List of alternate Indy 500 winners 1946-2015

I don't get threads like this . . .

What do you do? Basically take the person who finished second and say "well you know they were an alternative winner"?

So I could do a list of alternative Ashes winners and it'd just be whichever team historically lost?

OK Fred, as an Andretti fan I know the what ifs. 1981, Bobby Unser's penalty for passing under the yellow stands, Mario wins. 1985 Danny Sullivan crashes during his spin, Mario wins. 1987, Mario's car trouble happens on the first lap of Milwaukee, Mario wins. 1992 Michael's car trouble happens on the first lap of Milwaukee,. Michael wins. 1993, Mario does not have tire trouble, Mario wins. 2006, Sam Hornish crashes, Marco wins. 2006, Sam Hornish and Marco crash into each other, Michael wins. There should also be some what ifs in 1965, when Mario came in third.

Last edited:
My friend and fellow race fan once teased me about the Unser's have won nine 500s and the Andretti's have won one. With my TL the score is Unser's six and Andrettis eight. Mario with six victories is the winningist drive in 500 history.