Lancashire Life: An account of The Great Patriotic War

Sheila

Her sprinted strides down the guest house steps hesitated as she became aware of the metallic voice shouting out the order:

“Halt! Drop your weapons!”

It took Sheila only a moment of confusion to understand that the order had been directed at her; her and the man that she was attempting to keep up with.

Sheila ignored the warning and carried on running across the pavement into the road, but at a more cautious pace; now unsure of herself and her safety, as she looked around at her immediate surroundings. Where had the voice come from? She saw no soldiers or pigs, only a collection of military vehicles seemingly parked haphazard all over the road, blocking it in both directions.

The man, McKendry, did not hesitate at all, but continued to rush across the wide promenade towards the structure of the pier that jutted out into the ocean beyond, and Sheila knew why.

She could see the disappearing form of her son, as he sprinted down the side of the pier, along a wooden walkway that ran between the large dance hall structure at the entrance and the rails that guarded against the sea. The fear pounded in her heart as she saw the woman who had threatened their lives in quick pursuit of John, and McKendry too must have seen them causing him to hesitate for not one moment in his chase. In that second, any doubts that Sheila still harboured that the man could harm her and her child were washed away as she realised that he would not stop until he had reached John; had saved John from the monster who chased him. He had no sense of danger, and she momentarily recalled how he had been ready to rush out of the guest house without her. It wasn’t her, Sheila that was important to him. She, she knew, was irrelevant in all of this. It was John.

It was all about John.

Sheila didn’t have time to contemplate what it meant; why the crazed blond woman was chasing her son. She didn’t have time to worry whether her friend, Dotty, was alive or dead in the back yard; didn’t have time to grieve for her son Brian, who she knew instinctively was dead. None of this could be processed in her head, as she continued to run across the road, trying to keep up with the American man. Some inner survival instinct had told her to lower the gun towards the floor as she continued to run, and she saw that the American had done the same. But he was not going to stop, and therefore, neither was Sheila.

She was only vaguely aware of 3 fast moving military style cars that quickly closed on their location as the metallic voice continued:

“Halt or we will open fire! Halt!”

The terrified mother looked to her right towards the source of the voice as she continued to run. This time she saw the shapes of heads, peering around the sides of vehicles; she saw the fleeting shadows moving in the thick privet hedges that separated the guest houses; she saw the hand held speaker that she surmised was the source of the commands; and she saw the rifles pointing in her direction.

Her steps again slowed, until she was barely running at all, her head swimming with confusion and fear as she looked around her and back to the still running form of the American as he stepped on to the wide pavement at the opposite side of the road.

The shots cracked through the air, and Sheila, legs still moving forward, as if of their own volition, winced, arms instinctively grabbing the top of her head. She heard the scream of the seagulls as a group broke free from the roof of the theatre to take flight, outraged at the disturbance. Sheila waited for the inevitable pain to hit her body, but it did not come. She could see a man, not too far from her, to the right shouting, “Ceasefire! Ceasefire! “through the open window of a moving car that was careering to a sudden halt.

She looked back towards the pier, as rough hands appeared from behind, grabbing her arms and bringing her to a sudden stop, and holding her tightly.

Commander Truman

The unit sergeant was shouting through his hand held loudhailer:

“I said ceasefire for God’s sake! Guns down. Guns down. Hold your fire!”

Agent Connor had leapt from the car just seconds after the Commander and was yelling:

“Ceasefire! Stop firing!”

The five or six soldiers who had taken up defensive positions at the entrance to the pier, around the ornate structures of the theatre, looked at the Comamnder with wide eyed alarm, slowly lowering their rifles. One of the soldiers was physically pulling the rifle from the hands of his colleague, shouting at him to lower his gun.

Commander Truman absorbed all of this as he stared at Agent McKendry.

McKendry did not stop. He did not falter for a single moment as he continued to run directly at the wooden walkway entrance onto the pier.

“Jim!” screamed the Commander, as his friend rushed directly past him.

McKendry’s stride did not break, as his head turned for a split second towards him. The Commander could see that the back of his head and shoulders were covered in blood; the white collar of his shirt now a crimson red. And through the blood that covered his face were his eyes. Eyes that held neither fear nor rage. Eyes that were simply determined. Eyes as hard as steel. Had he been shot? The Commander was dazed as he watched McKendry move. he felt that he was watching a machine or a ghost rather than a man. Rather than a mortal man.

“Let him through” he shouted, as he started to move towards the pier, realising as he did so, that it mattered not whether he gave the order, Jim was going through anyway.

Truman jogged towards the pier entrance and continued to watch in disbelief and wonder as McKendry reached the pier and ran along the walkway. Other than his blood soaked back, he appeared to be physically well and was running headlong without any kind of apparent impairment.

