Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

The writer of your timeline within a timeline seems to be far more optimistic about the possibilities of top end agriculture than you, @Jared. I do suppose that native plants can take to the poor soils better, but is there really enough farmable land in Arnhem land to justify hypothetically settled agriculture?
This was a deliberately more optimistic slant than mine, but there is some arable land in Arnhem Land. Enough for viable agriculture, though the population likely won't be that high when compared to the south. Not to mention fun with cyclones, crocodiles and malaria.

EDIT: I thought I'd add here that this timeline has really sparked an interest in Aboriginal culture in me. I probably would never have watched the movie 10 Canoes or read that biography I, the Aborigine without having first read this timeline.
I'll have to get to I, The Aborigine myself at some stage.

This was a deliberately more optimistic slant than mine, but there is some arable land in Arnhem Land. Enough for viable agriculture, though the population likely won't be that high when compared to the south. Not to mention fun with cyclones, crocodiles and malaria.

It is hard to farm in the north. I was recently reading about how there were banana farms on Elchol Island near Arnhem land, but they were destroyed by cyclones in 2015.

I'll have to get to I, The Aborigine myself at some stage.

It's a very fascinating book. I feel that you need to read with a bit of a critical eye. Mr. Roberts or his biographer Mr. Lockwood or both do seem to have tailored the book for a white audience, but it's a very interesting look at the attitudes, lifestyle, and stories of an Aborigine adopting to a westernized lifestyle. And for my purposes, it gives some very interesting accounts of what seems to be a nascent horse culture among the peoples of Arnhem land.

Cyclones are definitely a problem and would keep the maximum population down (since there's a high risk of a bad harvest), but is it really that much worse than the prospects various other cultures in areas prone to tropical cyclones (i.e. the Caribbean/Gulf Coast American Indians) had? Plus it does have the advantage of being close to New Guinea which IIRC is a center of diversity for bananas and other New Guinean/Indonesian crops so it might be easier to breed cultivars better acclimated for the land. And not to mention, importing water buffalo, horses, and other livestock would be nice.

Cyclones are definitely a problem and would keep the maximum population down (since there's a high risk of a bad harvest), but is it really that much worse than the prospects various other cultures in areas prone to tropical cyclones (i.e. the Caribbean/Gulf Coast American Indians) had?
In themselves, cyclones aren't any worse in northern Australia than other tropical places. It's just that when you're living in a region where your agriculture is already marginal, the prospect of superstorms regularly knocking down your buildings and destroying both your crops and stored food makes this whole "agriculture" thing look less appealing. Not enough to stop agriculture entirely, but enough to weaken the system even further.

Plus it does have the advantage of being close to New Guinea which IIRC is a center of diversity for bananas and other New Guinean/Indonesian crops so it might be easier to breed cultivars better acclimated for the land. And not to mention, importing water buffalo, horses, and other livestock would be nice.
The soil problem applies in spades when trying to breed bananas and some other New Guinean crops, such as sugar cane. Northern Australia is probably better-suited to ranching of livestock than it is to agriculture, as indeed pretty much applies in OTL.

In themselves, cyclones aren't any worse in northern Australia than other tropical places. It's just that when you're living in a region where your agriculture is already marginal, the prospect of superstorms regularly knocking down your buildings and destroying both your crops and stored food makes this whole "agriculture" thing look less appealing. Not enough to stop agriculture entirely, but enough to weaken the system even further.

The soil problem applies in spades when trying to breed bananas and some other New Guinean crops, such as sugar cane. Northern Australia is probably better-suited to ranching of livestock than it is to agriculture, as indeed pretty much applies in OTL.
So, big on Noroon (or however the in-verse name for them is spelled) ranching up there?

I was reading a review for a book which argued that the development of early civilization requires grain crops, which can be stockpiled and have a set harvest date, and not tuber crops which can't be stockpiled the same and don't have set harvest times. Interestingly, Aururia seems to have developed an early civilization based not on grain but a tuber crop.

I'm wondering how does the early civilization of Aururia compare to the early civilization that developed in Mesopotamia. Also, there seems to be societies stuck in early civilization level societies in Aururia till the present time of the TL like Kiyungu and Panjimundra, or is it fair to compare them to that development level?

When I have more free time I'd look into that book myself because it seems interesting for going into how a tuber based civilization would work and also how it would contrast from the grain-based ones. If tubers don't require a set harvest time and don't lend themselves to easy stockpiling like grain, maybe there are other forces making urban societies out of yam farmers?

I was reading a review for a book which argued that the development of early civilization requires grain crops, which can be stockpiled and have a set harvest date, and not tuber crops which can't be stockpiled the same and don't have set harvest times. Interestingly, Aururia seems to have developed an early civilization based not on grain but a tuber crop.

I'm wondering how does the early civilization of Aururia compare to the early civilization that developed in Mesopotamia. Also, there seems to be societies stuck in early civilization level societies in Aururia till the present time of the TL like Kiyungu and Panjimundra, or is it fair to compare them to that development level?

When I have more free time I'd look into that book myself because it seems interesting for going into how a tuber based civilization would work and also how it would contrast from the grain-based ones. If tubers don't require a set harvest time and don't lend themselves to easy stockpiling like grain, maybe there are other forces making urban societies out of yam farmers?

Interesting, but I'm not sure that's accurate. It strikes me that while grain is amenable to easy stockpiling, it also requires a lot of processing to be edible and that comes at the back end. Tubers for long term storage may require processing at the front end.

In the Andes, the potato was domesticated thousands of years prior to quinoa (or maize being introduced). But I suppose it's subject to interpretation when the Andean agricultural groups actually became states.

In the Andes, the potato was domesticated thousands of years prior to quinoa (or maize being introduced). But I suppose it's subject to interpretation when the Andean agricultural groups actually became states.

