List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage

The Austrian Habsburgs win the War of Spanish Succession. Maria Josepha of Austria remains the Habsburg heir and marries Frederick Augustus of Saxony, who eventually becomes Emperor Frederick IV as a result. Their son, Fredrick Christian, consequently inherits Austria, Saxony, Bohemia, Spain, Hungary and Poland-Lithuania.

Holy Roman Emperors
1745 - 1763: Frederick IV, m. Maria Josepha of Austria
1763 - 1763: Frederick V, m. Maria Antonia of Bavaria

(Following the War of Bavarian Succession, Emperor Frederick VI, whose mother was the eldest sister of the previous Elector of Bavaria, adds the electorate to the Wettin domains, becoming the sole Imperial Vicar of the Holy Roman Empire.)

1763 - 1806: Frederick VI, m. Amalie of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld

Idk what happens following the HRE's dissolution (if it is dissolved). Napoleon and Frederick Augustus III (who is Frederick VI here) will be on less friendly terms due to the lack of a need for Frederick to restore Poland as a French client state. Does the Wettin monarchy find itself eaten on two fronts by France and Russia?

On the other hand, if the Wettins lost Poland to a partition (or partitions) by Russia and Prussia, an alliance between Napoleon and Frederick to help Frederick regain Poland that develops into long-term one might be possible. Does Napoleon stay in power then?
The HRE is not dissolved. Napoleon becomes Holy Roman Emperor. He weds Frederick VI's daughter (who was unwed IOTL).

1806 - ????: Napoleon I, m. Maria Augusta of Saxony

Elector of Saxony (also Archduke of Austria, Elector of Bavaria, King of Bohemia, King of Spain, King of Hungary, King of Croatia, King of Poland & Grand Duke of Lithuania)
1763 - 1827: Frederick Augustus III (formerly Emperor Frederick VI)
1827 - 1836: Anthony I
1836 - 1854: Frederick Augustus IV
1854 - 1873: John II
1873 - 1902: Albert V
1902 - 1904: George I
1904 - 1932: Frederick Augustus V
1932 - 1968: Frederick Christian II
1968 - 2012: Maria Emanuel I

Last edited:
Maria Josepha of Austria remains the Habsburg heir and marries Frederick Augustus of Saxony, who eventually becomes Emperor Frederick IV as a result. Their son, Fredrick Christian, consequently inherits Austria, Saxony, Bohemia, Hungary and Poland. Joseph of House Lorraine, son of Maria Theresa, inheritted Bavaria with Wettin support.
Holy Roman Emperors
1806 - 1815: Napoleon I, m. Maria Augusta of Saxony
1806 - ????: Napoleon II

Idk what happens following the HRE's dissolution (if it is dissolved). Napoleon and Frederick Augustus III (who is Frederick VI here) will be on less friendly terms due to the lack of a need for Frederick to restore Poland as a French client state. Does the Wettin monarchy find itself eaten on two fronts by France and Russia?

On the other hand, if the Wettins lost Poland to a partition (or partitions) by Russia and Prussia, an alliance between Napoleon and Frederick to help Frederick regain Poland that develops into long-term one might be possible. Does Napoleon stay in power then?
If Maria Josepha remain the Habsburg heiress she and her younger sister will switch matches and Maria Theresia will NOT marry Francis Stephen

That's no longer relevant. Look again.

They're cousins.
I was not talking about Maria Theresa, but Maria Amalia, Josepha’s younger sister who married the Elector of Bavaria, later Emperor Charles VII… if Josepha remain the heiress she will marry the Elector of Bavaria, who had Habsburg blood and Amalia the elector of Saxony, while Maria Theresa will most likely marry Charles of Bourbon

Last edited:
I was not talking about Maria Theresa, but Maria Amalia, Josepha’s younger sister who married the Elector of Bavaria, later Emperor Charles VII… if Josepha remain the heiress she will marry the Elector of Bavaria, who had Habsburg blood and Josepha the elector of Saxony, while Maria Theresa will most likely marry Charles of Bourbon
Damn it. Although, I wasn't keen on coming up with fictional rulers so it wouldn't have made a difference.
Maria Josepha of Austria remains the Habsburg heir and marries Frederick Augustus of Saxony, who eventually becomes Emperor Frederick IV as a result. Their son, Fredrick Christian, consequently inherits Austria, Saxony, Bohemia, Hungary and Poland.

