Lancashire Life: An account of The Great Patriotic War

Amazing, a truly amazing story. As a current Blackpool and former Manchester resident I can see in vivid technicolor the images you are portraying. And Ironically today I took my son also named John too Central Pier but alas no U.S Navy warships from Fleetwood were in sight :). Thank you for providing us with one of the best timeliness on this sight and I eagerly await its no doubt masterfully written conclusion.

So, you visited the 'scene of the crime' in person! That's brilliant! Its been a good few years since I've been able to get up to Blackpool. I chose this particular town because it has strong memories for me of an family day out for Lancashire folk. I wasn't around in the 1950s, but OTL 1957 it would have been a place of thrills and excitement for any average working class ten year old boy. John's day out with his mother, the day before the horror on the pier, tried to capture a little of what life should have been like for that family.

I really appreciate the compliments you have given me! Cheers!
Nick

PS about 13 posts to go.

The Commander

He looked back towards the source of the gunshot that came from the pier, his stomach lurching, instant beads of sweat forming upon his forehead.

Agent Connor, and the army unit sergeant in turn, had stopped in their tracks before walking swiftly back to look expectantly at the Commander, bracing themselves for a volley of orders.

He seemed about to speak, his face screwing up into a clenched mask of anguish, before finally exhaling a deep breath, putting his hands to his forehead and sliding them down his face to his chin, looking up at the sky for guidance. Finally:

“Sergeant, get your men at the ready. No one moves except on my specific instructions. We continue to wait.”

The Commander was a man in turmoil. Every fibre of his instincts wanted himself and his men on that pier; wanted to bring this sorry saga to an end through force of arms. Only his knowledge of the value of the boy stayed his hand. Only his knowledge that nothing could be done to risk the boy’s life, and that he must trust in McKendry, prevented him from making the move he wanted to.

He again watched and waited, and he again mused over the information that McKendry had given him the day before.

Six months ago McKendry had travelled back to Germany and had spoken with Johan Weber. The conversation that had confirmed that the letter had been correct.

McKendry had found the witness.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..........................................................................................................................

Johan And McKendry - The Meeting

Johan held on tightly to his mother and father. There were no words; no movement. There were only tears and the warmth of embracing love.

He didn’t want the moment to end. He felt as if his whole being were being washed clean from all of the filth he had seen and experienced during his nightmare five month journey through hell to be back to the only place that he felt safe; to be back home.

Long moments passed before they helped each other to their feet; father and son holding each arm of the mother as they gently led her into the living areas of the house.

In the shadows of a group of trees, facing the house from across the street, McKendry pulled his hand from his pocket and pulled his trilby hat closer to his head, before pulling up his coat collar, against the cold wind. He had watched the family in the hallway of the house, holding each other, for a few moments, before pushing himself away from the post he had been leaning on, and walking back into the centre of town. He would give John Weber a little time to reunite with his family before speaking with him.

..........​

It was January 1957, when McKendry had arrived back in Germania, and it didn’t take him very long to discover that Major Karl Schulz was dead.

He'd planed to pose as an official from the Reichskommissaiat Ukraine, and had intended a routine inquiry with Shultz before extracting information, or perhaps extracting the Major himself, once a professional trust had been established. Instead, he had been greeted by the grieving widow and he had easily gained entrance to the house.

McKendry discovered quickly enough that the Major had shot himself the previous June. He had been diagnosed with stomach cancer and the widow had confirmed with him that her husband had sunk into a deep depression in the weeks leading up to the fateful day. McKendry, now in the guise of an investigating official, looking into the widows pension entitlement, due to the nature of his death, soon found that she was willing to reveal as much as she possibly could remember, once she thought the money was at stake. The Major had indeed travelled close to the border with neutral Switzerland shortly before his suicide, presumably to meet with a contact that ensured his letter would make it to the US. Further pressing had eventually led to the name Johan Weber as Mrs Shultz unhappily spoke about how her husband had seemed to become preoccupied by the young man, (a former neighbour in the village) even waking up from a sweat drenched sleep and shouting his name in the dead of night. She didn’t know what the connection was between them, and her husband would refuse to discuss anything to do with Johan with her, other than to confirm that Weber used to work with him in Occupied Britain, but that he had been transferred to the Eastern Front and subsequently placed in a prisoner of war camp.

McKendry bade the woman good day and walked back into the village. This was yet again beginning to look like another wild goose chase; another dead end. If Weber was even still alive, how in God’s name was he to access a Russian run prison camp to the East?

He soon located Johan's family home, and there, just days after his interview with the widow, endured the uncomfortable task, this time as a Wehrmacht Chaplain, of questioning the parents of a young man who truly believed their son was dead. He could get no further information from them; his only contribution being to leave them with a vague hope that their son may yet still live.

The Germans had always been diligent and conscientious when it came to the record keeping and paper trail audits that weaved its way through the States huge and cumbersome bureaucracy, and McKendry had, not without some difficulty and dangerous circumstances, been able to locate the records of Weber. They were few and scant following his capture in 1950, just Russian documents that confirmed several times each year up to 1957 that his name had been offered up for release, but had been vetoed on each occasion by Shultz himself. McKendry pondered the Majors reasoning for his actions as he worked his way through the paperwork. Shultz had all but condemned Weber to death by ensuring that he remained in the camp, but had held back the giving of an actual order; something deep inside of him that prevented the action that he must have surely wanted to do. He continued to work methodically through the stolen files, until at last it was there – a glimmer of hope! A release authorisation signed by Schulz’s successor just a few months earlier, and more, a statement that accounted Weber’s escape from his unit as they travelled back to the front line. He was regarded as a traitor and was to be arrested on sight.

McKendry could do nothing but wait. Weber had been alive until recently, and there was every reason to believe that following his escape he had gone into hiding or was travelling slowly but surely back to his home. The patient agent used his instincts and waited.

............​

Just two days had passed since that cold February morning when he had witnessed Johan’s emotional homecoming, and James McKendry was seated on the comfortable settee, gun drawn and casually pointed at the startled and tired face of the returning soldier.

