Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually there'll have to be a timeline where Ghandi is like this.
a6da75dd5d28f3df53636d517bc3bf02.jpg

I'm incredibly curious and might have to look that up. Do you happen to remember the name?
How one defines high-class Hindu? I mean there are dark-skinned brahmins and fair-skinned Kshatriya or Vishya. How does the system work? Also born from a Hindu woman and white father automatically becomes white or he or she considers honorary white?

I figure there may be some sort of citizenship board that reviews caste, education, wealth, job importance and political views. Someone who is pro Dominion is a citizen while those who are critical can be downgraded and watched by special branch.

Would be ironic if Bose is the Gandhi pacifist TTL.
Bose strikes me more of the underground organizer, setting up a shadow government under Azad Hind.
Plus Gandhi-style passive resistance only works against people who give a damn what the rest of the world thinks of their actions. And I have the feeling that neither this fascist Gandhi nor his master Mosley are the sort to care to even put on the silk glove over their iron fist in the first place.

Plus Gandhi-style passive resistance only works against people who give a damn what the rest of the world thinks of their actions. And I have the feeling that neither this fascist Gandhi nor his master Mosley are the sort to care to even put on the silk glove over their iron fist in the first place.
There probably won't be a famous Indian pacifist ITTL for this reason. India will have to fight for freedom, and the section about India said that Brittanianism will last the longest there, so it will probably be messy.

I did not say he was going to be organizing passive resistance. I mean he may be the one organizing, training and setting up a shadow government to wait for when the UK is too occupied or strips away enough garrison troops.

I did not say he was going to be organizing passive resistance. I mean he may be the one organizing, training and setting up a shadow government to wait for when the UK is too occupied or strips away enough garrison troops.
I was agreeing with you that he'd be more likely to be proactively organizing rather than passively resisting. Either way, India's going to be interesting in the Chinese sense going forward.

Those older civilization games suddenly make more sense...

Plot twist: LTES is the backstory to insane nuke Gandhi in Civ.

How one defines high-class Hindu? I mean there are dark-skinned brahmins and fair-skinned Kshatriya or Vishya. How does the system work? Also born from a Hindu woman and white father automatically becomes white or he or she considers honorary white?

I think caste is going to be the determining factor for Indians because it's more ideologically consistent. Remember, the Brits aren't strictly colorist/white supremacist, as the Irish occupy the bottom rung in their view and Hindus are an appreciated kind of middle class. A person born of a Hindu mother and White father will still be an honorary white, but I think if they have kids with a White person, their children will now be white.

Seems a bit lopsided in favor of the Japanese, Russia gets stuck with the periphery while Japan gets the populated rich coastal provinces...
One the other hand it's harder to occupy a far more populated territory

This is exactly the point. I don't want to spoil too much, but Stalin is a more active planner and is a bit more intelligent than his OTL counterpart. Not necessarily an evil genius, but someone who knows how to play off of Japan's desires and who knew they would want that land anyway.

What happened to missionary activity in India? Are they trying to do a Vedic revival like the pagan movement?

Some of the native rulers are Muslim what happened to them, are their states directly assimilated within raj?

How many of the upper-middle class and high-class Hindus are marrying whites?

Are anglo Indians are honorary white or just whites?

How unorthodox faiths India treated like gains, Buddhists, and Sikhs? I mean they after all full under the dharmic framework. Even RSS accepted that in canon timeline. Is it same here?

Last edited:
What happened to missionary activity in India? Are they trying to do a Vedic revival like the pagan movement?

Some of the native rulers are Muslim what happened to them, are their states directly assimilated within raj?

How many of the upper-middle class and high-class Hindus are marrying whites?

Are anglo Indians are honorary white or just whites?

How unorthodox faiths India treated like gains, Buddhists, and Sikhs? I mean they after all full under the dharmic framework. Even RSS accepted that in canon timeline. Is it same here?
IMHO the Brits will use the same Divide and Conquer tactics they have used before since they work. As long as the Princely States support the Dominion movement they will left as is (and watched for any subversive activities). The same with Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs but it will be harder to watch them and determine where there loyalties lay. The Raj will probably distrust the RSS since they are Hindu Nationalist and too similar to the British. There probably will be a Vedic revival of sort but with some softening in the treatment of non-Muslim and other minorities as a way to pull support from the Independence groups.

I think that TTL India will be similar to OTL France post-WW2. Lots of questions about who supported whom.