He glanced at the group of soldiers, some now standing with him, watching the figure disappear around the side of the theatre structure, into the centre of the pier:

“Good job you guys are lousy shots” he said to no soldier in particular, as he turned to deal with the commotion that was now taking place just few feet away. He did not hear as the GI, who just moments earlier had been disarmed, was speaking agitatedly to his friends:

“I got 3 pops off at the bastard. I swear I did! Red, you know what a goddam crack shot I am! I’m telling you, I whacked him three times in the chest!”

“And yet he’s still running” laughed his friend as he shook his head.

“Calm yourself down lady!” The Commander barked at the woman who was being restrained, before turning to the unit sergeant, who had made his way over the road to stand next to the struggling woman:

“Inside the guest house, Sergeant! Get it sealed off right away. All exits. I want a full report on who’s in there in two dam minutes!”

The soldier saluted and ran back to his unit that had gathered around the front of the guest house, barking orders as he appraised the pale and worried faces appearing at the windows of the dining room

“Connor, you’re in charge of these bozos here at the pier. But get on the wire. I need some more units down here. Seal this dam pier off. And I want a navy boat out there ASAP as well! No one comes in or out of this pier without my….”

“Let me through!” came the insistent pleading from the woman.

The Commander finally turned his attention to her:

“And you are?”

“I’m the boy’s mother! I need to be with him! Let me through!” she shouted as she struggled and tried to see the pier that was hidden by the bodies of the men who stood in front of her.

“But we thought….” interrupted Agent Connor.

The Commander shot Connor a look, causing the agents mouth to clasp closed immediately:

“Mrs Sheila Morris I presume?”

“Let me go! He’s just a child! Your man, Mr McKendry! He trusted me! He gave me a gun, so please just let me go.”

“Sir”, interceded Connor, “she could be anyone, sir. We haven’t had an ID on the first woman, and…”

“Sheila, I’m going to ask you a question now. Get it wrong or lie to me, then you are going nowhere except a cell!”

He leaned forward:

“Who is John’s father?”

Sheila stared wide eyed at him, as he pressed his ear against her mouth. She hesitated for one more second, before whispering, and then straightening up, looking at the Commander defiantly in the face.

“Let her through” said the commander, “and she’d better have her gun back.”

The soldiers holding Sheila’s arms let go as she pulled them free of their grasp and grabbed the gun from the outstretched hand of a young GI. Pausing only to give a quick ‘thank you’ to the Commander, she immediately sprang to a run and darted inside the walkway of the pier.

“Sir?” Agent Connor stared at his superior as though he did not quite recognise the man.

The Commander rested his hands on both his hips as he watched the figure of the woman disappear out of view:

“It’s out of our hands now Connor. I know she is who she says she is. That means that the first woman who was pursuing the kid was probably Maria.”

He sighed:

“Poor little bastard may well be dead already for all we know, in which case they’ve won. But the kids plucky so he could still be running or hiding, and if that’s the case then I don’t want a pile of soldiers with guns charging around on that pier firing away. It’s way too delicate.”

He turned and looked Connor in the face, as if still weighing up the stakes:

“No, it’s way too much of a risk to go in there. It’s gotta be up to Jim now, Connor. And what mother would risk the life of her kid, eh? No, Sheila Morris is gonna be much more use than we could be.”

“I don’t understand sir.”

“No, you won’t, and that’s fine. You don’t have to. Now, get on that radio. I want more troops down here! I want the entire town sealing off, and I want goddam boats out there in the sea!”

Connor turned to walk back to the car, leaving the Commander to his own thoughts; leaving him to think back to James McKendry’s mission. He knew about Operation Omaha, of course; all senior staff had been aware of it. He knew that the US had taken bloody vengeance on the evil doctors who had concocted the plague warfare experiments and had ultimately unleashed its atrocities on his own country. He even knew that McKendry had been one of the operatives.

What he didn’t know, until the day before, was what McKendry had discovered on that night in 1951 in Germany. What he didn’t know until McKendry had told him, was why he had spent the last few years under cover, in and out of Germany, ultimately leading him to a young AWOL German soldier named Johan, just a few months earlier. In his hospital bed, McKendry had explained it all to him.

The Commander thought back, and remembered his words:

“Jim, just start at the beginning will you. What did you find out during your mission in 1951?”

Central Pier, Blackpool

index.jpg

Last edited:
“And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.”
Part 1

The Commander stood facing the pier looking at the empty space where the sprinting forms of McKendry and Sheila had been moments earlier. He was horrified at the monumental significance of what could be occurring on the pier, out of sight; the consequences of which could affect the lives of millions.

