List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage II

Another possible tree I'm toying with for Titulus:

Henry IX of England (b.1521) m. 1541 Margaret of Austria (b.1522)

1) Henry, Prince of Wales (b.1542)
2) Margaret (b.1544)
3) William, Duke of Pembroke (b.1545)
4) Elizabeth (1547-1551)
5) Charles, Duke of Richmond (1549-1551)
6) Joanna (b.1552)
7) Alexander, Duke of Richmond (b.1554)
8) Stillborn girl (1555)
9) Mary (1557-1562)
If Henry is made Prince of Wales (as he should) Christine of Denmark or Maria of Viseu are far likelier matches for him in my opinion. An alternative could be Catherine de’ Medici if the Pope who legitimised Henry is from her family

If Henry is made Prince of Wales (as he should) Christine of Denmark or Maria of Viseu are far likelier matches for him in my opinion. An alternative could be Catherine de’ Medici if the Pope who legitimised Henry is from her family
I agree, but I was thinking of it being a love match :)

I suppose it would stroke Henry’s deeply wounded, nutless ego to go on a holy war, but I’m unsure if I completely buy it
why is everyone calling it ASB? there was a proposal of Fitzroy marrying Margarethe of Austria OTL, and it wasn't required he be made "prince of Wales" for it to go through? It's no less ASB than Henry genuinely wanting Fitzroy to marry one of François I's daughters.

Henry VIII, King of England [from 1509] (b.1491) 1m: 1509 Catalina of Aragon (1485-1518); 2m: 1520 Dorothea of Denmark [1] (b.1504)

[1m.] Stillborn Daughter (1510)​
[1m.] Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511)​
[1m.] Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1513)​
[1m.] Stillborn Son (1514)​
[1m.] Mary (b.1516)​
[1m.] Stillborn Daughter (1518 [2])​
[2m.] Edward, Prince of Wales (b.1521)​
[2m.] Elizabeth (b.1524)​
[2m.] Dorothy (b.1526)​
[2m.] Stillborn Daughter (1528)​
[2m.] John [3], Duke of York (b.1531)​
[1] married to Henry as a French proxy bride (François I was trying to marry her to Richard de la Pole, duke of Suffolk at the time OTL)
[2] obviously Catherine of Aragon dies in childbirth with her daughter
[3] I agree that it's probably an unlikely name choice, but I don't see Henry going with "Henry" (particularly with a second son- or when he's got Henry Fitzroy bouncing around), "Edmund" (Ed Tudor wasn't royal), or "Frederick" for Dorothea's father. So John, for her grandfather, John of Gaunt, John, Duke of Bedford, John, Duke of Somerset (father of Margaret Beaufort)...take your pick.

It's not like there are many options in 1520. All of Charles V's sisters are married (or too young, in Catherine's case).
pretty much this. Not as though France would have "great" options (aside from Renée de France, and aside from François' reluctance, there'd be her age. Same for the Navarrese girls) either. Both sides would be reduced to proxies, Isabel/Beatriz of Portugal for the Habsburgs (although Isabel's refusal to wed anyone but Karl would be an issue), and Anne de Laval or Dorothea of Denmark for France. I don't see Henry accepting Anne de Laval (Neapolitan royal through her mom), at the risk of jeopardizing his relationship with his prospective son-in-law, who happens to be king of Naples, Karl V. Hence Dorothea

POD: 1511

Henry, duke of Cornwall, lives until he is 17 -- just long enough to see his sister married off to Portugal before he dies childless in a jousting accident.

Queen Mary I of England married Luís, duke of Beja, has issue:
  • Henry (1535-1541)
  • Manuel (1538-1544)
  • Alphonse (1540-1541)
  • King Henry IX of England and I of Portugal (1544-1593) married Queen Mary I of Scotland, had issue
    • King Edward VI of England, II of Portugal, and I of Scotland (born 1464) married Margaret of Austria
    • Mary (born 1465) married François, duke of Anjou, Alençon, and Brabant, count of Flanders
    • Catherine (born 1467) married Philip Howard, 5th duke of Norfolk
    • Elizabeth (born 1469) married Teodósio II, duke of Braganza
  • unnamed stillborn girl (1548)

POD: 1511

Henry, duke of Cornwall, lives until he is 17 -- just long enough to see his sister married off to Portugal before he dies childless in a jousting accident.

Queen Mary I of England married Luís, duke of Beja, has issue:
  • Henry (1535-1541)
  • Manuel (1538-1544)
  • Alphonse (1540-1541)
  • King Henry IX of England and I of Portugal (1544-1593) married Queen Mary I of Scotland, had issue
    • King Edward VI of England, II of Portugal, and I of Scotland (born 1464) married Margaret of Austria
    • Mary (born 1465) married François, duke of Anjou, Alençon, and Brabant, count of Flanders
    • Catherine (born 1467) married Philip Howard, 5th duke of Norfolk
    • Elizabeth (born 1469) married Teodósio II, duke of Braganza
  • unnamed stillborn girl (1548)
Agreed with @ordinarylittleme . A legitimate Mary will only wed a sovereign ruler.

If Mary has a living brother, the only way she'd marry Luis is if Joao died without issue and he's king. Also, she'd only be 12 in 1528 and wouldn't be married off yet. Now, if Henry either dies shortly after his son or acknowledges Mary as his heiress, then a match with Luis as a second son would make sense.

Last edited: