Les Années Douces, a very different XXth century

I don't think I've gotten around to saying this yet, but I absolutely love this TL so far.
The idea of a sort of French postcolonial commonwealth/federation isn't often discussed here and is very interesting, so it's nice to see something different, but what I particularly like is the newspaper country profile format. It gets across a lot of the information from a wkibox that people actually care about, and gives a bit of insight into the thoughts, culture, and biases, of people from the timeline that are writing the articles.

@Viseslav Thank you ^^ I think the main reason why this topic isn't often discussed is the fact that OTL attempt was way too late and stupidly done, so a succesful organization of that kind needs a less evident PoD. I'm glad that the format pleases you ^^

@Viseslav Thank you ^^ I think the main reason why this topic isn't often discussed is the fact that OTL attempt was way too late and stupidly done, so a succesful organization of that kind needs a less evident PoD. I'm glad that the format pleases you ^^

I think I'm far from the only person that likes the format. Can't wait to see what's next.

I'd like to paint something but I have no idea what to paint. Is there something in this TL you'd like me to paint (place, person, ...) Or at least give me a theme ...

Turns out what I did looks horrible, sorry.

I'm sure it's not that bad (this doesn't mean I'm asking you to post it, its fine if your not comfortable with it, I'm just 90% sure you're just disappointed the way every artist is when they make something that isn't EXACTLY what the imagined).

I'm sure it's not that bad (this doesn't mean I'm asking you to post it, its fine if your not comfortable with it, I'm just 90% sure you're just disappointed the way every artist is when they make something that isn't EXACTLY what the imagined).

Maybe it's better than what I think of it, but I'd say it's at least disappointing and non realistic, even though it's also that painting details with watercolour is hard ... I'm better with semi-figurative, but maybe I'll try some pencil surgery to make my painting look better

Hmm, maybe a representation of Cotton fields in CAR or Niamey?

Kinda is the basis of french colonialism in large part of West Africa, can be interesting to see the industry in the Chancellerie system

IX : The Republic of Senegambia
Today's journal begins with a small note :

"La Voix has been bailed out by the Chancellerie and the Québécois government, after the financial difficulties of the British-American crisis (or Longest Tuesday) the journal and its editor have lost most of their clients. However, this bailout has been accepted only at the condition that neither could interfere with the content of the journal. We hope you understand, and as always, more to come.

Claude Leclerc, Director of La Voix"

upload_2019-12-30_9-43-53.png

"Fields of Hope" by Adolf Schickelgruber

ZUTV1ls.jpg

It depicts four workers in a cotton field, probably from a Phalanstère (small rural flat housing an autonomous community) in the Coopérative of Niger. It comes from Schickelgruber's Afriste works and portrays the harvesting of a cotton field, that will then be burried and used as a compost for the next crops, according to the local techniques. Schickelgruber worked himself in one of these Phalanstère, and has produced an important quantity of watercolours that made him famous at first locally in his native Tyrol (where he had sent painting to his sister and mother) and then in the rest of Europe. The reason for his success was the combination of exotic places and daily life scenes that helped people connect with this foreign continent. This painting is now part of the permanent exhibition of the Musée d'Art International also nicknamed Trocadéro Museum.

PS : I know it's not the case, but imagine this in a minimalist but pretty wooden frame. Also, I'm not pretending that my painting skills are very good, and yes, this was painted by this TL's Hitler, I know it's cliché to have him being a painter but I was too lazy to imagine something original.

Last edited:
upload_2020-1-2_9-22-6.png

Just stuff I made this morning. 12 of these 16 elements happen in this TL, the 4 others are aligned (vertically of horizontally). To be honest it's also a way to avoid forgetting the ideas I had.

I love the creativity for all these nations in this French Commonwealth. They all have their own theme which might be a little "video-gamey" but I really don't mind. I'm curious about French Guiana. Is it some kind of national park / science and space state in this verse or something more mundane?

I love the creativity for all these nations in this French Commonwealth. They all have their own theme which might be a little "video-gamey" but I really don't mind. I'm curious about French Guiana. Is it some kind of national park / science and space state in this verse or something more mundane?

True, that's a bit "Ice Kingdom - Fire Kingdom"esque but I find it nice to have the nations be very distinct ^^

I am not fully decided but the Guyanese Amazon will probably be protected, however, as it is 1943 (and not a futurist one) there's no space launchpad. For now it probably is similar to the Antilles, but I'll make sure to do my best to make it original when the time comes :)

Now we have French Polynesia described! Too bad the POD seems to be in the 1900's or we could've added the Louisianan territory to the list. Speaking of the Americas, did Quebec split from Canada in this universe? Because if so then I think we know where all the maple syrup for the Chancellerie internal market is coming from lol.

Japanese diaspora and colored ages? What's going on in Asia?

Now we have French Polynesia described! Too bad the POD seems to be in the 1900's or we could've added the Louisianan territory to the list. Speaking of the Americas, did Quebec split from Canada in this universe? Because if so then I think we know where all the maple syrup for the Chancellerie internal market is coming from lol.

Japanese diaspora and colored ages? What's going on in Asia?

Québec is still part of Canada, and the Chancellerie has issued a statement that as the British Empire is a friendly government, there would be no support for a violent uprise in any parts of said empire. This is interpreted by many as a diplomatic gift from France to the UK to ease tensions after the Chancellerie's secretary declared he supports the demonstrations in South Africa.

I'm not going to spoil Japan but Green is the colour of Youth, Gold is for the Emperor, and there's a difference between Periods (like the Nara period) and Eras (like the Meiji Era)

Edit : there's a second part of Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna are the Westernmost, but there's also French Polynesia in the East