Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit something large here. I find Star Wars and Indiana Jones alike incredibly boring. Feel free to rain down all your hate upon me :p

I can see why you would think that about Star Wars. The first and third Indiana Jones movies were great, the second and fourth not so much.

I can see why you would think that about Star Wars. The first and third Indiana Jones movies were great, the second and fourth not so much.
2 isn't that bad though. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who edited my copy so Willie's screams are quieter. Plus the darker tone is actually pretty good IMO.

2 isn't that bad though. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who edited my copy so Willie's screams are quieter. Plus the darker tone is actually pretty good IMO.

Temple of Doom is a great piece of movie history trivia in that its PG rating was one of the main drivers toward the creation of the PG-13 rating.

Temple of Doom and Gremlins were the two big ones. The PG-13 rating came out in the summer of 1984 shortly after Temple of Doom and Gremlins came out and horrified parents that these gruesome movies were PG.
IIRC Red Dawn was the first movie to be released with a PG-13 rating

Temple of Doom and Gremlins were the two big ones. The PG-13 rating came out in the summer of 1984 shortly after Temple of Doom and Gremlins came out and horrified parents that these gruesome movies were PG.
Wait PG-13 was around in 86 when Howard the Duck came out yet it was rated PG!? How the fuck did Duck Tits get PG!?

Us nerds are going to have to ask you to leave, I think.
I like Doctor Who (time travel sci-fi in general really), Steampunk, and Clockpunk. Is that good enough? :p

About Star Wars, I just generally don't like most sci-fi. With Indiana Jones, I could just never get into it, and I prefer animation and stop-motion over live-action in general. I just feel with animation there's so much more you can do without looking hammy. I still consider myself a politics nerd, a history nerd, and probably some other kinds of nerd so you cannot take my nerd card!

I like Doctor Who (time travel sci-fi in general really), Steampunk, and Clockpunk. Is that good enough? :p

About Star Wars, I just generally don't like most sci-fi. With Indiana Jones, I could just never get into it, and I prefer animation and stop-motion over live-action in general. I just feel with animation there's so much more you can do without looking hammy. I still consider myself a politics nerd, a history nerd, and probably some other kinds of nerd so you cannot take my nerd card!

The fact that you are on this forum means your nerd card will never be taken away.

I've always been a big fan of the modern Doctor Who show myself (I can't watch the classics, though, the effects are just too bad), but I've always preferred cyberpunk as my futuristic genre of choice. There's just something so interesting about technological innovation peaking as standard of life plummets, and the stories that come from that strange juxtaposition.

I do have a soft spot for animation too, but these days when everything from Fast and the Furious to The Avengers can be described as CGI cartoons, that line blurs a lot. Plus, live-action movies always have that advantage of having more human characters because the characters are, well, human and not pictures.

But hey, you do you, man. The nerd card can never be revoked even if everyone's interests don't always line up.

Just remember you're objectively wrong in every way about those movies. :openedeyewink:

The Forty-Seventh Academy Awards, 1975
Compared to the Forty-Fifth and Forty-Sixth Academy Awards ceremonies, the Forty-Seventh was much less interesting. Whereas the Forty-Fifth was marked by the ascension of the animated movie, the official announcement of the EPCOT Center coming to Disney World, and Marlon Brando's refusal of the Oscar for Best Actor in protest of the mistreatment of Native Americans in the industry, and the Forty-Sixth by a streaking incident in which a man named Robert Opel ran across the stage in the nude flashing a peace sign with thousands of eyes and cameras trained on him, the Forty-Seventh was just back to same-old, same-old.

The Godfather Part II walked away from the celebration with five Oscars to its name, almost twice as many as its predecessor and utterly dominating the event. However, other great movies of 1974 put up a hell of a fight for it, with Chinatown very nearly beating The Godfather Part II in every category they went up against each other, but never quite pulled it out. Disney's The Island at the Top of the World was nominated for three awards, those being Best Screenplay Adapted from Other Material, Best Costume Design, and Best Art Direction (this one being its only victory), and their Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too short won Best Animated Short Film.

Awards Won at the 47th Academy Awards
Best Picture:
The Godfather Part II
Best Director: Francis Ford Coppola, The Godfather Part II
Best Actor: Art Carney, Harry and Tonto
Best Actress: Ellen Burstyn, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Best Supporting Actor: Robert De Niro, The Godfather Part II
Best Supporting Actress: Ingrid Bergman, Murder on the Orient Express
Best Original Screenplay: Chinatown, Robert Towne
Best Screenplay Adapted from Other Material: The Godfather Part II, Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo
Best Documentary Figure: Hearts and Minds, Peter Davis
Best Documentary Short Subject: Don't, Robert Lehman
Best Live Action Short Film: One Eyed Men Are Kings, Paul Claudon and Edmond Sechan
Best Animated Short Film: Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too, Don Bluth
Best Original Dramatic Score: The Godfather Part II, Nino Rotta and Carmine Coppola
Best Scoring: Original Song Score and Adaptation or Scoring: Adaptation: The Great Gatsby, Nelson Riddle
Best Song: "We May Never Love Like This Again," The Towering Inferno, Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn
Best Sound: Earthquake, Ronald Pierce and Melvin Metcalf Sr.
Best Foreign Language Film: Armacord, Italy
Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby, Theoni V. Aldredge
Best Art Direction: The Island at the Top of the World, Peter Ellenshaw
Best Cinematography: The Towering Inferno, Joseph Biroc and Fred J. Koenekamp
Best Film Editing: The Towering Inferno, Harold F. Kress and Carl Kress

--------------------------------
Walt Disney's Office, Burbank, CA
April 8, 1975

The air in Walt's office was electrifying, chatter shooting back and forth as the television spouted out the Oscar celebration in the background. Everyone briefly paused when they heard the accolades for The Island at the Top of the World and Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too and clapped, before returning to their discussions.

