Largest possible nuke?

Just had an idea.

Could a sufficiently Thermally shielded Teraton device be used on Venus to cause a Nuclear Winter to cool the Planet as a step towards Terraforming?

Maybe a Soviet prestige project during the 90's or 00's adressing the US beating them to the moon?

If the USSR had not dissolved anyway.

Hopefully, TOMORROW is more than a day away.

In the mid 1950s, Philip Wylie wrote the novel TOMORROW which discussed an atomic war with Russia. He suggested that because of the USSR's vast size and the relatively small sizes of our nuclear fission arsenal, that a submarine be re-fitted to BE an enormous fusion bomb. This would be detonated In Leningrad harbor. His suggestion that the flash would be visible on Mars added a frisson of terror that such a weapon could be conceived, much less deployed.

Just had an idea.

Could a sufficiently Thermally shielded Teraton device be used on Venus to cause a Nuclear Winter to cool the Planet as a step towards Terraforming?

I'm not a climate scientist, but as I understand it, nuclear winter is supposed to occur because ash and other burnt particles from fires is lofted into the upper atmosphere and blocks sunlight. There's nothing to burn on Venus, so I don't think it would work, and even if it did work I don't think it would block enough sunlight to cool the planet significantly.

I'm not a climate scientist either. :)

The mention of an area the size of Africa being destroyed though made me think a hell of a lot of Rock, Debris, Particulate Matter etc would be transferred to the upper atmosphere.

Would a Teraton Blast pose a possibility of Shifting a Venus Sized Planet to a different Orbital Path?

I'm not a climate scientist either. :)

The mention of an area the size of Africa being destroyed though made me think a hell of a lot of Rock, Debris, Particulate Matter etc would be transferred to the upper atmosphere.

I don't think you'd get enough particles staying in the upper atmosphere to make a difference, but I don't know for sure.

Would a Teraton Blast pose a possibility of Shifting a Venus Sized Planet to a different Orbital Path?

Nah. The mass of venus is about 4.9E24 kg. One teraton of TNT is equal to 4.2E21 joules. E = 1/2 mv^2. So, if the energy is perfectly converted into velocity - which it won't be, not even close - you'll get a net velocity change of SQRT(2 * E / m) = 0.04 m/s.

IIRC, Teller's idea was for kind of "national doomsday devices". That is giant nuclear weapons put aboard big cargo ships and anchored in international waters as close to the U.S.S.R. and China as possible.

I thought it was the Soviets who came up with the freighter bomb.

In a memoir by a weapons physicist, I read that several hundred megatons is actually the largest possible size, because if you try to chain too many fusion stages together the light from the first stage blows the later stages apart before they can actually ignite. However, I know that Teller, among others, did investigate multi-gigaton-range weapons, so I'm not sure what to make of that. If there really is an upper limit on yield, it's probably classified.

This is fairly correct, as the explosive yield is increased, the shorter the overall time for the reaction to blow apart the reactants. This doesn't have 'a tipping point' just like it doesn't in star cores/fusing layers, but it exponentially decreases the reaction rate for additional energy. Effectively you are reaching the notion of hydrostatic equilibrium in the weapon core for the moment(s) of detonation.

In principle increasing the surrounding pressure on the fireball would allow you to fuse material for longer and build a larger explosion, hence an underground detonation may get you further for the same size of device, but not much since the ground itself will be vaporised too.

Yet if you got the reaction yield up high enough you may be able to unlock higher fusion reaction chains, which, while less energy is realised in each fusion, the total power output of the device is an additive sum of reactions, as each would occur in their own layers.

Much like a hydrogen bomb is hydrogen at the centre of a normal fission bomb such hypothetical 'Nova Bombs' are Fission Bombs around Hydrogen, around attenuation materials, around a reactant core. Such devices* may be able to briefly access a quark-gluon plasma at their cores** which could possibly give rise to the conditions in the outer layers of a supernova. Suffice to say, a very big explosion.

Possible to design and build? We could likely do this. Would we want to? We don't need such a large device, the planet could be 'destroyed' with far less. Yet if we might talk hypothetical, such a device could be an ultimate beacon of 'human civilisation' that could briefly shine across the larger part of our galaxy and even carry a densely encoded message to every star and planet. While it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye like an actual supernova, the point is that a technologically advanced species worthy of understanding the significance of the message will have the telescopes able to see the message, and unlike SETI searching in the radio background for whispers, this would be like using a megaphone and spotlight to say 'we are here'...

...Or rather 'not here' anymore...

*weapon is a fairly useless concept here
**Via channelling energy to a core via attenuation materials.

Archibald

Banned
This thread is a little scary to read. As for maximum aircraft gravity bombs, well, the An-225 can carry 250 tons, although dropping the bomb would be a little hard since the rear cargo door was deleted. That left the C-5M Galaxy or an-124, with 120 to 150 metric tons H-bombs. The Tsar bomba was 25 metric tons, so there's ample margin.

As for rockets - hopefully this should be enough to lift a big enough teraton into orbit (just pray and hope the rocket doesn't fail at launch, or it would be the end of... Florida !)
Payload: 24000 short tons.
Combined with this
6 megatons per metric ton
Should make for a good fireworks !

Note: Teller was truly a first-grade SOB.

Last edited:
on The Tsar bomba, it was prototype of a 100 MT warhead, launch by super ICBM UR-500
after the Program got cancelled the UR-500 was used as Proton Launch rocket.

RAND corp made 1959 one study for doomsday weapon for a Warhead of 8.25 GIGATONs (under assumption of 5MT per/ton)
as launch system were consider a ground launch Orion nuclear plus engine (series of nuclear bomb catapult payload in orbit).
It brings the warhead hundreds miles over USSR were it detonate
don't ask me what they smoke in RAND corp...

source on Rand Doomsday madness
Aerospace Project Review eV2N2
Freeman Dyson interview in BBC TV dokumentation To Mars by A-Bomb - the secrets History of Project Orion