List of Alternate Presidents and PMs II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Et Tu, Bannon?
January 20, 2017-May 18, 2018: Donald J. Trump/Mike Pence
On May 16, 2018, an anonymous source leaked footage of Mike Pence having an extramarital affair. He resigns in disgrace, apologizing to the nation for his "abhorrent, devilish" behavior.
May 18, 2018-June 18, 2018: Donald J. Trump/Vacant
There is wide media speculation regarding who Trump will nominate as Pence's successor. Major outlets have speculated Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson as likely nominees. On May 20, Trump announces that he "has something big planned".
On May 23, Donald Trump, after inviting both Chris Christie and Tom Cotton to Washington, D.C., announces on live television that he will nominate Steve Bannon to replace Mike Pence.
The House and Senate Democrats express extreme outrage over the nomination, and within two days every single Democratic member of Congress (including Independent Senators Bernie Sanders and Angus King) announce that they will vote against Bannon.
On June 4, Senator Ted Cruz calls upon his colleagues to "put aside partisanship, and understand that the country is in need of a second-in-command. Donald Trump believes that Mr. Bannon is well-suited for the role, and I am inclined to agree with him".
By June 5, 200 House Republicans have confirmed that they will vote for YES for Steve Bannon. By June 15, 16 more Republicans in the House have declared their support for Bannon. With two votes short of a majority, both parties scramble.

On June 9, Steve Bannon had received 218 votes from the House of Representatives, after 23 Republicans strongly refused to support Bannon. These 23 are praised by the House Democrats as "heroes who put country over party".
On June 18, every single Democrat, both Independents, and Republican Susan Collins voted against Bannon. By 5:45 PM, 99 Senators had voted for Bannon, 49 against and 50 for, with Senator Marco Rubio serving as the swing vote. He had criticized Bannon in the past, but as of late had expressed his support of Donald Trump, especially after he had sent federal funds to Florida following Hurricane Jonathan. In the end, Senator Rubio had voted in favor of Steven Bannon, allowing him to secure the 51 necessary votes to become the next Vice President of the United States.
June 18, 2018-January 23, 2019: Donald J. Trump/Steve Bannon
Over the next six months, Steve Bannon is called upon to break numerous ties in the Senate, following Lindsey Graham and Susan Collins leaving the Republican Party, and caucusing with the Democrats on several occasions.
News media outlets had a field day come December 15, 2018.
Footage had been leaked by an anonymous source of Donald Trump taking a briefcase of money from Putin. ("I really appreciate you helping me with this election, Vlad, I really do. We're going to do great things for each other, great things for this country. Oh, and those sanctions? Gone. They're gone. Done. The sanctions have been a disaster, can you believe it? Thank you again.")
All but sixteen members of the House voted to impeach Donald Trump. And on January 3, after the new Congress has started, the House votes to impeach him 420-15. The Senate removes him from office 94-6 on January 23, 2019.

Immediately, Trump was forcibly removed from the White House after refusing to leave. Steve Bannon was inaugurated as the 46th President of the United States seconds later.
January 23, 2019-January 25, 2019: Steven Bannon/Vacant
President Bannon immediately announced that David Koch would serve as his Vice President. He is confirmed by the House and the Senate 300-245 and 51-49.
January 25, 2019-present: Steve Bannon/David Koch

January 20, 2021-present: LITERALLY ANYTHING RUNNING AS A DEMOCRAT/The Decency of the American Public
Wins every single state and every electoral vote against Bannon.

Et Tu, Bannon?
January 20, 2017-May 18, 2018: Donald J. Trump/Mike Pence
On May 16, 2018, an anonymous source leaked footage of Mike Pence having an extramarital affair. He resigns in disgrace, apologizing to the nation for his "abhorrent, devilish" behavior.
May 18, 2018-June 18, 2018: Donald J. Trump/Vacant
There is wide media speculation regarding who Trump will nominate as Pence's successor. Major outlets have speculated Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson as likely nominees. On May 20, Trump announces that he "has something big planned".
On May 23, Donald Trump, after inviting both Chris Christie and Tom Cotton to Washington, D.C., announces on live television that he will nominate Steve Bannon to replace Mike Pence.
The House and Senate Democrats express extreme outrage over the nomination, and within two days every single Democratic member of Congress (including Independent Senators Bernie Sanders and Angus King) announce that they will vote against Bannon.
On June 4, Senator Ted Cruz calls upon his colleagues to "put aside partisanship, and understand that the country is in need of a second-in-command. Donald Trump believes that Mr. Bannon is well-suited for the role, and I am inclined to agree with him".
By June 5, 200 House Republicans have confirmed that they will vote for YES for Steve Bannon. By June 15, 16 more Republicans in the House have declared their support for Bannon. With two votes short of a majority, both parties scramble.