He didn’t approve one jot of the manner in which his unruly subordinate operated, but he knew that this was now out of his hands. It was all up to Jim McKendry now, and there was little he and all the soldiers he could muster could do to change this. The protection of the boy was paramount, and as he watched at the empty pier he thought back to the conversation he had had with McKendry in that pristine hospital room, that now seemed a world and a time away. The Commander had to remind himself that he had been privy to this top secret information for only the last 24 hours.

James McKendry was seated on the edge of the hospital bed, ashen faced as he tried to process in his mind that the boy, John, was now missing, and he was quickly running out of time before the lead went cold. He looked deep into the eyes of the Commander, and took a deep breath before beginning:

“What I am about to tell you is top secret Ron. There are only a handful of people who know the truth, and only 1 person, and that’s me, who knows the full story. You’re about to become the second. We need to find the kid right now Ron and you will understand why in about 5 minutes.”

The Commander leaned forward on his chair, “Is this to do with Operation Omaha?”

“Yes, that’s where it starts. You know the basics of what that mission entailed, don’t you? The assassinations of the leading Nazi doctors who had orchestrated the Red Death?”

“Of course, I know pretty much what that entailed, and I know you were part of it. We’ve never spoken of it - you never brought it up. But, look Jim, just start at the beginning will you. What did you find out during your mission in 1951?”

“There were six of us Ron. Three of us made it back from Germania, and three didn’t. We found out later that one poor guy was taken alive. I don’t doubt for one minute that that unlucky soul held out for as long as he could before they prised whatever information out of him that they could. I don’t think we need to imagine too much what they will have done to him, but what I do know is that all of our names and details were obtained by the Gestapo.”

The Commander shifted his position on the chair, as he listened intently, “Jesus! So that’s how the Nazis know who you are, why they have been hunting you?”

“They gave me a codename, did you know?”

“Codename?”

McKendry shook his head and gave a short shrug of a laugh. “Yeah, they call me the priest. I quickly became their number one target, it would appear!”

“But we have the programmes for agents in danger. You could have easily been hidden away; gotten a new life”, replied the Commander.

McKendry wasn’t even looking at his superior anymore. He was deep in his own thoughts, staring at an empty space, as though he was seeing again those events from the past:

“You know I lost my wife and two daughters to the Red Death, Ron?”

“Jeez, Jim, I knew….”

“Its OK. I told the Chief…it was Patton in those days…that there was no way in hell I was gonna go into hiding. I told him to his face that I was going to finish the mission, and I’ve kept true to that ever since.”

The Commander raised his eyebrows, “You reported direct to the Chief? Even back then?”

“I had to Ron. You see, I was the one who killed Blome. I enjoyed killing the sick bastard, I can’t deny that, but, well, it’s funny how things turn out. You see, Blome didn’t want to die. You know most men would bargain away anything they could to cling onto life, and our Dr Blome was no exception. He sang like a canary”.

The Commander was becoming impatient, “So, he gave you information? Valuable information relating to...?”

McKendry turned to look at his superior, and smiled:

“He gave me more than that Ron. He gave me the cure to the Red Death, and told me precisely where I could find it.”

Agent F

Dr Kurt Blome sat rigid on his chair in his office within the research complex on Riems Island. He stared into the face of his assailant. This mysterious man who had appeared before him like a ghost in the night, standing in the doorway, whilst he smiled at him.

“What is this! Who the hell are you!” demanded the doctor.

“The names ‘F’ my good doctor, but you can call me Jim, if you like.”

McKendry quietly closed the door, and advanced towards him with the knife, as the doctor dropped to his knees:

“I’ll give you information. I have information! Please just stop!”

McKendry stopped inches from the man’s face and said “start talking”.

The doctor stared at the intruder before lifting himself back onto his seat and contemplating his interlocked hands that squeezed tightly as if in prayer, as McKendry seated himself upon the edge of the desk that directly faced the doctor.

“I hope you’re not praying Blome? It’s a bit late for that.”

Dr Blome looked up at the Agent, tears welling in his eyes, and despite his attempt to holding his jaw set rigid and high, his bottom lip quivered uncontrollably:

“I’m not an evil man. You may think this. You would think this, after all the vanquished will always demonise the victor. But I am not an evil man.”

“No?”

“No, I am not. I know that you will never be convinced of this, but I only serve my country and the German people. I do my duty as I am sure you do.”

McKendry leaned forward from the desk, and moved the sharp point of the knife so that it was levelled between the man’s eyes: “Blome, I’m not interested. The only reason that you are still speaking is that you said that you have information. That information may save your life, so it’s up to you. Speak now or die now.”

The doctor seemed to pause for a moment as if gathering his thoughts, before looking back towards his hands. His knuckles were white with the tight grip that he was inflicting upon his own fingers:

“You call it the Red Death. Here we call it ‘Blut Spenden’. If you know your German, which I expect that you do, it is translated into English as ‘Blood Donor’.

