L'Invasion de la Mer -- Creation of the Sahara Sea

In 1877 Donald Mackenzie proposed the creation of a Sahara Sea. He argued that much of the desert of central Tunisia and southern Algeria was beneath sea level, so a canal dug from the Mediterranean to these places would flood them and create an inland sea, with consequent improvement to the climate both locally and in Europe.

Jules Verne's L'Invasion de la Mer (1905) discussed this idea, albeit showing it as an example of human arrogance.

Question: Suppose this canal had been dug and the desert flooded?

It would have created a small fertile coastline around the sea, imagine the a minor inland Libya. But more interesting the sea in Tunisia would likely have result in greater rainfall in the eastern Atlas Mountains. This could end with northern Tunisia and north eastern Algeria would be more fertile. But we could also potential see some permanent rivers lead back to the artificial sea, which would lead to more agriculture that way.

I think we discussed that in a past thread.

More mining and tourism opportunities in inner Tunisia, but massive expenditures as the first Chotts are above sea level contrary to what they thought

I think we discussed that in a past thread.

More mining and tourism opportunities in inner Tunisia, but massive expenditures as the first Chotts are above sea level contrary to what they thought
You could use wind mills to pump water into them. Fundamental create a kind of reverse Netherlands.

That thread was several years ago, we have I think at least a couple of new people now,who might have some new ideas.

That thread was several years ago, we have I think at least a couple of new people now,who might have some new ideas.
Oh yeah, I love this kind of subject so I'm all for it!
You could use wind mills to pump water into them. Fundamental create a kind of reverse Netherlands.
The big issue you'll have is not the feasibility but a cost/benefit analysis.

However, if you can build a business case for more arable land for colonists and easier pacification of the Saharan tribes, there could be funds assuming the economic situation in the métropole is ok

I can see it done in the 19th century. It would have been done of course to show off the "Glory that was France". Once the climate was moderated the area could have been settled from southern France. Vin de Sahara anyone?

The crocodiles of Chott El Djerid acclaim Mackenzie as their god and savior, the reverse-Sobek.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's saltwater we are talking about.
Well, they might like it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_crocodile#Distribution_and_habitat
"Although not a regular sea-going species as is the American crocodile and, especially, the saltwater crocodile, the Nile crocodile possesses salt glands like all true crocodiles (but not alligators and caimans) and does on occasion enter coastal and even marine waters. They have been known to enter the sea in some areas, with one specimen having been recorded 11 km (6.8 mi) off St. Lucia Bay in 1917."

Ferdinand de Lesseps, famed for his work on the Suez Canal, took an interest in this, but IIRC it was a rather more expensive than the initial estimates so the project stalled. Not that it was too expensive, just the French government had better uses of their money than spending it on massive internal improvements in their colonies.

It all depends how big of a Sahara Sea you want to create. Flooding just the Chott el-Djerid is good, but at most, you'd want to make canals and other links to flood the other chotts, which unlike the Chott el-Djerid, are actually below sea level. Connected, this would get you a network of canals and waterways stretching almost 400 kilometers inland, behind the Atlas Mountains. There also looks to several wadis which can be used to build a canal from the innermost sea, the Chott Melhrir, to Biskra, the nearest major city (although a major city would no doubt spring up on the innermost shore of the sea).

The effect is massive. Much better transportation, the creation of new fishing towns and new ports hundreds of kilometers inland. A slightly wetter climate, which will allow wadis to become permanent streams, reduce the demand for irrigation, and in general improve agriculture. And like the Qattara Project and the actual use of the Great Salt Lake, I believe you would be able to mine the lakes for nitrates and other industrial chemicals.

Basically, it's the greatest thing France could do for North Africa. If it's created, then I can definitely see the aforementioned Qattara Project completed, as well as no doubt the flooding of the Sabkhat Ghuzayyil in Libya, a similar depression.

Would it be viable? You would need sufficient inflow of water to counterbalance losses through evaporation. If you did not, you could get an environmental mass--compare California's Salton Sea, for instance, accidentally created by flooding in the early 20th century but now, thanks to evaporation, a significant hazard for locals.

Would it be viable? You would need sufficient inflow of water to counterbalance losses through evaporation. If you did not, you could get an environmental mass--compare California's Salton Sea, for instance, accidentally created by flooding in the early 20th century but now, thanks to evaporation, a significant hazard for locals.

This would not be an endorheic basin like the Salton Sea is. This would be linked to the Mediterranean Sea, presumably by canals large enough to counter evaporation.

I believe a certain level of maintenance would be required to prevent the inflows from being clogged. But the inflow is rich in various substances, and it isn't much worse than maintaining a canal, right? Since that would be one of the purposes of this--to facilitate transport to the Sahara.

I can only imagine the party when they finally break the dykes and the flooding of the Chotts begin.