Cassava was a tuber crop of the Amazon and Caribbean Islands. The Polynesian agricultural package didn't include grain.

True, but those areas are generally considered to have had pre-state "chiefdoms," not full-on civilization.

I'll accept that, but doesn't that take us into the realm of how we define a civilisation? What's the essential element of a civilisation? Literacy? A certain level of urban concentration? Divisions of labour? Hierarchy? Domestication?

I'm not sure that any particular factor prohibits a tuber based society from accumulating the elements to be considered a civilisation.

It strikes me that the author has identified a civilisation pathway, and then decided it's the only possible pathway. I'm not sure that's logically consistent or historically accurate.

Also, TTL has wattles which fulfill many of the functions of grains.

Personally, I suspect that source is simply wrong. The Inca stored dried potatoes quite nicely.

Note, too, that quinoa and amaranth are not grains, either, and they fill the grain niche nicely.

So what do the various cultures of Australia make of fossils?
Depends very broadly on the culture, but most of them simply see them as representative of some of the beings of the Dreamtime (or the related beliefs of Gunnagalic mythology).

So, big on Noroon (or however the in-verse name for them is spelled) ranching up there?
Yes, if I - rather than my ATL counterpart - was writing about early Aururian agriculture moving to the northern half of the continent, there would be much more emphasis on livestock than on food. Ranching is harder with noroons/emus because they don't herd that well, but it can be done, such as by a series of fenced in fields and rotating the noroons through them.

Only going off the review but not the book itself, of course, but many of the review's comments seem arrant nonsense. It says that pulses have no fixed harvest period but cereals do. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Farmed pulses are (mostly) annual crops which operate along similar lines to cereal crops. There is some flexibility about when in the year that pulse crops are grown, but that's equally true of cereal crops. The arguments about storage are equally true for pulses as for cereals too, for instance.

Looking at it more broadly, if cereal crops necessitate state formation, why did it take about 8000 years from cultivation of cereal crops to the first states forming? Not to mention that the Middle East didn't have any early tuber crops to start with, so it's hard to say whether things would have played out differently if they had had some tuber crops. In comparison, Norte Chico - where tuber crops were important, though maize was too - started serious city-building only a thousand years or so after Mesopotamia. Doesn't sound like a deal-breaker to me.

So on first view I don't give this theory much credence, though I may make more detailed review of the book in question at some point. Even if the theory is correct, it's worth pointing out that tuber crops can have fixed harvest times, and whether they do is more a function of the climate than the tuber itself. Potatoes don't have fixed harvest times in tropical highlands, but they do in temperate regions.

The early civilisations of Aururia are comparable in many respects to that which developed in Mesopotamia, although they are notable for having a higher urban population, and thus significantly higher trade and personal wealth in per capita terms.

The Kiyungu and Panjimundra (and also Patjimunra and Daluming, to a degree) are stuck where they are because of the effects of logistics, rather than tuber crops. In a society without large domesticated animals, it is much harder to project military power. This makes state-building more difficult because conquest is more difficult and rebellions are more likely to be successful.

The Five Rivers overcame that because of logistics there being mostly by navigable rivers, and thus they were able to build up a large coreland of a state that could then more easily project power elsewhere. The other large states (Atjuntja, Yadji) also had for different reasons a unified coreland, and then relied on road-building technology to project power more readily.

As @Dathi THorfinnsson has pointed out, wattles are an integral part of the founding crop package in Aururia, and their cultivation, harvest and storage has the same kinds of timeframes which are claimed to be important for cereal crops. Aururian tuber crops also do mostly have a set planting time (late winter and early spring) and to a degree harvest time (late autumn, basically, though they can be kept in the ground for longer if necessary), and thus require some social organisation as well.

Sorry for belated progress on the mapwork for all the Tjarrlinghi Crusades chapters, the first months of this year were spent mostly in job searching (but I do have stuff I'll PM you later, Jared).

Only going off the review but not the book itself, of course, but many of the review's comments seem arrant nonsense. It says that pulses have no fixed harvest period but cereals do. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Farmed pulses are (mostly) annual crops which operate along similar lines to cereal crops. There is some flexibility about when in the year that pulse crops are grown, but that's equally true of cereal crops. The arguments about storage are equally true for pulses as for cereals too, for instance.

Looking at it more broadly, if cereal crops necessitate state formation, why did it take about 8000 years from cultivation of cereal crops to the first states forming? Not to mention that the Middle East didn't have any early tuber crops to start with, so it's hard to say whether things would have played out differently if they had had some tuber crops. In comparison, Norte Chico - where tuber crops were important, though maize was too - started serious city-building only a thousand years or so after Mesopotamia. Doesn't sound like a deal-breaker to me.

So on first view I don't give this theory much credence, though I may make more detailed review of the book in question at some point. Even if the theory is correct, it's worth pointing out that tuber crops can have fixed harvest times, and whether they do is more a function of the climate than the tuber itself. Potatoes don't have fixed harvest times in tropical highlands, but they do in temperate regions.

Also, in addition to all the other quotes on the matter, I think that basically was due to the author in this book's case specializing in the Old World emergence of agriculture, which of course doesn't disprove that tuber crop based civilizations are impossible. I'll still check this book out later in case there are more interesting arguments not reflected in the review.

The early civilisations of Aururia are comparable in many respects to that which developed in Mesopotamia, although they are notable for having a higher urban population, and thus significantly higher trade and personal wealth in per capita terms.

So more populous population centres that are more tightly packed together? Given that lacking waterways, a city would have to be essentially adjacent to farmland for easy food transport, I imagine this would affect the overall layout of civilization with less small villages and town laid about, it'd be advantageous to instead have all the labour required for not only the production of food but also the transport in one city.

And if I'm not wrong, Aururian crops could produce more per unit of land than European crops, which would allow the lands just outside the city to be productive enough to feed it without too much expansion of farmland needed.

