Le rêve d'un Corse: A Napoleonic TL

• Thread starter Deleted member 143920
  • Start date

Deleted member 143920

Why is the offer to Spain so different from OTL?
1) alternate history, 2) it's not too different if you think of it: Etruria is slightly bigger while Napoleon proposes an invasion and partition of Portugal to end the war with Britain. Maria Isabella was an added bonus since this TL began with me asking if her marriage to Napoleon was possible.

1) alternate history, 2) it's not too different if you think of it: Etruria is slightly bigger while Napoleon proposes an invasion and partition of Portugal to end the war with Britain. Maria Isabella was an added bonus since this TL began with me asking if her marriage to Napoleon was possible.
Right, but why is Florida off the table? France offered less historically while seeking more in return.

Deleted member 143920

Right, but why is Florida off the table? France offered less historically while seeking more in return.

Because the Spanish specifically refused to cede Florida in the negotiations of the third treaty of San Ildefonso. Partitioning Portugal meanwhile has little interest to France and the installation of Peter Charles is to appease Spain. If there's any (other) specific demands that France could make, then do tell me since otherwise it seems quite satisfactory to me.

Because the Spanish specifically refused to cede Florida in the negotiations of the third treaty of San Ildefonso. Partitioning Portugal meanwhile has little interest to France and the installation of Peter Charles is to appease Spain. If there's any (other) specific demands that France could make, then do tell me since otherwise it seems quite satisfactory to me.
But if Napoleon is committing to helping Spain against Portugal, offering more of Italy to the Spanish king's grandson, and marrying a daughter of the same, then he can ask for Florida again.

Deleted member 143920

I have made further changes to the TL: only Josephine dies, a few subtle differences in the negotiations with the French and Spanish Bourbons and minor language adaptations for each chapter. Apologies for any confusion or disappointment, but I want to provide the best experience when reading this TL.

4: Peace awaits in Portugal

Deleted member 143920

"I had expected nothing less of a total victory" - Napoleon

Napoleon had demanded that an expeditionary force be prepared for the 14th of June, coinciding with his victory at Marengo; subsequently, headed by his brother in law Leclerc, it invaded Portugal the following day. He'd planned for a joint assault, the French following the Douro and capturing Porto, while Godoy and the Spanish would use the Tagus and capture Evora. However, news arrived at French headquarters that Spain was unable to assemble a field army in due time because of lack of coordination and desertion and so a change of plan would be made: Leclerc would follow the Tagus and capture Lisbon immediately.

As the advance began, the Portuguese burnt all that could be useful, evacuated it's citizens, including the royal family onboard a ship headed towards Brazil and allowed for militia to wreck havoc on the French supply lines. The army itself retreated, awaiting promised British support. In London meanwhile, the new theatre brought hope and anger. The invasion was a clear provocation, but neither could Britain assemble an effective army able to resist the French. Thus, with rumours of an non-existent Spanish army, a diversionary landing would be made at Corunna to cut the French supply lines and force a retreat, while the Portuguese were expected to give battle outside Lisbon.

However, Leclerc's rapid advance into Portugal meant that he'd outflanked, and routed their entire army before the month was out, just as the British had landed. On July 2nd, Lisbon had fallen following a brief siege, and Portugal sued for peace. Napoleon had achieved his desired goal, but it would not bring the immediate peace he had arrogantly hoped for; only after intense negotiations, some major concessions and the possibility of a stalemate would each side finally accept peace.

[Author's note] Sorry for the lack of in-depth military analysation, but I'm not a military genius

Last edited by a moderator:
I also will point out that teh relations between Murat and Napoleon are far better in this TL as Napoleons marriage with Marie Louise strained their relationship a lot.

It would also help if Lannes and Murat aren't in their rivalry and Napoleon gives the title of Viceroy to Murat while letting Eugene actually rule the place.

