List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage

It was Isabella who pushed it in otl. Maybe Anne would serve better, either works really, though a Maria would bring a large dowry with her.

Because he wants more land for his son. It’s not the weirdest PU ever, Spain held onto the Netherlands for a long period of time and it’s be easier to govern then Charles V’s behemoth of an Empire. I mean Austria-Burgundy worked while it existed.
No what I mean is once/if Richard gets back from France he'll set his sights back on Scotland, and it's not gonna be pretty. But it's your tree so upto you.

Ehh, surely TTL Richard IV of all people would know that dividing up inheritance is the better option? His position in England (parts of France?) would've been tenuous enough to handle, an extended PU is gonna cost more than it gives, the monarch's position wouldn't be too good in either nation. But we'd best agree to disagree.

I agree, they probably couldn't reach as high as Eddie's daughters could but they'll serve as decent proxies, especially if Richard marries them to French dukes to turn some people to his side when he invades France.
Oh i can definitely see elizabeth de la pole marrying a francis ii who doesn't die...would be interesting to see if she can manage a son.
It was Isabella who pushed it in otl. Maybe Anne would serve better, either works really, though a Maria would bring a large dowry with her.
Anne died in 1495 IOTL and that was without bearing any children (she was a nun) so you could always have Anne die early and then Ferdinand and Isabella decide against sending Maria to Poland or Naples so she goes to Scotland.
Because he wants more land for his son. It’s not the weirdest PU ever, Spain held onto the Netherlands for a long period of time and it’s be easier to govern then Charles V’s behemoth of an Empire. I mean Austria-Burgundy worked while it existed.
Spain and the netherlands were only in pu because there wasn't a second son to take over...if philip ii or philip iii had had surviving brothers, then one of those brothers would've gotten the low countries.

POD: Edward IV marries Bona of Savoy.

Edward IV of England (1442-1483) m. Bona of Savoy (1449-1503)
  • Princess Anne (1464 -1477)
  • Princess Cecily (1465-1466)
  • Cecily of England (1467-1522) m. Maximillian I Holy Roman Emperor (1459-1519) with issue.
  • Edward V of England (1469-1525) m. Anne of Brittany (1477-1514) with issue.
  • Richard, Duke of York and Norfolk (1471-1521) m.a. Anne de Mowbray (1472-1481) m.b Anne St. Leger (1476-1536) with issue.
  • Mary of England (1473-1523) m. Manuel I of Portugal (1469-1521) with issue.
  • Prince George (1476-1476).
  • Anne of England (1478-1528) m. John, Prince of Austrias (1478-1497) with issue [1]
  • Catherine of England (1479-1534) m. James IV King of Scotland (1473-1513) with issue.
[1] Anne gave birth to a healthy posthumous son named John.

No what I mean is once/if Richard gets back from France he'll set his sights back on Scotland, and it's not gonna be pretty. But it's your tree so upto you.

Ehh, surely TTL Richard IV of all people would know that dividing up inheritance is the better option? His position in England (parts of France?) would've been tenuous enough to handle, an extended PU is gonna cost more than it gives, the monarch's position wouldn't be too good in either nation. But we'd best agree to disagree.
Yeah, but I’d imagine it would be fairly easy. Also losing Calais doesn’t really matter here when he has Portugal’s spice trade dominance. Also I should’ve mentioned it but Richard IV is sent to Portugal from a young age so he’s a mix of Portuguese and English culture. I’d also imagine there would be a Governor for England and Portugal here, like the Lowlands had.
Oh i can definitely see elizabeth de la pole marrying a francis ii who doesn't die...would be interesting to see if she can manage a son.

Anne died in 1495 IOTL and that was without bearing any children (she was a nun) so you could always have Anne die early and then Ferdinand and Isabella decide against sending Maria to Poland or Naples so she goes to Scotland.

Spain and the netherlands were only in pu because there wasn't a second son to take over...if philip ii or philip iii had had surviving brothers, then one of those brothers would've gotten the low countries.
I think Anne dying early works well. Maria in Scotland would be fun! As for Spain and the Netherlands I suppose, but couldn’t Charles V have just given them to Ferdinand I in otl when he split up the Habsburg domains? Not exactly an expert in how the split up of that Empire went but I say it would’ve been easy enough to do.

Yeah, but I’d imagine it would be fairly easy. Also losing Calais doesn’t really matter here when he has Portugal’s spice trade dominance. Also I should’ve mentioned it but Richard IV is sent to Portugal from a young age so he’s a mix of Portuguese and English culture. I’d also imagine there would be a Governor for England and Portugal here, like the Lowlands had.

