Land of Salmon and Totems

October 1805. Where The Columbia and Hood River meet.....

"Do you see them?" William Clark asked Meriwether Lewis. Lewis looked down the river, squinting ahead to see what was going on in the distance. It was early in the morning, there was fog on the river that they had been traveling on for days now. Lewis, the commander of this Corps of Discovery, did not know what they would have done without the help of the Shoshone river guides all thanks to Sacagawea (or Janey as Clark liked to call her) indian women. Lewis scratched his chin and put his paddle in his lap for a moment, in the few canoes they had the thirty-three member expedition had been on the water for days after crossing the "Rockies" Mountains. Meeting the tribe that called themselves the Nimíipuu they had sent the expedition on the Nch’i-Wàna by the Nimiipuu. They had, had a message waiting for them from the people they were to meet. As well as the latest news back east, apparently the United States was winning the war against the corsairs on the Barbary Coast. "I'm not sure Clark, the Nimiipuu said the fort should be aroun-wait! I see it!"

Lewis's hand shot up to point in the distance! There it was! The fort was described as being at the mouth of a river that connected with the Nch’i-Wàna as the Nimiipuu described it, the river would lead off to the mountain, Wy'east, which they had spotted days ago. It was pretty simple from the distance, five houses made of wooden logs. Looking closer though as the expedition came up to the fort Lewis could see that it was situated ontop of a small hill and that it was enfact ringed by a stout palisade of sharpened tree trunks, very large tree trunks, fromt he looks of it though if the men defending the fort wanted too they could easily dislodge those logs downhill....The fort also seemed to have a heavy door to it as well as a couple firing towers...from its position that ofrt most likely controlled the access way this far down the river.

Clark nodded toward the fort as they came closer, they could see men coming down from the fort to the river bank, letting out a sigh Clark turned to Lewis "Its been a long while Lewis....I can't believe our expedition has come to an end already"

Lewis gave Clark a smile and sighed as well putting the paddle in his hands as he prepared to start off toward the fort "Yes, but we did it! We've discovered so much and met so many people. We will be heros when we return by boat around South America! We have mapped the entire Louisiana Purchase! From the Mississippi River from its begninning to its end at the Gods Mountains Range of the Haida Kingdom, the Haida Gwaii as they call it!Our country has grown Clark, where we used to have the French to our west we have the Haida and Spanish as neighbors now!"

I hope I can contribute...I once worked in a historical archives at the mouth of the Columbia and I'm pretty familiar with the history of the PNW.

How did the Haida move over 500 miles south from their OTL location on Queen Charlotte Island? Is there a POD that results in their displacement? What happened to the numerous tribes that lived along the Columbia River basin?

Also, where is the location of this fort, and what sort of "heavy door" do Lewis and Clark see on their arrival? Certainly not something using hinges or any metal?

I hope I can contribute...I once worked in a historical archives at the mouth of the Columbia and I'm pretty familiar with the history of the PNW.

How did the Haida move over 500 miles south from their OTL location on Queen Charlotte Island? Is there a POD that results in their displacement? What happened to the numerous tribes that lived along the Columbia River basin?

That I am still figuring it out and the fact that the Maryland State University Library System doe snot have many Pacific Northwest related books, espcieally Haida ones is limiting.

Though the premise of this Timeline so far I have two divergences.

I'll answer those questions in my next post

My biggest hamper to this is language really, Names for people and names for places before we came in and named things differently. I need a Haida-English Dictionary!

Also, where is the location of this fort, and what sort of "heavy door" do Lewis and Clark see on their arrival? Certainly not something using hinges or any metal?

I put it ontop of the post! Where the Columbia and Hood river meet.

That I am still figuring it out and the fact that the Maryland State University Library System doe snot have many Pacific Northwest related books, espcieally Haida ones is limiting.

Though the premise of this Timeline so far I have two divergences.

I'll answer those questions in my next post

My biggest hamper to this is language really, Names for people and names for places before we came in and named things differently. I need a Haida-English Dictionary!

For the most part, I disagree. You'll be fine just calling stuff by whatever name the Europeans came up with.

Your biggest hamper is the fact that there are few reasons why the Haida (while being more famous than the other tribes of the area, they are both less-numerous and less-suited towards the way of life required than the other tribes of the the lower Oregon Country) would immigrate 500 miles either overland or by an expedition further than any recorded by native tribes in the area, while at the same time improving their relatively limited organizational structure and technology and establishing political control over the other tribes in the region.