As far as Johan Weber was concerned, he was being questioned by a Gestapo operative. His initial fear and panic that he would be arrested and shot, or worse – taken to a prison, on account of his desertion was soon placated by the calm nature of the man who questioned him; a man who was not at all interested in his escape.

Only when the questions moved back to the period of time he was stationed in Britain did the fear come back into Weber’s heart.

“You were stationed in Occupied Britain in 1947, yes?” said McKendry
“Yes, sir” said the former solider.
“As a part of the catering arrangements for the then Reichs Protector, now our Fuhrer, Reinhardt Heydrich?”
“Yes sir” came the nervous reply.
“And you were dating a young English woman whilst you were there, weren’t you?”

Johan paled, but stared definitely into the face of his interrogator:

“I refuse to answer any more questions! I don’t care what you do!”

“I will kill you Johan…”

“Go ahead” he interrupted, “I have been through hell and back, sir! Death would be a merciful release for me!”

“And your parents? You want them dead as well? When they return from the market, I will bring them to this room and I will kill them before your eyes, if you do not cooperate with me! Is that what you want?”

Johan said nothing.

“Do I make myself clear, Weber? Do you understand me?”

Again silence.

McKendry studied the man’s face for long moments. His flesh was a myriad of bruises and healed wounds. His cheeks were hollow and pallid and his eyes stared back at him without the hint of a spark; without the hint of life. Weber was 31 years old, but looked more to be in his mid-sixties. What had this man been through? Was he so eager to embrace death? Did life really mean that little to him? Would the man rather die than talk?

It would appear so.

“You don’t like the Nazis very much do you Johan?”

It was an unexpected question and it caused the solider to suddenly avert his defiant eyes away from his questioners face and to the floor.

McKendry followed up the opportunity:

“Johan. I’m going to put my gun away. Look…watch…now listen to me, and listen carefully. Are you aware that Major Schulz is dead?”

Johan looked back at the agent, again startled by the turn of the questioning:

“Major?....Captain Schulze, you…..what happened?”

“He shot himself Johan. It seems he didn’t like the Nazis too much either. He didn’t like them to such an extent that he passed on certain information; information that could damage them, and that information came to me.”

He paused, and waited.

Johan, eyes wide, continued to stare, confused, at the agent.

“You see, Johan, the information that he passed onto me concerned you and something that you overheard. You told Schulz what you had overheard, didn’t you?”

“Who are you?” came the man’s quiet but defiant answer.

“What does the term ‘Blut Spenden’ mean to you?”

He watched Johan closely and observed the alarmed recognition in his eyes at the mention of the code words. ‘Blut Spenden’ was a phrase that no one, expect in the highest echelons of Nazi Germany would ever connect to Heydrich and Blome. Johan Weber had no business being aware of the significance of the phrase. The two men looked at each other, and in that moment as their eyes locked, both men knew that they shared a common understanding.

“Who are you!” louder, this time, as he began to rise to his feet.

McKendry immediately pushed the man back down to his seated position, and held a firm hand at his chest. He’d made up his mind; he would take the risk and spoke in English for the first time:

“My name is not important, Johan, but what I do is. I work for the Government of the United States of America and I’m here to help.”

Johan continued to stare at the American, with incredulity in his eyes:

“I don’t fucking believe you!” he half laughed, half shouted back, in English, at the calm and reassuring face holding his gaze

McKendry released his hand from Johan’s body and sat back into his own chair, his eyes never leaving those of the beaten and broken man before him:

“I don’t care if you believe me or not, but you will listen to me now. We received a letter from Schulz. He wrote the letter before he killed himself with his own gun. He wanted to make a difference before he died, Weber. Do you see? He wanted to put things right between you and him. His letter told us that you had gone into his office and told him that you overheard Heydrich and Blome talking about Heydrich’s plan – what he called his 'insurance plan'. Schulz made the decision to keep this information to himself for years. He had you sent away; to the front and never once acted upon what you had told him, until, that is, few months ago.”

Johan didn’t want to speak; didn’t want to engage with this Gestapo agent who was obviously trying to prise whatever information he could out of him, but he could not stop himself from asking the question that he needed to:

“Why did he shoot himself?”
“He was diagnosed with stomach cancer. He knew he was dying and maybe he wanted to make his peace with God as well as with you?”
“Was he the one who made sure I was never released from the Russian camp? Was I only released after he had died.”
“No” immediately lied the agent, “Shultz did everything in his power to get you out of there, but he was overruled. He tried his best for you Johan.”

The returning solider bowed his head once more. He no longer wanted to look at this calm and assured man who had entered his home:

“What do you want from me? What is all this about?”

“There was an addendum to his letter. Just something that he had written without probably understanding the consequences.”

Johan looked back up:

“What was it? What do you mean?”

“He said that you told him that Heydrich raped and impregnated your girlfriend, Johan.”

Both men looked up at the same time, as they heard the rumble of a military truck pull up into the quiet street outside of the house.

Last edited:
Johan and McKendry –the Valedictory

McKendry roughly grabbed Johans collar and half dragged him into the rear kitchen, a room that faced out onto a small back garden, away from the window that looked onto the open street, where the truck had come to standstill.

“Keep out of sight!” he whispered into the man’s ear, as he moved back towards the passage to the living room, pressing his head against the doorway to cautiously check through the window.

A Corporal had disembarked from the passenger side of the truck and appeared to be checking paperwork on a clip board. McKendry’s heart sank as the corporal made just a few strides to the front door, and the small house echoed with the harsh noise of three loud raps on the door.

He had no time left.

Striding quickly back into the kitchen:

“There’s only one small truck. It can’t contain many soldiers and those are still inside. We can get out through the rear garden and over the wall…”
“You brought them!” shouted Johan, “you brought them here, you bastard!”
“No! Keep your dam voice down! They might go away if they think no-one is home! I didn’t bring them! I’m telling you the truth, and we’re running out of time!”