I guess then the introduction of Old World draught animals would represent an exponential change in the expansion of civilization, where lands farther away from can be made agriculturally productive, and also allow for more smaller settlements to pop up in between as well. As well as reducing the labour involved in porter work, so those workers could now specialize in some other job.

The Kiyungu and Panjimundra (and also Patjimunra and Daluming, to a degree) are stuck where they are because of the effects of logistics, rather than tuber crops. In a society without large domesticated animals, it is much harder to project military power. This makes state-building more difficult because conquest is more difficult and rebellions are more likely to be successful.

The Five Rivers overcame that because of logistics there being mostly by navigable rivers, and thus they were able to build up a large coreland of a state that could then more easily project power elsewhere. The other large states (Atjuntja, Yadji) also had for different reasons a unified coreland, and then relied on road-building technology to project power more readily.

I suppose then that the Kiyungu and Panjimundra can basically represent the early form of Aururian civilization, if the earliest civilizations in Aururia are cities that make agricultural use of all surrounding lands to a point but have no other settlements under their political control, thus the highest form of political organization they developed is the city-state, whereas in the Old World you would find more scattered small settlements in early civilizations than cities, and more territory could be politically united. Not so much because of military power projection, but of simple travel difficulties; people can only carry stuff so far by themselves.

And trade and travel would be slow and difficult enough between these city-states that any sort of political-cultural union between them would be untenable, and technology and ideas go slower to these places.

Where the geography was amenable to easier transport and communication, e.g. as you mention the Five Rivers with their eponymous five rivers, larger states could form composed of multiple cities under one political organization and culture because of easier trade and travel.

What were the specific reasons for the Atjuntja and Yadji coalescing, by the way?

...wattles are an integral part of the founding crop package in Aururia, and their cultivation, harvest and storage has the same kinds of timeframes which are claimed to be important for cereal crops. Aururian tuber crops also do mostly have a set planting time (late winter and early spring) and to a degree harvest time (late autumn, basically, though they can be kept in the ground for longer if necessary), and thus require some social organisation as well.

The thing about wattles that might be relevant to this is, while they may allow for the annual harvest times that arguably contributed to the development of states which could coordinate the activity (not sure whether wattles can only be harvested only once a year) of planting and harvest year after year, wattles would require just a single planting, and being perennial, would give year after year. Red yams would have to be harvested and replanted, so I imagine they would require more labour year around than collecting wattleseed would.

Doesn't discount a wattle-based civilization, but it would be getting rid of the planting-harvest-replanting structure of early agrarian civilizations.

Also, I was thinking about what cash crops the Nuttana can grow aside from sugar, and possibly cotton, coffee, opium poppy, and kratom, and cannabis seems an obvious choice. Not only rivals alcohol as the most used recreational drugs, but is widespread in production and usage all across Asia and Africa by this point.

The Nuttana's tropical sugar growing lands are perfectly suited for the cultivation of cannabis as well, or at least the sativa variety that you'd see growing around tropical regions of the world.

The Nuttana would also be the first ones to be introducing the drug to Aururia as a whole as a commodity, thus stand to profit greatly, at least until other Aururians also start growing it. Even by that point the Nuttana could still compete by breeding better and better strains / cultivars of cannabis selected for psychoactive potency, flavour, aroma etc.

Also, there seems to be some evidence that cannabis plants respond to terroir the same way wine grapes do, since there are varieties of cannabis that grow only in unique microclimates, and simply don't reach peak quality of grown anywhere else, so Nuttana cannabis may as well be as unique a commodity as burgundy wine.

I also have an interesting theory on why cannabis was popular as a recreational drug in the hotter regions of the earth (aside from the fact that it grew more readily in, say, India rather than Ireland), and it's based on the fact that cannabis actually has a physiological cooling effect, dropping body temperature a few degrees. So I posit it could be used as a way to feel comfortable even in equatorial temperatures. If one thing Aururia does not lack for, it's heat, so if my theory holds any water Aururians would likely prefer cannabis to alcohol for that reason, plus the lack of drunkenness and hangovers making day-use possible without making one uselessly drunk. So like kratom it could be encouraged instead of alcohol to be used by labourers to have them be able to work even if not sober.

So more populous population centres that are more tightly packed together? Given that lacking waterways, a city would have to be essentially adjacent to farmland for easy food transport, I imagine this would affect the overall layout of civilization with less small villages and town laid about, it'd be advantageous to instead have all the labour required for not only the production of food but also the transport in one city.
The value and use of land is linked to how close it is to riverine transportation. The land closest to the river is used for aquaculture, where possible, or the sort of premium cash crops which require irrigation. Land slightly further from the river is used for root crops (highe bulk than wattles), and land further than that used for seed and fibre crops (wattles, flax, purslane etc).

Land further away than that is still managed intensively, in line with the Aururian land management practices, but not farmed in the traditional sense. Timber for coppicing, berries for gathering, managed for possum fur trapping (basically by placing nest boxes), production of aromatics, rangelands for hunting kangaroos, etc. But while people visit these rangelands regularly, their main homes are nearer the river. There's still satellite towns and villages, but these are rarely more than a day's travel from the nearesst waterway, except where there are special resouces (eg mines).

And if I'm not wrong, Aururian crops could produce more per unit of land than European crops, which would allow the lands just outside the city to be productive enough to feed it without too much expansion of farmland needed.
Generally yes, though whether Aururian crops are more productive per land varies considerably depending on which crop and period it's being compared to. Tuber crops during this era tend to yield higher than cereal crops anyway (though they don't store as well). Cereal crops also required that a portion of the harvest be kept as seed grain for next year (up to half of the total yield, for early farming), so wattles are more productive simply because the seed grain doesn't need to be kept.

