Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Nickelodeon at the time is at the same level as Sprout is now, will Walt be gunning to keep TDC to the OTL original vision of HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for the whole family, or will it be on basic cable? Will Warner Bros. still sell Warner-Amex Satellite Co. to Viacom, or will they start the Kid Cable Wars six years early? And if that last, what will happen to the Disney Afternoon? If Gulf+Western doesn't get Nickelodeon, will Paramount start up The Hub thirty or so years early? And what will happen to BET?

Anyone care to speculate?

nbcman

Donor
Good update! Can Eisner taking over butterfly away one of if not the worst movies that Universal produced - Xanadu. It started production in 79 and was probably getting green lit in 78. Although no Xanadu may also delay or butterfly away the Razzies.

EDIT: Although Xanadu may be harder to make if Don Bluth keeps working at Disney instead of doing the animation on Xanadu he did IOTL with his independent company.

Last edited:
Good update! Can Eisner taking over butterfly away one of if not the worst movies that Universal produced - Xanadu. It started production in 79 and was probably getting green lit in 78. Although no Xanadu may also delay or butterfly away the Razzies.

EDIT: Although Xanadu may be harder to make if Don Bluth keeps working at Disney instead of doing the animation on Xanadu he did IOTL with his independent company.

Xanadu is going to still be coming, but it's going to stay a low-budget, B-list disco flick and not turn into the overpriced box office failure of OTL. So not much to write home about. (The Razzies will be delayed, but not butterflied, because of it. There will be plenty of bad movies ITTL to inspire it.)

Hey, HeX, I know the perfect next directions for Disney's arcade games for when the Breakout well runs dry. They can premake the Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move and Magical Drop series using Classic Disney Shorts Characters. I can perfectly see Chip and Dale replacing Dino Bob and Bub, for example.

Hey, HeX, I know the perfect next directions for Disney's arcade games for when the Breakout well runs dry. They can premake the Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move and Magical Drop series using Classic Disney Shorts Characters. I can perfectly see Chip and Dale replacing Dino Bob and Bub, for example.

Sounds interesting... but I've already got a different direction for them to take.

Hope Olivia Newton-John avoids Xanadu ITTL...

With it being low-budget and low-profile, she definitely will.

So Pizza Time Theatre is a thing ITTL. Is Disney gonna return fire by creating Showbiz Pizza Place? Or will SPP still be created by Brock Peters and Aaron Fechter?

So Pizza Time Theatre is a thing ITTL. Is Disney gonna return fire by creating Showbiz Pizza Place? Or will SPP still be created by Brock Peters and Aaron Fechter?

The latter. Disney wouldn't see a point in opening a Pizza Time Theatre clone, as they already have their theme parks. (OTL's Club Disney was another folly of Eisner's but since Universal owns PTT, he wouldn't need to make something like that.)

The latter. Disney wouldn't see a point in opening a Pizza Time Theatre clone, as they already have their theme parks. (OTL's Club Disney was another folly of Eisner's but since Universal owns PTT, he wouldn't need to make something like that.)
I see a plus-side to Universal owning PTT:

No merger with SPP, meaning NO CONCEPT UNIFICATION.

But there's no reason why they couldn't have something similar to Pizza Time Theatre in the theme parks themselves. A fifties style diner serving pizza while Mickey and co perform as the entertainment sounds fun to me. And Disney's been on the cutting edge of audio-animatronics for close to two decades at this point.

I see a plus-side to Universal owning PTT:

No merger with SPP, meaning NO CONCEPT UNIFICATION.

SPP?

Showbiz Pizza Place. It was like PTT (and their combined modern-day form Chuck E. Cheese’s), but it had a better animatronic show.

Hopefully getting Universal's money means being able to have better animatronics in Pizza Time Theatre restaurants.

I just think it's impressive that the old Rockafire Explosion animatronics were able to find fame as a cover band in 2008.

But there's no reason why they couldn't have something similar to Pizza Time Theatre in the theme parks themselves. A fifties style diner serving pizza while Mickey and co perform as the entertainment sounds fun to me. And Disney's been on the cutting edge of audio-animatronics for close to two decades at this point.

Well, yeah, I just meant Disney won't be expanding into the "dinner-and-a-show" arcades like Chuck E. Cheese/PTT/SPP. Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café in Walt Disney World is similar to what a Disney version would be ITTL at a park.

Could we have Disney be the ones who bring over a certain Russian puzzle game?

Well, yeah, I just meant Disney won't be expanding into the "dinner-and-a-show" arcades like Chuck E. Cheese/PTT/SPP. Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café in Walt Disney World is similar to what a Disney version would be ITTL at a park.

A restaurant with an animatronic version of Mickey and friends just seems like it'd be easy to accomplish for Disney. Even if it isn't a stand-alone business.

Could we have Disney be the ones who bring over a certain Russian puzzle game?

A restaurant with an animatronic version of Mickey and friends just seems like it'd be easy to accomplish for Disney. Even if it isn't a stand-alone business.

1: That would be too rich to have Disney bring Tetris to the States, in my humble opinion.

2: Personally, if this were to happen, I'd make the foods named after Disney characters ITTL. I can already see "Darth Chocolate", as a play on words to "Dark Chocolate", on the menu in some capacity. Speaking of which, I didn't expect for George to not be aware of the premiere of Star Wars at all.

Smacking Down the Competition
Smackdown came out on February 3, 1978, and was ushered into a world consumed by Breakdown-mania. It was yet to be a year since its predecessor debuted, but Smackdown was full of improvements over its older sibling. While the base game of Breakdown is still present, new ways to play now exist in the form of Modes, which significantly changes up gameplay.