It was Johan’s turns to grab the other one by the lapels as he yanked him close to himself, their faces inches from each other:

“The truth! Why are you really here? I’m going nowhere and telling you nothing if I think you are lying to me.”

McKendry did not struggle, and let the man hold him firmly in place. “There’s no time for this. We need to go now!” he said calmly.

“The truth, sir!”

Another set of three raps at the door. In his peripheral vision, McKendry could see the shadow of the solider outside move in front of the window and press his shielded eyes close the glass. The gloom inside the house would serve them some protection, as the Corporals vision would not reach to the kitchen. But now it was only a matter of time.

Looking straight into the eyes of the untrusting deserter, who still held him firmly, he began to speak quickly:

“Johan, listen carefully to me. Blut Spenden, or what we call the Red Death in my country has killed hundreds of thousands of people in the most horrific way possible, including my family. Schulz told us some information about what you had heard Heydrich and Blome planning. It was Heydrich’s insurance plan that I think eventually forced Schulz’s hand; he couldn’t bring himself to be a part of that. But that’s not why I am here. There’s nothing I or my country can do about that Johan. I’m here only for your girlfriend and her child….”

“Why” he said, “what does this matter to Blut Spenden?”

A third set of bangs at the door, this time accompanied by harsh shouting from the street. McKendry could not hear what was being said, but the tone gave every indication that orders were being shouted. He heard the clatter of boots on concrete as soldiers jumped from the rear of the truck.

They know we are in here. He had run out of options.

“Heydrich himself! He is immune from the disease, and he carries an antidote. We believe that all of his offspring also carry the same miracle in their blood, Johan! If Heydrich has fathered a baby on some poor girl in Britain, then it may be that this child holds the future of us all within its blood! Not only for my country Johan, but for the whole world!”

He glared at the deserter:

“Did Heydrich rape your girl friend?”

Johan stared back into his face.

“Come with me now or give me her name!”

The beaten, tormented soul scrutinized his face.

Desperation: “Please Johan!”

“I wanted to kill the Protector, Heydrich, for what he had done to her. Wanted him punished…..”

“I know you did. Any man would, but you can get back at him, can help destroy him by giving me her name and whereabouts now.”

“You won’t hurt them?”

“Of course not! No one will hurt them. Their value is huge.”

A kick at the door.

“Johan, please!”

“If you find her, tell her that I have never stopped loving her. I will always love her and the child no matter what.”

“I give you my word!”

Johan pulled open the unlocked back door, and pushed McKendry into the doorway:

“Her name was Sheila. Sheila Morris. She is around 34 years of age now. Living in Slough in German occupied Britain, however, she originated from somewhere in the north of the country. I cannot remember what the town is called.”

The agent half hugged, half grabbed Johan’s arm to pull him towards the door:

“Thank you Johan. Thank you. Now please, there is still time. Come with me, we can both make it into the woods…”

He smiled at the American for the first time and looked down at his thin and emaciated body:

“My legs are wasted my friend. I cannot run even if I tried. But you - you must go. Go now, and I will try to stall them.”

Another kick to the door behind them, as he pulled his arm free from McKendry’s grasp and continued:

“The child will be ten years of age now? I promised her I would protect her and the child. I said I would be the father to it. I am truly sorry that did not happen.”

“Come with me!”

“I don’t believe we will meet again sir. Please find them and please protect them.”

He roughly pushed McKendry out of the back door and turned the key to lock it. As the agent ran the few steps across the small garden and clambered up the ivy ridden wall, he caught a glimpse of Johan walking into the living room and closing the kitchen door behind him, just as the front door came off its hinges.

McKendry ran, and wept into the cold drizzle that soaked his face.

He hadn’t shed a tear since the death of his family. Then the tears were for the aching empty loss that grief had tortured his soul with.

The tears this time were wholly different. He wept for honour, love and self-sacrifice.

He had never met a more braver man.

Last edited:
McKendry

“You have lost priest!”

The woman was grinning as she held the knife to the boy’s throat, pressing its point into his skin so that it stretched inwards, to such an extent, it appeared ready to pop and split at any moment. The boy’s upper body was soaked in blood, and she was smearing the blood onto her face, licking her fingers in ecstasy as she repeatedly brought her bloodied hand to her mouth.

The boy was still.

McKendry, in hopeless horror and fear, instinctively raised his arms into the air, the gun pointing upwards:

“Maria…”

“I’m so happy that you know my name, Mr James McKendry”, she interrupted, “I’m sure that you will be happy on some level that it appears you will survive this day, but alas you will be distraught no doubt to know that your mission has failed.! Now put your gun on the floor!”

“Is he alive?” he replied quietly, whilst lowering his gun gradually to the floor, making no sudden movements that could cause a reaction in the woman. As he slowly bent his body downwards, he perceived the movement to his right. He did not need to turn his head; he knew it was Sheila, and in a fraction of a second was able to make the briefest of eye contact with her. He hoped that she knew to stay hidden; hoped that she realised the danger.

“Please keep lowering your gun priest - he is alive! It would seem my aim is a little off, as my last bullet hit him here in the shoulder” she indicated to the bloodied wound with her bloodied hand. “But I think you know he lives, yes? I think you would have shot me instantly had you thought he was dead? Now kick the gun away!”

McKendry did not answer as the gun reached the floor. He kicked it away from himself. A tactic he had used before – make it appear that the weapon was out of reach, but only kick it far enough to be able to dive and retrieve it at a moment’s notice.

“What is the matter priest? Not want to talk?” she pouted, before laughing again:

“No, he lives, but for not much longer. I am going to slice his throat and you are going to watch me. It is only because you came around the corner and interrupted me that he isn’t dead already! God, it seems, has given me this golden moment to be able to watch your eyes as the boy dies! And when he does die, you will no doubt jump on me and beat me to death, won’t you? Well, I am not ready to go just yet! I’d like to speak to you before I go. I’d like to tell you how much your failure has meant to me!”