Holy Roman Emperors

(Following the War of Bavarian Succession, Emperor Frederick VI, whose mother was the eldest sister of the previous Elector of Bavaria, adds the electorate to the Wettin domains, becoming the sole Imperial Vicar of the Holy Roman Empire.)

The HRE is not dissolved. Napoleon becomes Holy Roman Emperor. He weds Frederick VI's daughter (who was unwed IOTL).

1806 - 1814: Napoleon I, m. Maria Augusta of Saxony
1814 - ????: Napoleon II

Elector of Saxony (also Archduke of Austria, Elector of Bavaria, King of Bohemia King of Poland, King of Hungary & King of Croatia)
1763 - 1827: Frederick Augustus III (formerly Emperor Frederick VI)
1827 - 1836: Anthony I
1836 - 1854: Frederick Augustus IV
1854 - 1873: John II
1873 - 1902: Albert V
1902 - 1904: George I
1904 - 1932: Frederick Augustus V
1932 - 1968: Frederick Christian II
1968 - 2012: Maria Emanuel I
Shit. I missed the opportunity to include the Spainish Empire in the Wettin domains due to the Austrian Habsburgs winning the War of Spanish Succession. Frederick VI's mega-empire would surpass Charles V's.
I'm changing that now.

Last edited:
Damn it. Although, I wasn't keen on coming up with fictional rulers so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Shit. I missed the opportunity to include the Spainish Empire in the Wettin domains due to the Austrian Habsburgs winning the War of Spanish Succession. Frederick VI's mega-empire would surpass Charles V's.
I'm changing that now.
That empire wouldn’t be allowed to stand.

WI Anne Neville died giving birth to Richard III's daughter

Richard III m. Anne Neville

1. Anne b. 1485 m. Arthur Tudor b. 1486 d. 1502
- Anne I of England b. 1502 m. Charles IV of Savoy b. 1502 [1]
- Cecily b. 1502 m. Charles V b. 1500

[1] The son of Charles III of Savoy and Katherine of Aragon ITTL
EDIT: I did NOT realize the original version would've been a gay power couple ruling over England and Savoy. That will teach me to type while sleepy.

Last edited:
WI Anne Neville died giving birth to Richard III's daughter

Richard III m. Anne Neville

1. Anne b. 1485 m. Arthur Tudor b. 1486 d. 1502
- Arthur II of England b. 1502 m. Charles IV of Savoy b. 1502 [1]
- Cecily b. 1502 m. Charles V b. 1500

[1] The son of Charles III of Savoy and Katherine of Aragon ITTL
Look, I support same sex marriage but this is a bit much!

WI: The many daughters of Henry VIII of England.

Henry VIII of England (1491-1547) m. Catherine of Aragon (1485-1536) -annulled 1533- m. Anne Boleyn (1501-1536) m. Jane Seymour (1508-1537) m. Kathryn Howard (1523-1568)

1a. Stillborn Daughter (1510)

2a. Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511)

3a. Stillborn Son (1513)

4a. Stillborn Son (1514)

5a. Mary I of England (1516-1558) m. Philip II of Spain (1527-)

1a. Philip, Prince of Wales (1548-1556)​

2a. Stillborn Daughter (1550)​

3a. Henry, Duke of York (1552-1555)​

4a. Catherine I of England (1553-)​

5a. Mary of England (1555-1556)​

6a. Margaret of England (1518-1572) m. Luis, Duke of Beja (1506-1555)