I think Anne dying early works well. Maria in Scotland would be fun! As for Spain and the Netherlands I suppose, but couldn’t Charles V have just given them to Ferdinand I in otl when he split up the Habsburg domains? Not exactly an expert in how the split up of that Empire went but I say it would’ve been easy enough to do.
The OTL split is always way exaggerated as it happened well before the abdication of Charles V (who personally held only Spain (Castile, Aragon + colonies), Sardinia and maybe Sicily at the time of the abdication and left everything to Philip). Charles was long undecided about what doing with Burgundian inheritance, and is unlikely who Philip will receive them without marrying Mary Tudor (in that case they would go to Maria, Charles’s elder daughter, who was married to Ferdinand‘s heir and would remain to Austria if one of their sons had issues)

The OTL split is always way exaggerated as it happened well before the abdication of Charles V (who personally held only Spain (Castile, Aragon + colonies), Sardinia and maybe Sicily at the time of the abdication and left everything to Philip). Charles was long undecided about what doing with Burgundian inheritance, and is unlikely who Philip will receive them without marrying Mary Tudor (in that case they would go to Maria, Charles’s elder daughter, who was married to Ferdinand‘s heir and would remain to Austria if one of their sons had issues)
Oh I see. So I suppose the Anglo-Portuguese Union not splitting is a bit of a stretch then?

[3] Alt son of James IV. Haven't came up with an idea for a Mother though.
Anne de la Pole? Richard III apparently considered sending her north as a proxy bride.
Charlotte of Naples is another option. She was in France and there was talk of her marrying James IV's brother.
IIRC Anne de Foix-Candale was another French proxy bride offered.

Fwiw prince afonso's death is easily butterflied...especially in a scenario where the prince of wales stands to inherit portugal if afonso dies without children. it was certainly rumored that fernando was responsible for afonso's 'accident' and i wouldn't put it past him.
AIUI its more than a rumour. Although its one of those cases where you know the murderer's guilty, but there's no evidence to back up that they ACTUALLY pulled the trigger

Anne de la Pole? Richard III apparently considered sending her north as a proxy bride.
Charlotte of Naples is another option. She was in France and there was talk of her marrying James IV's brother.
IIRC Anne de Foix-Candale was another French proxy bride offered.
What about Maria of Aragon, since there is no Manuel for her to marry?

AIUI its more than a rumour. Although its one of those cases where you know the murderer's guilty, but there's no evidence to back up that they ACTUALLY pulled the trigger
I am literally imagining a legal drama show, where Ferdinand goes to court with John II and literally everyone giving their reasoning as to why they think he did, the court listens to Ferdinand speak and can tell he did but there’s no proper evidence so despite everyone knowing he did they have to let him go. XD

What about Maria of Aragon, since there is no Manuel for her to marry?
Not very likely IMO. Mostly because of the location and the fact that if England is allied, Scotland is a waste of an alliance. There was a reason Fernando didn't want to send his own daughter to Scotland but instead dispose of the (now) useless (to him) Margarethe of Austria. Not only would he not have to pay the dowry, but it would get her out of his court (FWIG she was a painful reminder to her parents-in-law). Scotland (as shown by Mary, QoS) is only valuable when England is off the table (its no coincidence that the only generation of pre-union Stewart princesses to marry abroad were a generation when England had no princesses available).

Likelier match for Maria would be Vlad II of Hungary (to replace the divorced Beatrice of Naples). Hungary was at least rich (ISTR it was responsible for mining most of the gold in circulation in Europe pre-Americas) and provides a nice little "distraction" to keep Maximilian occupied (if need be)

Likelier match for Maria would be Vlad II of Hungary (to replace the divorced Beatrice of Naples). Hungary was at least rich (ISTR it was responsible for mining most of the gold in circulation in Europe pre-Americas) and provides a nice little "distraction" to keep Maximilian occupied (if need be)
I see, so really for Maria it’s going to be Poland or Hungary where she gets her husband.

Well Maria could possibly wed to a Duke of Savoy if he's available, considering that it's probably more useful as an ally against the French than Scotland, Poland or Hungary. She could also possibly be wed as a third or fourth wife to Maximillian, the Holy Roman Emperor..

Last edited:
Maria Amalie is likelier to get Joseph II or his brother Karl, as a marriage partner should Joseph's first wife still die
Ah, that makes sense. She would definitely be preferable to her aunt.
And TTL Louis XVI being the son of the dauphin and Maria Teresa Rafaela of Spain means that Maria Antonia of Spain might end up in Dresden rather than Turin
Hmm, interesting. Could mme adélaïde go to turin instead then?
And even if dauphine LIVES and Louis XVI is NOT an only child, a sister of his will wind up in Dresden
So you think that Friedrich August would marry a French princess rather than Henriette Christine?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out here...POD is the survival of Henry Frederick Stuart.

