Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

Just double checked the P&S timeline, the Warsaw Pact (precise nation unknown) seems due to shoot down another airliner over East Germany on the night of January 28-29. If I infer correctly, looks like that will be the spark that will kill the Geneva conference and get the powder keg towards war to start burning...

I find it weird someone proposing a moratorium on capital punishment on the eve of a major war.I mean someone would say once the bombs start falling law and order will be imposed with the hangmans noose.Of course all this talk about constitutional rights and whatever might be a way for some politicians to be in denial about what is really coming their way.

I think thats the kind of irony Chipperback is going for. Once the balloon starts going up and the fallout starts falling down, all those agreements with 'The Man' are going to go right out the window (assuming The Man even survives the warheads). The post-WW3 world will be the darkest age humanity has ever experienced thus far... something to make the Fall of Rome look like a toddler's playful romp in a sandbox by comparison.

And besides, if the crisis had blown over, The Man would have come out of it better then the governor. ;)

PS: Who is 'The Man'? I'm a Georgian who was born in 1990 (two months before Saddam invaded Kuwait, actually) and I am therefore rather ignorant about state politics of Nebreska in the mid-80's, so if he is an actual historical figure its kind of going over my head.

Last edited:
Well, you learn something new every day. I grew up in the Midwest (Northern Ohio) and never ran across that usage growing up, perhaps because there weren't too many Arkansans or Southerners around. So, I stand corrected, and I appreciate the explanation.

The dialogue reminded me of the way some of my college buddies (here in Michigan '79-'83) talked.

C'mon unknown, most people think calmer heads are going to prevail here. Lol

The unicameral -- yes, Gratton it is what we Nebraskans call our single house. For many in the state from business to legal to press it's pretty much the everyday language. In fact of you used to term "state legislature" some folks would look at you a little sideways.

Thanks; the term just hit me kind of, well, sideways.:D A very errie tale as I consider where I was at the time. Oh, and, if I may please make a request (as it's impossible in RL to request when things do or don't happen), please have the nukes fly after -not on or before- my birthday, which is February 13. Thank you. :)

" find it weird someone proposing a moratorium on capital punishment on the eve of a major war.

Cue Alanis Morisette -- "Isn't it ironic?"

Seriously, nobody knows that major war is coming, not just yet. Right now it is a lot of saber rattling..But that is about to change..

Last edited:
The governor at this time was Bob Kerrey. Hence the references to Vietnam and friends in the military (he is a candidate for the 1996 nomination in the Giant Sucking Sound TL).

The crap will hit the fan...soon.:(

An ironic song for this TL: "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" by The Beach Boys.

Last edited:
Land Of Flatwater: Goldenrod Planted.

01/29/1984 0135 CST :FLASH AP-URGENT FLASH-URGENT
ATHENS, GREECE (AP) -- GREEK AND U.S. FORCES ARE SEARCHING AN AREA ALONG THE GREEK-BULGARIAN BORDER FOR THE WRECKAGE OF AN AIRLINER . AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS AT THESSALONIKI MONITORED A DISTRESS CALL FROM A DUTCH KLM AIRLINER AT APPROXIMATELY 9:35 P.M. CENTRAL STANDARD TIME SATURDAY. THE FURTHER RADIO TRAFFIC INDICATED MILITARY VOICES OF NATO AND WARSAW PACT PILOTS. DEVELOPING.

01/29/1984 0308 CST :FLASH AP-URGENT FLASH-URGENT
MOSCOW (AP) -- THE SOVIET FOREIGN MINISTRY CLAIMS THAT BULGARIAN AND SOVIET FORCES HAVE FOUND THE WRECKAGE OF A U.S. SPY PLANE IN SOUTHERN BULGARIA. BULGARIAN GOVERNMENT SOURCES SAY THE U.S. SPY PLANE IGNORED HAILS FOR IDENTIFICATION BY BULGARIAN AIR FORCE PILOTS. "THE PILOTS HAD NO OTHER CHOICE THAN TO DEFEND OUR TERRITORIAL SOVEREIGNTY AGAINST U.S. AGGRESSION"