1a. Stillborn Son (1551)​

2a. Maria, Duchess of Beja (1553-)​

3a. Catalina of Beja (1555-)​

7b. Elizabeth of England (1533-1603) [1]
  • never married, had no issue
8b. Miscarried Son (1534)

9b. Anne of England (1536-1539)

10c. Stillborn Son (1537)

12d. Henry, Prince of Wales (1541-1546)

13d. Cecily of England (1542-1609) m. Francis II of France (1544-1568) [2]

1a. Francis III of France (1560-)​

2a. Catherine of France (1561-)​

3a. Henri, Duke of Berry (1564-1567)​

4a. Elisabeth of France (1568-1577)​

[1] In Henry VIII’s will, Elizabeth is named successor, as she is legitimate here because he mother dies in childbirth instead of execution. Mary, Margaret, and their forces manage to overtake London, which is under control of Dowager Queen Kathryn. Kathryn flees to France with her stepdaughter and daughter, abandoning England. The soldiers of London become disillusioned and surrender to Mary.

[2] In France, Princess Cecily, beautiful and regal, is betrothed to young Dauphin Francis, who has better heath than in OTL. An eventual invasion of England is promised to the furious Kathryn and the ambitious Elizabeth. This, of course, never comes. Kathryn marries a minor Baron and has seven more children, while Cecily finds happiness in a grand court as Dauphine and later as regent for her son. Elizabeth never marries, always waiting for the English reconquest that will never come. She dies, bitter and depressed, in France.

[1] In Henry VIII’s will, Elizabeth is named successor, as she is legitimate here because he mother dies in childbirth instead of execution. Mary, Margaret, and their forces manage to overtake London, which is under control of Dowager Queen Kathryn. Kathryn flees to France with her stepdaughter and daughter, abandoning England. The soldiers of London become disillusioned and surrender to Mary.

[2] In France, Princess Cecily, beautiful and regal, is betrothed to young Dauphin Francis, who has better heath than in OTL. An eventual invasion of England is promised to the furious Kathryn and the ambitious Elizabeth. This, of course, never comes. Kathryn marries a minor Baron and has seven more children, while Cecily finds happiness in a grand court as Dauphine and later as regent for her son. Elizabeth never marries, always waiting for the English reconquest that will never come. She dies, bitter and depressed, in France.
I have questions.
1) If Mary and Margaret are illegitimate, how are they married off? And why is ANYONE supporting Elizabeth over Mary and Margaret with their impeccable royal bloodline and connections, if the older two girls are married with children? Unless they marry after their father dies? In which case, why are Philip and Luis content to marry bastards?
2) Why does he marry Katherine Howard? He did so IOTL due to a mid-life crisis stemming from Anne of Cleves' rejection, this never happens ITTL
3) Why does Katherine flee to France of all places?
4) Why is there no match for Elizabeth? Even IOTL as a bastard, she had suitors. Did she reject them all? But why? She wouldn't have the fear of marriage that she had IOTL, what with the executions of her mother and cousin being butterflied away and all.
5) Could the dukedom of Beja even be inherited by women? It's not Viseu, I'm also NOT sure about Portuguese dukedoms, just curious here.
6) Going back to question 1 - was Henry trying to push away his oldest daughters by marrying them abroad so they couldn't seize the throne? Because if so, that MASSIVELY backfired (and serves him right)
7) If Cecily marries Francis, what happens to MQOS and the Auld Alliance?
8) Why does Katherine give a shit about who is the queen of England? Her daughter was never going to inherit, she can't rule as regent anyway because all of them are of age, and why exactly is France humoring them with a possible re-conquest?