On June 9, Steve Bannon had received 218 votes from the House of Representatives, after 23 Republicans strongly refused to support Bannon. These 23 are praised by the House Democrats as "heroes who put country over party".
On June 18, every single Democrat, both Independents, and Republican Susan Collins voted against Bannon. By 5:45 PM, 99 Senators had voted for Bannon, 49 against and 50 for, with Senator Marco Rubio serving as the swing vote. He had criticized Bannon in the past, but as of late had expressed his support of Donald Trump, especially after he had sent federal funds to Florida following Hurricane Jonathan. In the end, Senator Rubio had voted in favor of Steven Bannon, allowing him to secure the 51 necessary votes to become the next Vice President of the United States.
June 18, 2018-January 23, 2019: Donald J. Trump/Steve Bannon
Over the next six months, Steve Bannon is called upon to break numerous ties in the Senate, following Lindsey Graham and Susan Collins leaving the Republican Party, and caucusing with the Democrats on several occasions.
News media outlets had a field day come December 15, 2018.
Footage had been leaked by an anonymous source of Donald Trump taking a briefcase of money from Putin. ("I really appreciate you helping me with this election, Vlad, I really do. We're going to do great things for each other, great things for this country. Oh, and those sanctions? Gone. They're gone. Done. The sanctions have been a disaster, can you believe it? Thank you again.")
All but sixteen members of the House voted to impeach Donald Trump. And on January 3, after the new Congress has started, the House votes to impeach him 420-15. The Senate removes him from office 94-6 on January 23, 2019.

Immediately, Trump was forcibly removed from the White House after refusing to leave. Steve Bannon was inaugurated as the 46th President of the United States seconds later.
January 23, 2019-January 25, 2019: Steven Bannon/Vacant
President Bannon immediately announced that David Koch would serve as his Vice President. He is confirmed by the House and the Senate 300-245 and 51-49.
January 25, 2019-present: Steve Bannon/David Koch
Who were the six that voted against impeachment?

wolfram - The Weird Turn Pro
The Weird Turn Pro (style stolen from @theev)

1969-1977: Fmr. VP Richard Nixon/Rep. Bill Cramer (REP) 1
def. Sen. Robert Kennedy/Sen. George McGovern (DEM)
def. Gov. Ben Barnes/scattered [replacing Fmr. VP Hubert Humphrey/Gov. Ben Barnes] (DEM) 1a
1977-1979: Sen. John Tower/Gov. Robert Ray (REP) 2
def. Sen. Adlai Stevenson III/Sen. Frank Church (DEM)
1979-1981: VP Robert Ray/Sen. Howard Baker (REP) 3
1981-1985: Gov. Hunter S. Thompson/Sen. Fred Harris (DEM) 4
def. Pres. Robert Ray/VP Howard Baker (REP), Fmr. SecTreas John Connally/Rep. John Anderson (IND)
1985-1989: Fmr. SecState George H.W. Bush/Rep. Phil Crane (REP) 5
def. Pres. Hunter S. Thompson/VP Fred Harris (DEM)
1989-1993: Fmr. Pres. Hunter S. Thompson/Rep. John Lewis (DEM) 6
def. Pres. George H.W. Bush/VP Phil Crane (REP)
1993-2001: Sen. Alan Simpson/Rep. Kay Bailey Hutchison (REP) 7
def. Sen. Joe Biden/SecLabor John Sweeney (DEM)
def. Gov. Mickey Leland/Sen. Dale Bumpers (DEM)
2001-2005: Steve Jobs/Gov. Gary Locke (DEM) 8
def. Sen. Mitch McConnell/Rep. John Kasich (REP)
2005-2009: Gov. Mitt Romney/Gov. Richard Vinroot (REP) 9
def. VP Gary Locke/Sen. Tom Daschle (DEM)
2009-2013: Gov. Michael Moore/Sen. Mary Landrieu (DEM) 10
def. Pres. Mitt Romney/VP Richard Vinroot (REP)
2013-????: Sen. Heidi Cruz/Gov. Kelly Ayotte (REP) 11
def. Pres. Michael Moore/Rep. Bernard Sanders (DEM), VP Mary Landrieu/Gov. Charlie Crist (IDM)
def. Fmr. CoS Sean Penn/Gov. John Chiang (DEM)