HOUSE OF STUART
James I/VI Stuart, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1566, d. 1625) m. Anne of Denmark (b. 1574, d. 1619) in 1589, had issue
1) Henry IX Frederick Stuart, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1594, d. 1659) m. Elisabeth of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1595, d. 1647) in 1614, had issue​
2) Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia (b. 1596, d. 1662) m. Frederick V, Elector Palatine (b. ?) in 1613, had issue​
3) Margaret Stuart (b. 1598, d. 1600)​
4) Charles Stuart, Duke of York and Albany (b. 1600, d. 1666) m. Charlotte de La Trémoille (b. 1599, d. ?) in 1625, had issue​
5) Robert Stuart, Duke of Kintyre (b. and d. 1602)​
6) Mary Stuart (b. 1605, d. 1607)​
7) Sophia Stuart (b. and d. 1606)​
An expansion of this lineage...

James I/VI Stuart, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1566, d. 1625) m. Anne of Denmark (b. 1574, d. 1619) in 1589, had issue
1) Henry IX Frederick Stuart, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1594, d. 1656) m. Elisabeth of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1595, d. 1647) in 1614, had issue​
1) James Stuart (b. 1616, d. 1618)​
2) Robert I Stuart, King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1617) m. Elisabeth of the Palatinate (b. 1618)​
3) Elizabeth Stuart (b. 1619, d. 1622)​
4) Charles Stuart, Duke of Clarence and Ross (b. 1621) m. Countess Palatine Eleonora Catharina of Zweibrücken (b. 1626)​
5) Anne Stuart, Queen of Sweden (b. 1623) m. Charles X Gustav of Sweden (b. 1621)​
6) Maurice Stuart, Duke of Gloucester and Hamilton (b. 1625) m. Anne Hamilton, 3rd Duchess of Hamilton (b. 1632)​
7) Charlotte Stuart (b. 1628, d. 1629)​
2) Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia (b. 1596, d. 1662) m. Frederick V, Elector Palatine (b. 1596, d. ?) in 1613, had issue​
Issue as IOTL (so far)​
3) Margaret Stuart (b. 1598, d. 1600)​
4) Charles Stuart, Duke of York and Albany (b. 1600, d. ?) m. Charlotte de La Trémoille (b. 1599, d. ?) in 1625, had issue​
1) Elizabeth Stuart, Princess of Orange (b. 1627) m. William II, Prince of Orange (b. 1626)​
2) Charles Stuart, Duke of Cambridge (b. 1628, d. 1633)​
3) James Stuart, Duke of Kendal (b. 1631, d. 1633)​
4) Henry Stuart, Duke of Cambridge (b. 1634, d. 1637)​
5) Charlotte Mary Stuart (b. 1636, d. 1644)​
6) Edward Stuart, Duke of Cambridge (b. 1638, d. 1649)​
7) Amelia Ann Sophia Stuart, Duchess of Orléans (b. 1639) m. Charles Philippe of France, Duke of Orléans (b. 1631)​
5) Robert Stuart, Duke of Kintyre (b. and d. 1602)​
6) Mary Stuart (b. 1605, d. 1607)​
7) Sophia Stuart (b. and d. 1606)​

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. Could mme adélaïde go to turin instead then?
More likely is simply Maria Anna of Saxony (OTL Electress of Bavaria). Savoy was in the Habsburg-adjacent camp until the 1750s. With Henriette unavailable, Adélaïde might be offered as a second wife to Fernando VI (as Henriette was pushed OTL by her sister, Louise Élisabeth, but Queen Barbara took too long to die and Fernando didn't live long enough to recover from her death).
So you think that Friedrich August would marry a French princess rather than Henriette Christine?
It had more to do with their Polish blood than anything else. OTL Maria Josepha of Austria, Friedrich August' paternal grandmother, prevented her oldest son and his wife from setting foot in Poland and building up a client base there (she wanted her second son,Xavier to succeed as king of Poland). Its why Friedrich Christian (Friedrich August' dad) was never able to be elected king of Poland in his 74-day reign. A French match had the blood of a still living (if disputed) king of Poland (Stanislas Leszczynski), and is a powerful ally. A half-Polish, half-French wife can (sort of) give Friedrich August an edge. But the big thing would be would be to stop Friedrich Christian dying before being elected, or his brother refusing the crown, thus allowing Poniatowski a foot in the door