I have made further changes to the TL: only Josephine dies, a few subtle differences in the negotiations with the French and Spanish Bourbons and minor language adaptations for each chapter. Apologies for any confusion or disappointment, but I want to provide the best experience when reading this TL.
I am glad who Hortense and Caroline are still alive and nice update

Interesting POD choice here. One interesting butterfly is that without the Beauharnais' planteur interests, Napoléon may never reinstate slavery as he did IOTL in 1802. This alone would have pretty wide ranging implications, from France's relationship with Haiti to how he's remembered after his reign. It was easily his most despicable decision.

5: Portugal, perfidious Albion and the Habsburgs

Deleted member 143920

"I disprove of his judgement, but it brought peace to Europe to which I am forever grateful." - Napoleon

Leclerc, however loyal to his brother-in-law, was prepared to use initiative. Upon the Portugal's capitulation, he demanded that not only she end her historic alliance with England and install Pedro-Carlos on the throne as had been described to him, but he also threatened to abolish her nation altogether if she refused to cede all the territory south of the Tagus to Spain. His reasoning was to punish Portugal for 'insubordination' and promise Spain that the First Consul was not to be betrayed should that scenario ever occur [1].

Meanwhile, the hopeless British expedition was all but doomed had it not been for the subsequent negotiations. In Holland, the British agreed to recognize all previous French treaties, end her hostilities, withdraw it's forces from Egypt and return Cape Colony to the Batavian Republic and all previous French colonial possessions to France. Napoleon was to recognise the sovereignty of (the remaining territory of-) Portugal, agree to cession of all British occupied colonial territory other than Cape Colony and France's returned colonial Empire, withdraw French forces from the Papacy and Naples, agree to the definition of the borders of French Guiana and the exchange of prisoners and Hostages [2]. The treaty was to prove turbulent at best.

The Habsburgs were unable to react to a peace that they viewed with contempt. Having been defeated in battle, they now sought to isolate Bonaparte diplomatically; beginning with the deposed French Bourbons. Marie Therese, to her reluctance, was to finally marry Archduke Charles (after some previous attempts had failed) and the Bourbon court was moved to Vienna for their safety, after growing collaboration between Tsar Paul and the First Consul was exposed.

Europe was finally at peace, but already the great powers were preparing for the next 'inevitable' war. Napoleon meanwhile, would enjoy the peace for reforming and stabilising France; his own ambitions, would also soon be realised.

[1] I decided to cede southern Portugal to Spain as it would weaken the country and provide Spain with the sense that Napoleon is a reliable ally, especially after I harshened the terms of the treaty between them from OTL. Also, it is an example to them that their country will be partitioned if they betray him.
[2] I only included the major terms of this peace as everything minor shouldn't have much of an impact. Also, the treaty itself is mostly the same.

6: A Bourbon wife for Revolutionary France

Deleted member 143920

"I admit, he is difficult to follow" - Talleyrand

News of the Habsburg marriage with the [French] Bourbons was not received well within Paris, and it reminded Napoleon that he could never be too safe from another war. Meanwhile, his own marriage was assured when as promised, Maria Isabella was married by proxy on her anniversary and subsequently sent to France. His first glance of her was that of disappointment, as he described her to Talleyrand as short and "rounded like a canon ball" while her childish persona reminded him of how young she was; her disinterest in almost everything only worsened his opinion.

Napoleon sought to cancel the marriage, but Talleyrand reminded him of his desire for a royal bride, and that cancelling the marriage would cause an unnecessary diplomatic disaster with now allied Spain, describing that "diplomacy is a battlefield of words, not guns". Moreover, negotiations began with the Papacy to restore Catholicism within France while the new Portuguese Bourbons provided the First Consul with another, albeit reluctant ally.

By contrast, London and Vienna were unsettled: The recent 'assassination' of Russia's Tsar a few months earlier, Bonaparte's consolidation of power and frequent overtures, Prussia's continued neutrality and Spain's alliance with France all encouraged them to believe that the status quo was unsustainable. Meanwhile, Napoleon's ambition sought new glory elsewhere - beginning with Saint-Domingue [1].

[1] Haiti is the next chapter