1: "I did not authorize, and had no knowledge of, the burglary at the Watergate hotel... I will turn over any relevant documentation to the proper authorities."
1a: "The untimely death of Vice President Humphrey is a tragedy, and the world is poorer for it. We must now work to carry his legacy forward."​
2: "In order to maintain the dignity of the office of the Presidency, I hereby resign that office... I ask for your forgiveness and for God's."
3: "Our party is stronger than one man. The same is true of our opponents."
4: "We must not be more afraid of being impolite than inhuman."
5: "There are no panaceas in government, and anyone who tells you different is lying or crazy."
6: "I'm back, you swine!... I'm like a cockroach, or the clap."
7: "What America needs, now more than ever, is normalcy."
8: "We cannot afford to maintain the status quo. The status is not quo."
9: "Too many Americans are willfully dependent on the federal government. They may hate me for it, but I will do all in my power to reduce their numbers."
10: "I don't know if I think I ought to be President, but just look at the competition."
11: "The Democrats keep electing critics and firebrands, but not in half a century have they elected a statesman."

Sideways

Donor
'Oh Dear'
Yes, yes, yes, implausible, but it's fun, okay?

2010-2015: David Cameron (Conservative)
def. 2010 (Liberal Democrats Coalition): Gordon Brown (Labour), Nick Clegg (Liberal Democrats)
2015-2016: Nick Clegg (Liberal Democrats) [1]
def. 2015: Ed Miliband (Labour), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP), David Cameron (Conservative), Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru), Nigel Farage (UKIP), Natalie Bennet (Green)
2016-now: Tim Farron (Liberal Democrats) [2]

1- No one really knows what happened on election night, 2015. Polling day was strange, filled with a number of oddities and several bursts of bright light across the sky (seemingly coming from around Whitehall Court), and when Britain woke up the next day, a stranger thing had happened- Nick Clegg was Prime Minister. Five years ago, whilst this would have been unexpected, it wouldn't have been so strange to so many. But in 2015, with the Liberal Democrats widely unpopular and having trailed in the opinion polls for years, it was positively astounding. Clegg himself was perhaps the most taken back, having become a figure to be pitied and hated among the countries diverse quarters. Was there a mistake? Following a mass recount in over 400 seats, this was obviosuly not the case. Clegg found himself kissing hands with the Queen and stepping though the doors of Downing Street- alone. The Tories had been nearly wiped out. UKIP and the Green Party lost all representation. The SNP had surged, and Labour, whilst taking a beating, was limping on. A strange new world had dawned, and with a majority larger than that of Margret Thatcher's in 1979, the Prime Minister (something that Clegg would find himself unable to be comfortable being called) would go forward into the dawn.

As soon as the final recounts had been completed, Clegg called Cabinet. It was largely as Clegg had planned his Cabinet before the election, with the notable exception of Danny Alexander, who was replaced with Vince Cable as he had lost his seat. The first meeting was somewhat awkward; after an initial few moments of back patting and self congratulations (and more than enough gloating), an uncomfortable question was raised by Michael Moore- now what? Obviosuly run a Government and implement the manifesto, but it was a deeper question that drove the Cabinet that day. No one expected the party to win, many around the table had expected to loose their seats. There was little preparation, no idea of what to do with their new found power. Fulfills their manifesto promises, obviously, but did people really find it so inspiring they voted Liberal? An idea that was floated around and quickly died was to invite the annihilated Conservatives to join them- there were only 3 MPs, and Theresa May had been Home Secretary for some five years, but she had no intention of jumping aboard.

