Le rêve d'un Corse: A Napoleonic TL

• Thread starter Deleted member 143920
  • Start date

Deleted member 143920

I’m not quite following who is marrying whom but other than that it is getting interesting.

To clarify, my original plan was for Napoleon to marry Maria Isabella of Spain, but I became interested in the idea that he could marry Marie Therese instead; so I left the overall descion for Napoleon's remarriage for the next chapter so I can have other people's opinions on whether my proposed reconciliation is possible, seeing as though they are very generous terms for the Bourbons in exchange for the marriage of a woman.

Meanwhile, Hortense, Caroline and Rapp are also dead, as they were in the same carriage as Josephine.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, my original plan was for Napoleon to marry Maria Isabella of Spain, but I became interested in the idea that he could marry Marie Therese instead; so I left the overall descion for Napoleon's remarriage for the next chapter so I can have other people's opinions on whether my proposed reconciliation is possible, seeing as though they are very generous terms for the Bourbons in exchange for the marriage of a woman.

I got that part. Would these generous terms be enough for the French Bourbons (in exile) to forget their snobbishness?

Anyway, how would this marriage change the whole geopolitical situation in Europe? The Bourbons may be happy (but would anybody care?) but Nappy is the same SOB trying to expand his sphere of influence to the whole Germany and Italy. None of the Great Powers fought him for the Bourbon’s sake.
Meanwhile, Hortense, Caroline and Rapp are also dead, as they were in the same carriage as Josephine.

Deleted member 143920

I got that part.
Ah, my bad. Sorry.
Would these generous terms be enough for the French Bourbons (in exile) to forget their snobbishness?
Probably not, but I think they'd agree to the marriage.
Anyway, how would this marriage change the whole geopolitical situation in Europe? The Bourbons may be happy (but would anybody care?) but Nappy is the same SOB trying to expand his sphere of influence to the whole Germany and Italy. None of the Great Powers fought him for the Bourbon’s sake.
Even if they opposed it, there isn't much they can do as Europe is at the verge of peace.

Edit: the date of my 2nd chapter is January 1801, so France and Austria, whilst beginning their negotiations, are technically still at war. Meanwhile Britain was IOTL, a year away from making peace.

Ah, my bad. Sorry.

Probably not.

Even if they opposed it, there isn't much they can do as Europe is at the verge if peace.
Europe was in peace before the 3rd Coalition was created: excuse always can be found. Nappy’s marriage may remove the (insignificant) Bourbon component but how about the British and Austrian interests?

Deleted member 143920

Nappy’s marriage may remove the (insignificant) Bourbon component but how about the British and Austrian interests?
Austria is easier to satisfy than Britain; given some alternate decisions made by Napoleon. However a sustainable long term agreement that sees France and Britain at peace would involve concessions from both sides, and perhaps a continued war while the rest of Europe is at peace (spoiler which will be explained in an upcoming chapter).

Spain is going to be perturbed if they learn of this marriage proposal and Tuscany. By the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso returning Louisiana to France, the deposed royal family of Parma is/was supposed to be compensated with a (larger) state elsewhere. Or will the Kingdom of Italy be going to them ITTL?

Austria is easier to satisfy than Britain; given some alternate decisions made by Napoleon. However a sustainable long term agreement that sees France and Britain at peace would involve concessions from both sides, and perhaps a continued war while the rest of Europe is at peace (spoiler which will be explained in an upcoming chapter).
You have to do something about the navy. Once there's somethin like Trafalgar, there's unlikely to be peace with Britain in Napoleon's lifetime.

Deleted member 143920

Spain is going to be perturbed if they learn of this marriage proposal and Tuscany. By the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso returning Louisiana to France, the deposed royal family of Parma is/was supposed to be compensated with a (larger) state elsewhere. Or will the Kingdom of Italy be going to them ITTL?
I can't reveal too many spoilers, but should Napoleon marry Maire Therese, then I will admit that a Napoleonic marriage for Maria Isabella is nevertheless guaranteed, as is the compensation of the the family of Parma, albeit in a more... sophisticated way.

You have to do something about the navy. Once there's somethin like Trafalgar, there's unlikely to be peace with Britain in Napoleon's lifetime.
Trafalgar won't happen, but as I had replied to @alexmilman , something else will...