Christmas in Quebec:
A bit of a flash forward, but here's a light hearted Christmas special:

Christmas in Quebec:

WWII_London_Blitz_East_London-Children.jpg

Quebecois children sit in front of their bombed out home (December, 1939)

December 25th, 1939, 10 AM EST, Quebec City, Quebec

Jean-Luc Brodeur wandered the streets of Quebec City aimlessly. Today started like every day of the past week: he had woken up cold and hungry to the sound of shelling. The 16 year old boy had been separated from his family a week ago, when they were forced to flee their apartment as fighting slowly enveloped the city. In the chaos, Jean-Luc, oldest of five, had gotten turned around, went down the wrong street, and now here he was. He spent his days scrounging for food and dodging the Canucks, who would probably stick a gun in his hands and order him to fight. The Anglos wouldn't admit it, but he could see the desperation on their faces. The September 11th attacks by the GIA had been coordinated to try and knock out the Yankees with firepower and fear. Instead, they were just mad as hell. They came crashing into Canada with a fury that reminded him of Old Testament Bible study with Father Labeaume. Jean-Luc frowned at the memory of the kindly old priest. Another victim of the Canucks and their obsessive desire to stamp out his people and their culture. They didn't even get to properly bury him.

The teen was snapped out of his melancholy by the sound of an engine. Quickly ducking behind a fallen column, he waited for whatever vehicle he was hearing to move on. Instead, the sound got closer, and closer, and closer. He could hear wheels, and men talking. Jean-Luc clutched his rosary and prayed that God would please, just this once, have mercy on him and let him go undetected by whoever it was going by. He could feel the vibrations of the vehicle as it came very close. He closed his eyes as tight as he could, as if that could make him invisible. Instead, he felt the vehicle stop. He heard a door open and shut. Then a voice.

"Hey kid, you alright?" Jean-Luc didn't open his eyes or say a word, instead opting to try and stop breathing. Given his level of panic, this didn't work as well he would have hoped. "Hey kid, are you deaf?" Another male voice, "Well if he was deaf, he probably couldn't fucking hear you ask him if he was deaf, now could he?" The first man said "Yeah, yeah, look at you, the Corporal is becoming the comic." Then, something unexpected: "Kid's got a rosary. Hey kid, Ave Maria! Ave Maria, Ave Maria! Ya know that? Those nuns, they beat that shit into ya." Jean-Luc opened his eyes in surprise at hearing the ancient Latin Hail Mary. Looming over him, he saw a pale, brown eyed man in fatigues. "Look, the kid's eyes work! Hey kid, you speak English? Parlez-vous anglais? That's how you say it, right?" The other man replied, "Jack I'm from Zion and I don't know if you know this, but the good Negroes of Zion don't exactly speak French." The white man, Jack, was about to make a cutting reply when he was startled by Jean-Luc asking "Negro? Black?" Jack nodded and motioned for his partner to get out. Soon, Jean-Luc saw a tall, barrel-chested Black man come into view. He blinked a few times to confirm, and then let out a whoop that startled his interrogators. No self-respecting Canuck would be caught dead on patrol with a Black man, but an American in one of the experimental mixed units would! They weren't Canucks!

Jean-Luc bolted upright and began communicating in fast, broken English. The men, a Sargent Jack O'Hannigan and Corporal Abraham Jefferson, told him to slow down several times with varying levels of profanity. Within about 10 minutes, he was in the back of their Jeep, hollering as they drove through the bombed out streets of the city. About 40 minutes later they were on the outskirts of town and arrived in what can only be described as a prefabricated metropolis. Barracks, tents, a giant mess, and, in the back, a fenced off area with a few hundred miserable Canucks inside. Jean-Luc extended two fingers in a V shape at them, knowing they would recognize the ancient British gesture and its intended meaning. When the car came to a stop he jumped out and kissed the ground. Corporal Jefferson said "Someone's officially even more excited to be out of that shithole than me. That's impressive!" Sargent O'Hannigan asked if he had eaten, and after some rough translation, Jean-Luc found himself in a mess hall surrounded by Americans and fellow Quebecoise, eating a massive Christmas feast. He had actually forgotten it was Christmas, and said a few Hail Marys to hopefully make up for it. While he was eating, the adults suddenly called for quiet as loudspeakers crackled. "Ladies and gentlemen, please show respect as we broadcast this Christmas message from the President of the United States." Radios were turned on throughout the hall, all playing the same speech.

"Good afternoon my fellow Americans, and my fellow free men. It is noon, Eastern Standard Time, here in Washington, DC. More importantly, it is Christmas Day, one of the most sacred days of the year on our calendar. This Christmas is unlike any other faced by our nation. Over 70,000 of our fellow citizens are celebrating it at the right hand of the Lord beyond the pearly gates of the Glory. Tens of thousands more must go on with the knowledge that they have lost a parent, a spouse, a sibling, a child, or a friend. I myself lost a dear friend... Millions more of our citizens, in the Philippines and Hong Kong, must do all they can to celebrate under the occupation of a despotic oriental regime of tremendous cruelty. This Christmas will be a difficult one, perhaps the most difficult in our nation's history. However, even in the darkness, the light shines. I am pleased to announce that in a fortunate turn of events, all Canadian resistance in Quebec has been neutralized."

The speech was interrupted by a loud cheer here, especially among the Quebecoise who had translators on hand.