As it was, the first Liberal Government since Lloyd George government functioned, though at times was a stop-and-go affair. Personal allowance was raised, Universal Credit was implemented further, the NHS saw a budget increase, and there were efforts to retread old ground on Tuition Fees and heal the wounds. Ground was broken on the first of nearly a dozen Garden Cities, Britain moved closer to Europe, and there were reforms in the Policing service and taxation. There were hiccups; the Governments Foreign Policy of 'Liberal interventionism' was controversial and highly criticised, and their approach to Northern Ireland receiving an angry and violent backlash from Unionists in the Province. But White Papers stacked like bricks, and the Government of 'nice things' progressed with ease through its first year.

Clegg would step down in May, 2016. His tenability as Prime Minister was always a private question, as he had offered to step down in 2014 during a crisis of confidence. Quickly following his surprise victory, Clegg found himself pressured both by elements in his Party, who wanted him to step aside for someone more willing for the job, and himself, struggling under the stress of job and what effect it was having on his health and his marriage. After the 2016 Local Elections, which saw a sharp drop in Liberal Council Seats, he saw an opening. Meeting with the Queen, the surprise Prime Minister resigned, and left Downing Street to depart into the history books.

2- The ascension of Foreign Secretary Tim Farron was not entirely unexpected. Since the revelation of Clegg's crisis of faith, the Party turned its eyes on a number of potential candidates to succeed the soon-to-be departing Prime Minister. The strongest candidates were in the Great Offices of State, Chancellor Vince Cable, Home Secretary Lynne Featherstone, and Farron; Cable declined, citing that he has no interest in the Leadership at present, whilst Featherstone would be dogged by a number of gaffes and the ongoing violence in Northern Ireland. Farron could have walked it, but instead faced strong resistance from lower ministerial ranks, particularly with the Health Secretary Norman Lamb. Positioning himself on the Left, Farron had support in the grassroots and was able to use the moral outrage against the Islamic State and the support for intervention in Syria to his advantage, aggravating Lamb's more dovish instincts in an effort to make seem unsuitable for the Premiership in the ongoing international crisis. Farron would come under sharp criticism for his tightlipped views on homosexuality and abortion, notably telling an interviewer that "my record speaks for itself" when asked of his views, which backfired when the interviewer bought up his mixed history on LGBT rights. Still, he would subsequently win a narrow victory over Lamb, who was himself caught in a gaffe surrounding immigration control (which led to a particularly cutting rendition of 'Golden Brown').

Upon entering office, the former Lecturer made his position clear; he would continue his predecessors programs, but also to go further beyond. Laying out a broad program of education and health care reforms, a coherent environmental policy, a strong British presence overseas in both a combat and humanitarian capacity, and further devolution to Provincial levels, Farron is set to be productive. However, he has a perhaps larger goal in mind, one pertaining to constitution reform. It is expected that, at the Queens Speech, the Government will introduce a two prong plan to radically transform Britain; an elected Lords, and a rerun of Electoral Reform, but this time on the grounds of either STV or MMP.

Only time will tell if he can succeed.

365 {↑308}- 40.8% {↑17.8%}- Nick Clegg, Liberal Democrats
{046}- 30.1% {↑01.1%}- Ed Miliband, Labour
{↑044}- 04.9% {03.2%}- Nicola Sturgeon, SNP
{↓300}- 18.0% {↓18.1%}- David Cameron, Conservative
{-000}- 00.6% {-00.0%}- Leanne Wood, Plaid Cymru
{↓002}- 03.8% {↑00.2%}- Nigel Farage (UKIP)
{↓001}- 01.1% {↑00.2%}- Natalie Bennet (Green)
{other}- Speaker John Bercow
{Northern Irish}

(Conservatives still in the House: Theresa May (Maidenhead), Greg Hands (Chelsea and Fulham), Ranil Jayawardena (North East Hampshire))

This is genuinely amazing. Kind of want more.

