinjiang, parts of Inner Mongolia, and a strip of land in Jilin Province.

37: John Bowden Connally Jr. (R-TX) 1973-1984**
VP: Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. (R-MI) (1974-1981) ; Donald John Trump (R-NY) 1981-1984
1976 def: James Earl Carter Jr. (D-GA) / Walter Frederick Mondale (D-MN)
1980 def: Walter Frederick Mondale (D-MN) / Geraldine Anne Ferraro (D-NY) ; John Bayard Anderson (I-IL) / Patrick Joseph Lucey (I-WI)
1984 def: Geraldine Anne Ferraro (D-NY) / Michael Stanley Dukakis (D-MA)
A President at War, a Nation of Diminishing Power
At this point, the public has become aware of the Rittenhouse Club. Nelson Rockefeller became increasingly critical of the Club, and in private, revealed to his children of Rittenhouse's plans. When Rockefeller himself was shot, Rodman, Steven and Mary revealed the gruesome truth.
Shortly afterwards, Communist revolts started in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, which flamed into Yukon and British Columbia by 1979.
At this point, with Margaret Thatcher in the UK, and Alexei Kosygin in the Soviet Union (since 1970), the United States became increasingly unstable.
Eventually, the United States went into a three-way civil war, between Communists, Rittenhouse and loyalists, with the United Kingdom being a wild card in the conflict.
The net result was that John Connally became the Republican version of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, having three terms, and elected to a fourth.
However, this time the United States was being successfully invaded by a much powerful enemy.
By the end of the war, the Soviet Union, under Nikolai Tikhonov (replacing Kosygin in 1980), was clearly winning, and a new Cold War began between the Soviets, the United Kingdom, and the People's Republic of China, in a clear 1984 irony, with the American Republic being proclaimed in Sacramento, with Ronald Reagan as its first Premier.
In a last-ditch effort to safeguard democracy in southwestern United States, Mexico, with authorisation from Washington, invaded Soviet-occupied western America, taking over all of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas south of the 37th parallel, west of the Pecos River and west of the Mississippi River watershed, as well as Navajo communities in Utah and Colorado, and Texas south of the Guadalupe and Blanco Rivers. They, however, failed to push further north, and was forced to move southwards in Arizona and Nevada.
To demonstrate the Soviet Union's power, Tikhonov went as far as nuking Philadelphia, Camden and Wilmington with three low-yield ICBMs, on the basis of eliminating all traces of Rittenhouse, as well as conventionally bombarding New York, Newark, Hartford, Baltimore, Washington and Annapolis.
President Connally himself went missing when the Air Force One disappeared in Canadian airspace, and was declared dead in absentia.

38: Donald John Trump (R-NY) 1984-1993
VP: James Danforth Quayle (R-IN) (1985-1993)
1988 def: Lloyd Millard Bentsen (D-MS)^^^ / Albert Arnold Gore Sr. (D-TN)
We Will Build a Wall, and Let the Soviets Pay for It
Except, there is no wall, but rather, a series of fortifications along the Atchafalaya River, Mississippi River, Missouri River, and the Big Muddy Creek, splitting up Louisiana, Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana.
And even then, they are not safe against the Soviets, and secondary fortifications were built along the upper Mississippi River, Des Plaines River and the Ohio River.
Attempted to suspend the 1988 elections in order to stabilize the situation in the remaining states (but got shot down at the House of Representatives), and admitted Puerto Rico (including the United States Virgin Islands) as the 51st state (administratively the 33rd in the loss of the western states; the remaining portion of Montana was just Sheridan County and the eastern third of Roosevelt County, and became subordinate to North Dakota).
During his administration, the Thatcher administration in the United Kingdom became increasingly authoritarian due to West Germany (sans Bavaria Proper), portions of Switzerland north of the Rhine, and Cheb (Czechoslovak at the time) being annexed by East Germany. Eventually, Finland, Yugoslavia, and Austria, the latter having annexed Bavaria Proper, revoked their neutrality and joined the Warsaw Pact, causing Thatcher to propose the Atlantic Confederation, involving the merger of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
As to China, under Jiang Zemin, they annexed Taiwan by force.