WIP as always
POD is Isabella of Castile and her son Juan dying in 1490 with Fernando remarrying to Juana, la Beltraneja for keeping control of Castile

Ferdinand II, King of Aragon (1452-1518) married a) Isabella, Queen of Castile (1451-1490) in 1469 b) Juana, Queen of Castile (b. 1462) in 1491
  1. a) Isabella (b.1470) married Alfonso VI, King of Portugal (b. 1475) in 1490 with issue
  2. a) miscarried son (1475)
  3. a) John, Prince of Asturias and Girona (1478-1490)
  4. a) Joanna (b.1479) married Philip IV, Duke of Burgundy (b. 1478) with issue
  5. a) Maria (b.1482) married ?
  6. a) stillborn girl (1482) twin of Maria
  7. a) Catherine (b. 1485) married Arthur, Prince of Wales (b. 1485)
  8. b) Eleanor (b. 1492) married ?
  9. b) John III, King of Spain (b. 1494) married ?
  10. b) Ferdinand (b. 1497) married ?

I have questions.
1) If Mary and Margaret are illegitimate, how are they married off? And why is ANYONE supporting Elizabeth over Mary and Margaret with their impeccable royal bloodline and connections, if the older two girls are married with children? Unless they marry after their father dies? In which case, why are Philip and Luis content to marry bastards?
2) Why does he marry Katherine Howard? He did so IOTL due to a mid-life crisis stemming from Anne of Cleves' rejection, this never happens ITTL
3) Why does Katherine flee to France of all places?
4) Why is there no match for Elizabeth? Even IOTL as a bastard, she had suitors. Did she reject them all? But why? She wouldn't have the fear of marriage that she had IOTL, what with the executions of her mother and cousin being butterflied away and all.
5) Could the dukedom of Beja even be inherited by women? It's not Viseu, I'm also NOT sure about Portuguese dukedoms, just curious here.
6) Going back to question 1 - was Henry trying to push away his oldest daughters by marrying them abroad so they couldn't seize the throne? Because if so, that MASSIVELY backfired (and serves him right)
7) If Cecily marries Francis, what happens to MQOS and the Auld Alliance?
8) Why does Katherine give a shit about who is the queen of England? Her daughter was never going to inherit, she can't rule as regent anyway because all of them are of age, and why exactly is France humoring them with a possible re-conquest?
1. They are marrying after their fathers death. Mary is supported because, skipping the reign of Edward VI, much more of England is Catholic. Catholic Europe never considered Mary to be illegitimate, so there would be no reason why the two could not marry.
2. Kathryn is still presented to him at court, and he decides to skip the whole political marriage to marry his “love”.
3. Scotland is supporting Mary, and the Habsburg lands are a big no-no. So France is all that is left, really. I also think France would want to have a card to play against the Hapsburgs (Elizabeth and Cecily).
4. Yes, she rejects them all. She promises herself to not marry until she is Queen. Her refusal could also be chalked up to snobbishness.
5. Frankly, it’s irrelevant, the King of Portugal could have easily gifted it to Maria of Beja.
6. Question irrelevant, as both married after Mary was Queen.
7. Mary is not that important here, since both her elder brothers survive.
8. I think Kathryn, who seemed to be somewhat naive, came under the influence of Protestants, and converted. She does not want England Catholic, and expected to be Elizabeth’s regent. Kathryn seems to have been genuinely fond of Elizabeth, and would have rather had her as Queen over Mary, whom she disliked. France never actually intends to invade England, only use Elizabeth and Cecily and bargaining chips.

PODs:

-Sigismund the Old has a son with Barbara Zapolya

-Ferdinand Habsburg and his wife Anna Jagiellon die from some plague before 1526

Thus after Mohacs line of Vladislaus II rex bene is gone and his closest living relatives are Polish-Lithuanian Jagiellons. Czechs and Hungarians, in absence of male line heirs of Vladislaus, can elect whom they want, but it is Sigismund's son, who gets the throne in the end, because:

-In absence of Austrian candidate Polish one gives hope for some Polish support against Ottomans.

-Janos Zapolya, brother of Barbara, supports his candidature. Being power behind the throne of young nephew is safer option that directly claiming the crown. Other magnates would accept it easier than elevating one of themselves above others.