I put it ontop of the post! Where the Columbia and Hood river meet.

Caught that. So, Hood River? Pretty decent spot. Though there is no record of any native settlement, I can see why a centralized government would place a fortification there, assuming they knew of baddies up-river. But you still need to come up with a centralized government holding sway over enough of the PNW to be interested in establishing a fort on a river in a place that doesn't really protect against any realistic forays that the inland tribes of Washington and Oregon would make, and unfortunately I think that's unlikely.

Your biggest hamper is the fact that there are few reasons why the Haida (while being more famous than the other tribes of the area, they are both less-numerous and less-suited towards the way of life required than the other tribes of the the lower Oregon Country) would immigrate 500 miles either overland or by an expedition further than any recorded by native tribes in the area, while at the same time improving their relatively limited organizational structure and technology and establishing political control over the other tribes in the region.

I'd personally give the OP the benefit of the doubt. There have been a few times in history where a small and otherwise insignificant tribe manage to at least take control (if not conquer) a larger country, like Alexander of Macedon, the Manchus and the Mongols. Yes, the Haida is only limited to the Queen Charlotte Islands OTL, so I'm pretty interested how they managed to expand into a large domain in this TL.

For the most part, I disagree. You'll be fine just calling stuff by whatever name the Europeans came up with.

Caught that. So, Hood River? Pretty decent spot. Though there is no record of any native settlement, I can see why a centralized government would place a fortification there, assuming they knew of baddies up-river. But you still need to come up with a centralized government holding sway over enough of the PNW to be interested in establishing a fort on a river in a place that doesn't really protect against any realistic forays that the inland tribes of Washington and Oregon would make, and unfortunately I think that's unlikely.

Certainly going to take a while, the next post (which should either be tomorrow or so, I have to study for Chinese at somepoint after all, will explain the basics for the Great Exodus of not just the Haida but also the Tlingit and Tsimshian. Though I won't go into detail how the potato got into being grown in the Columbia Basin.

Humble Beginnings

“A long time my people been waiting for you…’Americans’” the Haida Fort Chief says to Lewis sitting behind a desk in what has to be the Chief’s office inside the Haida fort. Lewis notices the grin and pause as the Haida says “American”, which to Lewis the reason is clear. His ancestors have only been in the Americas for a hundred, maybe two hundred years while the Haida’s chief’s have been for untold millennium no doubt! Lewis coughs and bows his head to the Chief “Yes well, were here now, as by the Treaty of Orleans we recognize your undeniable sovereignty east of the Gods Mountains (Cascades) as well as protectorate rights over inland tribes like the Nimiipuu who we met on the journey over. As such we will ensure the protection of these tribes as you will ensure those of American trappers and hunters, as well as agreed with Britain their people.”

In a short amount of time before they had even made landfall on the bank of the river, Haida War Canoes had swiftly met them first. Some the Haida had been bare chested and painted with large tattoos of some kind of large bird across their entire chests, while the others wore plain cloth uniforms of red and black and they had been of British design Lewis had noticed. The men in the canoes had first pointed rifles at them; the bare-chested ones had either bayonets or large wooden clubs. Bringing them to shore the expedition had been lead up to the fort, Lewis had been surprised when two trap doors opened up and even more Haida poured out to surround the expedition. Obvious intimidation, it was a ritual of sorts but Lewis stomached it anyway.

Entering the fort the heavy doors Lewis had spotted before had been redwood! Lewis had never seen one but he had heard of the rumors brought by traders and sailors to this side of the world. He couldn’t imagine the side of the trees, and from the wear of this one it must have been a young one. Each of the twelve foot by twelve foot door panels had been made from a single tree! The doors had been pushed back with great effort by many of who seemed to be slaves by the way they were plain clothed and a few were shoved around by the wooden club wielding soldiers. The door had metal hinges as large as his arm! To swing back the mighty door letting all into the fort. Inside it was as if walking into a native village. There stood the five wooden buildings he has spotted before, the tallest being only two stories high, these had to be the storehouses, the barracks, and the armory for the fort. The ‘courtyard’ was just a wide open space, on one side stood a number of small wooden huts and the other side stood great stands where in various stages of work-in-progress laid war canoes.

