Status
Not open for further replies.
Say, HeX, I have this outline for something involving Disney and electronics in the Eighties you might want to look at. Mind if I PM you this weekend?

Say, HeX, I have this outline for something involving Disney and electronics in the Eighties you might want to look at. Mind if I PM you this weekend?

Go right ahead. (Just keep in mind I do have some plans already, but I'm always open to suggestions.)

Well as we in the 70s most of the major players are not about yet. so I did not expert anything immediately. Still I hope that the uks classic dark rides like pro burps bubbleowrks will survive or at least be closer to what they were.

The Magic We Bring
Disneyland, Anaheim, CA
March 13, 1977

Walt was out on a stroll through Disneyland. It was one of his favorite things to do in life, just enter into a world crafted by his own imagination. There was nothing like it, not even the World over in Orlando could even hope to compare.

He took a turn around the bend of the Rivers of America, and looked out over the waters, past Tom Sawyer Island and to the opposite shore. There it was. Construction had just begun on the Western River Run, a slimmed-down version of the Magic Kingdom's Western River Expedition. Plans were already in place for the ride's brother, Big Lightning Mountain, to be built on the spot of the old Nature's Wonderland attractions, incorporating some of the town of Rainbow Ridge and surrounding architecture, like Cascade Peak, but overwhelmingly use brand new set pieces.

Walt's mind wandered, as he opened the filing cabinet that was his brain and flipped through it. He thought of the looming opening of their latest hotel at Disney World, Boomtown Resort, based upon the ideas of Old West boomtowns that cowboys ran wild in. He thought of Tony Baxter and his Discovery Bay concept, and the sequel to Breakdown Baxter and Crump had been hard at work on. But most often, he drifted back to EuroDisney. The company was scouting out dozens of sites in secret, from London to Paris, Barcelona to Athens, Rome to Frankfurt. Even though they were looking as far north as Sweden, Walt already knew he wanted the park to be on the Mediterranean. The weather would be most similar to what Disneyland and Disney World already had, making it much easier to design for them, and allowing more outdoor rides. It would be warm even in the winter, as well, and snow very, very rarely, if at all.

Smiling, Walt turned and kept strolling along. As he went, he noticed a few tiny details no one but him could have. The third light bulb is out on the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean, the bathrooms in Frontierland have a clogged toilet, the fifth room of the Swiss Family Treehouse is a little dusty... and what else? he tallied in his head. Oh, right, there's a spot in Main Street where you can see Space Port. Got to add another tree or tower to block it.

Walt Disney was a perfectionist to the core. It was something everyone he'd ever worked with had come to terms with, even Don Bluth, who was becoming even moreso than himself now that he was an old man. Sadly, this wasn't the 1960s anymore, and he couldn't see to every detail in his parks personally as he'd done in the years when it was just Disneyland.

Seeing one smiling child clutching a doll of a golden bear in a red shirt, Walt's mind returned to his thoughts. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh hadn't set any records, and, compared to The Snow Queen, was entirely mediocre. He was already predicting that Pete's Dragon, set for a release later that year, would be middle-of-the-road as well.

Hopefully, though, everyone would ignore that and just see Star Wars rise above the rest. Walt had loved every second of it, as the shooting wound down and the editing began, although it seemed only he and Steven Spielberg had had anything nice to say at the moment. And the special effects were taking a very long time to finish, though the Imagineers had been called in to help speed the process along.

The legendary animator took a much-needed seat on a bench at the center of the Hub. His age was catching up to him a bit more quickly than he liked, though his doctor said he was perfectly healthy and expected at least another two decades out of him, maybe even more.

"Mister Disney! Mister Disney!" yelled a voice.

Walt looked over, and saw a little girl in a Belle dress running over and waving. Her parents and slightly older sister were right behind, struggling to keep up.

"Anna, no!" exclaimed the girl's mother. "Don't go yelling at the nice older man--"

The whole family minus their tiny daughter skidded to a stop. "You--you're Walt Disney!" gasped the father.

Walt smiled. "In the flesh."

"Oh... my God! I'm so sorry for us bothering you, Mister Disney, it's just that Anna got away from us, and, and--" stammered out the mother.

"It's not an issue. Do you mind if I ask how you're enjoying the park today?" asked Walt, a grandfatherly twinkle in his eye.

"Uh, it's, uh, it's great! We're from Phoenix, actually, staying here a few days at the hotel."

"I wanted to see the Elsa ride!" said Anna happily.

"Did you like that ride? My friends and I put a lot of work into it!" said Walt to the little girl, who nodded vigorously in response.

"We'll, um, we'll be on our way, Mister Disney. And thank you for your time!" blurted out the mother.

"Call me Walt. And I always love talking with my guests. Think of me as less of a public figure and more of a cool uncle. At least, that's what I'd like to be thought of as," he chuckled.

The parents looked like they were about to pass out from the sheer awesome insanity of them having a sort-of casual conversation with Walt Disney himself. "Thank you, uh, Walt. Have a good day!" returned the father. "Bye!" added their two daughters.

"Goodbye! Have a great rest of your time here," said Walt, sitting back.

And that, he thought, is why I do this. Not for the money, or the glory, or the fame. No, I do all this to see those smiles on the faces of everyone watching one of my movies, or playing one of my video games, or riding one of my rides. The magic we bring to the world... just can't be taken away.

--------------------------------
The Dakota Building, 1 West 72nd Street, NYC

John Lennon had been staring at his phone for an hour now. Paul had convinced him that this just might work, but even that had taken months. Even though Lennon himself was down for it, he didn't know if the others would be.

"Just call him already," ordered his wife, Yoko Ono. "What's the worst he could say? No?"

"Yeah, that's the worry."

"You've been friends for a long time. I'm sure he'll be all for it."

"I've seen what he's been doing recently. He's pretty busy."

"Just call him."

"Fine."

John Lennon hesitated, then grabbed the phone and dialed a number he knew well.

"Hello?" came the voice from the other end.

"Hello, George?" he asked. "It's me, John."

Last edited:
The Dakota Building, 1 West 72nd Street, NYC

John Lennon had been staring at his phone for an hour now. Paul had convinced him that this just might work, but even that had taken months. Even though Lennon himself was down for it, he didn't know if the others would be.

"Just call him already," ordered his wife, Yoko Ono. "What's the worst he could say? No?"

"Yeah, that's the worry."

"You've been friends for a long time. I'm sure he'll be all for it."

"I've seen what he's been doing recently. He's pretty busy."

"Just call him."

"Fine."

John Lennon hesitated, then grabbed the phone and dialed a number he knew well.

"Hello?" came the voice from the other end.

"Hello, George?" he asked. "It's me, John."

If by George, you mean that guy, then I think this might make the film much more interesting to see unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.