Laughin' Place: Redefining Disney

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by HeX, Oct 18, 2018.

1. woweed New Hippie

Hopefully, he'll not be a dickhead ITTL.

2. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Shrek will not be made ITTL, though there is a similarly sarcastic take on fairytales coming up in Disney's animated pipeline. Dreamworks also won't even be founded.

He won't be a dickhead, due to some mentorship at the hands of Walt. Similarly, George Lucas' eccentricities of the OTL Prequel Trilogy/Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, as well as his general failings as a filmmaker, are butterflied due to his close relationship with Walt.

3. TheFaultsofAlts Well-Known Member

I have a good question. How many shows, both acquired and original, have been on The Disney Channel as of February 1980? And does Walt plan on entering syndication for his programs at any point?

4. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Right now, TDS has essentially been coasting along on its original lineup, with Star Wars: The Animated Series drawing the most viewers (it's one of the most popular TV shows of the 1980s) and the other shows and Disney's huge backcatalog of movies and cartoons filling in the rest of the time. I'll be doing a post come 1981 looking at the new shows that debut on the channel between 1979 and 1981, so hold your horses for specifics.

5. PNWKing There's Still Hope Out There!

So, will Sony enter the film business?
    Did Superman even come out?
    Has HBO launched yet?

6. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Sony's entry is still up in the air at the moment.

Superman did indeed come out, and did as well as OTL. For the duration of the 1980s, if I don't explicitly mention a movie or TV show or video game or something, just assume that it exists.

HBO also launched the same time as IOTL, seeing as it began broadcasting in 1972 and none of my butterflies could have touched it yet.

7. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

I'm the only one liked shrek? the animation still hold up a lot(unlike toy story humans or some texture in nemo)

8. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

I liked Shrek too. But not the way to affected animation in the long run.

9. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

I think people overblow that...you could say Toy Story doomed 2D with the same arguments that shrek too

10. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

Speaking of HBO, is it possible that the Time-Warner merger was butterflied ITTL, remaining separate companies?

11. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

True. But in Shrek's case it's mostly due to all the copy cats that came along.

Kalvan likes this.
  12. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

copycats came since bugs even.

13. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I like Shrek a lot, in fact I'd venture to say that the first and second movies in the franchise are some of the best animated movies ever made, period. They do a nice job of picking apart and mocking Disney and its more traditional fairytale style, and opened the doors for more animated movies, including Disney's, to use more subversion and humor as storytelling techniques.

The true crime of Shrek has nothing to do with the movie itself, but what it did to the animation industry. These days, we get garbage movies every single year from terrible studios like Illumination, Dreamworks, and Sony Pictures Animation (harbingers of Despicable Me 3, Shrek 4, and The Emoji Movie), movies that lean upon Shrek's trademark crude humor far too often, a style that only worked then because Shrek is an ogre and Dreamworks was making a caricature of Disney animated movies, which would never dare to be crude. It makes sense then, but why are there constant poop jokes in stuff like The Secret Life of Pets?

Considering TimeWarner didn't form until 1990, there is a good chance butterflies will make exactly what you want come true.

14. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

My point exactly. That said, I'd say later Dreamworks and Sony are worse offenders than Illumination.

HonestAbe1809 and Nivek like this.
  15. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

That might means trouble for HBO, with timewarner they got cheap movies and the fund for their series too

16. eldandythedoubter Well-Known Member

I have a sports related question: Is anyrhing going to butterfly anaheim sports (the owners of the mighty ducks) or disney wide world of sports (home of the orlando city soccer club from 2010-2014)?

17. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I'm not gonna say anything about Anaheim sports yet, but the ESPN Wide World of Sports Center is definitely butterflied, as are the purchases of ESPN and ABC, two events that went down under Michael Eisner's tenure. No Eisner at Disney equals no ESPN or ABC.

GJohn902 and Nivek like this.
  18. alpal2214 Well-Known Member

I believe that these are major SPOILERS!
    Nice to see that 2D will still live on though.

HeX likes this.
  19. Unknown Member

Lassater appears to have been just a massive asshole, not a sexual abuser, IIRC, so his behavior is the easiest to change ITTL...

HeX, HonestAbe1809 and Nivek like this.
  20. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

That was a good movie , Shrek 3 was a bad movie