Lands of Ice and Mice: An Alternate History of the Thule

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the Ptarmigan is a useful addon to the agricultural package of the Thule. But I think the fact that all those shamans, the leading men of the Thule, are willing to come to that poor woman and learn from her will have a much more significant effect on history.

Keep up the good work!

Poor woman? She was practically the Bill Gates of her time.

And actually, the Shamanic tradition of the Thule, particularly as plants became more important, allowed for women. Back when the Thule were principally hunters, Shamans were mostly men because that was where the food was and most of the food getters, the hunters, were men. Male shamans for a stereotypically male activity. With plants, there's a lot more emphasis on gathering, and on esoteric knowledge of plants, so female shaman began to swow up.

At this point in Thule history, there's not yet a lot of formality in designation of Shaman's. No schools, no colleges, etc. There's an evolving apprenticeship system, and a collegial system, but it's all pretty loosy goosy.

One of the key elements of the Shamanic class that's evolved and is evolving however, is a certain collegiality. Shaman's are constantly going out to meet each other, exchanging root cuttings and seeds, plant and animal lore, discussing what the spirits are getting up to, what the local gossip is, and refining their store of knowledge.

When you hear about another Shaman so mind bogglingly powerful that she's growing birds like they were plants.... well, that's someone you want to go well out of your way to meet. She didn't initially think of herself as a Shaman, but every other Shaman couldn't possibly think of her as anything else but one of them.

Do you mind if I steal some of the plants and the ptarmigan for my Neanderthal TL?
I was going to use some of the same plants, but haven't gotten around to doing nearly as much research as you have.

Do you mind if I steal some of the plants and the ptarmigan for my Neanderthal TL?
I was going to use some of the same plants, but haven't gotten around to doing nearly as much research as you have.

Sure thing, go ahead. You might want to steal Musk Ox too. There's evidence to suggest that they were domesticated or semidomesticated in Europe in neolithic times.

Sure thing, go ahead. You might want to steal Musk Ox too. There's evidence to suggest that they were domesticated or semidomesticated in Europe in neolithic times.
Thanks, but I just need the plants, and the ptarmigan. With 4 big domestics already, I'll leave the muskox as OTL, a potential domestic that never quite got there.

No prob. So what are your other domesticates? Anything cool?
Well there's OTL llama and Alpaca, limited for now in South America.
The Australis (South America) horse, more like a pony or friendly mule. While its Northern cousin was wiped out, the fighting between humans and neanderthals in and around the Pampas kept them alive until they could be domesticated.
The Black Camel. The North American camel, knowing that people on two legs are evil meat eating bastards due to hunting by Neanderthals for 20,000 years or so, managed to survive in the desert.
And the Pygmy Elephant. Some wooly mammoths in California OTL, became pygmies from living solely on some small islands. For coolness, ITTL a few made it back to the mainland after hundreds of generations, and began breeding a little more quickly to deal with predators.
Throw in some small birds, weasels (primarily for fur), with some fish farming in the north, and the America's are rolling in meat.

The Australis (South America) horse, more like a pony or friendly mule. While its Northern cousin was wiped out, the fighting between humans and neanderthals in and around the Pampas kept them alive until they could be domesticated.
The Black Camel. The North American camel, knowing that people on two legs are evil meat eating bastards due to hunting by Neanderthals for 20,000 years or so, managed to survive in the desert.
And the Pygmy Elephant. Some wooly mammoths in California OTL, became pygmies from living solely on some small islands. For coolness, ITTL a few made it back to the mainland after hundreds of generations, and began breeding a little more quickly to deal with predators.
Throw in some small birds, weasels (primarily for fur), with some fish farming in the north, and the America's are rolling in meat.

Gotcha. Nice. So that's why you were interested in the microlivestock link.

Hope that the other link I posted was useful as well.

You might want to look up the Gomphotherium. An elephant relative about the size of a large cow, that survived in South American up until about 400CE. Some possibles.