01/29/1984 0600 CST :FLASH AP-URGENT FLASH-URGENT
AMSTERDAM (AP) -- WORRIED FAMILY MEMBERS OF PASSENGERS OF A KLM FLIGHT FROM ISTANBUL, TURKEY ARE FLOODING SCHIPHOL AIRPORT AMID REPORTS THAT KLM FLIGHT 146, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE SHORTLY AFTER SUNRISE, IS MISSING.
AIRLINE SPOKESMEN HAVE NO SPECULATION AT THIS TIME, BUT DUTCH GOVERNMENT SOURCES FEAR THE FLIGHT'S DISAPPEARANCE MAY BE LINKED TO A PRE-DAWN INCIDENT BETWEEN WARSAW PACT AIR FORCES AND AN UNIDENTIFIED AIRCRAFT.
GREEK AND U.S. ARMY FORCES ARE SEARCHING FOR THE WRECKAGE NEAR THE JETS LAST KNOWN POSITION.

01/29/1984 0900 CST :FLASH AP-URGENT FLASH-URGENT

AMSTERDAM (AP) -- DUTCH PRIME MINISTER RUUD LUBBERS CONDEMNS THE SOVIET UNION FOR WHAT HE CALLED, "MID-AIR MURDER", HOLDING THE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DOWNING OF A KLM AIRLINER ON THE GREEK-BULGARIAN BORDER.
"WE HAVE RECEIVED INCONTROVERTIBLE EVIDENCE ON THE MATTER," THE PRIME MINISTER SAID. "FIRST THE KOREANS, NOW US. THE SOVIET UNION AGAIN HAS SHOWN THAT IT DOES NOT WISH TO BE A CIVILIZED NATION."
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE SOVIET CONSULATE, IN A STATEMENT, SAID, "WE STAND BEHIND THE REPORTS OF OUR FOREIGN MINISTRY. WE CATEGORICALLY DENY THE CHARGES PUT FORTH BY THE PRIME MINISTER. WE TOO MOURN FOR THE LOSS OF LIFE IN THIS TRAGEDY."

"Governor's mansion -- Sunday January 29, 1984 10:00a.m.

"This is a special report from CBS News..."
"Good morning, Charles Kuralt from CBS News in New York, we are standing by for a press briefing from the White House regarding the situation in Greece this morning, were rescue workers and Greek and U.S. Army forces are searching for the wreckage of KLM flight 146 that departed from Istanbul, Turkey earlier this morning enroute to Amsterdam, Netherlands. CBS White House Correspondent Bill Plante is standing by."

The Governor is watching from his bed, covered partly by a warm comforter and partly by a sexy brunette whose latest movie is doing pretty well.

The television picture switched the press room in the White House. Larry Speakes walked in flanked by Casper Weinberger.

The White House spokesman cleared his throat and then began.

"Earlier this morning, reports have come out on the disappearance of KLM Flight 146," Mr. Speakes began. "We send our prayer and condolences to the families of those lost. KLM Flight 146 crashed at approximately 10:35pm Eastern Standard Time, in an area along the border between Greece and Bulgaria."

"Around 4 a.m. Eastern Standard Time, the Soviet Foreign Ministry reported that Bulgarian air forces had downed what they termed was a "U.S. spy plane". That is untrue. We have evidence that shows that the plane was attacked by Soviet air force assets, and that attack was conducted in the airspace of a NATO country. Which is technically an act of war. I now turn the briefing over to defense secretary Weinberger."

Casper Weinberger set up a group of charts, showing the positions of the airliner and the positions of the "Bulgarian Air Force". And then Weinberger played a copy of the radio transmissions. They were somewhat mucky and garbed, but you could hear a panicked faint voice of a civilian airline pilot.

"Thank God, Americans! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Being fired upon by unknown aggressor...possibly Sovi---"

Only the "black box" on the plane to could the tell the full story, but Weinberger had enough circumstantial evidence for an American jury to convict the Soviets.