He hoped Clark was doing alright, before going to meet the Chief of the fort Clark had sought out the quartermaster to haggle for supplies and no doubt some Haida art craft of some sort. When they had set out Clark had expressed greatly that he wanted to go back to Virginia with one totem pole. Though it seemed as if the Haida had read his mind when the Chief next spoke “We shall keep the arrangements of the treaty, my men will guide you down to the Chinook Port at the Great River’s mouth where you will stay for a while as Story Poles of your journey by the Great Chief…you know you could make a lot of wealth selling your story”

Lewis shook his head, he would never understand these people how could one buy a story? When you tell it, it is like giving it away is it not? “I’m sure I could sir but it is fine, if that is all I will be joining my men now”
…..

The Pacific Northwest has always been known for its abundance. Its abundance of easily acquired natural resources from its vast acres of woodland of cedar, Douglas fir, and redwood to the abundance of salmon swimming through rivers and the ocean itself. As such in its abundance it allowed the creation of unique cultural area in contrast to much of the rest of the Americas.

Distinct from any neighbors around them and well fed by what nature provided it allowed a number of native groups to flourish. In the far northern regions were the Inuit and coming southward from the Alaskan coast one could find the Tlingit, Niska, Haida, Tsimshian, Haisla, Bella Bella, Heiltsuk. On the island of Vancouver one could find the Nookta, the Kwakiutl, and the Coastal Salish who also stretched into the Olympia Peninsula and the Puget Sound as well as various enclaves in the Salish territories. Further you could find the Chinook at the mouth of the Columbia River and to the south of them the Tillamook as well as the Alsea, Siuslaw and others as you went southward along the California coastline. All these groups were ones who lived on the bounty of the sea as they fished for salmon or hunted whales and seals or the clams and crabs on the beaches. There is a saying amongst the Tlingit that you have to be an idiot to starve. Such were their dependence no doubt if a single ecological disaster were to upset the food balance their society would be turned upside down.

I’ll get more on that in a short while.

Let us focus on the Willamette Valley here as well as the Columbia Basin area. The area is very noticeably a very fertile agricultural area which is due to a series of ice age floods that fertilized the topsoil of the valley as it was flooded numerous times. The area is bounded in the west by the Oregon coast range and to the east by the Cascades and in the south by the Calapooya Mountains. The Willamette River itself zigzags down the center of the valley area, breaking off into other rivers here and there as it winds its way southward. The floodplain area is home to numerous species of plants alone. The climate can be very wet but with rare snow as the summers are somewhat warm but dry.

Now in this area inhabits a series of tribal groups, the Kalapuya made up by various bands that inhabit this area. They lived here in a hunter-gather style, hunting the deer and waterfowl of the valley and living off the various grasses, nuts, potatoes, and berries that grew along the river and in the hills. At times causing fires to shape the environment to encourage growth. This area is a fertile crescent of sorts, capable of growing over two hundred various forms of crops and already home to abundant wildlife.

Let us consider here that out of Mesoamerica and even further from the Andes through long native trade routes came various crops such as maize, tomatoes, peanuts, and other legumes. Now from this started the well known Mississippian Culture along the Mississippi River that lasted from 800 CE to 1500CE. So what is not to say that it is possible for such a thing to happen in the Willamette Valley? Its fertile and well closed off by surrounding mountains and is by no means a harsh climate, let us say that sometime between 500 BC to 100AD these plants reach into the Willamette Valley area and as time goes on the natives spread these plants throughout the valley and eventually taking a hands on approach to planting and seeding crops in an organized fashion.

Thus we have the beginnings of the Willamette Valley Civilization.

Last edited:

Entering the fort the heavy doors Lewis had spotted before had been redwood!
Why import redwood when e.g. Douglas fir would likely do as well? Redwoods don't grow that far north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoia said:
Coast Redwoods occupy a narrow strip of land approximately 750 km (470 miles) in length and 8–75 km (5–47 miles) in width along the Pacific coast of North America; the elevation range is mostly from 30-750 m, occasionally down to sea level and up to 920 m (about 3,000 feet) (Farjon 2005). They usually grow in the mountains where there is more precipitation from the incoming moisture off the ocean. The tallest and oldest trees are found in deep valleys and gullies, where year-round streams can flow, and fog drip is regular. The trees above the fog layer, above about 700 m, are shorter and smaller due to the drier, windier, and colder conditions. In addition, tanoak, pine and Douglas-fir often crowd out redwoods at these elevations. Few redwoods grow close to the ocean, due to intense salt spray, sand and wind.

Fog is of major importance in Coast Redwood ecology. Redwood National Park.