Poor woman? She was practically the Bill Gates of her time.

Not at the time the first shaman arrived.

Of course, female shamans and a more collegial nature of shamanism facilitates this.

Nevertheless, at the beginning highly respected, educated members of a distinguished class (shamans) come over to learn from an obvious outsider to this class because of genuine interest. There seems to be no status-thinking around, nor ideologies or fundamental believes. To me, shamans look significantly more openminded, pragmatic and empirical than many other priest/scientist/engineering castes seen in history. That will prove a major advantage. If the Europeans arrive, shamans will flock to them to see what they offer and incorporate it as quickly as possible. It's some sort of institutionalized Meiji-thinking.

You might want to look up the Gomphotherium. An elephant relative about the size of a large cow, that survived in South American up until about 400CE. Some possibles.
Thought about it at first, but decided to leave them out. I wanted the America's to be more advanced but still not equal to Europe. With more big domestics, that changes the dynamics too much. It's also a little late for adding in big ones without some large retcons.

That story on the Domestication of the Ptarmigans was inspired work! My father is an archaeologist for the Forest Service and would drool thinking about studying historical agricultural development!

That story on the Domestication of the Ptarmigans was inspired work! My father is an archaeologist for the Forest Service and would drool thinking about studying historical agricultural development!

Thank you. 'Work of Genius' events like that, I believe are rare. Most times, people just sort of stumble around incrementally. But they do happen from time to time. So I thought it worthwhile to write about one such event.

Not at the time the first shaman arrived.

Make no mistake. By that time, she was probably the wealthiest person in the community and accorded a grudging respect.

Nevertheless, at the beginning highly respected, educated members of a distinguished class (shamans) come over to learn from an obvious outsider to this class because of genuine interest.

I don't know that they had any sense of her as being an obvious outsider. Basically the agricultural shamanic tradition that had evolved amounted to intersession or manipulation of spirits to grow plants or catch animals. You hear about someone who is growing animals as if they were plants... well, in to a Thule Shaman in Thule culture, the only way you can conceptualize that is that the person must be a Shaman. What else could they be? A spirit?

There seems to be no status-thinking around, nor ideologies or fundamental believes. To me, shamans look significantly more openminded, pragmatic and empirical than many other priest/scientist/engineering castes seen in history.

Well, the underlying belief animating Thule Shamanism is of a variety of spirits inhabiting the natural world of capricious and uncommunicative nature. It is possible to placate or please the spirits with words, songs, actions or practices in order to earn their favour. There are also a variety of places where spirits are inherently more favourable. Without the spirits directly talking to you, there's a certain trial and error or experimentation that is necessary in order to figure out how to get best results from them

So there is status thinking, ideology and fundamental belief. The thing is that Thule society over the last several hundred years has been in constant flux. They've expanded through the north, they've tipped over into agriculture. Basically, the rules of the spirits keep changing. So you have to be openminded, pragmatic and empirical. There are probably limits to this. I'm not sure how well Shamans cope with things like metallurgy or chemistry, or with technologies or resources that they can't relate back to the spirit world they know.

And its not particularly unusual. Even the most hidebound and dogmatic organization or intellectual structure - the Roman Catholic Church, for instance, was once happening, innovative, empirical and pragmatic. Especially pragmatic. That's a necessary phase to working out success and what what works, before orthodoxy sets in.

The Thule Shamanic tradition started out as fairly orthodox, but expansion into new territories, the continual accumulation of new practices, including revolutionary developments keeps stirring the pot.

Orthodoxy will come creeping back eventually. Possibly. Possibly around 1500-1550, as the cultural infusions from the Norse work themselves through Thule. Or maybe not. The little ice age poses challenges, and within a couple of centuries there will be renewed contact with a new Europe.

That will prove a major advantage. If the Europeans arrive, shamans will flock to them to see what they offer and incorporate it as quickly as possible. It's some sort of institutionalized Meiji-thinking.

