Status
Not open for further replies.
Map of the Locations of the Disney Parks
e2stQJi.jpg

--------------------------------
A man slumped down at the corner of an alleyway. He hadn’t showered in weeks, and his stomach rumbled incessantly. He was currently living off of a lone ham and cheese sandwich he’d managed to scrounge out of the trash, but he’d eaten that two… no, three days ago. It seemed as though life couldn’t get any worse for him. His dream of becoming a world-renowned artist was fading, and no one wanted the works he and his team had made so far. The man’s whole vision was going down the drain.

With no shame, he looked at the pile of trash sitting next to him and began rooting through it. Maybe he could find another sandwich, or an old apple, or a half-filled pack of cigarettes, or… wait, what was that?

Frantic, the man rummaged around some more and then triumphantly pulled out a quarter. This thing was pure gold, and with it, the man could maybe buy some food or something, but then again, he was also craving tobacco.

The man exited a small store a few minutes later, a tin of cigarettes under his arm, as he attempted to light one with his shaking hands. He took a puff, and sighed. But later that night, as his stomach growled and he got sicker and sicker (no food for way too long will do that to you), the man made up his mind about something.

“Goddamn it, that does it! I won’t smoke another cigarette until I can make sure I’ve got bread on the table every damn night!” he suddenly yelled, sitting up from the place he’d been sleeping on the floor of his cartoon studio.

Yes indeed, Walt Disney promised himself he’d never again touch a cigarette.

--------------------------------
Hello, and welcome to the grand beginning to my first-ever Alternate History timeline, Laughin' Place. It's going to be exploring a world where the man, the myth, the legend Walt Disney quits smoking at the lowest point of his life, when he was living in shambles in Kansas City during the late 1920s. While this is the POD, no real butterflies hit the timeline until December 10, 1966, the day Walt Disney died in our own timeline. After that, it's no-holds-barred on the entertainment industry as arguably the most creative person to walk the Earth heads into the 1970s and beyond...

*Note that this will be the only traditional map of the world in the series (most likely). All the others will be maps of different Disney Parks around the globe.

Last edited:
Disneyland Park
laEC7p4.png

-------------------------

By Paul Rodgers, Friday, July 17, 2015 10:00

To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past… and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America… with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.

These famous words were spoken sixty years ago to the day, by creative genius and living legend Walt Disney. Disneyland, a step above the seedy amusement parks that dotted the coasts of America and declaring itself to be a "theme" park, was the master's magnum opus, what his achievements in Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Snow White, and Fantasia had been leading up to since 1928. Every part of Disneyland had been designed with such care that despite the disastrous "Black Sunday" opening, where dozens of potentially disastrous mishaps occurred, the park has survived and thrived. Over the decades, two new lands have been added, others have undergone extreme expansions and renovations, and dozens of beloved attractions have come and gone as millions walked through the turnstiles and left today to enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

About This Happy Place
This Happy Place is the web's leading source of essential information and entertaining articles about Disney theme parks in Anaheim and beyond.

We are the world's largest theme park guide site, supporting detailed and descriptive guides to more than 90 theme parks around the globe. Find out more about us...

-------------------------

So, after about a month of wrestling with SketchUp, I finally managed to crank out my first real map in my Laughin' Place timeline, which aims to explore a world in which Walt Disney stopped smoking in the 1920s and went on to live much longer than he did in OTL. At some point, once a thread has been made for this project, I'll make other posts not attached to maps describing the ever-changing world of entertainment. However, don't expect any adverse effects on politics. I just want to imagine how the entertainment world changes as a whole, so the Soviet Union won't be collapsing any time sooner than OTL, just as an example.

Here's a list of attractions divided by land at Disneyland Park in ATL 2015.

Main Street, U.S.A.
-----------------------
No real attractions, but the Penny Arcade is an actual fully-functioning arcade, and all of its machines have been specially modified to only require a penny to stick with the name, and the Cinema actually has a few seats in it.