The actress turn from the TV back to the man she was draped over, "What is going on?"
"The mess just gets deeper," the Governor said. "What time is your flight, sweets."
"I have a later one...6pm out of Omaha, nonstop back to LAX," she replied. "Another week of publicity. We have to get to keep this Oscar buzz going."
He held her close. "You should be proud," he said. "Your in a movie that is in the driver's seat. You are about to take off."
She smiled. "Oh hush," she said. "You have a bigger job than me."
She gave him a worried look, "What does all this mean for you, especially if everybody goes off the deep end."
"I may not be around to see the deep end," the Governor said. "The Russian would probably target Lincoln."
The actress looked at her beau with even more worry. "You think it'll get that far?"
"I hope not," the Governor said soberly.

The Governor then got on the phone. One call was to the ANG Commander. The other was to his old friend, working Intelligence at Offutt.

The Governor's mind was meshing gears, even through the soft feel of a beautiful woman in his bed. On his mind was one word: "Goldenrod".

I-80 East towards Omaha 4:30pm

The Governor was driving the car with the actress and one of his detail in the back seat. Since he and the actress got serious late last summer, he always insisted on looking and being as normal as possible which means he drove her to the airport. Or more accurately, to a private hanger on the backside of Eppley Airfield, were a private jet from her studio would wisk her back to tinseltown.

"So when are you heading out to L.A.," she asked. "I need a date for the Oscars."
the Governor smiled tensely, "You already know I'm making that trip. It's big night for you and I have to be there."
She noticed the tension in his voice. "Bob, is there something wrong."
"No" he chuckled. "I'm just thinking...I'm starting to miss you, lady..and we haven't even gotten into the city yet."

Midwestern Aviation hangar -- Omaha

He held her close. Learjet in the distance with the stair doors down.
"I'll call you when I land in L.A.," she sweetly, "I had a great weekend with you, but I always do."
"Listen," he said. "I'm going to make some arrangements for you."
"Arrangements?"

"Yes, in case things get badly out of control."
"Now don't start that again, Bob. Its not going to get out of control."

The Governor strained to keep his voice down. "In case you didn't notice, the Russians used another airliner as a scout team. Things are already out of control. I just want you safe because..well I'm falling for you hard...and don't want to lose you even if the world comes to end."
She put a hand on his cheek. "We'll talk about this."

She kissed him for a long time. Her mind raced far away from Rodeo Drive. She didn't want to pull away, not at all. There is a difference between heroes on celluloid and heroes for real.

He saw her learjet taxi away into the night and then take off to the west. His security detail came up to him. "Sir, you driving back?"

"Actually, where going to dinner Frank," The Governor said. "Having dinner with an old friend of mine..and you remember."
Frank smiled, "I know sir, WHAT IS SAID HERE, WHAT IS DONE HERE. IT WILL STAY HERE, WHEN WE LEAVE HERE.

The Spaghetti Works -- Old Market 7:15pm January 29, 1984

The Governor sat his favorite booth, in the corner kind of away. This was his favorite Omaha spot. The dinner guest is a old buddy from 'Nam. A slender fellow who looked more like a professor than someone who was once a trained ice-cold killer. Today, he on loan from Naval Intelligence for the rebuilt Joint Strategic Planning Staff at Offutt.

Glenn, sit down...You remember Frank? Head of my security detail?

"Yes," Glenn said. "Former military, right?"

"Yes sir," Frank said. "Green Beret, out of Nha Trang, two tours."

"He's clean, Glenn." The Governor said. "If the balloon goes up, this is the guy I want in the foxhole."