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly the Shamans big defense against the onslaught of Christianity is going to be Empirical results, so it may shake up an ossifying orthodoxy and trigger a new empiricism. But I remain profoundly uncertain as to how its going to cope with technological complexity.

Last edited:
I always remain fascinated by the concept of the Arctic "fortress." I think maybe the usual rules of contact with European power don't apply so well here; the Europeans don't have the same ability to insinuate themselves in, then build up some base strong enough to stand back and defy local power with impunity, they did just about anywhere else. I feel that insofar as Europeans will indeed infiltrate into Thule territory they will do so on local sufferance, but they can always be expelled.

So that's kind of double-edged; if the Thule Shamans remain open to argumentation and change I have some confidence they can hit most of the curve-balls European capitalist society throws at them. But by that very same token they might choose not to, to withdraw instead; then eventually--not by the early 19th century but at last by the late 19th and early 20th, the European-descended powers will indeed be able to force their way into the Arctic.

I also realize maybe I overstate how helpless non-Thule would be there.

But, well, take a look at this picture, taken from here. This is the ice cap of the Arctic as of today. It would be interesting to compare it to June, but for around half the year at least, this is what the great powers of Europe are up against in the Arctic.
-----
I belatedly realized, while reloading the page, that the original picture I had attached here was way too big considering its purpose is merely to illustrate the extent of Arctic ice in winter. Since I was going into Photoshop for quite another purpose I took the opportunity to make a smaller one and replace the monster pic with it.

Note that we today live in a warming period, with the Arctic winter sea ice pack being smaller and thinner than ever directly observed before. Whereas the Thule, at this point of the timeline, are going into the Little Ice Age. Which they will stay in well into the 19th Century. Brr!

Smallerarctic_SSMIS_nic.jpg

Last edited:
Backing up for more minor quibbling re: reindeer

Or caribou, I should say ;)

I'm very doubtful of the factoid that it takes two people to milk them. I've milked them solo (well, three, IIRC) and am no kind of stockraiser. Yes, you have to hobble them -- but don't you do that with cows and goats? (Honestly not sure).

I'm honestly uncertain about the quantity of milk issue. Certainly about half a liter each was no problem to get, in one fairly brief (if strenuous on the hands) sitting. But these were very much domesticated and sedentary reindeer kept specifically for dairying (at least, within the capability of the Sakha Republic c. 1992; both modern and postapocalyptic).

As far as riding goes, I've read and been told there is great variation (at least in Siberian populations, domestic and feral) in strength/hardiness and size; but FWIW I never rode one, because I was too big for any of the ones around to take (~160-170 lbs). I think it was workable because the people were much smaller -- certainly the older generations of Evens/Evenks I have met were very petite people; like the oldest generation of Japanese I knew growing up.

And yes, it's true, they will chase you down to lap up your urine.

(I like them. Not as much as camels, but they're one of the few large four-legged species that doesn't seem to instinctively loathe me.)

Or caribou, I should say ;)

I'm very doubtful of the factoid that it takes two people to milk them. I've milked them solo (well, three, IIRC) and am no kind of stockraiser. Yes, you have to hobble them -- but don't you do that with cows and goats? (Honestly not sure).

I'm always happy to be corrected. The literature that I dug up suggested that they were a two man job, and one man was required to hold the antlers. But if that's not true, then so be it.

What does it taste like?

I'm honestly uncertain about the quantity of milk issue. Certainly about half a liter each was no problem to get, in one fairly brief (if strenuous on the hands) sitting. But these were very much domesticated and sedentary reindeer kept specifically for dairying (at least, within the capability of the Sakha Republic c. 1992; both modern and postapocalyptic).

Some areas might have had a longer period for selective breeding. But I understand that half a liter is within reasonable tolerance. Still, when you compare to goat or cattle milk production, that's pretty low.

