• Aaron Burr (R-NY)

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • John Laurens (F-SC)

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Other (if you select this right them)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IC: With the retirement of President Jay and the ending of the Treason Trials, many politicians in Washington City have been tainted. Madison and Jefferson attempted to circumvent the legal system and the Constitution.

Alexander Hamilton is not running and is citing a temporary return to private practice (rumor is he is broke) and a close friendship with the Federalist candidate General John Laurens hero of the recent Planter War.

General Laurens' own conduct has been called into question as well considering his parade of the Traitor 4 through the streets of Washington City (rather brash conduct) and his personal hatred of some of the Traitors. It seemed as though the death of His Excellency George Washington took a toll on General Laurens.

Republican James Monroe a Senator from Virginia is mostly known for not saying much except his animus to the tariff of 1800. His known to be an associate of former Vice President Jefferson

Republican Aaron Burr former Senator from New York and Colonel in the New York Militia during this recent trouble is well known for being the Defense Attorney in the recent cases of Butler, Macon, Hampton, Jackson V. United States. Brilliantly argued by him and co-counsel Edmund Randolph. Col. Burr left the proceedings have made a semi valid case for acquittal despite the efforts of the Supreme Court and the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Candidates are:

James Monroe (R-VA)

Aaron Burr (R-NY)

John Laurens (F-SC)

Other (if selected please indicate who in a post)

OOC: If you have read my TL please select one of the following. If you haven't you can play too; just indicate you aren't follower so I can help sort through the data.

Last edited:
<happily crunches abstruse numbers>

Connecticut 9 Laurens 9 King
Delaware 3 Laurens 3 King
Georgia 6 Burr 6 Monroe
Kentucky 8 Monroe 8 Burr
Maryland 11 Burr 11 Laurens
Massachusetts 19 Burr 17 Monroe 2 Laurens
New Hampshire 7 Burr 7 Monroe
New Jersey 8 Burr 7 Monroe 1 Laurens
New York 19 Burr 17 Monroe 2 Laurens
North Carolina 14 Burr 14 Monroe
Ohio 3 Burr 3 Monroe
Pennsylvania 20 Burr 20 Monroe
Rhode Island 4 Burr 4 Monroe
South Carolina 10 Laurens 10 Burr
Tennessee 5 Monroe 5 Burr
Vermont 6 Burr 6 Monroe
Virginia 24 Monroe 24 ?
Laurens 38
Monroe 138
Burr 150
King 12
24 ??

I agree, sir. Unfortunately, this election is going to lead to regional tensions...it will become clear eventually that Burr double-crossed Monroe by getting D-R partisans he has a relationship with (NY and nearby states) to vote for Burr and a Federalist. Monroe will be campaigning against Burr pretty vehemently in 1808...Burr has an irrational distrust of Virginians, regarding the whole state as some sort of sinister hive-mind with Jefferson at its center. c'est la vie. Of course, Virginia got them back...it thinks of itself as the most important state and is quite miffed about having two NY Presidents in a row. That's not Monroe's fault, but Burr will still loathe him for it.

Ooh...Burr was a strong proponent of education and voting rights for women. Granted, it's not an idea that has a lot of national traction, but I wonder if we see some sort of initiative from him? Is there a woman who could hold a Cabinet position, I wonder?

Edit: I didn't really factor in either incumbency nor dynasty considerations. I suppose I can just say they cancelled each other out...sigh.

Last edited:
and here I was going to let the Board play the Electors and go from there. I do enjoy you hypothetical and will think on it.

I assume the King you have there is Rufus King?

Unfortunately I already threw my lot in with Laurens...whatever some may say about his conduct in the war, I personally think the traitors deserved nothing less. Anyway I do hope this stalemate is ended soon...

I'm thinking Laurens. He'll be fifty in 1804, which puts him closer to the end of his life. Mostly, in my opinion with the fairly, if not relatively very successful two terms of Jay, as the front runner Federalist candidate, I think he'll pull a win.

I'm thinking Laurens. He'll be fifty in 1804, which puts him closer to the end of his life. Mostly, in my opinion with the fairly, if not relatively very successful two terms of Jay, as the front runner Federalist candidate, I think he'll pull a win.

He is a rather rugged individual and has certainly been in good health. IOTL John's father Henry was quite active into his 70s. You are correct that on average 50 is getting up there in the early 1800s. I don't foresee health problems for him or anyone.

Time to peddle

Since Burr is going to play a decent role in TTL's America I think that it is time to peddle another book: Fallen Founder-The Life of Aaron Burr

Has anyone read this book yet?

Yes it is my primary source for all things Burr :D. I think Dr. Isenberg did a very good job with someone so enigmatic. She does a good job of making him sympathetic even if she gives him more credit than I feel he deserves.