Even where Aururian crops are not more productive per unit of land, they are much more poductive per worker. This tends to lead to individual farms being larger and cultivating a greater variety of crops, timed to harvest and maintain at times when the staple crops are not beng harvested or maintained. Depending on the location and era, this may be fibre crops, cash crops such as kunduri or aromatics, dyes, animal husbandry (emus, ducks, dogs) etc.

So this tends to lead to a given area of land requiring fewer workers, and thus a greater proportion of the poulation live in the towns and cities and follow non-agricultural occupations.

I guess then the introduction of Old World draught animals would represent an exponential change in the expansion of civilization, where lands farther away from can be made agriculturally productive, and also allow for more smaller settlements to pop up in between as well. As well as reducing the labour involved in porter work, so those workers could now specialize in some other job.
The introduction of European daft animals certainly makes for more efficient transportation, although it's one element in an already-booming agriclutral revolution. The kicker was actually the spread of ironworking, a few centuries earlier, which meant that they had access to many more metal tools. This made farming much more efficient, with better digging tools, better land clearing, more irrigation of prime crops, more haresting of timber, and also more land on which to produce food for dogs. Dog-travois made for better transprtation and better access to lands further from the river.

This procexs was of course accelerated with the arrival of European draft animals, and also European metallurgy. Aururian agricultural productivity has increased significantly sine European contact, even setting aside the effect of the plagues. (The plagues raised agricultural productivity because more marginal agricultural lands were abandoned).

I suppose then that the Kiyungu and Panjimundra can basically represent the early form of Aururian civilization, if the earliest civilizations in Aururia are cities that make agricultural use of all surrounding lands to a point but have no other settlements under their political control, thus the highest form of political organization they developed is the city-state, whereas in the Old World you would find more scattered small settlements in early civilizations than cities, and more territory could be politically united. Not so much because of military power projection, but of simple travel difficulties; people can only carry stuff so far by themselves.

And trade and travel would be slow and difficult enough between these city-states that any sort of political-cultural union between them would be untenable, and technology and ideas go slower to these places.
Broadly yes, although it's worth emphasising that people can] transport goods long distances. So can dogs. It's just that it's more expensive than with draft animals, and so this affects both trade and military power. Long-distance trade still exists in high-value goods - spices, dyes, aromatics, coral, tin ore, etc - but often through a chain of intermediaries rather than directly.

Water supplies also had a restrictive effect on the Panjimundra (not really the Kiyungu) as reliable water wasn't as easily available, so they tended to have larger farmlands which produced less per acre (though still high per worker) and larger rangelands used particularly for hunting kangaroos, more than using domesticated animals.

What were the specific reasons for the Atjuntja and Yadji coalescing, by the way?
For the Yadji, a combination of a series of extremely gifted rulers who were capable of winning battles, and the adoption of a military system which emphasised larger numbers of warriors rather than a small elite corps. (Death warriors, but not just them - the Yadji engaged more regular soliders too). That let them build up the necessary coreland.

For the Atjuntja, they were the first adopters of ironworking. This allowed them to both have more iron-armed soldiers, and also improve their agricultural productivity more than their neighbours, and produce a significantly larger population. This, again, allowed them to conquer a large enough coreland that they could form an empire.

The thing about wattles that might be relevant to this is, while they may allow for the annual harvest times that arguably contributed to the development of states which could coordinate the activity (not sure whether wattles can only be harvested only once a year) of planting and harvest year after year, wattles would require just a single planting, and being perennial, would give year after year. Red yams would have to be harvested and replanted, so I imagine they would require more labour year around than collecting wattleseed would.

Doesn't discount a wattle-based civilization, but it would be getting rid of the planting-harvest-replanting structure of early agrarian civilizations.
Yams are only really harvested/replanted once a year, the same as wattles. In late autumn/early winter, the red yams (and murnong) are dug up, harvested and replanted at the same time. (For red yams, cut off the top of the tuber and replant that while keeping the rest. For murnong, replant one of the four (or eight) tubers and harvest the rest.) There is a secondary time required in spring to check whether the tubers have sprouted again and replant a new seed or tuber if necessary, but this requires only a small part of the labour as generally speaking a tuber will last for ten or more seasons before the plant fails to resprout.

For wattles, they do indeed only produce seeds once a year. There is also a smaller post-harvest period of work required, pruning the wattles, replanting a portion of them (again the wattles last for about 10-15 years before they die).

However, the important point is that Aururian farmers do not harvest just one crop. The same farmers will be planting/harvesting red yams/munong at one time of year, and wattles at a different time of year (Generally one species of wattle pre-Interregnum, two species of wattles affter that, chosen so that they produce seeds at different seasons). So there is an overall package of labour required at set times throughout most of the year. There is about three months off when labour can be drafted for other purposes, which in early Aururian farming was mostly drafting labour for maintaining aquaculture. Later this was also in public works and in mobilising farmers as militia during the campaign season.

Also, I was thinking about what cash crops the Nuttana can grow aside from sugar, and possibly cotton, coffee, opium poppy, and kratom, and cannabis seems an obvious choice. Not only rivals alcohol as the most used recreational drugs, but is widespread in production and usage all across Asia and Africa by this point.
Cotton tends to work better further south than the Nuttana lands - they have too much rain at the wrong time of year to grow cotton reliably. Or maybe this depends on the species - the big cotton-growing lands in Australia are inland and further south. But this is short-staple cotton, I believe - long-staple cotton might be different. Even if the Nuttana could grow cotton, though, India is producing a huge amount of cotton during this period, and has cheap labour for spinning and weaving.

Coffee is grown a bit in OTL in the equivalent of Nuttana lands, but is finicky and requires a lot of fertiliser. I suspect that the Nuttana would experiment but mostly give up on the idea, since any land which could possibly grow coffee could definitely grow sugar, and sugar is proven profitable.

Kratom, as discussed previously, is probably a winner for the Nuttana.