"Everybody" entails Walt, Roy, Rolly Crump, and Tony Baxter. The rest of the studio's staff had gone home for the night many hours before, and only these four were left.

"So, what have you all come up with for video game ideas? I've given you all about six months to come up with something better than Pong. Let the ideas flow," announced Walt.

Crump was up first. "Well, Tony and I had this concept for a game that's basically single-player Pong. Instead of a second paddle on the right side, there's a bunch of smaller, hittable targets--"

"--and hitting those targets increases your score," interjected Baxter. "The goal is to get the highest score possible, and it'll display the top ten on the machine when it's not being played. That way--"

"That way the people at the bar or the restaurant will be coerced into playing by the idea that they could get the high score, and boom! Another quarter dropped in," finished Roy.

Walt had a sort of half-smile on his face. "I like it. That's good. But what about..." He took the art Crump had sketched, depicting the cabinet's screen, and flipped it vertically. "...that."

Crump looked at Baxter. Baxter looked at Crump. "Why didn't we think of that?" asked Baxter incredulously.

"I do really like the name, though. 'Breakdown' just catches the eye and sounds... what do the kids say today? Cool, that's right. Breakdown sounds cool."

"And this cabinet art looks cool as well, you two," praised Roy, holding the other pieces of concept work in his hands. "I mean, for a game about hitting colored squares with other colored squares, it really shouldn't look this good. But it does!"

The cabinet design he was referring to was rather "cool." It was sleek and yellow, almost gold, with a great shiny black lightning bolt streaking across the sides vertically. The paddle hitting the ball was shown also on either side, the paddle being black and the ball white. Emblazoned across the tops of the front and sides was the title, "Breakdown," in big, bolded white text. There was only one control stick on the front, as that was all the game needed, as well as two slots for quaters. No other buttons, just a smooth surface.

"I like it too," said Walt. "'Course, that screen will have to be flipped long-ways up with the game being played vertically now."

Suddenly, the TV seemed to grow louder as everyone picked up on what was being announced by O. J. Simpson, star NFL running back. "And the winner of the award for Best Art Direction goes to... Disney's The Island at the Top of the World, done by Peter Ellenshaw!"

Walt's whole office was filled with whooping and applause, as the four grown men celebrated like children on Christmas morning.

You know at the rate things are going with Disney and given how much they could potentially control depending on who's president after Walt finally dies I could see a potential monopoly suit coming.

You know at the rate things are going with Disney and given how much they could potentially control depending on who's president after Walt finally dies I could see a potential monopoly suit coming.

Perhaps, although considering how they own everything from Spider-Man to The Simpsons to Die Hard to Kermit the Frog IOTL, a monopoly suit ITTL isn't a given.

But we'll just have to see how Disney progresses...

Perhaps, although considering how they own everything from Spider-Man to The Simpsons to Die Hard to Kermit the Frog IOTL, a monopoly suit ITTL isn't a given.

But we'll just have to see how Disney progresses...
I mean despite owning all that Disney still has major competitors OTL. Sony and Dreamworks* being chief among them in the animation department. Here with them owning Star Wars from the start and Walt having discovered video games** well Disney is going to have a lot more cash to do crap with and do crap with it earlier TTL.

*Speaking of which any chance Disney or some competitor does something like Shrek TTL where they basically take the absolute piss outta the fairy tale story movie.

**You have anything planned for the video game crash of 83?

I mean despite owning all that Disney still has major competitors OTL. Sony and Dreamworks* being chief among them in the animation department. Here with them owning Star Wars from the start and Walt having discovered video games** well Disney is going to have a lot more cash to do crap with and do crap with it earlier TTL.

*Speaking of which any chance Disney or some competitor does something like Shrek TTL where they basically take the absolute piss outta the fairy tale story movie.

**You have anything planned for the video game crash of 83?

Don't worry, Disney will still have plenty of big rivals. They'll start to show up in the early- to mid-1980s.

I have a plan for a Shrek-like movie coming in 1986 (but it's definitely not Shrek, it's just in the same fairy tale trope-subversion genre Shrek is), but that's all I'm willing to say for now.

I also do have a plan for the Video Game Crash of 1983. Its blow will be softened somewhat, and wind up different than OTL, but again, I don't want to give away too much, so I'll leave it at that.

With Dinsey getitng into video games, I'm interested to see what happens to Nintendo and Sega in this tl. I'm alao looking froward to how the other studios try to beat Disney in the movie side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.