Deleted member 87099

The Weird Turn Pro (style stolen from @theev)

1969-1977: Fmr. VP Richard Nixon/Rep. Bill Cramer (REP) 1
def. Sen. Robert Kennedy/Sen. George McGovern (DEM)
def. Gov. Ben Barnes/scattered [replacing Fmr. VP Hubert Humphrey/Gov. Ben Barnes] (DEM) 1a
1977-1979: Sen. John Tower/Gov. Robert Ray (REP) 2
def. Sen. Adlai Stevenson III/Sen. Frank Church (DEM)
1979-1981: VP Robert Ray/Sen. Howard Baker (REP) 3
1981-1985: Gov. Hunter S. Thompson/Sen. Fred Harris (DEM) 4
def. Pres. Robert Ray/VP Howard Baker (REP), Fmr. SecTreas John Connally/Rep. John Anderson (IND)
1985-1989: Fmr. SecState George H.W. Bush/Rep. Phil Crane (REP) 5
def. Pres. Hunter S. Thompson/VP Fred Harris (DEM)
1989-1993: Fmr. Pres. Hunter S. Thompson/Rep. John Lewis (DEM) 6
def. Pres. George H.W. Bush/VP Phil Crane (REP)
1993-2001: Sen. Alan Simpson/Rep. Kay Bailey Hutchison (REP) 7
def. Sen. Joe Biden/SecLabor John Sweeney (DEM)
def. Gov. Mickey Leland/Sen. Dale Bumpers (DEM)
2001-2005: Steve Jobs/Gov. Gary Locke (DEM) 8
def. Sen. Mitch McConnell/Rep. John Kasich (REP)
2005-2009: Gov. Mitt Romney/Gov. Richard Vinroot (REP) 9
def. VP Gary Locke/Sen. Tom Daschle (DEM)
2009-2013: Gov. Michael Moore/Sen. Mary Landrieu (DEM) 10
def. Pres. Mitt Romney/VP Richard Vinroot (REP)
2013-????: Sen. Heidi Cruz/Gov. Kelly Ayotte (REP) 11
def. Pres. Michael Moore/Rep. Bernard Sanders (DEM), VP Mary Landrieu/Gov. Charlie Crist (IDM)
def. Fmr. CoS Sean Penn/Gov. John Chiang (DEM)

1: "I did not authorize, and had no knowledge of, the burglary at the Watergate hotel... I will turn over any relevant documentation to the proper authorities."
1a: "The untimely death of Vice President Humphrey is a tragedy, and the world is poorer for it. We must now work to carry his legacy forward."​
2: "In order to maintain the dignity of the office of the Presidency, I hereby resign that office... I ask for your forgiveness and for God's."
3: "Our party is stronger than one man. The same is true of our opponents."
4: "We must not be more afraid of being impolite than inhuman."
5: "There are no panaceas in government, and anyone who tells you different is lying or crazy."
6: "I'm back, you swine!... I'm like a cockroach, or the clap."
7: "What America needs, now more than ever, is normalcy."
8: "We cannot afford to maintain the status quo. The status is not quo."
9: "Too many Americans are willfully dependent on the federal government. They may hate me for it, but I will do all in my power to reduce their numbers."
10: "I don't know if I think I ought to be President, but just look at the competition."
11: "The Democrats keep electing critics and firebrands, but not in half a century have they elected a statesman."

Nice!

Also, have I started a trend? :p

shiftygiant - Thatcher Plus Debris

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Thatcher Plus Debris
1979-1990: Margret Thatcher (Conservative)

def. 1979: Jim Callaghan (Labour), David Steel (Liberal)
def. 1983: Michael Foot (Labour), Roy Jenkins/David Steel (SDP-Liberal Alliance)
def. 1987: Neil Kinnock (Labour), David Owen/David Steel (SDP-Liberal Alliance)

1990-1992: Michael Heseltine (Conservative)
1992-1993: Neil Kinnock (Labour)

def. 1992: Michael Heseltine (Conservative), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats)
1993-1994: John Smith (Labour)
1994-2000: Gordon Brown (Labour)

def. 1997 (Liberal Democrats coalition): Michael Howard (Conservative), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats)
2000-2002: Robin Cook (Labour)
2002-2009: Michael Howard (Conservative)

def. 2002: Robin Cook (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats)
def. 2007: Hilary Armstrong (Labour), Malcolm Bruce (Liberal Democrats)

2009-2012: Oliver Letwin (Conservative)
2012-2012: George Osborne (Conservative)
2012-2017: Hilary Benn (Labour)

def. 2012: George Osbrone (Conservative), John Leech (Liberal Democrats)
2017-20??: George Osborne (Conservative)
def. 2017 (Minority): Hilary Benn (Labour), John Leech (Liberal Democrats), Angus MacNeil (SNP)

†-
Died.
※- Resigned; Thatcher stepped down after being challenged for the leadership, Kinnock resigned in the wake of Black Friday, Brown resigned after six years, Howard resigned after two election victories, Letwin resigned following a scandal involving a memo.