The opium poppy might grow in Nuttana lands - not sure offhand - but there will be big production in the Five Rivers as well during this period, since they've figured out a cheap method of producing almost-morphine (it actually doesn't get rid of most of the codeine)

Cannabis I'm doubtful will be useful, because it is a plant which can be easily grown almost anywhere. Hemp is very easily cultivatable, and indeed was widespread in cultivation in OTL all over the place as both fibre and drug. If there's an Aururian market for it, the European trading companies would be both able and willing to supply it. Especially since they're always looking for goods to market to the Five Rivers and Durigal to maintain the trade balance (for silver and dyes particularly in the Five Rivers, and gold and jeeree in Durigal).

I also have an interesting theory on why cannabis was popular as a recreational drug in the hotter regions of the earth (aside from the fact that it grew more readily in, say, India rather than Ireland), and it's based on the fact that cannabis actually has a physiological cooling effect, dropping body temperature a few degrees. So I posit it could be used as a way to feel comfortable even in equatorial temperatures. If one thing Aururia does not lack for, it's heat, so if my theory holds any water Aururians would likely prefer cannabis to alcohol for that reason, plus the lack of drunkenness and hangovers making day-use possible without making one uselessly drunk. So like kratom it could be encouraged instead of alcohol to be used by labourers to have them be able to work even if not sober.
Interesting theory. There may well be a market for cannabis in Aururia, but I doub that the Nuttana could maintain an exclusive one for very long. Even if they maintain a premium product, that is only going to be a small part of the market, with most grown locally.

For the Atjuntja, they were the first adopters of ironworking. This allowed them to both have more iron-armed soldiers, and also improve their agricultural productivity more than their neighbours, and produce a significantly larger population. This, again, allowed them to conquer a large enough coreland that they could form an empire.

That's a lot like the Bantu expansion which was partly caused by the spread of ironworking technology, but it didn't necessarily lead to the development of large unified states, just the expansion of loosely united tribal units with some cultural ties. In the same situation, what kept the Atjuntja united under one state, except for the fact that they have less land than the continent of Africa to occupy?

For wattles, they do indeed only produce seeds once a year. There is also a smaller post-harvest period of work required, pruning the wattles, replanting a portion of them (again the wattles last for about 10-15 years before they die).

Do Aururians layout their farms in regards to wattles and yams with any regard to agroforestry, like planting the wattles in a wind barrier around plots of yam? And using the pruned material from the wattle trees as biomass for other crops?

Their crop package seems a perfect fit for agroforestry and they can easily introduce other trees like fruit or timber trees on the same farms.

Cotton tends to work better further south than the Nuttana lands - they have too much rain at the wrong time of year to grow cotton reliably. Or maybe this depends on the species - the big cotton-growing lands in Australia are inland and further south. But this is short-staple cotton, I believe - long-staple cotton might be different. Even if the Nuttana could grow cotton, though, India is producing a huge amount of cotton during this period, and has cheap labour for spinning and weaving.

I researched it before and what is now Tjarrlinghi land is the most productive land for cotton production in Aururia, but the best land for textile production is in fact where it is most humid, which would be the Nuttana land. That's why cotton textile production during the British Industrial Revolution was centred along the more humid areas, and factory environments were kept extra humid and stuffy (and miserable).

So an interesting production pipeline that can be considered is if Tjarrlinghi grow cotton and export it to the Nuttana, who produce textiles and onsell it everywhere else. Outproducing Indian textile producers due to industrial innovation.

Coffee is grown a bit in OTL in the equivalent of Nuttana lands, but is finicky and requires a lot of fertiliser. I suspect that the Nuttana would experiment but mostly give up on the idea, since any land which could possibly grow coffee could definitely grow sugar, and sugar is proven profitable.

The trade of coffee should go hand-in-hand with the trade of sugar. In Britain the demand for sugar rose exponentially as tea as a beverage grew more popular, leading people to seek more sweeteners like sugar. Thus I wouldn't expect the Nuttana to totally give up on the crop, though given the other options for cash crops I can easily see individual growers taking the decision to grow something else. The demand for fertilizer could both drive up cattle ranching for manure, as well as adoption of agroforestry practices which would greatly improve crop production over time as well. I've read of coffee farms in particular responding well to agroforestry techniques so that could make up some difference for fertilizer demands.

The opium poppy might grow in Nuttana lands - not sure offhand - but there will be big production in the Five Rivers as well during this period, since they've figured out a cheap method of producing almost-morphine (it actually doesn't get rid of most of the codeine)

Opium as a cash crop would do best in Southern Aururia during this time, including Tasmania / Cider Isle, and many varieties have been selectively bred in that very region to become the most potent of poppy varieties including Tasmanian Purple, which maybe can be recreated in this TL.

Producing almost pure morphine would also be very valuable for it's medicinal analgesic properties specifically, but might not be necessary if the opium is being sold as a recreational product, which might be most of the opium, since there are more people seeking to while away the time with their opium pipe than in pain and able to afford processed morphine.

I wonder what will the social implications of this mass cultivation of opium would have in Aururia, what with the problems with physical addiction and abuse it brings, as happened in China, where the problem grew to a breaking point which almost collapsed the Qing dynasty.

The availability of kratom as a more "responsible" alternative for those seeking the opioid effects would also affect the market for it, as well as cannabis which can alleviate minor pains, especially neuropathic, without the physical addiction and withdrawal side of things.

Also, both poppyseed and hempseed are edible seeds and can be used for making oil, which in turn can be used to produce paints, varnishes and such products, which would represent an ancillary industry to the cultivation of these crops.

Cannabis I'm doubtful will be useful, because it is a plant which can be easily grown almost anywhere. Hemp is very easily cultivatable, and indeed was widespread in cultivation in OTL all over the place as both fibre and drug. If there's an Aururian market for it, the European trading companies would be both able and willing to supply it. Especially since they're always looking for goods to market to the Five Rivers and Durigal to maintain the trade balance (for silver and dyes particularly in the Five Rivers, and gold and jeeree in Durigal).