The northern boundary of its range is marked by two groves on the Chetco River on the western fringe of the Klamath Mountains, 25 km (15 miles) north of the California-Oregon border. The largest (and tallest) populations are in Redwood National and State Parks (Del Norte and Humboldt Counties) and Humboldt Redwoods State Park (Humboldt County, California). The southern boundary of its range is somewhere in the Santa Lucia Mountains of the Big Sur area of Monterey County, California.

Yes, Douglas firs would make more sense.

I'm still mystified as to how you're going to get the Haida to give up a fishing civilization in favor of agriculture, get them moved hundreds of miles to the south, etc, etc.

You also completely hand-waved the agricultural basis of this society. They didn't get there in OTL, so you have to show how they would have gotten there in TTL. It's incredibly difficult to transition stuff into the PNW, as it's so isolated before steam power makes steamships and railroads possible.

I give you credit for trying a PNW TL, I'm just saying it's not particularly credible.

PS: The Willamette Valley is a decent potato place (before the Civil War, U.S. Grant failed in a bid to become a potato farmer), but maize and peanuts are non-starters in our climate.

Yes, Douglas firs would make more sense.

I'm still mystified as to how you're going to get the Haida to give up a fishing civilization in favor of agriculture, get them moved hundreds of miles to the south, etc, etc.

You also completely hand-waved the agricultural basis of this society. They didn't get there in OTL, so you have to show how they would have gotten there in TTL. It's incredibly difficult to transition stuff into the PNW, as it's so isolated before steam power makes steamships and railroads possible.

I give you credit for trying a PNW TL, I'm just saying it's not particularly credible.

PS: The Willamette Valley is a decent potato place (before the Civil War, U.S. Grant failed in a bid to become a potato farmer), but maize and peanuts are non-starters in our climate.

1The Haida (and other related groups) have a serious case of You-Got-It-Flaunt-It (Potlatch), lets say a Haida nobleman builds this fort. Chopping down a redwood tree from his land and floating it down the Columbia to this fort, using parts of it for the fort while stylizing two chunks of it and putting it up as the door (I suppose I should have described the rest of the fort being made of Douglas fir). Though if it was Douglas Fir that works as well.

2They will come in time, though in ways it will more or less be equivalent of the Vedics invading India or Vandals the Roman Empire.

3 Thats part of the POD. Though I thought I mentioned the Native American trade ways. Thats how corn from Mesoamerica made its way to the Mississippian culture, how Aztec copper made its way to the Pacific Northwest in a few instances, and I believe how the Pacific Inuit got iron from Atlantic Inuit who got it from Vinland. Not to mention a few skulls from natives of the Pacific Northwest got in a Mesoamerican temple (as I saw in an article sometime ago). This is also how the smallpox would ravage the rest of the continent before Europeans even took major steps there-originating in the outbreaks in Mesoamerica and Mississipian region with De Soto- collapsing urban centers and presenting the Europeans who would arrive there later with scattered bands of survivours..
As for a route I think the nomadic groups of the great plains and great basin would be good transmitters to the Columbia basin area ergo Willamette Valley. Of course I could just say as well explain the plants arrived there in the migratory period of the prehistory era.

Turning it into organized agriculture is on the lines of "The Land of Red and Gold"'s premise of then Aboriginals having this red yam and making organized agiculture with it as well as including various other local plants. I mostly included the maize and tomatos in there for a wider diet though it could be done with those native potatos* as well as the other native plants like the buckwheats, grasses, berries, and nuts.
* I read about the Kalapuya on a online article that explained their life before the Euro-contact and it mentioned that they did grow some kind of potato before European arrival.

Last edited:
could be done with those native potatos* as well as the other native plants like the buckwheats, grasses, berries, and nuts.
* I read about the Kalapuya on a online article that explained their life before the Euro-contact and it mentioned that they did grow some kind of potato before European arrival.

I'd be very, VERY careful with interpreting some of that. Before contact, the Iroquois/Haudenosaunee used a tuber that was called "Indian Potato" (or something close, I forget the exact term). However the only 'potato'ness was that it was a whitish starchy tuber. IIRC, it had very low productivity and was quickly abandoned when better crops came along.

OTOH, if your PoD involves greater exchanges up and down the pacific coast, you could possibly get potatoes that far north. Mind you, if the *Haida really have major ocean-going sailing vessels, they could get that far south, at least on exploration, fairly easily. If potatoes came AFTER the sailing ships, it's fairly easy.