Gonzo - Blinded by the Light + The Road to Babylon
A few things from the Mannverse of 'Blinded by the Light' and 'The Road to Babylon.' Enjoy:

List of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom

1959-1963: Harold Macmillan (Conservative)
1959: Hugh Gaitksell (Labour), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1963-1964: R. A. Butler (Conservative)
1964-1973: James Callaghan (Labour)

1964: R. A. Butler (Conservative), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1966: R. A. Butler (Conservative), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1970: Iain Macleod (Conservative), Eric Lubbock (Liberal), Desmond Donnelly (Democratic)

1973-????: George Brown (Labour)

List of Presidents of the United States

1963-1969: Lyndon B. Johnson / Hubert H. Humphrey (Democratic)

1964: Barry Goldwater / William E. Miller (Republican)
1969-????: George L. Murphy / Edward J. Gurney (Republican)
1968: Lyndon B. Johnson / Hubert H. Humphrey (Democratic), George Wallace / Curtis LeMay (American Independent)
1972: Walter Reuther / William B. Spong (Democratic), Joe Pyne / Clay Smothers (American Independent)

List of Presidents of France

1958-1970: Charles de Gaulle (UNR)

1958: Georges Marrane (PCF), Albert Chatelet (UFD)
1965: Francois Mitterrand (CIR), Jean Lecanuet (MRP), Jean-Louis Tixier-Vignancour (DVED)

1970-????: Alain Poher (CD)
1970: Jacques Duclos (PCF), Gaston Defferre (SFIO), Michel Rocard (PSU)

List of General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

1953-1964: Nikita Khrushchev (CPSU)
1964-1973: Leonid Brezhnev (CPSU)
1973-????: Vitaly Fedorchuk (CPSU)

List of Prime Ministers of Canada

1963-1968: Lester B. Pearson (Liberal)

1963: John Diefenbaker (Progressive Conservative), Robert N. Thompson (Social Credit), Tommy Douglas (New Democratic)
1965: John Diefenbaker (Progressive Conservative), Tommy Douglas (New Democratic), Real Caouette (Social Credit)
1968-1972: Paul Hellyer (Liberal)
1968: John Diefenbaker (Progressive Conservative), Tommy Douglas (New Democratic), Real Caouette (Social Credit)
1972-????: John Diefenbaker (Progressive Conservative)
1972: Paul Hellyer (Liberal), Real Caouette (Social Credit), David Lewis (New Democratic)

Chancellors of the Federal Republic of German

1963-1966: Ludwig Erhard (CDU/CSU)
1965: Willy Brandt (SPD), Erich Mende (FDP)
1966-????: Kurt Georg Kiesinger (CDU/CSU)
1969: Willy Brandt (SPD), Walter Scheel (FDP), Adolf von Thadden (NPD)
1973: Willy Brandt (SPD), Walter Scheel (FDP), Adolf von Thadden (NPD)

'Oh Dear'
Yes, yes, yes, implausible, but it's fun, okay?

2010-2015: David Cameron (Conservative)
def. 2010 (Liberal Democrats Coalition): Gordon Brown (Labour), Nick Clegg (Liberal Democrats)
2015-2016: Nick Clegg (Liberal Democrats) [1]
def. 2015: Ed Miliband (Labour), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP), David Cameron (Conservative), Leanne Wood (Plaid Cymru), Nigel Farage (UKIP), Natalie Bennet (Green)
2016-now: Tim Farron (Liberal Democrats) [2]

1- No one really knows what happened on election night, 2015. Polling day was strange, filled with a number of oddities and several bursts of bright light across the sky (seemingly coming from around Whitehall Court), and when Britain woke up the next day, a stranger thing had happened- Nick Clegg was Prime Minister. Five years ago, whilst this would have been unexpected, it wouldn't have been so strange to so many. But in 2015, with the Liberal Democrats widely unpopular and having trailed in the opinion polls for years, it was positively astounding. Clegg himself was perhaps the most taken back, having become a figure to be pitied and hated among the countries diverse quarters. Was there a mistake? Following a mass recount in over 400 seats, this was obviosuly not the case. Clegg found himself kissing hands with the Queen and stepping though the doors of Downing Street- alone. The Tories had been nearly wiped out. UKIP and the Green Party lost all representation. The SNP had surged, and Labour, whilst taking a beating, was limping on. A strange new world had dawned, and with a majority larger than that of Margret Thatcher's in 1979, the Prime Minister (something that Clegg would find himself unable to be comfortable being called) would go forward into the dawn.