Glenn cleaned his glasses, and then looked hard at both them, "Gentlemen, I fear 'IF" is not the word. The word is "WHEN"
Frank's face fell. So did the Governor's.
"Let me show you." Glenn said as he pulled out some pictures.
"I'm not supposed to show you what you are looking at," Glenn said. "The Bulgarians shot down KLM 146."
"That is not what the Administration is saying," the Governor said.
"The airliner crossed their airspace for 6 minutes," Glenn said. "It was a course correction due to wind. Now the Turks and Bulgarians have an agreement about this. They may not like each other, but they both tend to look the other way because of the flight paths. They give each other a little leeway as long as they don't linger or stay more than 5 minutes, unless there is an in-flight emergency. Its the way border countries between us and them have gotten along for 30 years. Unwritten rules kept in diplomatic channels."
"Now the rules have changed," Glenn continued, "Because the big players are on the field now. The Bulgarians panicked because now the Soviet advisors are watching."
"Excuse me," Frank asked. "Are you telling me, this is all a mistake."
"Not exactly, It's not like KAL 007," Glenn stated bluntly. "The difference is, we didn't have a plane in the area this time."
"What?" the Governor said.
"Yes, we had recon aircraft in the area hours before that 747 got there back in September," Glenn said. "But you didn't hear that. We run reconnaissance there all the time."
"But that isn't the way we play the game in Europe," Glenn went on. "We wouldn't use a damn RC-135 for that. We could get what we need from satellites...and from the Greeks and the Turks."
"But Bulgaria has a solid military structure," the Governor remembering the other briefs he's been getting from chums in the armed forces. "Wouldn't we watch them, too?"

"The cream of the Bulgarian corps have been forward deployed now," Glenn answered. "They are in Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and of course East Germany. They are setting up camp to press Austria and Italy,a nd back up the main Soviet shock armies in Germany.

"What about our forces over there," Frank asked. "We've been ramping up since Ronnie's been in charge."
"If this had happened one or two more years from now I wouldn't be nearly as worried. Our European forces would be Joe Louis by then." Glenn responded, "But right now, we're Tommie Hearns or Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler is waiting on the other side of the border."

"We have the technology and the weapons," Glenn looked at both of them. "The problem is were outnumbered and we aren't quite sure what doctrines they'll follow. Both sides are blind because nobody has scouting report on the other side. When you have that variable, numbers make a difference, and they have numbers on us."

Glenn gave the Governor the big story. Europe, Middle East, Asia. It all pointed to same locus: War.

"What about diplomacy," the Governor asked. "The Secretary of State is still in Geneva, right?"
He'll be recalled by the morning," Glenn said in a sorrowful tone. "And that's my biggest worry. We don't quite know who is in charge in Moscow."
Sure we do," the Governor shot back. "Andropov, remember that speech a couple of weeks back? Seems okay enough to say what he said."
"Andropov is dying," Glenn retorted. "That old man might be dead already for all we know. I guarantee that IF he ends up pushing that button, he'll be dead before the first American missile reaches Russian soil. Diplomacy isn't going to happen. We don't know who could be on the other end of the "hot line". We're under the impression that the Soviet military is running the country."

Glenn changed the subject between bites of spaghetti and a good pinot noir. "Speaking of running the country, sounds like you're trying to build your own country, Bob"
"I'm just running Nebraska the best way I know how," the Governor said.
"Oh bullshit," Glenn chuckled. "I know what you're doing. We went through counterinsurgency school remember, brother. C'mon Bob. Emergency management funding. How the hell did you get Ernie Chambers on board? I'll tell you how...because you are pulling the potential pains in the ass closer. Meeting with the surrounding National Guards? You aren't that slick, white bread.
"White bread". That the nickname Glenn gave the Governor back in SEAL training. Glenn was a tough Chicago kid who had seen combat, on the South Side. He befriended a shy kid from Lincoln, Nebraska who studied chemistry. The times changed them both.
"Glenn, I have no idea what you are talking about," the Governor tried to play it off.

Glenn wasn't buying any of it. "Look, Bob. I see what you're doing. Hell, I've been getting some my contacts together and I've been helping you."
"Oh really?"

"Yes," Glenn continued. "This is why you've been getting information. I've gotten some of the boys together to pass it along. You see, the plans for continuity are already underway."

"Continuity? As in C-CUBED-I?" Frank asked.

"Pretty sharp, Green Beret," Glenn said. "Exactly. That's the military track, and there is continuity of federal government. FEMA will carry the ball on that, problem is they want to consolidate it their way and they think the can do it quick and it'll be damn near impossible to do that in a short term scenario. It may impossible, period. The only hope they have strong continuous governments within the states."

Glenn pointed at his old friend. "You are one of the few that gets what the game is. You can't believe how much of this country is going to scrambling for a clue at zero hour, and FEMA will be right along with them. We have to keep the federal goof-ups out of your way as much as possible, Bob. I know you aren't trying to build a fiefdom. You are just doing what you were taught as a SEAL. Survive, Adapt, Overcome, and put yourself in a position to save your ass."