-Bona Sforza would want her step-son out of the country (so her own son would get Poland and Lithuania) and would urge Sigismund to claim Bohemia and Hungary for older son.

Sigismund I (1467-1548) Grand Duke of Lithuania, King of Poland, m. a) Barbara Zapolya (ca. 1490-1515) b) Bona Sforza (1494-1564)

1a) Vladislaus III (1513-1566) King of Bohemia and Hungary 1526, m. Margaret of Brandenburg (1511-1577)

2a) Hedwig (1515-1520)

3b) Isabella (1519-1559) m. Charles (1522-1558) Duke of Orléans [1]

4b) Sigismund II (1520-1572) Grand Duke of Lithuania, King of Poland 1548, m. Dorothea of Denmark (1520-1580)

5b) Hedwig (1522-1576) m. Severinus (1522-1563) Duke of Saxony

6b) Anna (1523-1596) m. Charles Victor (1525-1577) Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel

7b) Sophia (1526-1583) m. Ferdinand (1529-1588) Holy Roman Emperor [2]

8b) Albert (1527-1581) Duke of Bari and Rossano, m. Anna d'Este (1531-1607)

[1] Does not die from plague ITTL

[2] Second son of HRE Charles V and Isabella of Portugal, succeeded him on Imperial throne and inherited Austria and Burgundy.

1. They are marrying after their fathers death. Mary is supported because, skipping the reign of Edward VI, much more of England is Catholic. Catholic Europe never considered Mary to be illegitimate, so there would be no reason why the two could not marry.
2. Kathryn is still presented to him at court, and he decides to skip the whole political marriage to marry his “love”.
3. Scotland is supporting Mary, and the Habsburg lands are a big no-no. So France is all that is left, really. I also think France would want to have a card to play against the Hapsburgs (Elizabeth and Cecily).
4. Yes, she rejects them all. She promises herself to not marry until she is Queen. Her refusal could also be chalked up to snobbishness.
5. Frankly, it’s irrelevant, the King of Portugal could have easily gifted it to Maria of Beja.
6. Question irrelevant, as both married after Mary was Queen.
7. Mary is not that important here, since both her elder brothers survive.
8. I think Kathryn, who seemed to be somewhat naive, came under the influence of Protestants, and converted. She does not want England Catholic, and expected to be Elizabeth’s regent. Kathryn seems to have been genuinely fond of Elizabeth, and would have rather had her as Queen over Mary, whom she disliked. France never actually intends to invade England, only use Elizabeth and Cecily and bargaining chips.
Got it. (Wait - why is Scotland supporting Mary?)

The many sisters of Edward VI - my version
NOTE: Only surviving children are included, miscarriages and stillborns are excluded but they still happened. Katherine of Aragon, Eleanor of Austria, and Jane Seymour died in childbirth whereas Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard both agreed to an annulment on the basis of consanguinity (in Anne's case - her sister Mary; in Katherine's case - her cousins Anne AND Mary), keeping their daughters legitimate in good faith. Katherine Parr still outlives him and remarries Thomas Seymour as dowager queen. After Edward's death, an almighty war is going to break out.

Henry VIII (1491-1547) m. 1509 Katherine of Aragon (1485-1518) [a] m. 1518 Eleanor of Austria (1498-1524) m. 1525 Anne Boleyn (1507-1536) [c] m. 1536 Jane Seymour (1508-1537) [d] m. 1540 Katherine Howard (1523-1541) [e] m. Katherine Parr (1512-1548) [f]