39: Paul Efthemios Tsongas (D-MA) 1993- Jan. 14 1997***
VP: Albert Arnold Gore Jr. (D-TN)
1992 def: James Danforth Quayle (R-IN) / Henry Ross Perot (R-LA)^^^^
Someone has to Bring Balance to American Politics
Well, the Democrats are back in action, after experiencing 28 years of effective Republican domination. Perhaps 28 years in the wild did diminish the party's governance ability, but hey, they are doing their best for a failing state. There isn't much President Tsongas could do; in fact he admitted America's defeat in the Cold War. However, he did propel America into a technocratic position, with Steve Jobs, founder of Apple, finding himself as the Secretary of Commerce.
Unfortunately, he died prior to completing his only term. Due to worsening health, he opted not to run a second term, passing on to Al Gore, who would go on to win the next two elections.
By this point, a paranoid Margaret Thatcher has succeeded in executing the Atlantic Confederation plan, though with Portugal in place of Denmark, and a backroom agreement between Portugal, Basque, Aragonese, Catalan and Castilian separatists to break up Spain. This, however, was enough to block the Soviet Union (since 1993 led by a much more competent-than-OTL Boris Yeltsin) from the Bay of Biscay, due to Cantabria being allocated to Portugal, and the Basque State being pro-UK.
Also of note was John Spellman replacing Ronald Reagan as Premier of the American Republic in 1995.

40: Albert Arnold Gore Jr. (D-TN) Jan 14. 1997- Present
VP: James Donald Griffin (D-NY) Jan. 20 1997- Present
1996 def: George Walker Bush (R-GA)^^^^^ / Jack French Kemp (R-NY) ; Lyndon Hermyle LaRouche (U.S. Labor-VA) / Michael O. Billington (U.S. Labor-NY)
2000 def: Richard Bruce Cheney (R-IA)^^^^^^ / Robert Henry Michel (R-IL)
Marching Forwards
The Cold War may have been lost, but not all hope is lost with it. Al Gore, representing Tennessee, has found a way to reignite the American Dream, and work around the limits imposed by the Soviet Union.
Right now, the Soviet Union is the dominant country in global politics, which has made it prone to war. In fact, as they are militarily overstretched, their influence over Africa was getting weaker, with Gaza, Inhambane, and Maputo Provinces of Mozambique being lost to the United Republic of South Africa (which has annexed Botswana, Swaziland and Lesotho in ITTL 1990, formally incorporated Namibia in 1991, and abolished Apartheid in 1992).
Using this to his advantage, President Gore began funding pro-democracy militias within the Moscow-aligned American Republic (including most of British Columbia and Yukon; the rest is part of Alberta and the NWT of Canada).
As of now it is not known whether the plan has shown any success, as the political status of the American Republic has shown little to no change, though major, military victories are recorded, with Nebraska north of the (North) Platte River, as well as Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota and Montana south of the Missouri, Yellowstone and Powder Rivers being liberated.
As the areas liberated are still low in population, Wyoming was reestablished as a Territory, including the newly liberated areas of Montana. The capital of the reestablished Wyoming is Gillette.
The Lifeboat team crash landed in New York during the Gore presidency, with their time machine permanently broken down. By this point, the Rittenhouse Club has been destroyed, Richard Nixon is considered as a martyr in both the United States of America and the American Republic, and Nelson Rockefeller is considered a Saint in the Portland-Trenton Metropolitan Corridor (aka the PorTrent or the BosTrent, a shrunken version of the BosWash).

*Assassinated
**Disappeared in the Second American Civil War ("World War Three")
***Died in office

^Robert Kennedy survived the assassination attempt in California. Still, he lost the presidential election by a five-percent margin in popular vote.
^^TTL, Thomas Eagleton was not publicly known to have clinical depression until 1974.
^^^Lloyd Bentsen left Texas in 1982, and represents the Texan diaspora in the Deep South.
^^^^Ross Perot, on the other hand, escaped from Texas in 1985 due to the Communist takeover. Luckily he has a residence in New Orleans. Oddly enough, it was David Duke, and not Dan Quayle, who managed to win the Republican Primaries in New Hampshire, before being promptly beaten in Georgia.
^^^^^The Bush family took up residence in Florida and Georgia, partly due to Jeb Bush's influence in the region. In particular, Dubya became Governor of Georgia in 1995.
^^^^^^Dick Cheney took a plane to Iowa just hours before Lincoln, Nebraska fell, and became a State Representative of Iowa in 1987.