I can not see Marie Therese ever accepting such match when in OTL she refuted to marry Archduke Karl (Franz II wanted that match and had offered an Archduchess to Angouleme as compensation) as she believed who that was her parents‘ will (while Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette had planned a domestic match the intended groom was most likely Chartres, but that would not be possible after the betrayal of his father).

Deleted member 143920

I can not see Marie Therese ever accepting such match when in OTL she refuted to marry Archduke Karl (Franz II wanted that match and had offered an Archduchess to Angouleme as compensation) as she believed who that was her parents‘ will (while Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette had planned a domestic match the intended groom was most likely Chartres, but that would not be possible after the betrayal of his father).
She refused the match with Karl because of her personal disdain for her Habsburg relatives; they'd made no serious attempt at trying to save her family during the revolution. Meanwhile, Napoleon is offering financial and territorial compensation. Given some persuasion, I think it could happen.

Deleted member 143920

Also, if she refuses a marriage with Napoleon, then whom could she marry?

She refused the match with Karl because of her personal disdain for her Habsburg relatives; they'd made no serious attempt at trying to save her family during the revolution. Meanwhile, Napoleon is offering financial and territorial compensation. Given some persuasion, I think it could happen.
I can not see her marrying Napoleon, who in her mind is an usurper and a nobody for birth.
That's the obvious choice, even if his father Charles opposed it. Perhaps Francis 1st as previously mentioned? (Once Maria Clementina dies)
Pretty unlikely match. She would marry either Angouleme or Teschen, and she would marry pretty soon

3: An alliance across the Pyrenees

Deleted member 143920

The Spanish court grew suspicious upon learning of the First Consul's debacle with the French Bourbons, but nevertheless continued their negotiations. As for Austria, her recent treaty of Luneville, concluded in early February [1], ensured that only Britain remained in direct opposition to Napoleon. Thus, to cease the near decade long war with Britain, he offered an alliance to Spain and proposed the following terms:
  • Spanish Louisiana is to be ceded to France
  • Spanish Florida is to be ceded to France
  • Ferdinand, Duke of Parma is to abdicate and cede his territory to the Subalpine Republic [Piedmont]
  • Spain is to provide six ships of war in good condition built for seventy-four guns
  • Infanta Maria Isabella is to marry First Consul Bonaparte upon her twelfth anniversary by proxy, and subsequently sent to France.
  • Louis of Bourbon-Parma, son of Ferdinand, is to be crowned King of Etruria, consisting of the previous Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Republic of Lucca, and Principality of Piombino.
  • Following a joint invasion of Portugal, the Portuguese nephew of Charles 4th, Peter Charles of Bourbon-Braganza is to be installed as King of Portugal
Upon consulting his King, Chief minister Manuel Godoy unenthusiastically agreed to the overture. Wanting to end the war, Napoleon hoped that a Spanish alliance and an invasion of Britain's oldest ally would force her into negotiations. However, as the treaty of Aranjuez was concluded, Napoleon seemingly ignored the fatal calculation that the ill-prepared nation of the decadent Spanish Bourbons would be unable to commit to the promise of a Portuguese invasion; the debacle that subsequently ensued would either bring total victory, or a humiliating defeat for the soon-to-be Emperor of the French.

[1] This is exactly the same as IOTL

Deleted member 143920

I've come to the conclusion that while a marriage with Marie Therese was possible, it would've been too unlikely for me to use it as a scenario for this TL. With that said, I hope you've all enjoyed this chapter and please continue to provide feedback.

Marie Therese as in the Madam Royal? Well that might be interesting since perhaps in this timeline she might have children, but unfortunately (for her at least) it would be with someone she would consider a usurper.

Deleted member 143920

Marie Therese as in the Madam Royal? Well that might be interesting since perhaps in this timeline she might have children, but unfortunately (for her at least) it would be with someone she would consider a usurper.
The marriage could've been possible, but Napoleon knew that restoring the monarchy would make him lose credibility. That said, I do have other plans for Marie Therese.

I've come to the conclusion that while a marriage with Marie Therese was possible, it would've been too unlikely for me to use it as a scenario for this TL. With that said, I hope you've all enjoyed this chapter and please continue to provide feedback.
Why is the offer to Spain so different from OTL?