The rest of the dinner centered around what happens next and some memories of good times past. The Governor and his security man walked Glenn to his car. He took his own car, but he was heading back to the base.

"Glenn, I appreciate this," The Governor said, "But if the Air Force or Navy found out."
Glenn cut him off, "Bob, if that happens. I'll take my court martial like a man. I did what I had to do. Back in that LZ, you took a bad situation like a man, and you saved my life and lot of others doing it. Thanks to the Navy, I'm not dead in an alley in the ghetto. I've paid the Navy back. Thanks to you, White Bread, I'm not dead in some damn rice paddy in Vietnam. This is how I'm paying you back."

The two men hugged and parted ways.

Monday January 30, 1984
"Commander, Good Morning."
"Good morning, Governor. Have a good weekend."

"It was a good weekend. Very good. All except for the mess in Greece or is it Bulgaria"
"I hear the President will have an address on it today."

"Commander...Initiate Goldenrod."
The Commander paused. It was a word he didn't expect to hear.
"Confirm Governor..." The Commander queried.

"You heard me," the Governor said. "Goldenrod."
The Commander sat up stiffly, "Yes sir!"

to be continued.

Last edited:
The actress is Debra Winger, I'm guessing, who Kerrey was dating during this period (he'd been divorced since 1979).)

Kerrey said that she swept him off his foot (he lost the other one below the knee in Vietnam in 1969, and he won the Medal of Honor in 1970).

He is an...interesting guy, Chipperback.

At least his state will be more prepared than others (though he probably knows the other old saying: "Plans don't survive first contact with the enemy." (1))

(1) The enemy in this case being the nuclear war that is coming, IMO.

How far do you plan on taking this?

I just thought of something else.

Grand Island had a series of tornadoes in 1980 (the basis of the book Night of the Twisters). That will probably figure into their plans somewhat.

I'm going to go as far as Macragge, Patton and Mario go on the TL. As far as the Governor and the Actress? Who knows.

But since I have nice day off work..I'm going to go buy a nice bottle of wine, and do some writing.

The alternative version of the Governor pales compared to the real guy lol. Governor and later Senator Kerrey is quite interesting person. He is a living example of the phrase "Still water runs deep".

Grand Island got hit very hard in '80. So did Omaha that year (thought not as bad as '75, when Mother Nature just went bonkers on Omaha. Blizzard in January, Major tornado that spring.)

The bulk of the mindset behind the planning comes from a mix of the Governor's war experience and just prairie plainsman thinking. When you see a storm coming, you take heed of it.

""Plans don't survive first contact with the enemy."

You think Nebraska gets hit by that? It'll be nothing compared to what goes down in Germany :eek:

Who is 'The Man'? I'm a Georgian who was born in 1990 (two months before Saddam invaded Kuwait, actually) and I am therefore rather ignorant about state politics of Nebreska in the mid-80's, so if he is an actual historical figure its kind of going over my head.

Nobody wants to explain a little inside info too the uninformed. :(

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS. You come in here set up cute pre-teen romance. You make me genuinely like these characters. Then you're going to kill them. Please stop for the love of God stop.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS. You come in here set up cute pre-teen romance. You make me genuinely like these characters. Then you're going to kill them. Please stop for the love of God stop.

If he's anything like George R R Martin your pleas may fall on deaf ears...please try not to throw your monitor across the room.

"The Man"

Obsessed whats to know who "The Man" is. Well, I know "The Man" in OTL

"The Man" is named Ernie Chambers. Until he was term limited out in 2006, he was my state senator growing up in Nebraska. He was one of the longest serving member of the Nebraska Unicameral, and the state's second African-American to serve in its legislative body.

To his supporters he was an uncompromising, radical defender of his district and often brought important, if controversial issues to the fore. He was a wildcat fighter for human rights, workers' right peace and justice. For sports fan he was among to first to say that collegiate athletes should be paid, and even tried to introduce legislation towards that.

To his detractors, he was a radical, mouthy, race-bating, arrogant SOB who put out a lawsuit on God.