McKendry stood and listened impassively. His eyes searched the boy’s face as much as he was able to focus. He looked pale; he looked dead. He focussed in on the bullet wound and as her hand rubbed the blood free, he could see that it was immediately replaced by a small trickle of blood oozing its way out of the wound. The agent did not show his relief and his face remained impassive, as he realised that the boys heart was still pumping the life giving fluid around his body. John lived, but he was losing blood fast. McKendry had to think fast.

Maria continued:

“All this trouble over a little blood, Mr McKendry! You know, I thought it might taste differently than ordinary blood! But, sadly, it doesn’t. On don’t look at me like that! And don’t even try to deny it! I know exactly why you were so interested in this boy and his family! I only had to look upon his face for myself to know the truth!”

In his peripheral vision, he could see the mother, Sheila, hiding closely behind the wall. She had crept forward, and surely must have seen the horror in front of her eyes, but now she had pressed her back against the wall, the gun she held, grasped by both trembling hands, pointing upwards. McKendry knew that she was terrified. What did he expect her to do? Even he, at that distance, would have hesitated to take the shot. Would Sheila dare take the risk, knowing that her son may well die, but by her own hand? He also realised that she could hear every word that Maria spoke.

She was still speaking:

“And what a beautiful boy he is! Just like his father, yes? You see, before I slice his throat open, I want you to know that I know. Oh yes, your mission in Germany trying to find living relatives of the Fuhrer and causing untold problems for us is in fact - your downfall.”

She was grinning from ear to ear:

“Your arrogance in insisting that you be the one to try to locate young John here is what has given you away! Had it been any other agent, I may not have understood the significance and probably would not have made the connection. So you see Mr McKendry, it is your arrogant clumsiness that will cause this boy’s death.”

He spoke at last, panic beginning to get the better of him:

“John is innocent Maria, look just please….”
“Oh shut up! You’re pathetic! Not what I imagined at all! Nobody is innocent in this world, Dummkopf! Do you think young Brian was innocent when he tried to kill you?

McKendry spoke up again as he watched the point of the blade pushing against the soft skin of the boys neck, “All of this must come to end Maria. It has to stop now. Please let the boy go, and I promise you, you will not be harmed.”

He lied, and she knew it:

Schweigen! Don’t insult my intelligence you stupid fucking Jew! Now, we were talking about Brian, little Johns brother. Young Brian, who I tortured to death, had lots to say to me before the end, and so it seems that the whore, Sheila, had a sweetheart named Johan, eh? Tell me Mr McKendry, did you go to see Johan? Did you get some information from him that led you back here to the slut? Is that the fact of the matter?”

McKendry knew that there was no point in lying; no point in trying to play mind games with this woman. The only thing he could do was keep her attention focused on him; to try to distract her for one crucial moment. Just one moment was all he needed:

“Yes, Maria, I travelled to Germany and I questioned Johan.”
“Why? What led you there?” she was intrigued.
“We had a tip off. Your country, Maria, is riddled with traitors. Full of people who want to see your mentally ill Fuhrer swing from a rope.”

She glowered back at the American:

“You are more stupid that I thought if you think you can irritate me with your words! And what did Johan tell you, priest? Did our beloved Fuhrer have a moment of weakness? Is that it? Did the whore Sheila, die Schlampe,spread her legs open wide for him and guide him inside her stinking womb?”

She was laughing now:

“There is no accounting for taste, I suppose. Why a great and handsome man like Heydrich would choose to lie with a whore like Sheila, I will never know!”
“The difference between you and Sheila is that Sheila is a blameless and decent woman, whereby you, on the other hand, are simply a jealous and bitter woman. Did you want Heydrich for yourself….”
“Be careful priest!” she hissed.

He’d hit a nerve:

“Did he reject you? Is that it?”

The spiteful hate that her stare directed towards him was enough to tell him that he was indeed onto something. He had distracted her with her own venom.

“The truth is you’re just a jealous ugly bitch Maria. Heydrich would rather rape a defenceless young woman than have sex with a hideous dried up sack of shit like you!”

She moved the knife away from the boy’s neck and pointed it at the agent, screaming:

“Ich werde sein verdammtes Herz essen….!”

This was the moment. Every muscle in his body had tensed itself ready for the dive, twist and shoot. He had calculated that he could take the shot from the ground at that distance and would pierce her head with a bullet at the same moment her hand began the slicing movement. It would take him just a few seconds and he prayed that his element of surprise would win the day. He hoped that Sheila had realised what he was about to do, and would remain still.

He was already moving as the knife pointed towards him and the bile came from her mouth.

Landing in a crash on the wooden floor, he felt the rip across his chest as the stitching on his gunshot wound ripped open and the searing pain shot through his upper body, into his neck, landing like pincer movements into both sides of his head. His left arm involuntarily grabbed at his chest as his right continued with the momentum of the dive and reached for the gun, without the need to look for it. His fingers grabbed air, as he swivelled his head at that moment and saw the gun lying just centimetres from his grasp.

It was too late. He had failed.

He looked up from his sprawled position even as he shifted himself forward to cover the precious distance and saw her face. A face that quickly turned from shocked fear to hideous triumph. The knife was back in position pressed at Johns neck, and she smiled as her fingers tensed to make the move.

The shot rang out as the gulls again screamed their protest and took flight from the pier buildings roofs.

McKendry grabbed his gun even as he saw the black hole appear in the side of the evil woman’s face, shattering her right cheek bone inwards , causing her nose to explode into blood and cartilage and the skin on the centre of her face to be ripped from her skull. He aimed as he saw her body jolt backwards against the rail, the knife in her hand dropping into the boys lap, and John slipping from her grasp to lie backwards, his head coming to rest against Marias breast in a mocking macabre pose of mother and son.

The agent checked his gun and pulled it quickly back towards him. He was still lying on the floor, and swivelled his head back to look behind him. Sheila, a face of wretchedness, remained kneeling in her firing potion, the gun still pointing towards the woman, as her eyes glazed over McKendry to look beyond his position.

Tears were streaming down her face as she pushed herself to her feet, gun clattering to the floor, before rushing across the open space, landing in a heap next to her son, pushing the body of Maria away from her.