As far as riding goes, I've read and been told there is great variation (at least in Siberian populations, domestic and feral) in strength/hardiness and size; but FWIW I never rode one, because I was too big for any of the ones around to take (~160-170 lbs). I think it was workable because the people were much smaller -- certainly the older generations of Evens/Evenks I have met were very petite people; like the oldest generation of Japanese I knew growing up.

I believe that there's a fair bit of variance in the North American population, within breeds. I think that a reasonable carrying capacity might be about 20 or 25%, so even small people would probably require an animal over 400 lbs. Those are likely to be the bulls. Riding, I think does come in as a later innovation. But it requires a bunch of adjustments.

And yes, it's true, they will chase you down to lap up your urine.

Kinky.

(I like them. Not as much as camels, but they're one of the few large four-legged species that doesn't seem to instinctively loathe me.)

Good to know. Thank you.

Arctic Hare (Lepus Arcticus) - From Vermin to Livestock

One of the last formal domesticates, the Arctic Hare in many places in the Thule world is arguably still as much a vermin animal as a semi-domesticate.
The Arctic Hare is approximately two feet long, and weighs nine to twelve pounds. The mating season is April or May. It has a gestation period of fifty days, and gives birth to litters of two to eight, with six being average. They live about five years, and reach sexual maturity in eight to ten months.

They are opportunistic vegetarians. Basically, an arctic hare eats a fairly similar diet to Caribou and Musk Ox. Particularly favoured are arctic willow and purple saxifrage. They tend to crop right to the root and can harm the plant more than the bigger herbivores.

Arctic hare is drawn heavily to human agriculture and congregates around human spaces, where it is frequently harvested for meat, fur and leather. The border between vermin and food animal was somewhat blurred. Thule/Inuit farmers recognized the affinity of Hares for the garden meadows or fields, and would erect barriers and traps to harvest the Hare as they came.

A certain amount of Hare attrition of the crops was accepted in return for the gift of Hare meat taken from traps. During spring and summer ‘injury traps’ were used, so that the cries of distressed and injured animals would deter others.

There were a number of factors that worked against domestication. One of these was that wild Arctic Hare were often readily available. Attracted to human agriculture, the animals would continually show up, so they were readily easy to catch as free meat. Their high reproductive rate means that their population can sustain a fairly high level of harvest. Arctic Hare bones keep showing up in early agricultural middens, when most animal protein vanishes.

The other factor working against domestication was their speed. Arctic hare are notable for being able to sprint up to 40 miles an hour, and for their abilities to dig burrows and to dig into snow cover. This made them difficult to catch and easy to lose.

On the other hand, a relatively high reproductive rate, and broad diet made them good candidates as microlivestock. Arctic Hare were also notable for being sociable and for congregating in groups of up to 100 although they have no formal hierarchies, so they were tolerant to population densities.
Two factors lead to the shift of Arctic Hare from Vermin to Microlivestock.

One of these was the inspiration of Ptarmigan domestication, and the ‘proof’ of its value. Many Thule cultures began to look at Arctic Hare in a new light.

The other factor was the deep decline of Arctic hare in many densely populated regions. Essentially, the hunting pressure of dense population, together with the dogs, and semi-domesticated vermin hunters overwhelmed the reproductive capacity of the Hare. The vermin hunters in particular, oriented towards hunting voles and lemmings in great numbers found the Hare comparatively easy prey.

The result was slow domestication of live specimens in many areas. The usual method was to capture Arctic Hare over winter in live traps and keep them in managed pens. Often live animals would be imported to regions where they were scarce. Over time, due to handling from early age and selective breeding, they became quite human tolerant.

However, a considerable wild population exists, and the domesticated Hares go feral readily. T

he Hares emerged in many areas as an important meat source for the Thule. In addition, the fur and hide was also valued.

It will be interesting to see how the existence of domesticated arctic hare interacts with the later fur trade. If the Thule also domesticate the arctic fox (which I think they would), then they may be later adapted to being farmed for their fur rather than to control vermin. After the changes caused by earlier selection, they may well take to that well, given that they have litters of up to 25 after 52 days gestation and are very social, often living in multi-generational dens with cubs from previous litters helping with the care of subsequent ones.

