That’s how it was in OTL with 26,000 people.

1280px-Nederlandse_Kaapkolonie.svg.png
Those 26000 now had over 3,5 million descendants. Numbers can change quickly. It is almost unimaginable that populations can grow so quickly.
(I am assuming that you are refering to the Afrikaans speaking populations originating in the Dutch Cape colony)

If the Huguenots have anything approaching the population growth rates of the OTL Dutch settlers, the European descended population of South Africa should easily exceed a million before the end of the eighteenth century (and could very feasibly be twice, thrice, or even four times as high depending on the exact rate of growth how much immigration there is).
Why did the Dutch settlers have so high population growth rates?

Can be that the absence of slaves and social classes less separated are going to allow in this colony to developp sooner numerous agrarian technologies ?

2.0-2.5% growth per annum would be a quite reasonable estimate until the Huguenots expanded into tropical areas. Taking the lower estimate of 20,000 French in South Africa in 1570, that yields something around 1 to 1.2 million Frenchmen by 1770. That's without positive net immigration.
With a starting population (in 1570) of 20,000, and growth of 2.0% per annum, the 1770 population would be 1 million, and the 1850 population would be 5 million.

But... with a starting population in 1570 of 100,000 (quite feasible if there's enough migration from persecution in France), and growth of 2.5% per annum, the 1770 population would be 14 million (!), and the 1850 population would be 100 million (!!!!!)

This demonstrates the effect that even a small change in starting population or population growth rate can have.

Gian

Banned
With a starting population (in 1570) of 20,000, and growth of 2.0% per annum, the 1770 population would be 1 million, and the 1850 population would be 5 million.

But... with a starting population in 1570 of 100,000 (quite feasible if there's enough migration from persecution in France), and growth of 2.5% per annum, the 1770 population would be 14 million (!), and the 1850 population would be 100 million (!!!!!)

This demonstrates the effect that even a small change in starting population or population growth rate can have.

Would it be possible for the Huguenots to overwhelm the British come the 19th century though (that's the question)

It's clear that if the future king of France accept to give a little independance to the colony, this one will be very important for get fresh supplies for the sea spice road. With that type of commerce available for France and that potential of huge benefit, there will be most change on the european geopolitic.

It's clear that if the future king of France accept to give a little independance to the colony, this one will be very important for get fresh supplies for the sea spice road. With that type of commerce available for France and that potential of huge benefit, there will be most change on the european geopolitic.
I have a good feeling that this colony will end up seeking independence when the main Bourbon line inevitably becomes wholeheartedly catholic.

I have a good feeling that this colony will end up seeking independence when the main Bourbon line inevitably becomes wholeheartedly catholic.

So y’all are both right in certain aspects and wrong in certain aspects of what is going to develop. I have a few twists up my sleeve.

The idea of a totally European colonial South Africa doesn't seem realistic.

The number of Khoi even with mass die-off doesn't exclude the very real intermarriage of Khoi women and the creation of a large Oorlam population developing and actively spread the reach of the colony further inland.

Is this timeline dead?

I certainly hope not.

It’s not. I’ve just been super busy.

The idea of a totally European colonial South Africa doesn't seem realistic.

The number of Khoi even with mass die-off doesn't exclude the very real intermarriage of Khoi women and the creation of a large Oorlam population developing and actively spread the reach of the colony further inland.

Different early settler patterns. There have been plenty of French Huguenot women migrating because it’s been family units and congregations settling in the Cape, similar to what happened with the Calvinists in New England.

Nice, watched

Thanks.

So whose lands would the KhoiSan have migrated too after being driven from their lands?

Currently there’s still plenty of KhoiSan controller land, so they have migrated into other areas controlled by KhoiSan, causing infighting among the various KhoiSan groups.