McKendry was soon by her side, ripping open the boys shirt to examine the entry wound in his shoulder. John moaned as he pulled his body into a sitting position to look at his back and the agent breathed a sigh of relief as he saw no exit wound from the bullet. The blood loss was controllable. He unceremoniously pulled the loose shawl that Sheila had been wearing, from her shoulders and pressed it firmly into John's wound, grabbing the mothers hand and instructing her to hold it in place. His jacket was off in seconds as he wrapped it tightly around the unconscious boy, whilst he pressed his fingers against John’s neck to check his pulse rate.

“Sheila!” he shouted at her ashen face as she held the shawl against her sons shoulder whilst cradling his head in her other arm. She looked at him with a face of utter exhaustion and despair.

“Sheila, I need to run back to the main street to get a medic. We need to get John to a hospital quickly! Keep the compression firm! I will be back in minutes!”

“Is it over now, Mr McKendry?”

“It’s over now. John is safe, and when we have some more time, I swear I will tell you everything; what all of this has been about.”

He stood to leave.

“I heard what she said. Did you see Johan sir? Did you speak to him?”

“I did Sheila. I did, and I have a message for you that he asked me to deliver personally. He said he never stopped loving you. And that he will always love you and the child.”

“Is he alive” came her last sobbed question directed against the back of the man as he began to swiftly move away from her.

McKendry set off at a run back down the pier towards the awaiting soldiers, shouting “Medic! Medic! I need help here!”. He feigned that he had not heard Sheila’s last question. How could he answer that? He needed to sit down and talk it through when they were both in a more secure place.

Behind him, a mother held her child and wept. Her shoulders shook from the exertion as the emotional fatigue swept over her, the images of her son Brian sweeping across her vision, and those of Johan, her first love, smiling at her reassuringly; the face of John laughing and giggling as he played with her on the beach.

Sheila held her son tightly and prayed a million thank-you prayers to God that John lived and that her nightmare was finally over.

And the gulls screamed out above, and the waves crashed against the pier.

10 more posts to go Jack, including 4 epilogues.

Eichmann :evilupset:
McKendry
epilogue
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
the letter transcript :eek:
epilogue
epilogue
epilogue ;)

The Evil that Men do Lives on After Them

Eichmann shaved himself in the bathroom mirror, at the same time as a man known only to him as the ‘priest’ was bashing the head of a local British born police officer against the railings of his cell.

He gazed at his own face and thought how much older he was looking. As Reich Protector of Great Britain for the last nine years, he had endured what most men would struggle with. Endless parties and receptions; tours around various parts of the country; photo opportunities with the British Nazi newspaper, The Daily Mail; shaking hands with this, that and the other. He would slouch into the early hours at Windsor, watching movies on the new television in the company of specially selected woman who would cater for his needs. As the years went by, and the weight piled on to his obscene frame, he would only watch and instruct the woman who had been brought in for his pleasure, often taking his only pleasure in their pain.

Just under an hour later, he stood waiting outside of the huge double doors to the Fuhrers Office in the Chancellery building in Nuremburg. Eichmann felt a rush of adrenalin flow through his body as he waited patiently for the doors to be opened to allow him access to his God; the man he worshipped (far more than he had done Hitler, and certainly more than Goring) as the saviour of the human race. The new buildings in the city were awe inspiring to behold, the architecture and the grand structures befitting for the Thousand Year Reich that all free humans were now a part of. He smiled to himself as he thought of the millions of bodies crushed into the dust in order to make this become a reality.

He felt that he was at the centre of the world.

It had been at least six months since he had been to visit Germania, and then it was purely a vacation leave of absence from his duties as Reich Protector of Britain. He had attempted to secure a meeting with the Fuhrer, whilst he was there, but to no avail. The rumours it seemed, were true; the Fuhrer was seeing no-one; had seemingly isolated himself.

As soon as he had concluded his conversation with Maria, on the secure line in Britain, Eichmann knew exactly what he had to do. He must circumnavigate the ring of secrecy and privacy that surrounded Heydrich, by appealing directly to Karl Wolff, the Secretary to the Fuhrer, in order to gain his attention.

“What is it that is so important?” Wolff had said.
“You must know, Wolff, that I have information that may indicate that the priest has found an until-now-undiscovered link” came the curt and matter of fact reply.

Three hours later Eichmann’s private plane had taken off from Biggin Hill International Airport for a direct flight to Nuremburg, the capital city of Germania.

He stood and waited patiently in the morning warm air, for the doors to be opened, to allow him into ‘the presence’, as eight hundred miles away, a bullet pierced though the face of Maria, on that same warm morning somewhere on a pier in an obscure little town in US Occupied Britain.

Inside the Chancellery, Heydrich was drinking the last of his cocktail of pills in order to ready himself for his meeting; his only meeting that day. He looked at and smiled at himself in the mirror as his adjutant adjusted his dress jacket around his shoulders.

The smile remained in place for only a second, as images of his wife and children crossed his vision like a dark cloud floating in the sky. The Fuhrer visibly shuddered. ‘Not now! Not today’, he thought. He needed to be in full control of mind and body for today; for Eichmann. He didn’t want yet another ally whispering behind his back that all was not well with him. Still, the shudder came again, as he concentrated hard to expel the image from his mind. The drugs helped a little; helped to keep the waking hallucinations he had been having, at bay. Even more drugs helped him to at least get some sleep during those dark hours, instead of remaining awake all night fighting off the spectres and ghosts that haunted his mind.

And always the sea. Whether the visions occurred during day or night hours, the roar was always there. The roar of the sea; of waves crashing against rocks, and distant gulls screaming into the wind.

He straightened himself up and smiled again:

“Bring the Reich Protector through.”

Eichmann walked forward into the specious office, before stopping at a polite distance from his host. He clicked his heels together, and raised his right arm in salute:

“Heil Mein Fuhrer!”

Heydrich laughed and walked towards the man, grabbing him by both shoulders:

“Eichmann! So good so see you! Where have you been? We haven’t met for what seems like years! You haven’t been hiding from me I hope?”

