Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1: The Impeachment of Andrew Johnson and "New Reconstruction."
Chapter 1: The Impeachment of Andrew Johnson and "New Reconstruction"

May 16th, 1868

The United States Senate has convened to convict President Andrew Johnson on "high crimes and misdemeanors." The vote will be close. The Democrats and several Republicans will not vote for impeachment. They believe the trial and presentation of evidence has been one sided and unfair.

In the end, the vote came down to one man; Edmund Ross. A moderate Republican, he had debated the trial internally for weeks. In the end, no one knew how he was going to vote. In the end, Ross sided with his party, and voted guilty. Andrew Johnson was removed from office by a vote of 40-18. He went quietly, and dissapeared to a life of obscurity in Tennessee.

Speaker of the House Schulyer Colfax was voted into the Presidency. Knowing that Colfax had some radical sympathies (he had voted for the 13th Amendment even though Speakers typically don't vote on issues on the floor), the Radical Republicans risked it all by reintroducing the Wade-Davis Bill. The bill failed, but a new bill called the Colfax Readmittance Bill succeeded.

This bill stated that 2/3 of all voters on the voter rolls for the 1860 Election had to swear loyalty to the Union before being readmitted. More troops were deployed to the South as fears of unrest spread. The North was right to worry...

Almost immediately, the South exploded into violence. The KKK and other like minded groups attacked thousands of blacks and northern whites. Northern newspapers screamed about southern atrocities every day and public opinion in the North hardened against Southern white supremacy. One Philadelphia paper paraphrased an abolitionist slogan "Is not the Negro a man and a brother?" It became a popular rallying cry of Northerners, Southern Republicans, and African Americans.

In 1868, Colfax won the Republican nomination, and the Presidency, with General Grant as Vice President. He swore to crush the KKK and any groups whose goal was to "terrorize the Negro into an unnatural, Satanic state of fear and subordinace." The Force Bill of 1869 was passed on March 3rd, and gave Federal troops the powers necessary to combat an enlarged and invigorated KKK. By mid 1871, the group had been crushed. The heroism of several African-American volunteers in protecting both whites and blacks from KKK violence caused further cracks in the edifuce of white supremacy.

Another way white supremacism was combated was developed by Vice President Grant, and saved the Union a great deal of trouble. Passionate, fiery orators, mainly preachers and pastors, were sent South to convince poor whites that white supremacy hurt them as well. The main focuses of these speeches was the New Testament (particularly parts preaching acceptance) and stirring up resentment against the old planter class. One quotation from a speech given in Alabama:

"Hatred of the Negro is neither Biblical, nor economical. The Bible says to love thy neighbor, not love thy white neighbor! But the human heart is inclined to hate! God knows this! Jesus knows this! The Devil knows this! So too did the old planter class know this! And they used that vile emotion, that most harmful of sins, to manipulate you! Because they know that if you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket! Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you!"

These "Freedom Preachers" were wildly successful. Across the South, many poor whites went from viewing slavery and white supremacy as natural institutions, to tools used by a handful of wealthy people to tread on the rest of the population. Coming into the 1872 Election, southern resistance was still stiff, but starting to slacken....

1200px-Schuyler_Colfax_portrait.jpg

President Colfax

c19ab32d93ba62f2411f40f6354b33c8.jpg

A popular anti-KKK cartoon that was widely circulated

170px-Mississippi_ku_klux.jpg

A sketch of three Klansmen

Chapter 2: The 1872 Election and Colfax's Second Term
Chapter 2: The 1872 Election and Colfax's Second Term

The 1872 Election was more of a formality than anything. The Democrats didn't stand a "snowball's chance in hell." The only former Confederate state to have been readmitted was Tennessee after all. The ongoing debate in the Republican party over Reconstruction was probably the most fought over issue. The Radicals liked the course Colfax had taken, even if he was against the disenfranchisement of former Confederates. The moderates were aggravated that the Colfax Administration was "more focused on elevating the Negro than restoring the Union." However, thanks to the brutality of the KKK and other groups, the Radicals won out and Colfax sailed into a second term.