Interesting theory. There may well be a market for cannabis in Aururia, but I doub that the Nuttana could maintain an exclusive one for very long. Even if they maintain a premium product, that is only going to be a small part of the market, with most grown locally.

If the Nuttana can selectively breed stronger and better forms of cannabis as well as using better methods of curing, packing, and transporting it, they can easily corner out anyone, and this is only talking about drug cannabis rather than fiber cannabis.

The thing about cannabis was that it was actually pretty pathetic potency-wise for most of its history, until it started being selectively bred in the 20th century specifically for cannabinoid percentages, as well as appearance and smell etc. which were determined by terpenes and phenolic compounds in the plant. There was enough genetic variety in the species to allow for a whole bunch of expressions of terpenes, including the same ones found in lemons and cloves which affected the flavour and even psychoactive effects. The potency was low enough that cannabis was more usually turned into concentrated hashish than smoked by itself, and selling hashish is not as profitable as selling the flowers themselves since a large amount of flowers turn out only a small amount of hashish.

And the Nuttana can easily selectively breed a superior cannabis crop than any available if they simply used the same methods used by these 20th century cannabis breeders, who started out with the same naturally occuring varieties of cannabis, and produced several varieties that were adapted to different conditions, and with different characteristics.

Also, the factor of terroir would feature into the Nuttana being able to maintain a premium product, since any variety of cannabis they breed adapted to their environs will not produce the same quality crop anywhere else, and there are examples of cannabis landraces which were naturally very potent as long as they were growing in very specific microclimates, which naturally made them very valuable in the overall cannabis market.

So while I agree that eventually Aururians all over will learn to grow their own cannabis, I think Nuttana cannabis could maintain a decent market presence especially amongst the economic elites who would seek quality for it's own sake, same as with their own brand of rum, the Nuttana could put a name on their own variety of cannabis, and package it and trade it accordingly.

Europeans never had a tradition of cultivating cannabis and they never considered it a major trade good, so I don't think they'll be the ones to trade it onto Aururia, so the onus will be on someone else, I think namely the Nuttana to kickstart the market for it before Europeans also want to profit in it, at which point it would be too late since the market for premium cannabis would be cornered by the Nuttana, and the general demand for cannabis would be fulfilled by people growing it for themselves as people tend to do.

Aside from Aururia, there might also be enough of a market in India and parts of Asia where cannabis use was widespread that there would be an elite willing to buy a premium Nuttana cannabis than whatever they get locally, which depends because many of the microclimates I mentioned above are in Asia, but I think some aggressive marketing will make the difference.

Ironically, however, the massive value in cannabis as a cash crop today is solely due to the long period of prohibition throughout the Western world, in a world where it has already been developed as a major commodity in a large portion of the world it wouldn't reach quite the same height. Meaning it's time to innovate if you want to compete, thus selective breeding leading to better crops, leading to more profit.

To conclude, while cannabis does grow readily everywhere, the moment it adapts to a particular environment and is further bred for psychoactive potency as well as other factors is when it becomes a valuable cash crop rather than a common weed.

edit: I was also wondering, are there any mendicant traditions or sects among Plirites, and what in particular is their nature?

edit2: A map I found of the history of cannabis, and it's interesting to note that it was transfered to South America and Mexico from the 17th century onwards, which should mean that the many varieties of cannabis which adapted to the local climate and were famed for their potency didn't take that long to develop, meaning the Nuttana could develop a similarly powerful and valuable strain even faster through cross breeding of varieties from all over (like India, Thailand, Africa) and adapting a cultivar to the local climate.

world-map.jpg

What would also be interesting is if any Aururian religions adopt cannabis as an entheogen like Native Mexicans did. Mexican aboriginal groups like Mayans had their own long traditions of using local entheogens, so adapting another psychoactive for the same purpose made sense for them. Perhaps some can take inspiration from Indian religious sects who use cannabis entheogenically, though I'm not sure how that cultural idea could transfer without direct trade, which I think only the Nuttana would be doing. Though the entheogenic use of cannabis could also develop organically if Aururian religions already make use of entheogens.

Last edited:
That's a lot like the Bantu expansion which was partly caused by the spread of ironworking technology, but it didn't necessarily lead to the development of large unified states, just the expansion of loosely united tribal units with some cultural ties. In the same situation, what kept the Atjuntja united under one state, except for the fact that they have less land than the continent of Africa to occupy?
The key differences are:
- The Atjuntja are conquerning already farmed, relatively densely-settled territory;
- The Atjuntja start out with decent road-building technology from early on; and
- The region being conquered is considerably smaller than the region occupied by the Bantu expansion.

The Bantu expansion was in large part (though not universally) into territory which was relatively thinly-populated (often without existing traditional farming, though again not always). It may not have even started under one central authority (though this is not certain). When occupying territory which is thinly-populated, it's almost impossible to retain centralised control even if there is an existing central authority that is trying to do so.

In contrast, the Atjuntja were a centralised (intially small) alliance of three city-states who began expansion into farming territory, and thus set up rule over other subjects rather than simply displacing them as (mostly) happened during the Bantu expansion.

Do Aururians layout their farms in regards to wattles and yams with any regard to agroforestry, like planting the wattles in a wind barrier around plots of yam? And using the pruned material from the wattle trees as biomass for other crops?
Aururians have extensive, detailed knowledge and practical application of agroforestry, and have had for a long time. This includes things such as companion planting, using wattles at the edge of fields both as windbreaks and as habitat for small birds who control insect pests (or with a few trees in larger fields for the same effect), using wattles in rotation to replenish the soil, using wattle pods (very high nitrogen content) to feed to emus to produce even more effecive manure, using mulching techniques from wattle products, etc.