Eichmann decided that it wouldn’t be wise to point out that all of his previous attempts to meet with the Fuhrer had been stone walled:

“Never Mein Fuhrer! The time has just passed by so quickly, as I devote one hundred percent of my time in Britain to your service!”
“Indeed! And I glad to hear it! But come, sit. I am mocking you my old friend.”

Eichmann beamed at the use of the word ‘friend’. He watched his leader as he busied himself at the drinks cabinet, pouring two glasses of Scottish Highland Whisky. Heydrich seemed in good form; even jovial, but the absence of eye contact was very noticeable. When he had last met him over two years ago, he had noticed this change of character then. Most people would not have picked up on it, but Eichmann knew the man well, and knew that his piercing eye contact was one of his many strong traits.

“How are things in Britain then?” he said as he brought the drinks over and the two men took their seats in the armchairs positioned at an angle facing each other.

“Britain is trouble free Mein Fuhrer. We are about to embark on a major autobahn programme later this summer. Her Speer has kindly arranged a shipment of Slavs to help us….”
“Speer!” spat the Fuhrer, the smile suddenly dropping from his face.
“Mein Fuhrer?” came the puzzled reply.

Heydrich’s eyes glazed momentarily, before suddenly becoming alert again:

“Good! Yes, this is good! You will ensure my British lands remain productive, and I thank you for that. I only wish I could say the same for some of the other areas.”

Eichmann listened to the man as he spoke and as he did so, he examined his face. There was a noticeable flicker at the side of his mouth that gave the appearance of a perpetual smirk, and his eyes (whenever he got the chance to look at them) somehow seemed….wrong. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but there was an oddness about them; an unnatural glint. He’d seen the look many times in the past on the faces of soldiers coming back from the front. It was the look of madness.

The Fuhrer continued:

“I am seriously thinking of invading Sweden! They refuse to implement our edicts! They refuse to deport their Jewish population to Germania, and they stall me and thwart me at every turn! And then there are the Swiss! I brought them into our lands as recognised cousins – I rewarded them! I placed them on a par with naturalised Germans and what do I get? I’ll tell you! A continuing guerrilla movement in the mountains! No matter how many villages we raze or how many people we round up and shoot, it continues. I will de-Germanised the whole lot of them, and send them all to the camps!”

The Fuhrer was red in the face as he continued to rant. His fingers gripped the glass tightly, his eyes glaring at the carpet in front of him:

“And Italy! Ha! The so-called birthplace of fascism! Since the death of that fat elephant, they are starting to go soft! Can’t control revolutionaries within their own country! They fumble about whilst the partisans set off bombs and assassinate officials! Well, if they can’t do it, I will! I’ll invade them as well!”

Eichmann spoke and wished he hadn’t:

“Mein Fuhrer. Military tactics is not my strongest area, but surely we need to secure the Indian and Afghan fronts, as well as striking back in West Africa, before we commit troops to more European countries? Better, surely to stall them? Play them at their own game, until we have considered a more permanent solution?”

Heydrich stared at him for the first time. Long seconds passed before he began to laugh hysterically into his face; spittle hitting Eichmann’s mouth, whilst the Protector resisted all urges to wipe it off:

“You are right! You do know nothing of military tactics you fucking fat idiot! You pathetic worm like creature! You will sit there and be a good fucking servant won’t you?”

Eichmann stared in alarm at the Fuhrer.

“I said won’t you be a good fucking servant?” the Fuhrer shouted into his face.

“Yes Mein Fuhrer! I mean…I did not wish to cause offense…I only wish to serve you and the Reich as best as I can.”

Heydrich continued to stare directly into the eyes of his underling, until after long moments had passed, his eyes again dropped to the floor, and almost as if nothing had ever occurred, his voice resumed its previous calm tones:

“It’s Speer. I’ve created a monster. He’s got his hands in everything.”

The Fuhrer stood and walked back to the drinks cabinet with his full glass in his hand:

“Would you like another my dear Adolf.”

Eichmann was shaken:

“Erm, yes Mein Fuhrer, if you too are having one. Erm….Is there an issue with Speer? I would like to offer my help where possible if you so require it sir?”

Again the Fuhrer turned on Eichmann with his full fury:

“Speer? Why the hell are you talking about Speer? Have you been speaking to him? What has he said to you?"

“Nothing Mein Fuhrer! I have no communication with the Reich Minister at all over these last few years! I swear it!"

Suddenly, like a switch had been pulled, the tyrants face again broadened into a full smile as he glanced back at Eichmann over his shoulder. With no new drinks poured into the already full glasses, he walked swiftly back to the chairs and placed the same drinks back down on the side table:

“Now, enough of all this nonsense. You are distracting me with your questions Adolf!” he laughed. “You should not tease me in the way that you are doing!”

Eichmann tried a nervous smile:

“Of course not sir. I offer you my deepest apologies.”
“Not at all. Not at all! No need for any apology! You are one of my most trusted allies. Now, I am sure you did not travel all this way to talk to me about Sweden and Speer and the colour of wallpaper eh? And I am sure that I did not grant you this moment of my precious time to do so either? Yes?”
“Yes, Mein Fuhrer. I came with information on the priest.”
“Ah, the priest! This is the American who has been trying to find living relatives of mine alive and well in Germania so that they can try to sabotage Blut Spenden? I thought Kaltenbrunner had ordered his death? Is this not so?”
“Sir, the priest lives. He is currently within the US zone of Britain. But sir, there is something I must broach with you. Something that is quite delicate and very difficult for me.”
“Oh do not be such a coward Eichmann! You should love your Fuhrer, not tremble in fear in his presence!”

Eichmann wasn’t too sure about the last sentence. He pondered for a moment whether or not his probings may provoke a violent reaction from his leader; leading possibly to his own death at the hands of someone who was clearly deranged, possibly under the influence of drugs, but unhinged all the same. He took a deep breath:

“Sir, there may be a living blood relative.”
“Impossible” came the curt reply.
“Sir, with your permission, and if I may be so bold as to ask you a question?”
“Fire away man! You look so nervous, it is quite funny!”
“Sir, our contact, Maria, in Britain has indicated to us that the priest is pursuing a particular lead.”

