Legion of the United States

I have seen it brought up a few times around this site. For those that don't know the US Army was organized briefly in 1790s under Anthony Wayne as a Legion broken down into smaller units and organized in a combined arms fashion (Infantry and Calvary working together).

Why was it dropped in the first place?

How does this affect military tactics?
How would this affect US-Indian confrontations during the 19th century if this were to stay in affect?
Lastly, What are the benefits and drawbacks to this organization?

Glen

I have seen it brought up a few times around this site. For those that don't know the US Army was organized briefly in 1790s under Anthony Wayne as a Legion broken down into smaller units and organized in a combined arms fashion (Infantry and Calvary working together).

Why was it dropped in the first place?

How does this affect military tactics?
How would this affect US-Indian confrontations during the 19th century if this were to stay in affect?
Lastly, What are the benefits and drawbacks to this organization?

Might I suggest the wikipedia article on the Legion of the United States?

James Wilkinson replaced Mad Anthony on his death and hated the Legion so tried to wipe out as much sign of it as he could. The sub-legions appeared to have just been renamed and reassigned as army units, so I doubt there would have been a big effect on military tactics except that its maintenence might have made larger units training together more common early in US military history? Ditto the last two questions.

Glen pretty much covers it.

If it is retained, the War of 1812 might go more in favor of the US. The legionnaires trained together for 25 months before starting their campaign, so the US Army might have a much more professional core by the time of the war. Also, the Legion was trained exclusively for fighting in a wooded environment, so they would have had an additional advantage over the British. I'm not sure how it would have affected tactics, since it was just broken up into various units and not dissolved. As for fighting Indians, the US would have been more successful in driving them out of the Northwest before the War of 1812 since they would have had a professional force fighting Indians for 20 years. That would probably affect the war as well, probably in favor of the US.

If it is retained, the War of 1812 might go more in favor of the US. The legionnaires trained together for 25 months before starting their campaign, so the US Army might have a much more professional core by the time of the war. Also, the Legion was trained exclusively for fighting in a wooded environment, so they would have had an additional advantage over the British. I'm not sure how it would have affected tactics, since it was just broken up into various units and not dissolved. As for fighting Indians, the US would have been more successful in driving them out of the Northwest before the War of 1812 since they would have had a professional force fighting Indians for 20 years. That would probably affect the war as well, probably in favor of the US.

Which is not to say that the War of 1812 still wouldn't be the single dumbest decision the US ever made.

Glen

That reminds me, I need to post something about the Legion in the Dominion of Southern America timeline.

Which is not to say that the War of 1812 still wouldn't be the single dumbest decision the US ever made.

Why? It came out rather well for us. We got to break the power of the Indians in the Northwest, started our industrial development, and affirmed our status as an independent nation. Sure, we didn't get Canada, but we were fighting against the most powerful nation on Earth. We got out as well as we could have.

Glen

Why? It came out rather well for us. We got to break the power of the Indians in the Northwest, started our industrial development, and affirmed our status as an independent nation. Sure, we didn't get Canada, but we were fighting against the most powerful nation on Earth. We got out as well as we could have.

I agree.:)