Last edited:

Chapman

Donor
1981-1989: Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/George H.W. Bush (R-TX)
Def. 1980 Jimmy Carter (D-GA)/Walter Mondale (D-MN)
Def. 1984 Walter Mondale (D-MN)/Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY)

1989-1993: Mario Cuomo (D-NY)/Henry Cisneros (D-TX)
Def. 1988 George H.W. Bush (R-TX)/Dan Quayle (R-IN)
1993-2001: George H.W. Bush (R-TX)/Jack Kemp (R-NY)
Def. 1992 Mario Cuomo (D-NY)/Henry Cisneros (D-TX), Ross Perot (Independent-TX)/James Stockdale (Independent-CA)
Def. 1996 Bill Clinton (D-AR)/Jerry Brown (D-CA), Ross Perot (Reform-TX)/Pat Choate (Reform-DC)

2001-2005: Jack Kemp (R-NY)/J.C. Watts (R-OK)
Def. 2000 Joe Biden (D-DE)/Bob Graham (D-FL)
2005-2011: Andrew Cuomo (D-NY)/Bill Richardson (D-NM)
Def. 2004 Jack Kemp (R-NY)/J.C. Watts (R-OK)
Def. 2008 George W. Bush (R-TX)/Mitt Romney (R-MA)

2011-2013: Bill Richardson (D-NM)/ Vacant
2013-2017:
George W. Bush (R-TX)/Sarah Palin (R-AK)
Def. 2012 Bill Richardson (D-NM)/John Edwards (D-NC), Bernie Sanders (Independent-VT)/Dennis Kucinich (Independent-OH)
2017-20??: Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)/Xavier Becerra (D-CA)
Def. 2016 George W. Bush (R-TX)/Sarah Palin (R-AK), Gary Johnson (Libertarian-NM)/Bill Weld (Libertarian-MA)

May add footnotes later if folks are curious

1981-1989: Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/George H.W. Bush (R-TX)
Def. 1980 Jimmy Carter (D-GA)/Walter Mondale (D-MN)
Def. 1984 Walter Mondale (D-MN)/Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY)

1989-1993: Mario Cuomo (D-NY)/Henry Cisneros (D-TX)
Def. 1988 George H.W. Bush (R-TX)/Dan Quayle (R-IN)
1993-2001: George H.W. Bush (R-TX)/Jack Kemp (R-NY)
Def. 1992 Mario Cuomo (D-NY)/Henry Cisneros (D-TX), Ross Perot (Independent-TX)/James Stockdale (Independent-CA)
Def. 1996 Bill Clinton (D-AR)/Jerry Brown (D-CA), Ross Perot (Reform-TX)/Pat Choate (Reform-DC)

2001-2005: Jack Kemp (R-NY)/J.C. Watts (R-OK)
Def. 2000 Joe Biden (D-DE)/Bob Graham (D-FL)
2005-2011: Andrew Cuomo (D-NY)/Bill Richardson (D-NM)
Def. 2004 Jack Kemp (R-NY)/J.C. Watts (R-OK)
Def. 2008 George W. Bush (R-TX)/Mitt Romney (R-MA)

2011-2013: Bill Richardson (D-NM)/ Vacant
2013-2017:
George W. Bush (R-TX)/Sarah Palin (R-AK)
Def. 2012 Bill Richardson (D-NM)/John Edwards (D-NC), Bernie Sanders (Independent-VT)/Dennis Kucinich (Independent-OH)
2017-20??: Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)/Xavier Becerra (D-CA)
It's like the Bushes are Nixon or something

Forgive me, I'm just a Yank, but here's something along the lines of recent posts. Part 2 will be coming later.

Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom, 1970 to present:
Similarly, I'm only a Canuck, but I'm really impressed with this analogue. You did a good job not only of finding appropriate counterparts for the figures, but of adapting the scandals and events to British circumstances— Cook losing his majority and navigating a hung parliament is a particularly clever adaptation of the Republican Revolution.