Mind you, if they are picking up potatoes from the Chimu/Inca/whomever, wouldn't they pick up llama/alpaca? Be SO much more useful than those little wool-dogs. (I assume you know about wool-dogs).

I'd be very, VERY careful with interpreting some of that. Before contact, the Iroquois/Haudenosaunee used a tuber that was called "Indian Potato" (or something close, I forget the exact term). However the only 'potato'ness was that it was a whitish starchy tuber. IIRC, it had very low productivity and was quickly abandoned when better crops came along.

OTOH, if your PoD involves greater exchanges up and down the pacific coast, you could possibly get potatoes that far north. Mind you, if the *Haida really have major ocean-going sailing vessels, they could get that far south, at least on exploration, fairly easily. If potatoes came AFTER the sailing ships, it's fairly easy.

Mind you, if they are picking up potatoes from the Chimu/Inca/whomever, wouldn't they pick up llama/alpaca? Be SO much more useful than those little wool-dogs. (I assume you know about wool-dogs).

Hmm I'll look into the list of native plants again, all the lists I've been finding have the Long and Confusing scientific names as opposed to a picture and a simple name. I also shouldbe looking at other staple crops other then what we eat today like Indian Ricegrass which was popular amongst the natives. Though I want those staple crops. The only two ways they could have been transplanted there would be through land via trade over country which seems more credible to me then the sea route which would go through Haida or another group raiding.

Unless I went and pulled a Tarascan kind of migration (Prehistory South American group that moved up into Mexico by boats apparently) with a mesoamerican group migrating up the California coast and bringing maize with them. Though htat is even more of a stretch.

Well so far my second POD for the Haida and other Pacific Northwest groups will not be so soon. The key I am using to transform them into a society of a kingdom has to do with building up the Willamette culture first. I have seen once or twice (on the internet) the Haida sailed as far south as Mexico though I am not sure how credible that is and reaching as far as the Inca seems a stretch, and I would want those potatos to end up in the Willamete Valley because at this time the Haida don't give much for farming anyway.

Yea those Salish Dog-Sheep.

Last edited:
Very, very. Rough Timeline of my view of the Land of Salmon and Totem just prior to the invasion of the Columbia River basin area.

Alternativly I suppose I don't have to have the whole Civilization building and potatos ala Land of Red and Gold Yams, Its just in the goings of establishing a Haida Kingdom that is centralized and reasonably technologically advanced and socially organized with large urban populations capable of bouncing back from the plagues via organized agriculture.

1000-1500 AD- Willamette Cultural Period
-Through cultivation of native potato plants grown in the Willamette Valley area, the Kalapuya group of native americans grow into a agricultural society. Seperating the valley area into a northern, center, and southern grouping of city-states and tribal townships spread along the Willamette Valley. Only minor use of small religious mounds. Hierarchial structure is matrilineal and based on a tribal-meritocracy. Major urban centers include Chemeketa (Salem, Oregon) as the earliest controlling the traffic from the southern sections of the Willamette to the Columbia River, Umpqua the youngest known Urban Center and smallest, concentrating with trade with the Californian natives it would be the last bastion of the Willamette culture falling to Haida in a period between 1545 and 1564, and Tualatin (Portland area) becoming the most populous and wealthy in the late period of the Willamette Culture area in constant competition with the Chinook.

800AD Intensive Potato agriculture spreads from the center of the Willamette Valley outward north then south.

1000AD Chemketa is founded.
-Organized social structure appears.
-Basic crafts and arts, pottery, copper jewelery, stone carvings etc.

1100AD Date of the famous Cascade Head Cave Carvings

1180AD Tualatin is founded
-Beginning of rivalries
-Spread of organized agriculture amongst the Chinook.

1210 AD Chinook tribes establish a fierce trading chiefdom confederation in competition with Tualatin.
-Establishment of the Chinook culture along the Columbia river, Fishing Salmon oriented culture it is matrilineal. The cultural trait of flattening out the faces and heads of upper class tribe members spreads in fashion to Tualatin just as the potato and organized quilt, pottery, and quilt making spreads amongst the Chinook.

1275AD Date of first “Big Men” stone statues amongst the Willamette Valley Culture

1290AS Umpqua founded
-intensive trade with Californian natives americans, potatoes and Willamette Valley cultural crafts spread amongst the Shasta to the Yokuts along the Sacremento river to central California.