The Disneyland Railroad: This quote-unquote "attraction" (really more of an exhibition) begins its grand circle tour of the park here, with stations in New Orleans Square, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. To keep a nineteenth century train out of the twenty-second century, the railroad goes through three showbuildings in Tomorrowland, themed around time travel, prehistoric dinosaurs, and the concept of Tomorrowland itself.

Adventureland
-----------------
The Jungle Cruise: No changes from OTL. No Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson coming soon either.

Tropics Trek: Replacing Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye is a similar EMV ride that briefly crosses over with the Jungle Cruise before entering its own showbuilding. It's a fan favorite that draws long lines.

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room: No changes from OTL, minus the "Tropical Serenade" restaurant that's opened nearby where Aladdin's Oasis is IOTL. Tropical Serenade is a realization of the original "dinner-and-a-show" premise of the Tiki Room.

The Swiss Family Treehouse: I've never liked the expansion of other Disney characters into other lands and parks (they're supposed to stay in Fantasyland; I like Frozen enough, but it doesn't need to be invading Norway at Epcot's World Showcase), so no Tarzan here. It's the same as OTL, like most of the rest of this land.

New Orleans Square
------------------------
Pirates of the Caribbean: No Jack Sparrow, because obviously, the movies weren't exactly the same, nor did they come out at the same time. There still are Pirates of the Caribbean movies, though. Most of the sexism has been removed from the ride, although the Auction scene has still survived. In the Burning Town scene two highly sophisticated A-As engage in a sword duel, one pirate, one Spaniard.

The Haunted Mansion: For the Golden Anniversary of Disneyland, the Hatbox Ghost made his frightening return to the mansion a little earlier than OTL.

Frontierland
---------------
This place has gone a little insane in its sheer size. It stretches all the way around the north side of the Rivers of America, from OTL Critter Country to its Fantasyland border.

Big Lighting Mountain Railroad: The "wildest ride in the wilderness." It's pretty similar to Big Thunder, but instead has an iconic zigzag part of the track that gives it its name.

Western River Run: A slimmed-down port of Disney World's Western River Expedition. It's basically Pirates of the Caribbean, except instead of pirates it's cowboys and instead of the Caribbean it's the Wild Wild West.

Geyser Mountain: A drop-ride akin to OTL Tower of Terror, themed around a mining elevator. The ride climaxes with a titanic explosion of dynamite that launches guests to the highest point in the park, only for zero-g drop back down.

Tom Sawyer Island: An island playground themed around the backwoods Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn explored in Mark Twain's classic stories. No pirate invasion here.

Fantasyland
---------------
With no Fantasyland Theatre, there's a whole new world of space to put dark rides based on classic cash-cow franchises.

Snow White's Scary Adventures: Same as OTL.

Sleeping Beauty Castle Tour: Despite its name, the Castle Tour takes place nowhere in the actual castle, and is a dark ride themed around the story of the 1959 classic.

Cinderella: A dark ride taking the place of Peter Pan, Alice, and Mr. Toad, this does what's expected and summarizes the story of Cinderella for the kiddies.

The Enchanted Snow Palace: An original dark ride that inspired an animated movie based on the same fairytale. On the level of PotC, but at a much smaller scale.

Storybookland Canal Boats: A tour of miniatures based on exotic locations around the world. Characters are yet to invade this bastion of Walt Disney's creations.

Casey Junior Circus Train: A kiddie ride based on 1941's Dumbo. Not too exciting.

Dumbo's Flying Elephants: A classic spinner ride that somehow manages to draw long lines despite being exactly the same as a bland carnival ride.

Peter Pan Flight: Moved up north in the British trifecta, Peter Pan has gotten some room to breathe with a few more setpieces and an Omnimover system that severely cuts down on long lines.

Alice in Wonderland: Despite its move, not much has changed here.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: Without a doubt the most beloved attraction in the land, Mr. Toad has been completely reimagined into a high-octane EMV attraction. No more flat painted characters, although you still literally go to Hell at the end.

Mad Hatter's Mad Tea Party: The ride's made its second move, now all the way up north. Creates a serious bottleneck Disney should probably try and fix sometime soon.

it's a small world: This is another classic not invaded by characters. Still has that annoyingly catchy score, though.