The truth is somewhere in between. I see him very much like Tony Benn, except Chamber is a committed atheist.

ITTL, he is at the point where he is beginning to really gain a lot of power. he's already proven to be an able legislator and know how to play the parliamentary game very well. An Ernie Chambers filibuster is like a postmodern ballet. A little frustrating to figure out, but beautiful to watch.

Would you like to know more?
A feature on The Man, by Nebraska Educational Television.
A lecture by Ernie Chambers for the Nebraska Historical Society.

Protect & Survive and its "daughters" made me read up on Germany's preparations for the big one, and now I'm probably even more depressed than I was when I entered and read through your excellent thread, Chipperback.

Thanks; the term just hit me kind of, well, sideways.:D A very errie tale as I consider where I was at the time. Oh, and, if I may please make a request (as it's impossible in RL to request when things do or don't happen), please have the nukes fly after -not on or before- my birthday, which is February 13. Thank you. :)

The nukes fly on February 21st, 1984.

I get the feeling that some of the characters will die, but not all.

At least Kerrey is trying to get his state prepared.

Land Of Flatwater: The Address of President Ronald Reagan -- January 30, 1984

My Fellow Americans,

I come to you tonight in mournful prayer for the families of the passengers of KLM Flight 146. The flight was shot down by elements of Warsaw Pact air forces under the direction of the Soviet Union.

The entire free world is shocked and saddened by this turn of events, which began Sunday morning and ended with the loss of 262 lives. Innocent men, women and children lost, amid political and military aggression of adversaries to human freedom.

For the second time in five months, the Soviet Union, and their client states of the Warsaw Pact have committed an aggressive act against civilian transport in a gross violation of international law. In my mind, and in the minds of all free peoples around the world, it is a further sign of the willingness of the Communist alliance led by the Soviet Union to do whatever they feel to advance their aims.

We in the free world have two choices. We can stand by, perhaps protest strongly, but ultimately not act against the aggression or we can choose to stand up and stand for human rights and human freedom. The United States has stood up and will continue to stand up for human rights and human freedom.

The United States does not start fights. We have never believed in the use of aggression, especially against non-combatants.

My message to the Soviet Union tonight is clear. The United States will not be intimidated. The free world will not stand by. We will stand up.

My fellow Americans, the alert status of our armed forces has been at a hightened state for months. In recent weeks we have deployed more troops, sailors and airmen than at any time since our committment in Vietnam. Those deployments will be accelerated in the days ahead. As of 6:00 am Eastern Standard Time tomorrow morning the Selective Service System will be activated. All men at least 20 years age are now eligible for activation into our nation's armed services. I do this in order to enhance our national readiness.

We do not seek war. We are willing to talk peace. We were willing to try to negotiate a working peace in Geneva through the efforts of our Secretary of State George Schultz. The Soviet Union, and their foreign minister Andrei Gromyko, by word and deed gave us an answer: NYET

NYET.

Our response is as follows. We want peace. We want to co-exist, but peace at any price? NO.

NO.

I extend a personal invitation to General Secretary Andropov, to work together to find our way out of the situation we are in. I extend a personal hope that we can pull back from the brink. We must pull back from the brink. The price of not doing so is very high for the world.

However we will not pay for peace with our freedom. That is sacred and is not open to negotiation. The same way the others behind the Iron Curtain clamor for freedom. The way students in East Germany seek freedom and seek human rights. We will not seek peace by the sacrifice of their calls for freedom.

The course we are on is dangerous. Each unit deployed, each sortie flown, each ship that heads out to sea represents citizenry of and families of our nation called to make a sacrifice for the freedoms we hold dear. I see the course soberly, but I also see with clarity that we must follow this course, even as we work to find peaceful solutions. To do anything less would be a gross betrayal to what our nation stands for and to free peoples around the world.

Tonight I ask you all to pray for our brave servicemen and women as they carry out their duties, and I ask that we all pray for a peaceful way out. But, let us also never forget that we are the land of the free, because we are the home of the brave.

Thank you for sharing your time with me. God Bless you all, and goodnight :)

Last edited: