Liberia in the Maghreb.

Vague idea. So America invaded the Maghreb pretty early in our history and Liberia failed because of a unhealthy disease climate. What if Liberia is made in the Maghreb? Would more blacks move to a nicer climate? Would a Apartheid style system be set up with a middle class of Arab Christians? Yes I know it's unrealistic but it's a hypothetical.

Vague idea. So America invaded the Maghreb pretty early in our history and Liberia failed because of a unhealthy disease climate. What if Liberia is made in the Maghreb? Would more blacks move to a nicer climate? Would a Apartheid style system be set up with a middle class of Arab Christians? Yes I know it's unrealistic but it's a hypothetical.

Libya didn't exactly have a high carrying capacity to allow for mass immigration, and the locals would be very prejudiced against people subsaharan origin, and the locals are not already christian. It probably wouldn't be a tenth as successful as OTL Liberia

I don't know if it is true but I've read that some moroccan sultan in the 19th century
asked the US for protection from the growing spanish and french influence. This could have been used to make Morocco a US protectorate.

@Richard Osborne
Why arab christians? There were no arab christians in the Maghreb.

Never.

A primarily "Mohammadean" land in the scorching desert where by and large anti-blackness was rife and the limitations of southern agriculture are pushed to the very edge would not be a destination most American blacks would go to.

For better or worse the narratives of Robert Adams a 19th century mixed race man claiming to have been enslaved in the region would have turned most off.

While yes slavers did exist in Liberia to sell to foreigners it was not in the interest of freed and free American blacks to risk raiding after leaving the U.S.

Now if the question was the Moroccan sultan calling on the U.S. to free all "Moorish Slaves" (taking one step further beyond the Sundry Act) then yes, a mostly Fula/Peul migration of largely literate and former elite men and women could and probably would settle down.

Say some 100-400 tops.

I still say Southern and Central Namibia is best.

Milder than the Sahara, filled with Euro-African cultured and mixed race Oorlams already conquering Nama, Basters arriving, limited European presence, vast Whaling potential suitable for the many free Whalers, sailors and captains of the Northeast some of whom spoke Dutch along with Fula and Sahelian pastoralists in Texas, Louisiana and elsewhere in the South; as a bonus a close proximity to Christian Capetown?

it's the best bet.

Also I think that some of the european powers would not be thrilled with the idea of american meddling in the maghreb more than hunting pirates.

No. Not gonna happen. North Africa is out of question and the Moroccan Sahara is not a nice place to live.

Don't let the seemingly easy victory in the Barbary war go you. If America tried to conquer and forcibly colonize the Maghreb in this way, they would see fiercer resistance than they could handle.

No. Not gonna happen. North Africa is out of question and the Moroccan Sahara is not a nice place to live.[/QUO.] The maghreb is actually very nice. I know its unrealistic I just thought it was a idea that hadn't been conceived before. I like the idea of alt-Liberias like the Dakotas, Madagascar, Namibia, Central America, Guyana, and the Congo.

I don't know if it is true but I've read that some moroccan sultan in the 19th century
asked the US for protection from the growing spanish and french influence. This could have been used to make Morocco a US protectorate.

@Richard Osborne
Why arab christians? There were no arab christians in the Maghreb.
I'm talking more about the western maghreb than Libya. Also the French used Arab Christians as a fifth column.

The thing with OTL Liberia is, it was created on a region with no existing State. It is not thd case with North Africa. I hardly doubt any State would want a large number of Christian Africans.

I still say Southern and Central Namibia is best.

Milder than the Sahara, filled with Euro-African cultured and mixed race Oorlams already conquering Nama, Basters arriving, limited European presence, vast Whaling potential suitable for the many free Whalers, sailors and captains of the Northeast some of whom spoke Dutch along with Fula and Sahelian pastoralists in Texas, Louisiana and elsewhere in the South; as a bonus a close proximity to Christian Capetown?

it's the best bet.
Ah, great minds think very much alike. Ahem. Shameless Plug of my TL:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-free-man’s-republic-a-story-of-jubilation.465705/