• Doubles: A new spin on Breakdown, Doubles does just what its name suggests, and doubles the amount of action onscreen by giving the player control of two paddles and hitting two balls.
  • Cavity: This game mode is initially very easy, with the player controlling two paddles and hitting just one ball. But soon two new balls are added, and if the player wishes, they can break another ball out of the "cavity" on the top of the screen to increase the difficulty and fun.
  • Continue: Doing away with the idea of two paddles and multiple balls, Continue plays like classic Breakdown, with one exception: the bricks slowly but surely move down the screen, and if they reach the bottom, it's game over.

Smackdown was perfect for a video game-starving America, and perhaps the best sequel ever made in gaming up to that point. But there was another, lesser known Breakdown sequel, which released just a week later to little fanfare: Breakdown 2.

Said to be one of Rolly Crump's pet projects that just happened to find a green light, Breakdown 2 bucks the trend of imaginative naming for Disney video games hard. But that's not a knock on its gameplay. The game is, essentially, vertical Pong, with two players controlling two paddles and attempting to break more bricks with their ball than their opponent. To denote who's hit which ball, the paddles are colored distinctly, and when a ball bounces off of it, it changes color to reflect the paddle's.

Smackdown quickly became just as popular as Breakdown, and it was more and more likely to find the two Disney games than a Pong machine. Indeed, Atari was struggling in the arcades, with most of their money coming in from their 2600 console and their parent company, MCA. Nolan Bushnell was also growing resentful of MCA, as his company was flooded with suits and the upstart Raymond Kassar vied for more power within Atari, fully supported by Michael Eisner and Lou Wasserman. It was no surprise that Bushnell was found, at one point, in the Tomorrowland Starcade at Disneyland, playing Breakdown and muttering about how he was going to kill Woody Woodpecker.

--From the article "Smacking Down Atari," on the blog The History of Gaming: Pong to Pac-Man and Everything Else, dated June 11, 2005

--------------------------------​

Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland
February 17, 1978

Freddie Mercury stood in the recording booth at Queen's newest studio. It was a long way away from London, but it was easy to get fed up with big city life as big-time celebrities. He and his bandmates needed to focus on the next album, Jazz.

"Alright Freddie... take it from the top," said Bryan May over the speakers. "Give it your all."

The guitar and drums started up in the background, and Freddie Mercury began to sing the lyrics to "Don't Stop Me Now," one of the band's favorite songs on the album.

"Tonight, I'm gonna have myself a real good time...
I feel ali-i-i-ive...
And the world... I'll turn it inside out, yeah
And floating around... in ecstasy...
So... don't stop me now...
Don't stop me
'Cause I'm having a good time, having a good time!
"

Back in the recording booth, the other members of Queen were loving how the vocals were turning out, until...

BRRRRIIIINNGGG! BRRRRIIIINNGGG!

"I'll get it," said one of them, picking up the phone. "This is Roger Taylor of Queen, speaking. What can I do for you?"

May returned his attention to Mercury.

"I'm burnin' through the sky, yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit!
I'm traveling at the speed of light!
I wanna make a supersonic woman of you!
"

"Uh huh," said Taylor over the phone. "Uh hu--wait how much money?"

"Who is it, Roger?" asked John Deacon.

"It's fuckin' Disney."

"You mean, like the movie studio?" questioned May.

"No, I mean Walt-fucking-Disney is on the phone with me right now."

"He is? What does he want?"

"He wants to know if we'd be willing to write and perform all the music for their new TV show, Star Wars: The Animated Series!"

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time,
I'm having a ball!
Don't stop me now,
If you wanna have a good time...
Just give me a call!
Don't stop me now,
'Cause I'm having a good time!
Don't stop me now...
Yes, I'm havin' a good time
I don't want to stop at all...
"

May cut into the speakers with Mercury. "Freddie, that was amazing, but get in here! We've got something big on the phone!"

--------------------------------
Atari World Headquarters, Sunnyvale, CA
February 18, 1978

Nolan Bushnell was swamped with work. Memos from men far above his pay grade littered his desk. A letter from Eisner himself reminded him that MCAUniversal was hounding Atari to fix up their arcade releases. And Raymond Kassar, sitting across from him, was his daily reminder that he didn't own his company anymore, but rather a soulless entertainment conglomerate.

"Mister Bushnell, I've received word from our parent company that Atari needs to shape up or ship out."

"I know, I know," sighed Bushnell. "Look at the 2600. It's been the best-selling video game console of this generation--hell, it's the best selling console ever. How is that not an accomplishment?"

"It is a small victory, but the real money is in the arcades. And you have not been keeping up that end of the bargain. Your next game, Super Breakout, which you said would take down Disney's Breakdown? Near lawsuit levels of copyied ideas. It can't be released, not if you don't want to be sued."

"Are you kidding me?" gasped Bushnell. "You-- we-- all that time, all that money, down the drain?"

"Yes, down the drain," replied an unmoved Kassar. "Another thing MCA is not pleased with."

"Alright, fine. Fine. Just... get out of here, Kassar. I don't want to see your face the rest of the day."

Kassar just shrugged. "It's your funeral."

Nolan Bushnell got back to work. A few hours later, his secretary buzzed in. "Mister Bushnell, a Japanese businessman is on line two."

"Thanks, Ellie," Bushnell said. "Hello."

"Hello, Mister Bushnell. I am calling on the behalf of the Japanese video game company named Taito. We would like to know if your company would be interested in distributing our next game in North America."

"Depends on how good it is."

"We can send you a prototype, if you like."

"That'd be great. What's it called?"

"Space Invaders."

Status
Not open for further replies.