As soon as the final recounts had been completed, Clegg called Cabinet. It was largely as Clegg had planned his Cabinet before the election, with the notable exception of Danny Alexander, who was replaced with Vince Cable as he had lost his seat. The first meeting was somewhat awkward; after an initial few moments of back patting and self congratulations (and more than enough gloating), an uncomfortable question was raised by Michael Moore- now what? Obviosuly run a Government and implement the manifesto, but it was a deeper question that drove the Cabinet that day. No one expected the party to win, many around the table had expected to loose their seats. There was little preparation, no idea of what to do with their new found power. Fulfills their manifesto promises, obviously, but did people really find it so inspiring they voted Liberal? An idea that was floated around and quickly died was to invite the annihilated Conservatives to join them- there were only 3 MPs, and Theresa May had been Home Secretary for some five years, but she had no intention of jumping aboard.

As it was, the first Liberal Government since Lloyd George government functioned, though at times was a stop-and-go affair. Personal allowance was raised, Universal Credit was implemented further, the NHS saw a budget increase, and there were efforts to retread old ground on Tuition Fees and heal the wounds. Ground was broken on the first of nearly a dozen Garden Cities, Britain moved closer to Europe, and there were reforms in the Policing service and taxation. There were hiccups; the Governments Foreign Policy of 'Liberal interventionism' was controversial and highly criticised, and their approach to Northern Ireland receiving an angry and violent backlash from Unionists in the Province. But White Papers stacked like bricks, and the Government of 'nice things' progressed with ease through its first year.

Clegg would step down in May, 2016. His tenability as Prime Minister was always a private question, as he had offered to step down in 2014 during a crisis of confidence. Quickly following his surprise victory, Clegg found himself pressured both by elements in his Party, who wanted him to step aside for someone more willing for the job, and himself, struggling under the stress of job and what effect it was having on his health and his marriage. After the 2016 Local Elections, which saw a sharp drop in Liberal Council Seats, he saw an opening. Meeting with the Queen, the surprise Prime Minister resigned, and left Downing Street to depart into the history books.

2- The ascension of Foreign Secretary Tim Farron was not entirely unexpected. Since the revelation of Clegg's crisis of faith, the Party turned its eyes on a number of potential candidates to succeed the soon-to-be departing Prime Minister. The strongest candidates were in the Great Offices of State, Chancellor Vince Cable, Home Secretary Lynne Featherstone, and Farron; Cable declined, citing that he has no interest in the Leadership at present, whilst Featherstone would be dogged by a number of gaffes and the ongoing violence in Northern Ireland. Farron could have walked it, but instead faced strong resistance from lower ministerial ranks, particularly with the Health Secretary Norman Lamb. Positioning himself on the Left, Farron had support in the grassroots and was able to use the moral outrage against the Islamic State and the support for intervention in Syria to his advantage, aggravating Lamb's more dovish instincts in an effort to make seem unsuitable for the Premiership in the ongoing international crisis. Farron would come under sharp criticism for his tightlipped views on homosexuality and abortion, notably telling an interviewer that "my record speaks for itself" when asked of his views, which backfired when the interviewer bought up his mixed history on LGBT rights. Still, he would subsequently win a narrow victory over Lamb, who was himself caught in a gaffe surrounding immigration control (which led to a particularly cutting rendition of 'Golden Brown').

Upon entering office, the former Lecturer made his position clear; he would continue his predecessors programs, but also to go further beyond. Laying out a broad program of education and health care reforms, a coherent environmental policy, a strong British presence overseas in both a combat and humanitarian capacity, and further devolution to Provincial levels, Farron is set to be productive. However, he has a perhaps larger goal in mind, one pertaining to constitution reform. It is expected that, at the Queens Speech, the Government will introduce a two prong plan to radically transform Britain; an elected Lords, and a rerun of Electoral Reform, but this time on the grounds of either STV or MMP.