List of Presidents in "The West Wing" Universe

1999-2007: Gov. Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (D-NH)
VP: Sen. Maj. Leader John Hoynes (D-TX): 1999-2003; Rep. Bob Russell (D-CO): 2003-2007

2007-2011: Rep. Matthew Santos (D-TX)
VP: Gov. Eric Baker (D-PA)

2011-2019: Fmr. Gov. Mike Reed (R-OH)
VP: Fmr. Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley (R-WA)

2019-2023: Vice President Jeff Haffley (R-WA)
VP: Sen. Ainsley Hayes (R-NC)

2023-2031: Gov. Sam Seaborn (D-CA)
VP: Mayor Charlie Young (D-DC)

Earlier Bush

An idea of the Bush presidents becoming so earlier, based on an unconventional choice to replace Agnew

37(second term): Richard Nixon***(1973-1974)/Spiro Agnew***(1973), George HW Bush(1973-1974)
38(first term): George HW Bush/Bob Dole(1974-1977)[1]
-Election of 1976: George HW Bush/Bob Dole(Republican) vs Mo Udall/Ron Dellums(Republican)
39(first term): Mo Udall/Ron Dellums(1977-1981)[2]
-Election of 1980: Mo Udall/Ron Dellums(Democrat) vs Ronald Reagan/John B Anderson(Republican)
39(second term): Mo Udall/Ron Dellums(1981-1985)[3]
-Election of 1984: Jimmy Carter/Geraldine Ferraro(Democrat) vs John Connally/Larry Pressler(Republican)
40(first term): John Connally/Larry Pressler(1985-1989)
-Election of 1988: John Connally/Larry Pressler(Republican) vs Mario Cuomo/Bill Clinton(Democrat)
41(first term): Mario Cuomo/Bill Clinton(1989-1993)[4]
-Election of 1992: Mario Cuomo/Bill Clinton(Democrat) vs George W Bush/Elizabeth Dole(Republican)
42(first term): George W Bush/Elizabeth Dole(1993-1997)[5]
-Election of 1996: George W Bush/Elizabeth Dole(Republican) vs Bill Clinton/Jerry Brown(Democrat)
42(second term): George W Bush/Elizabeth Dole(1997-2001)

* Died, ** Assassinated, *** Resigned/removed
[1] Has a similar role to Gerald Ford, though is less goofy. That hurts him and plays a part in his loss to Udall
[2] First president from Arizona and black vice president.
[3] Avoids some of the missteps of Carter, allowing a close victory against Reagan
[4] Cuomo avoids the scandal that screwed him over OTL
[5] First female vice president

37: Richard Nixon***(1969-1974)/Spiro Agnew***(1969-1973), George HW Bush(1973-1974)
38: George HW Bush/Bob Dole(1974-1977)

39: Mo Udall/Ron Dellums(1977-1985)
40: John Connally/Larry Pressler(1985-1989)
41: Mario Cuomo/Bill Clinton(1989-1993)
42: George W Bush/Elizabeth Dole(1993-2001)

Different Nominees for 1976:

39. Mo Udall / Reubin Askew (Democratic): 1977-1981

Def. 1976: Ronald Reagan / Richard Schweiker (Republican)
40. Gerald Ford / Donald Rumsfeld (Republican): 1981-1985
Def. 1980: Mo Udall / Reubin Askew (Democratic)
41. Donald Rumsfeld / Howard Baker (Republican): 1985-1993
Def. 1984: Reubin Askew / Dianne Feinstein (Democratic)
Def. 1988: Jerry Brown / Michael Dukakis (Democratic)

42. Jimmy Carter / Douglas Wilder (Democratic): 1993-2001
Def. 1992: Howard Baker / Jack Kemp (Republican)
Def. 1996: Bob Dole / Connie Mack III (Republican)

43. Douglas Wilder / Joe Biden (Democratic): 2001-2005
Def. 2000: Dan Quayle / Jon Kyl (Republican)
44. Tom Ridge / Olympia Snowe (Republican): 2005-2013
Def. 2004: Douglas Wilder / Joe Biden (Democratic)
Def. 2008: Joe Biden / Patty Murray (Democratic)

45. Jeff Merkley / Blanche Lincoln (Democratic): 2013-2021
Def. 2012: Tim Pawlenty / Eric Cantor (Republican)
Def. 2016: Chris Christie / John Cornyn (Republican)

46. Jon Huntsman / Susan Collins (Republican): 2021-Incumbent
Def. 2020: Blanche Lincoln / John Hickenlooper (Democratic)

Status
Not open for further replies.