1a. Katherine b. 1510 d. 1533 m. 1525 John III of Portugal b. 1502 d. 1557 with issue
2a. Mary b. 1516 d. 1558 m. 1533 m. Francis of France b. 1518 d. 1536 without issue [a] m. Philip of Palatinate-Neuburg b. 1503 d. 1548 with issue
3a. Margaret b. 1518 d. 1518 never married and no issue
4b. Eleanor b. 1519 d. 1526 never married and no issue
5b. Joanna b. 1522 m. 1539 Sigismund II Augustus b. 1520 no issue
6b. Cecily b. 1524 m. 1540 Charles of Orleans b. 1522 d. 1545 without surviving issue
7c. Elizabeth b. 1525 d. 1603 never married and no issue
8c. Anne b. 1528 m. Maximilian II b. 1527 with issue
9c. Jacquetta b. 1531 m. Emmanuel Philibert of Savoy b. 1528 with issue
10c. Bridget b. 1532 became nun
11d. Edward VI b. 1537 d. 1553 never married and no issue
12e. Joyce b. 1541 m. Charles Brandon 3rd Duke of Suffolk b. 1537 without surviving issue
- no issue with Katherine Parr -

Last edited:
WIP as always
POD is Isabella of Castile and her son Juan dying in 1491 with Fernando remarrying to Bianca Maria Sforza for preventing Aragorn from being inherited by his Portuguese enemies

Ferdinand II, King of Aragon (1452-1518) married a) Isabella I, Queen of Castile (1451-1491) in 1469 b) Bianca Maria Sforza (b. 1472) in 1492
  1. a) Isabella II, Queen of Castile (1470-1496) married Alfonso VI, King of Portugal (b. 1475) in 1490 with issue
  4. a) Joanna (b.1479) married Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459) with issue
  5. a) Maria (b.1482) married Vladislaus II, King of Hungary and Bohemia (b. 1456) with issue
  8. b) John III, King of Aragon (b. 1493) married Isabella III, Queen of Castile (b. 1492) with issue
  9. b) Ferdinand III, King of Naples (b. 1494) married Giulia of Aragon, Princess of Taranto and Duchess of Andria (b. 1492)
  10. b) Blanche (b. 1496) married Ercole Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan (b. 1493)
  11. b) Eleanor (b. 1498) married Charles II, Duke of Burgundy and Savoy (b. 1498)*
  12. b) Beatriz (b. 1499) married John III, King of Portugal (b. 1498)**

*Charles is son of Margaret of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy and her husband Philibert II, Duke of Savoy
**John is son of Alfonso VI and his second wife Joanna of Aragon-Naples, niece of Ferdinand II

WIP as always
POD is Isabella of Castile and her son Juan dying in 1491 with Fernando remarrying to Bianca Maria Sforza for preventing Aragorn from being inherited by his Portuguese enemies

Ferdinand II, King of Aragon (1452-1518) married a) Isabella I, Queen of Castile (1451-1491) in 1469 b) Bianca Maria Sforza (b. 1472) in 1492
  1. a) Isabella II, Queen of Castile (1470-1496) married Alfonso VI, King of Portugal (b. 1475) in 1490 with issue
  4. a) Joanna (b.1479) married Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459) with issue
  5. a) Maria (b.1482) married Vladislaus II, King of Hungary and Bohemia (b. 1456) with issue
  8. b) John III, King of Aragon (b. 1493) married Isabella III, Queen of Castile (b. 1492) with issue
  9. b) Ferdinand III, King of Naples (b. 1494) married Giulia of Aragon, Princess of Taranto and Duchess of Andria (b. 1492)
  10. b) Blanche (b. 1496) married Ercole Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan (b. 1493)
  11. b) Eleanor (b. 1498) married Charles II, Duke of Burgundy and Savoy (b. 1498)*
  12. b) Beatriz (b. 1499) married John III, King of Portugal (b. 1498)**

*Charles is son of Margaret of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy and her husband Philibert II, Duke of Savoy
**John is son of Alfonso VI and his second wife Joanna of Aragon-Naples, niece of Ferdinand II
Margaret inheriting Burgundy and getting kids with philibert? Maria in Bohemia and Hungary? Surviving Sforza Milan? I love it!