Can you only imagine? Fireworks wouldn't even be the beginning of it

One concern is that it might end up like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Valley_Project

However, that isn't a given - especially if the French are smart enough to go "Maybe flooding an area with salt-water isn't a good idea". We're in the Sahara, we have the French, and we have the possibility of an early https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Shuman

It isn't beyond the French to build essentially a fresh-water pipeline that is pumped and filled using solar power and solar-desalination. Proof of concept can be applied in the Chotts (making them more freshwater, which might be considered a better thing, depends on your priorities).

I'd suggest after the initial plans flaws are exposed (oversalinity, the land not being mostly below sea level, etc) - an engineer adapts it - using a Frank Shuman style system to eliminate fuel costs, to create artificial rivers - selling it on the lack of fuel, being able to directly (ignoring climate changes) choose what farmland to irrigate -all for the low-low cost of maintain the pipes, pumps and power stations.

Plus, it includes salt-exports to boot.

Heck - who needs the French government - get some eccentric millionaire involved - buy the land off the French government on the cheap after the initial project fails - and do it better. He can make a fortune from salt, crop and land sales, and land rent for farmers and settlers.

In any situation however, you need something to offer the Berbers - if you can offer a reliable water source in exchange for ensuring that nobody vandalises the pipeline? That isn't a bad deal, it may even lead to a fair number of new Hassi.

One concern is that it might end up like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Valley_Project

However, that isn't a given - especially if the French are smart enough to go "Maybe flooding an area with salt-water isn't a good idea". We're in the Sahara, we have the French, and we have the possibility of an early https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Shuman

It isn't beyond the French to build essentially a fresh-water pipeline that is pumped and filled using solar power and solar-desalination. Proof of concept can be applied in the Chotts (making them more freshwater, which might be considered a better thing, depends on your priorities).

I'd suggest after the initial plans flaws are exposed (oversalinity, the land not being mostly below sea level, etc) - an engineer adapts it - using a Frank Shuman style system to eliminate fuel costs, to create artificial rivers - selling it on the lack of fuel, being able to directly (ignoring climate changes) choose what farmland to irrigate -all for the low-low cost of maintain the pipes, pumps and power stations.

Plus, it includes salt-exports to boot.

Heck - who needs the French government - get some eccentric millionaire involved - buy the land off the French government on the cheap after the initial project fails - and do it better. He can make a fortune from salt, crop and land sales, and land rent for farmers and settlers.

In any situation however, you need something to offer the Berbers - if you can offer a reliable water source in exchange for ensuring that nobody vandalises the pipeline? That isn't a bad deal, it may even lead to a fair number of new Hassi.

The original Sahara Sea was basically a canal, though. A pipeline would take away the vast potential for transportation by sea, although with the lakes you could still locally move things easier than before. On the other hand, you'd get freshwater and basically make a giant oasis, complete with rivers for irrigation, but I fear that said oasis would be very high in salinity and not particularly useful for agriculture compared to the cost of the project.

The original Sahara Sea was basically a canal, though. A pipeline would take away the vast potential for transportation by sea, although with the lakes you could still locally move things easier than before. On the other hand, you'd get freshwater and basically make a giant oasis, complete with rivers for irrigation, but I fear that said oasis would be very high in salinity and not particularly useful for agriculture compared to the cost of the project.

The Original Sahara Sea was based on a false premise - that the majority of the Sahara was below sea level. So canals would need to be stepped and be able to raise water. It'd be more expensive to dig that canal. Plus, this is the age of steam - transport goods by rail instead if you must, or by truck.

As for the result of the freshwater - it really does depend on where the water comes out. In the Chotts, yeah, its still saline, but that will reduce over time as more freshwater enters the system and washes out the salt. As for anywhere else - it really does depend on the saltiness of the land that is irrigated, or the water is allowed to run free on.

Regardless of whether it´s initially freshwater or saltwater, the lakes are going to salinise, so no use as water supplies.

Use as transportation appears uneconomical, even when you take into account how difficult it is to build and maintain railroad tracks and traffic across the desert.

Thus, the only huge potential would be if it changed the climate of the entire ecoregion, causing more rainfall and thus creating more fertile land. But for that to happen, you`d need to flood all the depressions of the Sahara, I suppose. Way beyond the technical possibilities of that age, plus it would be on French, British etc. territory.

It might be most doable indeed from a climate perspective, perhaps moderating the climate of southern Tunisia. Maritime transport--well, that would be secondary to a transformation of the region.

I´m not really an expert on eco-geography, but I suppose to change the local climate, you`d need a huge water surface. Plus you`d have to have this climate change as a deliberate goal, i.e. the floodings are flanked with forestation efforts and other vegetation efforts which increase oxygenisation and reduce dust, instead of trying to extract maximum agricultural yields right from the start. So, in a nutshell, neither the technological capabilities, nor the mindset of the 19th century. It would be a tough nut to crack even today.