1300AD Beginning of the Little Ice Age
-The Little Ice Age will have global disastourus effects on northern hemispheric civilizations, in the Pacific Northwest the climate and weather will worsen gradually before a low point in the late 15th century sees a gradual warming in temerpatures.

-1300-1400AD The Withering: Drop of temperature and increasing cold conditions in the Pacific Northwest. Leads to a ecological freeze across northern North America. Inuit abandon the high artic and migrate southward and westward eventually reaching Greenland though the Thule culture in the west comes under threat of total collapse several times. Especially cold temperatures in the Alaskan coastal area leads to a freezing of many rivers that are spawning areas for the humpback or pink salmon leading to disruptions in its spawning cycle for generations resulting in a gradual decrease of population. This produces a ecological chain reaction that sees the collapse of seal, whale, and other marine and costal land animals that the high pacific northwest (Haida, Tlingit, Tsimshian) depend on the hardest but having various ranges of effect on other central pacific northwest native groups. In some cases this leads to a migration of whale, seal, otter, and other animals groups southward. Combined with harsh winters picking off land animals and land edible plants as well as freezing cold for the people this leads to tension between the various local groups.

1350AD Founding of the Totem Confederation
-Raids by Haida and Tlingit reach increasing southward, moving into the abundant areas of the Nookta and Puget Sound as well as the rich Columbia River mouth area.
-In the face of never before worse weather and food scarcity conditions the Haida, Tlingit, and Tsimshian tribes opt to work together more closer. A meeting is held in 1350 by members of each tribe, coming to a agreement that the land and sea have become either cursed or barren and will soon become to a point where their numbers (native and slave populations) can no longer support them. With Haida raiders bringing back work of plenty to the south, bringing word of the abundance of the Columbia River and the interior.
The place is far away, and the people are feeling hungry, thus it is agreed if the place and its food can not come to them then they will go to it. Though they can not pick up and go all at once to this place, and many do not want to fully abandon their ancestral lands. So it agreed that the tribes need to work together to decimate the competition and pick a suitable spot between their home land and islands and this abundant place.
-The meeting is commemorated with a Potlatch and the building of a twenty foot tall totem, the largest ever built to the date, as a symbol of the cooperation between the tribes. After this totem poles are built larger and taller in villages.
-Increasingly from here there is a intermingling between the Haida, Tlingit, and Tsishiman lineages.
-Concentrated Totem Confederation raids and village decimations sweep down the British Columbian coast attacking the Haisla, Bella Bella, Heiltsuk, destroying their own raiding capacity by killing their warriors in sea canoe combat and stealing or destroying their larger canoes. Raids go as far as Vancouver Island, which interests the Haida especially.

1355-1375AD The Totem Confederation invades the Nookta on Vancouver Island, headed aggressively by Haida warriors launching surprise attacks and raids. Sweeping down the western coast line and either enslaving, decimating, enforcing loyalty to the Totem, or forcing them off the island. Similarly the Costal Salish and Kwakitual are forced off the island as the Totem population moves southward onto the island. A few families from each tribe volunteer to stay behind and live off the conditions and represent their land rights and claims to their home islands.
-Vancouver is divided amongst the tribes and the living is plentiful as tribes of the Totem Confederation move into competition with other local groups for claiming fishing rights int he surrounding waters.

1375-1400AD The Quiletue and Costal Salish down the western Oregon coast are mostly forced to abandon the coastline to the Totem Confederation after a series of aggressive raids that are not followed through inland. The Columbia River mouth comes under yearly increasing raids by the Totem Confederation.

I did a map.

Yellow represents extent of Willamette Valley Culture,
Red represents extent of Chinook influence on the Columbia
Haida and their claimed territories
Tlingit and their claimed territories
Tsimshian and their territories
Kwakitutl under "protection" of the Totem Confederacy
and Everyone Else.
Black dots representing concentration of Totem (Haida driven) raids.

1400pnw.png

Blue dots represent northern Tulutain cultural urban centers. A higher dependence on Salmon then the other urban centers throughout the Willamette valley. In constant trade war with the Chinook on the Columbia

Pink represents the center Chemeketa cultural urban centers. The oldest and largest of the Willamette Valley area and most dependent on agriculture. The middlemen bewteen the north and south they are also at this time delving into copper and stone carving.

Brown represents the Umpqua cultural urban centers. The smallest and youngest of the urban centers in the Willamette Valley they are traders with the southern Oregon and Californian native american tribes.
willamettevalleyculture.png