You might also see some interesting effects if the slate blue fur colouration (which is a recessive gene) is selected for at some point to produce a specific breed.

OF MICE AND VERMIN

In one senseThule Agriculture amounted to nothing less than a profound transformation of large parts of the Arctic environment. Microclimate engineering, year after year, century after century, changed the very character of the north. Windbreaks, drainage and irrigation channels, ponding drift catchers, dramatically increased the productivity of the landscape. Even in areas too poor for human agriculture, microclimate engineering had been employed to increase caribou and musk ox forage and enhance the biological productivity. Over time, many of these areas were enriched to the point of sustaining human agriculture, even as microclimates devoted to caribou and musk ox spread.

Warmer soil temperatures, extended growing seasons, water, more decaying vegetation mixed into the ground, the actions of insects and plants, crude fertilizers, created a rough, comparatively low quality, arctic soil. It took roughly 150 to 200 years for arctic soil to form. But by the time of heavy European contact in the 1700's, this meant that many areas had 300 to 400 years of soil formation, and much of the arctic was covered with microclimate soils ranging from one to four generations. The Arctic under the Thule was immensely greener and richer than the territory in its natural state. The vegetable biomass had increased significantly

But in another sense, the Arctic had not changed at all. There were no new species. There was just a lot more of it. The deck had been reshuffled, there was immensely more sweetvetch, more roseroot, more claytonia, more bistort and fireweed, for caribou and musk ox there was more sedge and purple saxifrage. More humans, more caribou, more musk ox and ptarmigan.
But no new species were introduced and no old species vanished. The deck had been shuffled, but all the cards were still the same. In particular, the animals that amounted to the arctic ecology were all still around, including voles and lemmings.

A vole is also known as a meadow mouse or field mouse. Some statistics to consider. A vole reaches sexual maturity at approximately one month of age. Once mature, it can produce five to ten litters per year, each litter taking three weeks to gestate, and another month to reach sexual maturity. A litter will run five to ten young. Lemmings reproduction and diet are similar.

Now, let’s do some math. Start with a single breeding pair of vole. First generation they produce a litter of 10 offspring, each of whom form breeding pairs and get busy. Assume every generation is seven weeks (3 weeks gestation, plus 4 more weeks to reach sexual maturity) Assume every breeding pair reproduces at every opportunity, and produces maximum litters, all of which survive and breed. Second generation, that 12 voles producing 60 offspring. Third generation gets you 72 voles producing 300 offspring. Fourth generation is 372 producing 1860 offspring. Fifth generation 2232 animals producing 11,160 animals. Sixth generation is now 13,392 animals producing 66,960 voles. Seventh generation is now up to 80,352 breeding pairs of creatures, and they will produce 401,760 offspring, or a total of 482,112 voles. Seven generations is 49 weeks. Call that a year.

Extend that over two years, or three. It's enough to turn your hair white. Of course, at that reproductive rate, breeding flat out, voles would soon outnumber every other life form on the planet. Within a handful of centuries they would outweigh the mass of the earth. Obviously that doesn’t happen. 88% of Voles die within their first month of life, and luckily, litter sizes and reproduction rates are often far from maximum.

Two critical things limit the populations of voles and lemmings: Food supply; Predators.

Let’s take a look at food supply. What do voles eat? Anything. They’ll eat dead animals and similar detritus. But they’re dedicated herbivores and thrive on small plants, just about any nut or fruit, and particularly succulent root systems and bulbs in ground. They’ll devour a root system until the plant is dead, and they girdle small trees and ground cover like a porcupine.

