Latest possible POD for a British Patagonia

Hi folks! This is my first post on this board, so apologies if I've made any mistakes e.g. posting in the wrong forum, question asked previously.

My question is, what is the latest plausible POD that would allow for a British Patagonia?

Of course, the 1806-1807 Invasions of the River Plate would facilitate such a colony, but I was wondering, are there other events later in the 19th century that would have allowed the British Empire to annex Patagonia (and possibly the entire Southern Cone)?

I'm posting this in the Before 1900 forum for safety, as by the 20th century Patagonia had been annexed and colonised by both Chile and Argentina, and so a 20th century POD does not seem salient. However, if a 20th century POD is indeed possible, I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:
I would assume Napoleon's rise and the subsequent alliance with the Legitimist forces in Spain would be the end. I think your best bet would be a 7YW POD. after that Britain was too occupied elsewhere

I would assume Napoleon's rise and the subsequent alliance with the Legitimist forces in Spain would be the end. I think your best bet would be a 7YW POD. after that Britain was too occupied elsewhere

What about if the British annex Tierra del Fuego and certain parts of southern Patagonia, declaring that it's in the interest of protecting the Anglican missions? Or would that have antagonised Argentina and Chile, and thus be implausible as a POD? Because IIRC, Ushuaia was founded by British settlers, not Argentine ones, or have I got that completely wrong?

Last edited:
What about if the British annex Tierra del Fuego and certain parts of southern Patagonia, declaring that it's in the interest of protecting the Anglican missions? Or would that have antagonised Argentina and Chile, and thus be implausible as a POD? Because IIRC, Ushuaia was founded by British settlers, not Argentine ones, or have I got that completely wrong?
I'm gonna be real I didn't know that happened. I'm also always kinda surprised to learn about Anglican missionaries because anglicanism (with the king of Britain/England as its HoC) doesn't make sense outside of the context of the commonwealth in my head

So I'm gonna have to ask when that was before I comment

There were some missionaries prior to it, but the first to permanently live there was in 1869, and the first settlement was built in 1870. First Argentinians to show up were 3 years later in 1873.

First house was pre-assembled in the Falklands of all places

Maybe if Argentina collapses during its Civil Wars period into different states and none are strong enough or with enough population pressure to expand into Patagonia the British can fill the vacuum.

In researching another TL I came across an attempt by a British Ambassador (or something) to Chile who recommended to the British government they annex Chiloé, the island (then) southwest of mainland Chile, which was held by Spain. That was in the 1820s. He went on about fine timbers and harbours....and the Brits did end up making Valparaiso the centre of the Pacific Station in the 1830s, so maybe during the Chilean invasion of Chiloé in 1826 the Brits decide to intervene to get their Naval Base; from here they control Los Lagos region and the Chilean side of Patagonia...