Their crop package seems a perfect fit for agroforestry and they can easily introduce other trees like fruit or timber trees on the same farms.
They use a variety of other trees for fruit, timber, aromatics, and so forth. One especially important technique is that the various sandalwood trees - both aromatic sandalwood and quandong, which is a non-aromatic variety - are root parasites and need to be grown near host trees for best growth. Acacias are the usual host tree of choice, although occasionally others are also maintained for that purpose.

I researched it before and what is now Tjarrlinghi land is the most productive land for cotton production in Aururia, but the best land for textile production is in fact where it is most humid, which would be the Nuttana land. That's why cotton textile production during the British Industrial Revolution was centred along the more humid areas, and factory environments were kept extra humid and stuffy (and miserable).

So an interesting production pipeline that can be considered is if Tjarrlinghi grow cotton and export it to the Nuttana, who produce textiles and onsell it everywhere else. Outproducing Indian textile producers due to industrial innovation.
The majority of Australian cotton production is indeed around the lands of the Tjarrlinghi, ie the Butjupa and Yalatji around the Darling Downs and a little further south. However, this higher production in these areas is simply a function of modern Australian environmental politics and who has access to irrigation water - growing cotton there requires substantial irrigation since the rainfall is far too low and irregular to sustain a cotton crop.

Australian cotton can be - and is, to a lesser degree - also very easily grown further south in the lands of the ATL Five Rivers, along the Darling, Lachlan and Murumbidgee. At this point, while the Tjarrlinghi have not entirely given up agriculture, they are not really the best-placed to start up the sort of major irrigation works and mass cultivation which would be needed to start a textile-driven industrial revolution. The Five Rivers, in contrast, have both the irrigation expertise and the agricultural manpower needed to mass cultivate cotton, if they put their minds to it. (I doubt that they will, for reasons which I don't want to go into until Act III.)

If the Nuttana are relying on cotton for textile production, they would be best-placed by doing what Britain started, buying it from India. It's possible that the Tjarrlinghi will evolve into a form which allows mass production of cultivation in a century or so, but not in the short term.

Regarding the humidty aspect of textile production, that's actually something which is known about and managed in Aururian textile processing already. Home weavers in Aururian linen (another humidity-sensitive textile) when working in dry regions have learned to work in enclosed areas and add humidity (steam) when needed. This is not necessary in all areas and seasons, but they know how to manage it. (IIRC, silk production in China also managed humidity (and heat) for the same reasons.)

The trade of coffee should go hand-in-hand with the trade of sugar. In Britain the demand for sugar rose exponentially as tea as a beverage grew more popular, leading people to seek more sweeteners like sugar. Thus I wouldn't expect the Nuttana to totally give up on the crop, though given the other options for cash crops I can easily see individual growers taking the decision to grow something else. The demand for fertilizer could both drive up cattle ranching for manure, as well as adoption of agroforestry practices which would greatly improve crop production over time as well. I've read of coffee farms in particular responding well to agroforestry techniques so that could make up some difference for fertilizer demands.
A global coffee boom probably would enhance the demand for sugar. However, I'm doubtful that the relatively small Nuttana coffee production - even if they manage the difficulties - would be worthwhile in boosting the demand for sugar. This is because from the Nuttana point of view, the demand for sugar is basically limitless anyway; they can sell as much as they can produce. Sugar is their benchmark for cash crop production; if it's not worth more than sugar, then they won't be producing it much as an export cash crop. (Though they will of course grow some crops for other purposes, such as local consumption.)

That said, having dug around a bit more I remembered that there are two areas of coffee production in modern Australia. There's the tropical production, which is basically in Nuttana lands (far north Queensland). But there's also subtropical coffee production, stretching from Noosa to Coffs Harbour. Or in ATL terms, from the Kiyungu lands to Daluming. This land is used for spice production ATL, but they have plenty of spare land. They can also grow sugar cane, but the Nuttana aren't sharing the plants and it's not as easy for them to import sugar cane. It would be entertaining if this land became a bigger source of coffee production ATL.

Opium as a cash crop would do best in Southern Aururia during this time, including Tasmania / Cider Isle, and many varieties have been selectively bred in that very region to become the most potent of poppy varieties including Tasmanian Purple, which maybe can be recreated in this TL.

Producing almost pure morphine would also be very valuable for it's medicinal analgesic properties specifically, but might not be necessary if the opium is being sold as a recreational product, which might be most of the opium, since there are more people seeking to while away the time with their opium pipe than in pain and able to afford processed morphine.
Opium can indeed be grown very well in southern Aururia. Or more precisely, poppies can be grown in southern Aururia. The plants have other uses besides opium production, though that is certainly a valuable one. (Such as poppyseed oil, which you referred to later).

The economic advantage of producing almost-morphine is that it is a monopoly during this era, and a genuinely effective analgesic can be sold around the world. So can opium, to a degree, but opium poppies can be grown in lots of places. It's harder to stop rival poppy producers, particularly in Asia.

I wonder what will the social implications of this mass cultivation of opium would have in Aururia, what with the problems with physical addiction and abuse it brings, as happened in China, where the problem grew to a breaking point which almost collapsed the Qing dynasty.
Mass cultivation is a relative term; they will probably be producing significant amounts of it, but that doesn't mean that every Aururian will become an opium addict and destabilise the continent. For one thing, opium will not be the only available drug of choice; kunduri fills part of the same niche, and is significantly less socially disruptive. Kratom may also do the same, as you note. For another, cultivation and consumption of opium happened around much of the world but did not always lead to the problems faced by Qing China, so the outcome is not necessarily as bad as China even if there is significant consumption.

Also, both poppyseed and hempseed are edible seeds and can be used for making oil, which in turn can be used to produce paints, varnishes and such products, which would represent an ancillary industry to the cultivation of these crops.
Aururians also use linseed oil for that purpose, though having additional options never hurts.