The most monumental act of Colfax's second term was the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1874. This bill mandated that every American, regardless of skin color, was to be given equal treatment in public transportation, public accommodations, and was to be given an equal chance to serve on a jury. Thanks to large numbers of Federal troops and a slowly waning level of support for white supremacism, the Act was effectively enforced. In 1882, the Civil Rights Cases challenged the bill, but it was upheld by the Supreme Court who cited the 14th Amendment's guarantee of equal protection. The Court went on to say that the Federal government had the power to regulate businesses and other private organizations to uphold people's constitutional rights. Although none of the Justices admitted it, public opinion and the legacy of KKK brutality had influenced the Court's decision. Nonetheless, it was a great advancement for American racial equality.

During Colfax's term, North Carolina was the first state under the Reconstruction Acts readmitted to the Union. North Carolina had a large Unionist population during the war and had been the last state to secede, after being surrounded on all sides by Confederate states. This process was accelerated by Colfax's crackdown on Redeemer groups in the state as well. Georgia, Alabama, and Virginia soon followed and several other states were close to the 2/3 loyalty necessary to rejoin the Union.

In 1876, Rutherford B. Hayes assumed the Republican nomination and the Presidency. A staunch abolitionist, he was wildly popular with African Americans and Northerners. By the end of his first term, the Reconstruction era would be over. America would be completely transformed....

Reconstruction_cartoon.jpg

A cartoon celebrating the role Federal troops played in protecting African Americans

220px-Kkk-carpetbagger-cartoon.jpg

A poster by a KKK remnant in the South. The leaders of the group responsible were arrested soon after

President_Rutherford_Hayes_1870_-_1880_Restored.jpg

President Hayes

*Second Picture changed to ensure compliance with site rules.

Last edited:
This is a great start! A very plausible POD. Its great to see the KKK and its supporters kicked in the teeth HARD.

BTW IMHO Colfax looks like Lincoln after drinking a lot of Red Bull.....

Loved the second chapter; this TL is off to a great start.

Subscribed!

This is a great start! A very plausible POD. Its great to see the KKK and its supporters kicked in the teeth HARD.

BTW IMHO Colfax looks like Lincoln after drinking a lot of Red Bull.....

Loved the second chapter; this TL is off to a great start.

Subscribed!

Thanks! I'm glad my effort at a more realistic TL is starting strong!

LOL, he does. "Fan Theory: Lincoln never died. He disguised himself as Colfax after doing cocaine." x'Dx'D

Hey just started reading and it's off to a strong start, I just want to know if you have a set end date in mind yet.

I think sometime close to the start of the 22nd century. 2100 at the latest. This is going to be a monster of a TL

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Off to a strong start! As much as I stand against imperialism I am very interested in seeing how this alternate America with a radically more successful Reconstruction will go.

LOL, he does. "Fan Theory: Lincoln never died. He disguised himself as Colfax after doing cocaine." x'Dx'D

LOL. I have a suggestion for this TL, if you don’t mind, regarding an alt-WWI. What if this WW1 starts over an American attempt to link up Alaska with the continent by invading and annexing parts of Canada below 54’40”, as this America seems to be going super imperialist.

Off to a strong start! As much as I stand against imperialism I am very interested in seeing how this alternate America with a radically more successful Reconstruction will go.

Glad you're enjoying it so far. I think this America's imperialism will in the end be quite a bit more constructive than European imperialism. America is basically going to be a Roman style Empire where instead of it being a "country with an empire," it's just one empire. Eventually, places outside the 50 states will be states as well.

Not that American imperialism is going to be nice per se. Expect a lot of boarding schools, etc. Just not horribly racist.

LOL. I have a suggestion for this TL, if you don’t mind, regarding an alt-WWI. What if this WW1 starts over an American attempt to link up Alaska with the continent by invading and annexing parts of Canada below 54’40”, as this America seems to be going super imperialist.

While that is a neat idea, that's not the direction I really see this heading. America will still be trying to stay out of the European alliance system. They're going to be dragged in by similar circumstance to OTL, but with some twists, etc.

Interlude: The Centennial
I hope this speech kind of shows how America is both becoming less racist and more expansionist.