The smile left Heydrich’s face at the mention of Maria. Fleeting images of her naked body flashed before his eyes; images of masochistic and aggressive sexual contact filled his mind’s eye before he could shake his head and physically expel the visions.

Eichmann looked at his Fuhrer with a new horror. The man appeared to be trembling and shuddering in his chair, before suddenly straightening up again and looking back to the floor. He had no choice but to continue:

“The priest is trying to find a boy, aged ten years old. He is in the American occupied area. The boy was conceived in 1947 sir. The information is that the mother was stationed in Slough, outside of your Windsor residence at that time.”
“What are you asking me Eichmann” he said icily.
“Sir. I apologise, but the mission of the priest…..well, sir, it is important to your own destiny that we…you…..know if there is a bloodline that exists….if there is a living relative.”
“Don’t be absurd Eichmann. What are you accusing me of! I was a married man in 1947, I would never….”
“Sir, she was a British woman who worked at the kitchens at both Windsor and Eton. Sir, we need to be clear as to why the American spy is searching for this child. I will kill this rumour dead in its tracks if that is what is required, however, I will not dare to even think anything different about you as the saviour of humanity, if it is true. But surely, you of all people must understand, that if it is true, all efforts must be made to kill the boy?”

“Kill the boy? Boy?”

Heydrich had resumed his seat and spread his palms upwards in appeal:

“What is all this about a boy? Is he the boy who haunts my dreams Eichmann? Is this the boy who smiles at me as the ghouls attempt to rip my body apart. I have seen him you know!”

“Mein Fuhrer….I”

“Oh yes, he comes to me in my dreams, often. He is there with his innocent smile, and I have….I have seen another man….a man I do not know…..and he’s taking his blood from the boy’s wrists. All the time the waves are crashing. The never ending crashing noise! It fills my head with pain and leaves me feeling utterly desolate. Is this the boy you speak of Eichmann!”

Eichmann watched his Fuhrer begin to unravel in front of his eyes. He needed to press on with the question:

“Sir, I….Mein Fuhrer, is it possible that you fathered this child in Britain?”

The tears now began to flow openly from the Fuhrers eyes as he continued to stare at the carpet:

“Just once, Adolf, only once. She….Lina….she wouldn’t come back….I. Where is he? Where does he live. Is he well and healthy?”

Eichmann was deeply troubled:

“Sir, the boy is in the Lancashire region of Britain, but please leave this with me. I shall ensure that all of this is taken care of. No one will ever need to know and no one ever will know.”

“Take care of….yes…that’s it. I didn’t know Eichmann. I didn’t know that there was a child. I thought…..get me Goring.”

The Reich Protector was horrified:

“Mein Fuhrer, Goring is dead.”

“Yes, I know that you fool!” he shouted back at the carpet “Get me the Luftwaffe! We should be bombing! Our latest nuclear bombs! We must hit the…hit the boys home….the boy must….he must die….I….”

Eichmann tried not to stare at his leader but found that he could not. The man was unhinged. It was quite clear he was suffering from some kind of medical illness that was affecting his thought process:

“Sir, all shall be taken care of.”

The switch moved again and Heydrich was suddenly staring back at him. Those same aged but yet still piercing eyes that the subordinate had once know and loved were burrowing deep into his own.

“It better be Eichmann! It better be! Because if it transpires that this boy lives and the Americans are able to extract a cure from his blood then you, my dear worm, will be the one to pay! And you will pay with your life – slowly Eichmann, slowly.”

“Yes sir! Of course sir! I serve only you! Maria is already on the trail, but I shall ensure that the death of the boy is of the highest priority.”

Heydrich gave the Protector a look of contempt as he stood from his seat:

“I travel to Wewelsburg Castle immediately. I have a meeting with Speer, where I indent to get to the bottom of his little plots. I assure you Eichmann” he laughed “that I doubt Speer will leave that castle!”

The Fuhrer stalked the room as he finished his drink, puffing himself up and pausing to gaze at his own reflection in the mirror:

“You see, they don’t know! None of them know of my ‘insurance policy. They soon will do! Now get out and do not come back until you have brought me the truth – that Blut Spenden is indeed Gods own blessing upon me!”

“Mein Fuhrer” shouted Eichmann as he stood and saluted his Leader.

Hours later, Eichmann boarded his military charted flight back to Britain. He was a deeply troubled man.

There was no order passed on for the wholesale nuclear bombing of US Britain. It was just talk from the Fuhrer; it was just an idea. No one else heard, and he wouldn’t repeat what the madman had suggested.

OTL
Adolf Eichmann
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Eichmann
Karl Wolff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Wolff
Albert Speer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Speer

Last edited:
McKendry needs to get his rear in gear. The solids are most definitely in the air and heading towards a large rotating device.

Sheila

“Is he alive” came her last question directed against the back of the man as he began to move away from her.

Sheila watched as McKendry dashed quickly around the side of the small shop buildings onto the walkway that would lead him to the pier entrance; to the waiting soldiers. He was shouting for a medic and had obviously not heard her last pleading question.

She held her son in her arms, keeping the firm pressure on his shoulder wound whilst gently swaying him in her protective embrace.She wept, almost uncontrollably, for the torment that her family had endured, repeating the words “thank you” over and over again to a God that she wasn’t sure even existed. It was over now, John was safe, and with this knowledge, the fragile walls that had held her emotions together over these last few days began to crack and crumble; the waves of exhaustion finally hitting her both mentally and physically. She wept for her sons, one of whom was bleeding and unconscious in her arms, the other whom she instinctively knew, regardless of Maria’s gloating, was dead. She wept for Johan and lost love; the promise of a bond so loyal that nothing could divide them, proving to be as vulnerable and as tenuous as their own lives.

