List of Alternate Presidents and PMs II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we know if the BJP is even in power with a 1976 POD? And even if they are, why would the public care?
But that doesn't change the fact she's a nationalistic homophobic nutjob... I accept your point, but she seems inclined to make similar connections regardless of who with - she's also pro-Assad.

But that doesn't change the fact she's a nationalistic homophobic nutjob... I accept your point, but she seems inclined to make similar connections regardless of who with - she's also pro-Assad.

I like how quickly and completely AH.com orthodoxy seems to have turned against her.

I like how quickly and completely AH.com orthodoxy seems to have turned against her.
I must admit I used to be a prolific user of Gabbard as a Progressive then someone - I think it was Gonzo? - pointed out to me that she isn't really a Progressive, so I read up on her properly and my opinion shifted significantly...

A few things behind this one: I wanted to experiment with one of the labor party PODs I posted a while back, and to do something different from the right-wing dystopias so common in this thread. Possibly not the most realistic scenario - I'm sure globalization would shake it up a little in later years, although having a strong left labor movement in America would probably lessen its severity compared to OTL. If bits of it seem familiar it's because I posted some boxes from a previous version over in the wikibox thread.
I noticed this just after I posted mine. Good job! :D

I must admit I used to be a prolific user of Gabbard as a Progressive then someone - I think it was Gonzo? - pointed out to me that she isn't really a Progressive, so I read up on her properly and my opinion shifted significantly...
I wouldn't say she's a homophobe those days, but I do understand why some are sceptical of her change in stance, given her statements back in 2004 or so.

I wouldn't say she's a homophobe those days, but I do understand why some are sceptical of her change in stance, given her statements back in 2004 or so.
I know she has supposedly changed her stance, but her Damascene conversion seems rather well timed to be genuine if I'm being honest... I have similar reservations about Clinton, though unlike Clinton Gabbard participated in an actively homophobic campaign. As someone who used to be very socially conservative I'm very aware that it is incredibly hard to abandon those views...

Well, they either are very different people, or a sign of a poorly-realized AH.
I think the general consensus is that (for lists, at least) butterflies only matter as much as you want them to. If you're writing a full-length timeline, you should make up new people born after the PoD, but when it's just a list, with nothing other than a short description, there's no real point in making up meaningless names for the sake of realism.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
"I hear your a homophobe now Ms Representative! How'd you get interested in that kind of thing? Should we all be homophobes now? What's the official line the party has taken on this?"

"I hear your a homophobe now Ms Representative! How'd you get interested in that kind of thing? Should we all be homophobes now? What's the official line the party has taken on this?"

"I don't care as long as I can have a go at the Greeks! THEY INVENTED HOMOPHOBIA!"

I know she has supposedly changed her stance, but her Damascene conversion seems rather well timed to be genuine if I'm being honest... I have similar reservations about Clinton, though unlike Clinton Gabbard participated in an actively homophobic campaign. As someone who used to be very socially conservative I'm very aware that it is incredibly hard to abandon those views...
Fair. We can't look into people's hearts and see what they genuinely believe in. Maybe she regrets her past views, maybe it's all a facade. We can't know.

And that's a perfectly good reason she shouldn't be President.

To be fair, (homophobia aside) Gabbard agrees with progressives in pretty much everything except foreign policy/Islamaphobia. And even then, before Trump, non-interventionist dictator worship was the realm of wackie lefties like Cynthia McKinney rather than the right.

Oppo - Kucinich The Race Baiter
Kucinich The Race Baiter
Early in Dennis Kucinich's career, he was quite a race baiter, believe it or not. I figured it would be interesting to see how a more successful AIP could work with Kucinich.
1969-1972: Richard Nixon/John Chafee (Republican)
1968: Hubert Humphrey/Terry Sanford (Democrat), George Wallace/Happy Chandler (American Independent)
1972: John Chafee/Vacant (Republican)
1972-1977: John Chafee/Rogers Morton (Republican)

1972: George Wallace/Lester Maddox (American Independent), George McGovern/Kevin White (Democrat)

1977-1981: John Chafee/James Holshouser (Republican)
1976: Reubin Askew/Dick Clark (Democrat), George Wallace/Frank Rizzo (American Independent)
1981-1989: Frank Rizzo/John Singlaub (American Independent)
1980: William Proxmire/Daniel Patrick Moynihan (Democrat), James Holshouser/William Milken (Republican)
1984: Alan Cranston/Scott Matherson (Democrat), Charles Throne/Charles Percy (Republican)

1989-1991: John Singlaub/Dennis Kucinich (American Independent)
1988: Micheal Castle/Marshall Coleman (Republican), Scott Matherson/John Evans (Democrat)
1991: Dennis Kucinich/Vacant (American Independent)
1991-1993: Dennis Kucinich/Newton Gingrich (American Independent)

1993-1997: James Blanchard/John Murtha (Democrat)
1992: Dennis Kucinich/Newton Gingrich (American Independent), Tom Kean/Dan Lungren (Republican)
1997-1998: Bo Sullivan/Tom Ridge (Republican)
1996: James Blanchard/John Murtha (Democrat), Newton Gingrich/John Breaux (American Independent)
1998: Tom Ridge/Vacant (Republican)
1998-2000: Tom Ridge/Mark Warner (Republican/Democrat)
2000-2009: Tom Ridge/Mark Warner (Republican)

2000: Joe Barton/Pete King (American Independent), Jesse Jackson/Edmund Brown (Democrat)
2004: Gary Kucinich/Mike Gabbard (American Independent), Ted Turner/Willie Brown (Democrat)

2009-2017: Mark Warner/Robert Borski (Republican)
2008: Dan Quayle/Michael Huckabee (American Independent), Matt Gonzalez/Al Roker (Democrat)
2012: Mike Pence/Rudy Guliani (American Independent)

2017-Present: Dennis Kucinich/Joe Miller (American Independent)
2016: Robert Borski/Bill Haslam (Republican), Bill de Blasio/Jeff Merkley (Liberal)

Status
Not open for further replies.