LBJ accidentally shot hours after JRK killed

According to a new book by Gerald Blaine, "The Kennedy Detail," LBJ was almost shot only a few hours after JFK's assassination. Blaine was part of the Kennedy security detail and was assigned to LBJ's house in Washington the night after JRK died when he heard footsteps. Here's the quote from the book:

Instinctively Blaine picked up the Thompson submachine gun and activated the bolt on top. The unmistakable sound was similar to racking a shotgun. He firmly pushed the stock into his shoulder, ready to fire. He'd expected the footsteps to retreat with the loud sound of the gun activating, but they kept coming closer. Blaine's heart pounded, his finger firmly on the trigger. Let me see your face, you bastard.

The next instant, there was a face to go with the footsteps.

The new President of the United States, Lyndon Baines Johnson, had just rounded the corner, and Blaine had the gun pointed directly at the man's chest. In the blackness of the night, Johnson's face went completely white.

A split second later, Blaine would have pulled the trigger...

Blaine struggled to regain his composure as the reality of what had just happened washed over him. Fourteen hours after losing a president, the nation had come chillingly close to losing another one.

What if Blaine had pulled the trigger and accidentally killed the new President?

The first question is what would we have been told? Would we have been told the truth, that an agent accidentally killed him? I doubt it.

What would have happened to Blaine? How would whatever we were told have affected Oswald, Ruby and the Warren Commission? More importantly how would it have affected the nation and the rest of the 60s?

John William McCormack, then Speaker of the House, would have become President. What kind of president would he have been? Would he have acted differently on Civil Rights, the War on Poverty and Vietnam? What would have happened to Robert F. Kennedy with a different President?

This new information seems like a great subject for discussion here. What do you all think?

The first thing I thought of was conspiracy theory * infinity.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about McCormak.

The typo in the title of this thread made me realize that while John Fitzgerald Kennedy sounds like a nice guy, John Riztgerald Kennedy sounds like a freaking badass.

Anyways on topic I have to agree with RogueBeaver, although it may possibly be Rockefeller who gets trounced in '64.

With all (self) fundraising records being vaporized within 48 hours. :D No debates, because RFK and Goldwater hate each other's guts, dating back about a decade. "... always struck me as a mean little jackass, with that slicked-back hair and high-pitched voice." On the other side, Barry's an idiot.

I actually wrote the first few updates for a timeline with a POD similar to this. However, after rereading it I realized that it was really awful and decided not to post it.

RogueBeaver and Norton are the real experts on this aspect of American politics. I am afraid I am not as knowledgeable here as them. I've probably made a myriad of errors below.

McCormack, at the time of the assassination was having lunch with a colleague near the Capitol building. I've heard references to an article he wrote himself about what he would do, but for the life of me I cannot find it anywhere.

From my research, I would guess that he would probably act initially as Johnson did, address the people to calm them and wrap himself in the Kennedy legacy to "finish the work" Kennedy started. However, after the first few hours the differences between the men would become apparent. I am going to assume that he serves the remainder of the term.

It is important to consider that A.) McCormack is a Catholic, B.) From Boston, C.) Very liberal and D.) Seventy-one years old at the time making him the oldest President to serve. Although he most certainly would be in support of civil rights, I think he would be less effective in getting them passed. Although Johnson had his faults, he was very adept at intimidating his peers into supporting legislation. McCormack does not have nearly the same presence as his predecessor.

The only reliable source regarding his views on Vietnam I could find was a single source in an old library book that said he hesitantly supported it. I am not sure what would happen there.

Due to his age, he is probably a one term president. If he plays the public well, he might be remembered positively as a "Torchbearer President".

Last edited:
I'm pretty sick right now, so I can't chime in in any long thought out way, which is the proper way this should be responded to since I think it's an interesting scenario. I'll try to give my opinion at some point.

You can all find what a RFK presidency would look like in my TL The Impossible Dream. In terms of 1965-9, there would be no combat troops sent to 'Nam, legislation proceeds a bit slower but still goes through because of the 2-1 Dem congressional majorities.

I think being nominated for the presidency would pull him out of what was a defacto clinical depression within a few weeks. By the spring of '65 IOTL he had returned to his normal personality.

You have to resign the Speakership to become Acting President. Would the 71-year-old McCormack do this? Would the 86-year-old President pro tem (Carl Hayden)? Or would they both step aside and allow Secretary of State Dean Rusk to lead America through this crisis?

Whoever takes over, whether immediately or in a couple years, is going to be viewed as the "mastermind" by conspiracy theorists. Just like some of them view LBJ today.

You have to resign the Speakership to become Acting President. Would the 71-year-old McCormack do this? Would the 86-year-old President pro tem (Carl Hayden)? Or would they both step aside and allow Secretary of State Dean Rusk to lead America through this crisis?

That would be ironic.

From 1886 to 1947 the Sec of State was next in line after the VP. It was changed because some people though the successor should be an elected official rather than an appointed one. Should McCormack and Hayden decline, then the first time the double vacancy arose, it would in effect have been resolved as provided by the old law rather than the new.

I'm curious as to the fate of then-Secret Service Agent Gerald Blaine. I mean, it was an accident and all, but he did just gun down the new President during a time of national crisis. He's outta work for sure, but will he get some manslaughter charges? Will the conspiracy guys egg his house every year for the next fifty years?

There's going to be some re-training of the Secret Service after this incident. Rule #1 - Be careful not to gun down the President while trying to protect him.

Would it even be allowed to become public knowledge? I suspect the details of LBJ's demise would be covered up, for the obvious reason that the truth would lead to more paranoia then a cover-up would.

I'm curious as to the fate of then-Secret Service Agent Gerald Blaine. I mean, it was an accident and all, but he did just gun down the new President during a time of national crisis. He's outta work for sure, but will he get some manslaughter charges? Will the conspiracy guys egg his house every year for the next fifty years?

There's going to be some re-training of the Secret Service after this incident. Rule #1 - Be careful not to gun down the President while trying to protect him.

Actually, I suspect he himself would be gunned down by the first other Agent to arrive on the scene.

Seriously, right after the President is shot by a sniper you find someone standing over the new President's body with a smoking SMG. Ideally you'd arrest him, but all he has to do is twitch wrong and he's a corpse.

John William McCormack in 1965

5103874794_78d0c7dc6e.jpg