Winnie the Pooh's Hunny Hunt: Another traditional dark ride exploring the Hundred Acre Wood.

Toontown
------------
Mickey Mousecapade: A speedy race through downtown Toontown in a competition between Mickey and Company.

The Rivers of Time: A flume ride that follows classic black-and-white Mickey alongside his long lost brother Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on a quest to take down the evil Big Bad Pete who's kidnapped Minnie and Ortensia.

DuckTales: An aerial ride that follows Uncle Scrooge, Donald, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie in the world of Carl Bark's Duckburg.

Tomorrowland
-----------------
Space Mountain: Renamed from its original name of "Space Port," Space Mountain has three tracks inside on three different thrill levels. The final level has one loop and two corkscrews.

Mission: Mars: A reimagination of the old-school Mission to Mars, now with real g-forces.

Adventure Thru Inner Space: Another reimagination, this one a take on the retro attraction of the same name.

The PeopleMover: Resurrected in 2005 from an untimely death, this attraction is just as pleasant as it ever was.

The Astro-Orbiter: Basically the same as Dumbo, except instead of thirteen feet up, it's thirty.

New Horizons: Another port from Disney World, this one exploring the past and future of all humanity.

Seabase Pacific: Replacing the rusty old Submarine Voyage is the shiny new Seabase Pacific, with orders to go deep into the Mariana Trench.

The Monorail: With connections to the rest of Disneyland Resort, five styles of monorail roam the tracks high above Tomorrowland.

Autopia: Now smaller, and featuring electric cars, the new way of the future in automobiles. Not banking on highways anymore, because it's not 1955 and all of Los Angeles is highway now.

Innovations: A place near New Horizons that shows off the latest in technologies currently being developed. Quite a cool place, actually, where big tech companies like Sony and Apple sometimes even send a few prototypes every now and then.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded Frozen Ever After quite so much if they had put it in in addition to a refurbishment of Maelstrom, or else a dark ride based on a hypothetical live-action Touchtone or Miramax version of Hrolf Kraki's Saga.

What gets my goat at EPCOT is a Guardians of the Galaxy thrill ride in Future World! I would have replaced Ellen's Energy Adventure with a dark ride about stellar life cycles.

What did Disney give up to Universal to get Oswald back this time?

What did Disney give up to Universal to get Oswald back this time?

Um... I'm not gonna share that bit of information yet. But just keep in mind that between Walt Disney's ATL death and the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in 2015, the Disney company gets a little trigger happy with buying up properties and other things. And it's less that Disney gave up something to Universal, and more like Universal gave something to them.

Last edited:
Mission: Mars is based on the attractions Mission to Mars and Rocket to the Moon, with a flare of inspiration from Mission Space. It's a five minute long trip that begins with a launch from Earth, then slingshots guests around the Moon and into the canyons of Mars. Its Disneyland incarnation is not interactive like Mission Space, but its sister attraction at Disney World, Solar Eclipse, is.

If this doesn't get canned, I'm interested in this.

I can tell you right now, this won't be canned. There may be a drought between map postings, but other bits of lore on movies, attractions and the like will come more often. I'm working on one right now, in fact.

It's a five minute long trip that begins with a launch from Earth, then slingshots guests around the Moon and into the canyons of Mars.

You just described Mission Space (the Orange Line, not the new fangled Green Line).

Love that you are bringing back Rivers of America.

You just described Mission Space (the Orange Line, not the new fangled Green Line).

Love that you are bringing back Rivers of America.

Oh. Honestly, I haven't been on Mission Space since I was probably ten, so the ride slipped my mind. Mission: Mars was basically in my head a better remake of Mission to Mars, with g-forces and everything. And the main difference here is that the rocket doesn't land on Mars at the end, it runs into what could be Martians and high-tails it back to a base on the Moon.

I wasn't aware the Rivers of America ever left?

