Liechtenstein was neutral in World War I

In the First World War Liechtenstein was neutral.
Suppose Liechtenstein is not neutral in World War I.
Who does the Principality of Liechtenstein side with?

Won't make a difference

The state would ally with the Central Powers most likely, but I doubt that they would gain anything given how many troops they could provide.

Assuming Liechtenstein raises a unit to fight alongside Austro-Hungarian forces, which front would they be deployed to?

The Italian Front of course. In a set of wacky misadventures the brave soldiers of the Grand Liechtenstein Army (All 6 of them!) ends up singlehandedly knocking Italy out of the war and ensuring a CP victory.

Last edited:
Liechtenstein didn't have an official army after the Franco-Prussian War, so I don't know why it would choose a side. If it did, the effects would be negligible to either side.

The Italian Front of course. In a set of wacky misadventures the Grand Liechtenstein Army (All 6 of them!) ends up singlehandedly knocking Italy out of the war and ensuring a CP victory.
Ok, someone should make that an timeline now. That would be hilarius to read.:D

Liechtenstein had close relationship with Austro-Hungary so it would be side of Central Powers. But I don't know why it would join to WW1. Had Liechtenstein even army? Well, on end of WW1 there probably happen revolution and prince is expelled from the country and Liechtenstein will join to Switzerland.

^
Poor Lichtenstein probably gets annexed into the new Austrian state after a central powers loss me thinks.

^
Poor Lichtenstein probably gets annexed into the new Austrian state after a central powers loss me thinks.

But I thought that we established that Lichtenstein knocked Italy out of the war through its martial army? Instead if the Austro-Hungarian empire collapses we need to have Lichtenstein annex Austria, then slowly piece together the Empire, defeat Germany when it tries to annex it, conquer Italy, launch a blitz into France, defeat the USSR, wipe out the UK, and finally conquer the Americas, eventually leading it to global dominance in just a few decades.

But I thought that we established that Lichtenstein knocked Italy out of the war through its martial army? Instead if the Austro-Hungarian empire collapses we need to have Lichtenstein annex Austria, then slowly piece together the Empire, defeat Germany when it tries to annex it, conquer Italy, launch a blitz into France, defeat the USSR, wipe out the UK, and finally conquer the Americas, eventually leading it to global dominance in just a few decades.

I for one would welcome an alt timeline of Lichtensteinian overlordship of planet earth but I'm a Debbie downer by nature and must ruin such glorious speculation for myself and everyone around me.

Except Luxembourg, who maintains their neutrality, their wealth, and their independence Even Switzerland must fall under the Liechtensteiner boot, but Luxembourg, ah, Luxembourg -- they shall remain what they are.

Except Luxembourg, who maintains their neutrality, their wealth, and their independence Even Switzerland must fall under the Liechtensteiner boot, but Luxembourg, ah, Luxembourg -- they shall remain what they are.

Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and San Marino thereupon triumphantly partition the planet amongst themselves, leaving Andorra and Monaco to secretly lick their chops, for it's all going according to plan...

Raunchel

Banned
Yes, but if they mobilize to the maximum possible extent they might be able to field up to a thousand troops. Of course, those would be the crack Liechtenstein soldiers, trained from the start of the war to the highest excellence possible in such a grand country. So I would guess that they wouldn't add more than the defeat of all enemies to the war.

But, should their contribution miraculously fail to influence the war, I could see the country's distinguished history ending at the war, the prince would be deposed and the country might see itself added to Austria or Switzerland. The only way it could stay independent would be because the Entente decides that they don't want to rewards Austria for being their enemy in the war, or Switzerland for doing absolutely nothing at all.

Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and San Marino thereupon triumphantly partition the planet amongst themselves, leaving Andorra and Monaco to secretly lick their chops, for it's all going according to plan...

But they may have felt too secure in their triumph: A new nation rebels against the tyrannical microstate hegemons of the world: the Principality of Sealand!

But they may have felt too secure in their triumph: A new nation rebels against the tyrannical microstate hegemons of the world: the Principality of Sealand!

Across the seas though, a giant slumbers, biding its time in isolation, the world unknowing of its true strength and power. Will the mysterious and powerful Conch Republic come to the aid of the embattled forces of truth and justice, or will it stay aloof from the struggles of the Old World and its woes?