(Due to time constraints, I'll reply to the cannabis topic separately at a later time.)

edit: I was also wondering, are there any mendicant traditions or sects among Plirites, and what in particular is their nature?
Not major ones which are wholly mendicant. The idea of charity is an established part of Plirism - the fith path on the Sevenfold path - but it usually operates via a different method. Traditionally the temples support the poor in the community and rely in turn on donations from others to perform their work. This is not a monastic model, but it's not exactly a mendicant one etither - the temples preach to others, receive donations and then pass on those donations to the poor, keeping a little to support themselves. But they do have a fixed temple where they are based.

There is a small Plirite sect surviving in Gutjanal whose members have mendicant missions, where they go out to preach and guide the people and rely on alms when they do so, but they do have a home base where they live the rest of the time, so they aren't wholly mendicant either. (More information about these will follow if I ever get that post finished, and decide whether to post it before or after the rest of the Hunter sequence.

If the Nuttana can selectively breed stronger and better forms of cannabis as well as using better methods of curing, packing, and transporting it, they can easily corner out anyone, and this is only talking about drug cannabis rather than fiber cannabis.
That's a lot of ifs, and on reflection there's not much reason to think that the Nuttana would be best-placed for any of those, except transportation, and that only near the ocean.

The Nuttana have no monopoly on selective breeding techniques, and indeed are not even the best in Aururia for it. The Five Rivers have practiced it on kunduri , aromatics and dyes for centuries; the Yadji have done something similar with certain fungi as part of fuelling death warriors, and on animals have done the same with wool dogs. Peoples across Aururia have been doing selective breeding on a small scale with some plants, such as the native species of tobacco, for centuries.

Likewise, curing is not a Nuttana monopoly. The Five Rivers took up curing techniques for kunduri long before the Nuttana had even been founded, and were adapting those techniques to smoking variants of kunduri from the late 1630s onward. Similar would apply to packing techniques, and the Five Rivers have an established land and river-based transportation network which can reach the majority of the Aururian population.

And the Nuttana can easily selectively breed a superior cannabis crop than any available if they simply used the same methods used by these 20th century cannabis breeders, who started out with the same naturally occuring varieties of cannabis, and produced several varieties that were adapted to different conditions, and with different characteristics.
The same would be equally true of the Five Rivers, and it is the Five Rivers who have a long history of producing aromatically-flavoured drugs. I'm not seeing any particular advantage for the Nuttana here.

So while I agree that eventually Aururians all over will learn to grow their own cannabis, I think Nuttana cannabis could maintain a decent market presence especially amongst the economic elites who would seek quality for it's own sake, same as with their own brand of rum, the Nuttana could put a name on their own variety of cannabis, and package it and trade it accordingly.
The Five Rivers and Durigal could easily do the same in developing premium versions. The particular landraces would not be the same as the Nuttana versions (dfferent microclimates etc), but the techniques to develop their own versions exist amongst both peoples.

Europeans never had a tradition of cultivating cannabis and they never considered it a major trade good, so I don't think they'll be the ones to trade it onto Aururia, so the onus will be on someone else, I think namely the Nuttana to kickstart the market for it before Europeans also want to profit in it, at which point it would be too late since the market for premium cannabis would be cornered by the Nuttana, and the general demand for cannabis would be fulfilled by people growing it for themselves as people tend to do.
The Dutch and English trading companies are searching for anything which can be usefully traded into Aururia. They tried both European and Asian goods early on - the instructions for the early exploration of Aururia ITTL were adapted with only minor changes from instructions given in OTL, and that included a wide array of goods, not just from Europe. While it's certainly possible that the Europeans miss early cannabis, they will probably notice as soon as the Nuttana start trading it. And the Nuttana trading would probably begin before they had really highly-selected premium cannabis (they wouldn't put that effort in unless they'd seen some returns from lower-grade versions).

Even if the Europeans miss it themselves, the Tjibarri would certainly ask if they had any way to obtain it. And the European trading companies could obtain it, from India or elsewhere.

Aside from Aururia, there might also be enough of a market in India and parts of Asia where cannabis use was widespread that there would be an elite willing to buy a premium Nuttana cannabis than whatever they get locally, which depends because many of the microclimates I mentioned above are in Asia, but I think some aggressive marketing will make the difference.
I can certainly see the Nuttana selling a premium version into Asia. The elite market there is large enough in absolute terms to be worthwhile. (The elite market in Aururia, not so much, especially since Durigal or the Five Rivers could easily produce their own premium version within a relatively short timeframe.)

edit2: A map I found of the history of cannabis, and it's interesting to note that it was transfered to South America and Mexico from the 17th century onwards, which should mean that the many varieties of cannabis which adapted to the local climate and were famed for their potency didn't take that long to develop, meaning the Nuttana could develop a similarly powerful and valuable strain even faster through cross breeding of varieties from all over (like India, Thailand, Africa) and adapting a cultivar to the local climate.
Although ironically enough the same may even happen by accident in the Five Rivers, since they would be obtaining different versions from the English (Indian, principally), Dutch (Indonesia, Madagascar, South Africa) and French (mainland SE Asia).

What would also be interesting is if any Aururian religions adopt cannabis as an entheogen like Native Mexicans did. Mexican aboriginal groups like Mayans had their own long traditions of using local entheogens, so adapting another psychoactive for the same purpose made sense for them. Perhaps some can take inspiration from Indian religious sects who use cannabis entheogenically, though I'm not sure how that cultural idea could transfer without direct trade, which I think only the Nuttana would be doing. Though the entheogenic use of cannabis could also develop organically if Aururian religions already make use of entheogens.
There is some tradition of that amongst the Yadji, which was co-opted for death warriors but which existed before that. To a lesser degree also amongst the Atjuntja subject peoples, though not so much the Atjuntja themselves.