A Tale as Old as Time: Walt Disney's Magnum Opus of Film
A Tale as Old as Time: Walt Disney's Magnum Opus of Film

Walt Disney always said, if he was going to return to film after Disneyland, it would be for Beauty and the Beast. It was one of the stories he'd attempted to adapt in the 1930s and later the 1950s, both to no avail. But now, as Disney World was taking off and Disneyland entered its fifteenth successful year, Walt knew his time with movies would be coming to a close soon. His heart had never been into an animated movie since Fantasia, his failed masterpiece, but just one last time, he would put his all into a movie.

Beauty and the Beast was in development for two years, but the amount of work done in that span of time would've more comfortably fit in five. Walt rarely left the studio, sleeping in his office and putting every ounce of creative energy into his work. In the future, many would compare his diligence at this time to when he was first working on Snow White, determined to make this last film his greatest yet.

Most would say he succeeded.

Beauty and the Beast released July 1, 1972 to critical acclaim the world over. It follows the story of a brilliant young French woman named Belle, the daughter of the laughingstock of her village, an eccentric inventor. (Her mother died during the plague.) Her father was one day returning home, and it began storming hard. He took shelter in a seemingly abandoned decaying castle. After warming himself by the fire and eating a pre-set meal, he stumbled upon the library, and decided to take a book and give it to his daughter.

This caused the Beast to appear, enraged. He'd been cursed by a witch years ago who he didn't give food and shelter to during a storm, transforming him into a beast and his staff into enchanted furniture unless he could convince a maiden to marry him before his twentieth birthday. Nowadays he always gave strangers help during storms, but hid himself. Belle's father had gone too far, though, and he decided to keep him captive as punishment. A talking letterm was sent to Belle, who rushed to her dad's aid and offered to take his place instead.

The Beast agreed, and for the following nights Belle explored the castle, meeting house servants and being slowly charmed by the Beast himself.

Back at home, her father tried to get help to free her, but most of the villagers wrote him off as a crackpot until Gaston, the buffest boi in town, rallied them himself, wanting Belle for his own and throwing the old man out. Meanwhile, Belle was falling in love with the Beast, until she saw through her magic mirror that the townsfolk were coming with torches and pitchforks. The ensuing battle took place on two levels, a humorous one in the main hall between the villagers and furniturized servants, and an emotional one between Belle, the Beast, and Gaston up on the ramparts. The film ends with Gaston "accidentally" falling to his doom and Belle kissing the Beast just as dawn breaks on his birthday morning, returning him to his normal handsome state and the servants back into humans.

Beauty was the last film created by Walt Disney himself, and it has ended up grossing one billion dollars from its 1972 release (adjusted for inflation and including re-releases in 1980, 1988, 1992, 2005, and 2015).

----------------

Enjoy.

Last edited:
That’s before the OTL trend of making every voice a celebrity.

Songs are probably by some amazing, but very affordable studio talent.

Oh. Honestly, I haven't been on Mission Space since I was probably ten, so the ride slipped my mind. Mission: Mars was basically in my head a better remake of Mission to Mars, with g-forces and everything. And the main difference here is that the rocket doesn't land on Mars at the end, it runs into what could be Martians and high-tails it back to a base on the Moon.

I wasn't aware the Rivers of America ever left?

I meant Western River Run - that was supposed to go in the OTL Disney World instead of Pirates but Pirates was a such a hit in California that they ended up going with Pirates instead. Glad to see you've brought it back.

I meant Western River Run - that was supposed to go in the OTL Disney World instead of Pirates but Pirates was a such a hit in California that they ended up going with Pirates instead. Glad to see you've brought it back.

Yeah. I don't think Disney was in a very good position when the fans were demanding PotC at MK in OTL, considering Walt had just died and WDW was essentially make-or-break for the Disney Parks at the time. But Walt Disney was always for trying something new, and no amount of crowd displeasure is going to change that. The way I see it, Western River Expedition opened in MK, everyone loved it, and then Imagineers rushed a condensed port to DL. PotC later made it to MK as well, but entirely reimagined (a la DLP's OTL PotC).

Status
Not open for further replies.