Also, musical accompaniment:

Interlude: The Centennial

July 4th, 1876
American Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, PA

*Ladies and Gentlemen, please rise for the President of the United States of America
The band strikes up Hail to the Chief*

Thank you my countrymen! What a glorious day today is! The 100th anniversary of American independence! Just a century ago, we were a tiny republic on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. 13 small colonies, united under one flag. Today, our great Republic spreads from sea to shining sea! From Alaska to Alabama, the Stars and Stripes fly over the nation our Founders forged on this day, 100 years ago. Yet, even today, the history of some of those 13 colonies looms large over us all.

I am of course, speaking of the South. Those states that seceded for their so-called right to keep the Negro in chains. The slavery debate was the one issue our Founders couldn't solve, for fear of splitting the Union at such a delicate moment. They hoped, even the slaveholders among them, that slavery would slowly die. Unfortunately, they were wrong. As the Union grew, so too did the Slave Power of the South. Eventually, the situation became untenable. Some kind of conflict was necessary to free our Negro brothers from the bondage of slavery! The Founders didn't destroy slavery, for fear of destroying the Union. As a result, slavery nearly destroyed the Union. Even if no War happened, the moral corruption that comes with enslaving fellow men and brothers would have eventually destroyed our nation!

*President Colfax pauses for cheers*

The Civil War not only ended slavery and paved the way for Negro equality. It taught us a valuable lesson. The only language tyrants and barbarians understand is force! If America is to be a true beacon of Liberty, if America is to be a truly Christian nation, if America is to fulfill her MANIFEST DESTINY, we mustn't be afraid to wage war! We mustn't be afraid to die on foreign fields to spread freedom! We mustn't be afraid to send our sons off to war to spread the reign of America, the Empire of Liberty! It is terrible, oh yes it is terrible. But it would be more terrible to sit in peace and wealth while the world toils in darkness and oppression! If we should pursue such a course, we spit on the graves of our Founders, and on the graves of those we lost in the War! Until the whole world lives in the same freedom we do, the American Eagle must sound out its war cry. Until the whole world is free, I say LET THE EAGLE SCREAM!!!!

*Thundering applause erupts from the crowd. Copies of Colfax's speech will be read throughout the nation, drumming up nationalism.*

section_header.jpg

Part of a greeting card from the Centennial Exposition

1904-Hurrah-Let-Eagle-Scream-Fourth-full-1-720:10.10-84-f.jpg

A postcard from the 1900's using Colfax's still popular slogan

I could see rising prejudice and discrimination against southern whites ITTL. Leading to growing friction between them and the rest of the country. Possibly leading to them migrating to the new territories. Where ironically they become the ruling class.

Chapter 3: Hayes' First Term and the End of Reconstruction
Chapter 3: Hayes' First Term and the End of Reconstruction

In Rutherford B. Hayes' first term, the Southern resistance finally crumbled. Initially, there was some violence in South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana. However, with the exception of South Carolina, these problems were easily dealt with. Many southern whites were adapting to legal equality with blacks, as they realized it didn't really change their lives much at all.

By the end of 1877, Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas had all been readmitted to the Union. There were still folks that were resentful towards the "race-mixing Yankees." However, a majority of Southerners by this point didn't really care if African Americans could use the same trains and eat in the same restaurants. This was partially because the white and black communities came to an unspoken arrangement that lasted unchallenged until the 1920's. Whites and blacks would and could live together in harmony, work together, and go to school together. However, blacks and whites would go to separate churches, frequent different entertainment venues, and most importantly, would not date across the color line. While breaking these taboos was not illegal per se, it was a great way to get arrested for trespassing or (more likely) beat up. Interracial couples often wound up eloping and heading North. While this arrangement was far from perfect, compared to the state of race relations 10 years prior, it was positively utopic. However, one state didn't quite get the memo yet.....