Voles are expert tunnelers and burrowers. They’re also ‘subniveal.’ What that means is that Vole in the winter live in tunnels beneath the snowcover. Now the thing is that under a six inch snow cover, the temperature never goes above 0, regardless of the temperature above the snow cover. Now zero or zed degrees celsius is not great. But in the Arctic, the temperature above the snow cover can run between twenty and fifty degrees below zero. So it’s a huge advantage. It also allows the vole protection from predators, and allows them to access edible plants and vegetation beneath the snow cover.

In short, the Vole and Lemming are particularly well suited and well adapted to take advantage of Thule agricultural plants, among many others in the arctic. They are better suited than humans because they need not wait three years for a perrenial crop to mature.

The Thule Agricultural revolution transforms the north, vastly increasing biomass. But really, what’s being vastly increased is the food supply to support the vole and lemming population. What we have here are animals which eat and reproduce so rapidly that they can devour crops faster than the Thule can grow them.

Ouch.

Under those circumstances, the Thule agricultural revolution may well die before it is born, suffering from the predation of a little creature with an exponential growth rate.

In a sense, all agricultural societies have had to face this bottleneck. We’re not the only ones that eat the crops. Everything from locusts to crows to elk show up at the dinner table with their napkins on. It may be that the true success or failure of agriculture to emerge in different regions has a lot more to do with the presence of these opportunistic feeders. There’s no point in raising a crop, if that crop is eaten before you get to it. There’s no point in trying to store an agricultural surplus if those surpluses are consumed.

Successful agricultural societies are lucky in either not having, or not having too voracious, a set of opportunists around, or in having crops not appealing to opportunists, or in having ways of controlling opportunists.

Inevitably, the Thule Agricultural revolution created a bonanza for vole and lemmings, creating a complex and often difficult relationship.

In times of famine or of swarming the Thule would harvest and eat vole and lemmings. Typically, the animals would be collected into a sack, beaten to paste, and the paste cooked or boiled. In some areas, vole or lemming were a delicacy to be seasonally harvested. Elaborate means were used to cause voles or lemmings to swarm and flee their dens. Beaters, smokers, and fine nets were used in the exercise.

When not eaten, vole or lemmings would still be caught, pounded in sacks, and stored in permafrost as food for dogs. In some areas, captive voles would be raised in rock bound pens as dog fodder. It’s estimated that vole, either wild harvested or raised domestically, constitute as much as 15 to 20% of domestic dog diets, coming behind fish (25 to 30%) and human scraps (20 to 25%), and slightly ahead of Caribou (10 to 15%)

Nevertheless, the priority of the Thule was always to control the numbers and reproduction of animals such as voles and lemming in their agricultural areas and save their crops. To this end, the Thule evolved a number of countermeasures.

One approach, for instance, was to graze caribou or musk ox in crop fields over winter. The trampling of snow, and scooping would destroy subnivean habitat, the secure zone under snow cover that voles and lemming relied upon. There were downsides to this. With snow cover compromised, plants were more vulnerable to cold, and the cropping and forage of caribou and musk ox required some plants to regrow or regenerate leaves and stems. There were advantages, caribou and musk ox droppings provided fertilizer, shed hairs and other materials darkened and dirtied the snow, which together with trampling caused it to absorb more light in spring and melt more quickly, speeding up the growing season.

Another method was tolerating or supporting small predators, Snowy Owl, Arctic Fox, and Ermines in particular as vermin control. This simply took advantage of relationships normally found in nature. Each of these animals hunted and ate vole and lemmings as a significant part of their diet anyway.
These animals became the Thule semi-domesticates. Basically, they were not hunted or killed, except in special circumstances. The Thule would build or manipulate habitats to lure them. In some cases, the Thule would actively trap or physically relocate the animals. Occasionally, infants would be raised up as pets, or adult or semi-adult animals would be tamed. In times of hardship, during population crashes of vole or lemming, the Thule would go out of their way to feed these animals. Dogs would be trained to avoid eating or chasing these animals by being fed poisoned carcasses while young. For the most part, however, the semi-domesticates were left to themselves, tolerated in the Thule community, occasionally harvested, but principally left alone to do their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.