Laughin' Place: Redefining Disney

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by HeX, Oct 18, 2018.

1. eldandythedoubter Well-Known Member

Maybe you could have the top design be what Elsa looks like in the beginning and one of the latter 3 be Elsa at the Climax.

2. PNWKing There's Still Hope Out There!

Since Fox has no Star Wars and Heaven's Gate in it's place, then who will buy 20th Century Fox? Hopefully it will be anyone but Murdoch ITTL. Specifically, it could be anything like Turner, PepsiCo, Seagram, Sony, or an investor like Robert Maxwell or even Donald Trump.

connorCD and Nivek like this.
  3. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

I would like Turner, he would love their library for TCM, Sony could work too(and turner got columbia instead)

4. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

Unless Columbia is of course still owned by Coca-cola ITTL.

Nivek likes this.
  5. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

My bets are on either Turner, MGM or someone else entirely. Most likely the first two considering they'd want to acquire someone now that UA is still live and kicking.

6. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Quite a few buyers will be lining up once Heaven's Gate sinks Fox. Sony will be one of them, as will PepsiCo, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (the guys who bought United Artists IOTL), Paramount (looking to beef up their lineup for the PTS, though they may be satiated with part of Fox's library they may get from a bankruptcy auction), and Hershey, as well as a few smaller, mostly unrecognized offers.

HonestAbe1809 likes this.
  7. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

Hershey? I was expecting atleast some contenders, but that would be the last company I would think of owning a renowned movie studio.

8. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I mean, with no Busch Gardens to contend with, Hersheypark will draw in more attendees (as well as Disney making theme parks even more popular than IOTL) and become both larger and more popular, making Hershey more open to buying a movie studio. I'm not saying they'll buy Fox, but that's my reasoning behind why they may consider it and/or other studios later on down the line.

HonestAbe1809 and connorCD like this.
  9. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

Works for me, I suppose. Hershey being part of the movie industry would an interesting idea to say the least.

dmg86 and HeX like this.
  10. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

I speculate that the most likely companies to buy FOX will be MGM (due to ambition), Sony (they were probably a large company at this point with lots of money) and Hershey (simply for the unique aspect of it). Also, I found something interesting on MGM's wikipedia page that said they actually tried to merge with FOX back in '71, but that never happened. If this event were true, then that gives MGM more likelihood to buy the company.

HeX and Nivek like this.
  11. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I could think of a worser owner for fox then Murdoch. Donald J Trump

Osakadave likes this.
  12. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I would go with pepsi or hershery. I like the idea of hollywood not becomeing oligopolic

13. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Um, whatever your stance on Trump's politics may be, you can't deny that he--a man with a net worth around three billion dollars--is a very good businessman. I don't mean to start a flamewar or anything, I'm just stating something that's pretty objective, like Steve Jobs being a good businessman.

I'm leaning towards MGM (because they seem the most likely) and Hershey (because I like that idea so much) myself.

Nivek and connorCD like this.
  14. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

Please go with hershey

Trump is good with real easate and not many other types of business. Trump went to show bossiness in American while he did produce some good flims like the usual suspects and good will hunting he also produce crap like soul plane and an utterly tasteless dub of princess monykoe.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  15. eldandythedoubter Well-Known Member

I can name one just as morally bankrupt: Carl Ichan.

16. connorCD I make bad threads that get little to no attention

I recommend we do not turn this into a political/economic argument, please. I do not want to see a good timeline like this turn into such a flamewar.

17. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Yes, please stop before the mods start nuking the TL.

18. HonestAbe1809 Abraham Lincoln 2020

I think you're mixing up American Magic with real life. None of that happened in real life.

19. PunMaster Well-Known Member

You know, here’s something I just thought of. If Astro Boy becomes one of the first huge anime shows to air in the United States, will that mean that another robot boy from Japan will receive an even warmer welcome than OTL? Mega Man being an even bigger smash hit would be interesting to see...assuming it still exists, of course.

Nivek and HeX like this.
  20. Nevermore All Killer, No Filler

Pepsi buying Fox is amusing to me if, for no other reason, than it'd mean they could continue the Cola Wars by other means if Coke still nabs Columbia ITTL. In all seriousness, I'd expect MGM to make a major play for Fox given the aforementioned attempted buyout in '71 already.

StomperYoshi, Nivek and HeX like this.