South Carolina. The birthplace of the Confederacy, and the last stubborn holdout against Reconstruction. The South Carolinan people, try as some might, couldn't let go of white supremacy. In some parts of the state, things were so bad that Federal troops had to be placed on trains to make sure whites wouldn't literally throw blacks off of them. Redeemer groups hid out around Charleston, Columbia, and in parts of the Lowlands, waiting to make their move. In 1878 they made their move. Thousands of "Red Shirts" came out on election day to terrorize Republicans. Brandishing clubs, whips, pistols, and swords, they killed over 80 people and wounded hundreds more. The North was outraged. A massive surge of about 40,000 Federal troops, most of whom were just coming back from places like Florida, was sent into South Carolina. There, they engaged in what was essentially the first modern counter-insurgency. In Charleston and Columbia, hundreds of suspected Red Shirts were rounded up and interrogated. In the countryside, US Cavalry brutally eliminated any Red Shirts who resisted, and arrested those who didn't.

In 1879, South Carolina finally cracked. The strain of being occupied by a fresh wave of enraged Unionists destroyed any remaining support for the Redeemer movement. The majority of people just wanted to live in peace by this point. On June 8th, 1879, South Carolina was the last former Confederate state readmitted to the Union. However, racial tensions would always be more problematic in South Carolina as opposed to other states.

In 1880, Rutherford B. Hayes won re-election. 1880 also marks the official end of Reconstruction, as that was when the last Federal troops left the South. While there were a few minor challenges to racial equality in the aftermath, all were shut down. Reconstruction completely reshaped America. Before Reconstruction and the Civil War, America had been a racist, isolationist, agrarian nation beset by regionalism. By 1880, minorities had legal equality, although social tensions still existed to a degree. The American people, fueled by a sense of nationalism, desired expansion instead of isolation. Industry had boomed in the North, and was starting to spread South. Finally, regional rivalries were set aside in a wave of nationalism.

The US also kept a large standing military after Reconstruction. The American people (especially African Americans) viewed a militarily strong America as necessary to protect and expand freedom. The US Army was kept at a steady 200,000 men, able to swell massively in wartime. Beginning under Colfax, the US Navy was slowly expanded with the purchase of ironclad ships (that were later scrapped for more advanced models). Such a heavily armed nation was eager to expand. Nonetheless, America had to wait awhile for its place in the sun....

479px-Redshirt.jpg

A Redshirt worn by South Carolinan white supremacists

800px-Wilmington_vigilantes_B.jpg

Racist vigilantes outside the destroyed home of a black man

l_MAS3550__30926.1410669240.1280.1280__91489.1427089870.jpg

Artist depiction of US Cavalry chasing down Redshirts in rural South Carolina

bdr:574773

A patriotic envelope circa 1880

images

A factory in Pennsylvania

Love this timeline!

Thanks Kaiser!

Looking forward to seeing where this timeline goes.

Hope you like the end result!

This will be interesting; I am curious how Colfax will affect the US Military. The Navy, for example will likely get more funding.

I hope the recent update cleared some of that up.

I could see rising prejudice and discrimination against southern whites ITTL. Leading to growing friction between them and the rest of the country. Possibly leading to them migrating to the new territories. Where ironically they become the ruling class.

I don't see this happening thanks to government/Republican propaganda on all sides. White Northerners are told that the actions of the KKK and like minded groups are the death pangs of the old planter class and their cronies. Most southern whites in this view were manipulated pawns, who were mislead and exploited by wealthy planters. The publication of some news stories featuring southern whites sacrificing themselves to save blacks has helped immensely. African Americans are told that they shouldn't sink to the level of their oppressors. Southern whites are being told to shape up or else.

This is a little nitpicky but Wade would've become President after Johnson's impeachment because he was President Pro Tempore

Shoot I forgot about that rule! I guess we can say that Wade, for whatever reason, didn't want the job. Or that moderates told him to back off. I feel the latter is more likely. Colfax wasn't know as someone who was super radical. The position just made him more radical ITTL, due to various things.

Shoot I forgot about that rule! I guess we can say that Wade, for whatever reason, didn't want the job. Or that moderates told him to back off. I feel the latter is more likely. Colfax wasn't know as someone who was super radical. The position just made him more radical ITTL, due to various things.

The speaker is supposed to get it before pro temp IIRC

That's the way it is now, thanks to the order of succession established by the 25th Amendment. IDK about before. I guess we can assume they went with that rule here.

I just checked, and according to law at the time it was supposed to go to the leader of the Senate so *shrugs*