"Almighty God has tested us this year. However, America has responded as I knew she would. We have rallied in an unprecedented national effort to defeat the forces of tyranny. Every person of every conceivable race, faith, and creed has been giving their all for our Country. For that, I express my eternal gratitude. Through your efforts, we almost have the Canadian Front licked. The Liberation of Quebec is an important part of that. The people of Quebec have suffered much at the hands of the Sons of the Maple Leaf, even more than we. However they have endured, and we will endure. Together, we will triumph. To my fellow Americans, I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. To our liberated Quebecoise friends I say this: Joyeux Noël. Aujord'hui, nous sommes tous du Québec!"*

There were more cheers at the end of the speech. Although Jean-Luc didn't understand everything the man was saying he caught the gist, and something about the man's booming voice made him feel safe. Almost like his father's voice. He frowned again, and went to grab dessert. He hoped that they were alive. He tried something he heard the Yankees call flan, specifically the browner ones, and found it extremely good. As he went for his third plate (hey, it's Christmas) he heard a yell of "Jean-Luc! Jean-Luc! C'est toi, mon fils?" Shell shocked, he turned around and saw his mother, father, and all 4 of his siblings. There was a brief pause, and then he took off running. After about 15 minutes of hugging and crying, they began talking excitedly. Apparently, they had actually gotten here yesterday after being picked up by the Red Cross. They already had a nice, warm part of the refugee barracks reserved for the family, and a bed for Jean-Luc. The family would be staying in the camp for awhile, and Jean-Luc's father Pierre had already gotten a job helping the Americans rebuild the city, while his mother Amélie would take up a job as a cook for the refugees. The children would be educated by the nurses of the Red Cross. Unbeknownst to the Canadians, their Yankee enemies were about to accomplish with kindness what they couldn't do with force: teach most of the Quebecoise English. The excited chattering of the Brodeur clan was interrupted by a bunch of men in fatigues and what he would later learn were Santa hats, coming into the hall with large sacks. Among them were Sargent O'Hannigan and Corporal Jefferson. The troops opened their sacks, and what spilled out was incredible. Toys, clothes, chocolate, dime novels, and more came spilling out. A surly looking man in a general's uniform came out and said in a thick Boston accent: "Christmas, courtesy of the government and people of the United States. Gifts will be distributed to you, please restrain yourselves!"

Sargent O'Hannigan and Corporal Jefferson took responsibility for his family. His youngest sister Marie got a few dolls and a spinning top. His twin younger brothers got marbles, jacks, and a few baseball cards. His eldest sister Josephine got makeup, books, and a sewing kit. When it was his turn, he was a little disappointed. All he got were socks and shirts, which he was really thankful for, but he was hoping to at least get a book. However, the Corporal and the Sargent pulled him aside and gave him a pair of long, lumpy looking wool socks. Corporal Jefferson said, "Look inside these when your parents aren't around, ok?" Although he still didn't fully understand, he knew enough. He slipped away for a second and reached inside the socks. What he found was a treasure trove. A pack of cigarettes, another pack of cigarillos, a very small bottle of brandy, a few American dollars, and two packs of playing cards, one regular, the other with pin up pictures of beautiful women from every race he knew of and a few he didn't. A little note said "To the young men of Quebec, courtesy of the 10th Mixed Regiment. Hope you know how to play cards better than the Canucks." Stashing away his treasures, he rejoined his family. Just in time as well, as he saw a choir of men and women gathered. They began to sing the most beautiful thing he had ever heard:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Glory to the Newborn King
Peace on Earth and Mercy mild
God and Sinners, reconciled
Joyful, all ye nations, rise;
Join the triumph of the skies;
With th’angelic host proclaim
Christ is born in Bethlehem!

Hark! the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King!

Hail the heav’n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
Ris’n with healing in his wings.
Mild he lays his glory by,
Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

Hark! the herald angels sing
Glory to the newborn King!

*Translates to: Merry Christmas. Today, we are all from Quebec.

Author's Note: Jean-Luc Brodeur would go on to become the Quebecoise Ambassador to the United States from 1980-1995. He would remain lifelong friends with Sargent O'Hannigan and Corporal Jefferson, and would eulogize both men when they died in 1998 and 2001 respectively. Ambassador Brodeur was made an honorary American Citizen in 2002. Ambassador Brodeur would pass away in 2004, and one of Sargent O'Hannigan's and one of Corporal Jefferson's sons would join his children as pallbearers. He and his wife are laid in eternal rest at The Lady of Perpetual Salvation Church in Quebec City, Quebec, a church his father helped build after the Liberation of Quebec.

65bb63db0b5b36bb1095ff965a4437da.jpg

One of many kinds of pin up playing cards distributed to American troops. President Richardson insisted that they have women from all races, including Native American and African, to ease racial tensions among the troops. According to the man himself "The best way to eliminate race hatred is to show our boys that God blessed all races with curvy, long legged broads."

dollie.jpg

The Red Cross distributes donuts to soldiers and civilians in Liberated Quebec (1939)

Prisoners%20of%20War%20copyright%20IWM%20Q%2024050.jpg

Canuck POWs receive Christmas rations (1939)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.