Lastly she wept for herself, and allowed herself, for the first time in many many years, to recall what had taken place on that horrendous night at the manor house in Eton in April, 1947. Over the years her mind had slowly shut out the details of the events that had led up to her being dragged to the floor, but other details came back to her as though it were only yesterday. The smell of alcohol on his breath; the heavy breathing in her ears; the charming Heydrich smiling and speaking to her in English being replaced by a violent fiend who shouted and screamed at her in his native tongue. She recalled how he had pinned her small frame to the floor with the weight of his own body, holding her arms and ripping her clothes from her body; biting at her exposed skin. She recalled his rough grabbing hands, greedy for her body, his grunting and sweating. The pain; her pain. She recalled it all as though it had just happened, all the while the thunder crashed in the skies above them, sending lightning streaks into the dimly lit kitchen that illuminated the face that stared at her from above. She knew she was going to die at his hands, that he could not possibly let her live, and yet she had stumbled from the room unaided; just the vaguest memory of the rapist sitting on the floor, quietly sobbing for his own lost honour.

Seconds had passed since the American had left them, and Sheila shook the memory from her as her eyes closed just momentarily, the waves of exhaustion continuing to flood her body.

A noise. A movement, causing her eyes to suddenly open wide. Her body becoming fully alert as she looked down upon the face of her son. His eyes found hers, as his lips moved soundlessly.

“Try not to speak, my love. It’s all ok now. Everything’s going to be ok.” She spoke softly into his innocent gaze.

Johns mouth formed into a small smile, before his eyes flickered for a moment, looking beyond his mother. Looking over her shoulder. The alarm and horror returning to them.

“Mum…..”

Sheila felt the cold steel cut through her soul as the knife plunged into her stomach.

McKendry

He turned the corner around the small shop kiosk buildings, and continued to run until he reached the rear of the theatre structure, darting around so that he could finally get a view of the entrance to the pier and trotting to a stop when he saw the waiting soldiers pensively gathered at the other end of the walkway.

“Medic! Medic!” he cried again, causing an immediate reaction, as the Commander and others began to move as one onto the pier.

“I need an ambulance Ron! The boys hurt” he shouted through cupped hands, and observed as one of the men turned about on his heel to run back the parked vehicles scattered along the promenade.

Sure that his instructions had been clearly understood, and that help was coming, McKendry immediately began to move backward, before spinning his body and pushing himself off for the return sprint.

The scream filled the air and caused his heart jump in his chest. A vague dizziness passed before his eyes, and the pain at the back of his head again shot through his skull like red hot needles. His mind was in complete confusion, not understanding the reason for the scream as he hurtled past the shops towards the open space. In those seconds, the question glared at him from within his own mind – had Sheila screamed over the death of John? Had he been too late?

McKendry feared the worst as he rounded the bend and came face to face with an even worse nightmare.

A bloodied faceless mess that was no longer human was being pushed backward over the rail by Sheila. The image etched itself into his mind. The whole of the top of her face was missing; flaps of skin hung loosely and clung to the remnants of a lower jaw, that dangled open like a foul imitation of a laughing grin.

McKendry’s stride did not alter. He continued to run headlong at the scene that unfolded in front of him.

Thirteen yards and he would reach them.

John was alive! He was struggling to remain upright, but was pushing against the chest of the thing that was once Maria…..

Twelve yards.

Sheila was clutching her stomach with one hand, the other clenched around a knife that was being pushed towards her by Maria…..

Eleven yards.

The blood pouring down Sheila’s arm as Maria pushed back, slicing into the mothers hand…..

Ten yards.

Sheila screaming and pulling her body back a few inches from the woman…..

Nine yards. He would make it!

The horrified mother using the gap she had created to throw her entire body weight against the woman, causing her upper body to bend over the rail – gravity now taking care of the rest…..

Eight yards.

A blood curdling rasping scream coming from the bloodied and obscene hole that used to be Marias mouth, while her hands grasped and grabbed at air, as she tried to keep her balance, knife finally dropping from her grasp…….

Seven yards. She was going to fall over the rail.

The right hand of the monster finding purchase; coming to a stop on John’s shoulder; roughly grabbing his jacket and shirt beneath……

Six yards. “Fuck” - the word would only just begin to form on his lips.

Maria's knee coming up hard, aided by the momentum of her fall, striking Sheila firmly in the stomach, as she heaved her body backwards….

Five more yards. He was upon them. He could do it. His muscles tensed for what he was about to do.

Her body finally slipping backwards. Her legs arching upwards. Her arm pulling the boy with her. Sheila’s body buckling and collapsing to the wooden floor….

Four yards, and he was diving forward, aiming for the legs of the boy.

She was fully over the rail and was falling. The boy’s body toppled forward and followed….

He sailed through the air before crashing heavily and painfully against the rail, his fingertips touching the left shoe of the boy as he disappeared from his sight.

McKendry winced in pain as he immediately pushed himself to his feet, gripping the rail and staring over the side into the sea. He could see the white foam of the water, where the two bodies had plunged downwards.

There were no thoughts. No processing of what must happened next, as McKendry stood on the lower rail, before quickly stepping up onto the higher one, and in one swift movement arched his body forward into a classic diving position and pushed himself off, down towards the cold and treacherous waters that awaited him.

The Commander

He collapsed exhausted against the rails as he peered apprehensively over the side. He saw only white foam and expanding ripples amidst the crashing waves that threw themselves against the piers frame.

Agent Connor was at his side leaning as far forward as he could over the rail, looking for something, for anything, that would give them hope.

Others crouched and kneeled on the wooden floor, opening first aid packs as they attended to Sheila.

And the gulls screamed out above.

………………………………………….....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Eight hundred miles away, a deranged killer shuddered in his vision of his murdered wife and children. His visions of those he purported to love mixed with those of John, and always the sea. Whether the visions occurred during day or night hours, the roar was always there. The roar of the sea; of waves crashing against rocks, and distant gulls screaming into the wind.

Jack Brisco

Banned
Whoa! Wonder what will come next. At this rate, anything could happen and I wouldn't be surprised. Shocked, maybe. Surprised, no. :)