Only time will tell if he can succeed.

365 {↑308}- 40.8% {↑17.8%}- Nick Clegg, Liberal Democrats
{046}- 30.1% {↑01.1%}- Ed Miliband, Labour
{↑044}- 04.9% {03.2%}- Nicola Sturgeon, SNP
{↓300}- 18.0% {↓18.1%}- David Cameron, Conservative
{-000}- 00.6% {-00.0%}- Leanne Wood, Plaid Cymru
{↓002}- 03.8% {↑00.2%}- Nigel Farage (UKIP)
{↓001}- 01.1% {↑00.2%}- Natalie Bennet (Green)
{other}- Speaker John Bercow
{Northern Irish}

(Conservatives still in the House: Theresa May (Maidenhead), Greg Hands (Chelsea and Fulham), Ranil Jayawardena (North East Hampshire))
Alien Space Bats to the rescue??

Deleted member 87099

Speaking of your Secession thread, it would be nice if you made a list in where Mondale sends troops to Alaska to make sure that Alaska remains a part of the US.

My universe head canon is that Mondale initially sent a fairly large mission to land in and retake Juneau but it failed on a level that would make Operation Eagle Claw blush.

But I'll get right on making a list about if the military venture succeeded.

lyndons_lyndon - List of Prime Ministers of New Zealand
List of Prime Ministers of New Zealand
1975 - 1984: Robert Muldoon (National)

1984 - 1989:
David Lange (Labour)
  • 1989 - 1990: Geoffrey Palmer
  • 1990 - 1990: Mike Moore
1990 - 1996: Ruth Richardson (National)
  • 1996 - 1996: Wyatt Creech (National)
1996 - 2005: Winston Peters (NZ First/Conservatives)

2005 - 2014: Jim Anderton (Alliance)
  • 2014 - present: David Cunliffe

Heliogabalus - Bandwagon
Might as well jump on the bandwagon.

1981-1985 Ronald Reagan / George Bush (Republican) [1]

def 1980 Jimmy Carter / Walter Mondale (Democratic) and John B. Anderson / Patrick Lucey (Independent)
1985-1993 Gary Hart / John Glenn (Democratic) [2]
def 1984 Ronald Reagan / George Bush (Republican)
def 1988 Paul Laxalt / Clinton Eastwood (Republican)

1993-1997 Sandra Day O'Connor / Jack Kemp (Republican) [3]
def 1992 Bill Bradley / Sam Nunn (Democratic)
1997-2001 Jerry Brown / Joe Biden (Democratic) [4]
def 1996 Sandra Day O'Connor / Jack Kemp (Republican)
2001-2001 John Ashcroft / Paul Wolfowitz (Republican) [5]
def 2000 Jerry Brown / Joe Biden (Democratic)
2001-2007 Paul Wolfowitz / Jon Kyl (Republican) [6]
def 2004 Russ Feingold / Tom Daschle (Democratic)
2009-2017 Bill Nelson / Fernando Ferrer (Democratic) [7]
def 2008 Mitt Romney / Mike DeWine (Republican) and Andrew Schlafly / Sarah Palin (Conservative)
def 2012 Joe Scarborough / Paul Ryan (Republican) and Roseanne Barr / Cynthia McKinney (Green)

2017-???? Michael Flynn / Tulsi Gabbard (Independent) [8]
def 2016 Fernando Ferrer / Bev Perdue (Democratic) and Paul Ryan / Ben Sasse (Republican)

[1]: "There were absolutely no dealings between the White House and the government of Iran."
[2]: "I seek to restore honor and dignity to the White House."
[3]: "I am infinitely grateful for the trust that the voters have put in me, and hope to spend the next eight years governing with reason and moderation."
[4]: "We need real solutions, not vague appeals to 'reason and moderation.' It's time to take America back from the corporations and the career politicians."
[5]: "After four years of mismanagement, we're finally about the bring order back to the White House."
[6]: "President Ashcroft was among those killed in the attack, the perpetrators of which we shall root out and destroy."
[7]: "Neither the left nor the right will get off my goddamn ass."
[8]: "We need a third option that accurately reflects the challenges America now faces. Namely, the threat of radical Islamic terror."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.