McKendry moved the blade back from the doctor’s face:

“Why blood donor. What’s the significance of that label?”

A small shrug of the shoulders came from Blome’s frame as he continued to stare at his own hands:

“Irony? Gods will? Who knows? Who will ever know the ‘significance’, but the name was invented by the Fuhrer, by Heydrich. He thinks he has stamped his own messianic destiny into the disease by naming it thus. By naming it after himself, in honour of his own blood.”

McKendry was frowning as he listened:

“He believes his blood is the catalyst for the disease? That he’s the blood donor? But that’s impossible.”

“It is impossible, you are correct, sir. But you misunderstand me. Heydrich, of course has no reason to believe his blood is the original building block for the disease. Why would he?”

“Then what is the connection? Why name it Blut Spenden after his own blood? Don’t hold back doctor, I warn you, I will know.”

“There is no need to warn me, I assure you. I am a prisoner on this island, agent. I will never be allowed to leave because of the knowledge that I possess. One day I know they will kill me, when my usefulness to them is no more.”

The doctors hands now released their grip on themselves as he placed them onto the desk in front of him, twisting a pen between finger and thumb, as his confidence slowly began to recover:

“It was over five years ago, in October of 1946 that Heydrich - he was still Protector of Britain at the time - came here to Reims Island to personally see for himself the progress that was being made on the plague disease. As you know, two years later, Himmler was dead, and Heydrich returned to Germania to take Himmler’s place. You will also know that just shortly after that, Heydrich’s family were murdered?”

McKendry was again leaning forward watching the doctor intently:

“Yes, I know about those events. I think it’s pretty obvious that Heydrich had Himmler killed - even Goring must have known that.”

“Oh, I expect Goring did know, but I doubt very much he cared. You see he thought he could control Heydrich. He thought Heydrich was his humble puppy! Ha! And now look where that ended up!”

The doctor looked up at the agent, and for the first time seemed to be enjoying the fact that he was privy to information that the American did not know. His eyes glinted just for a moment in a hideous leer, as he smiled up at McKendry:

“But what you don’t know is who killed Heydrich’s family? His wife, his children, his brother and his family.”

“We naturally presumed it was an internal affair, disgruntled Himmler supporters or perhaps even Goring had it ordered for some reason.”

The doctor was now animated as his face lit up with the power that he possessed:

“No, no, no my friend! You are way off the mark! Way off!”

McKendry felt the tiny hairs on the back of his neck stand up for moment as the doctor continued:

“It was Heydrich himself who ordered the deaths of his family! Himself! And now, my friend, give me my life and I will tell you exactly what happened here in 1948 and why he had his family killed!”

Last edited:

McKendry felt the tiny hairs on the back of his neck stand up for moment as the doctor continued:

“It was Heydrich himself who ordered the deaths of his family! Himself! And now, my friend, give me my life and I will tell you exactly what happened here in 1948 and why he had his family killed!”
You never fail to surprise.

[\QUOTE

“It was Heydrich himself who ordered the deaths of his family! Himself! And now, my friend, give me my life and I will tell you exactly what happened here in 1948 and why he had his family killed!”[/QUOTE]

I recall thinking that at the time. The way it was written suggested so but dismissed as a red herring. Looks like I may be wrong. Not the first I might add, this thing has more twists and turns than the Great Ocean Road!!

Thank you Jack, SE and Morgan!

Very glad you didn't see it coming. It gives me great hope that I haven't dropped too many hints that would lead the conclusion being spoiled. (although I have had PMs that have correctly predicted a few things!)

I have some time off coming up, so I confidently (!!) predict I'll finish the story before the end of August.

as ever - very much appreciated guys.

N.

Thanks for the map comparison Hansreist1670.]

The similarities are great, and expect there are an amazing array of colourful butterflies that could lead us one way or the other to different versions of this map.

I wanted to tease the readers into thinking it was a headlong rush into a '1984' scenario, only to deliberately pull it back! Not only do we have Oceania and EastAsia, but there were also references to 'doublespeak' and the mass production of television in the US and Germania as a propaganda tool. No references to Ingsoc though, as we were never heading down that path.

The section headed "we are the dead" is a tribute to ATL's of 1984 that we see on this site.

Its not a spoiler, but we aren't going to see a development in any of the superstates that will resemble the 'brutal authority over the individual' that we saw in 1984. The policy is already in reverse throughout Oceania and Germania's prosperous middle classes acts as a social barrier to the existing powerful state. EastAsia will develop along communist lines that we have seen in OTL.

All of these geopolitical developments, alas, are now for the most part - side issues. There will be a couple of epilogues that will explain a little more, and I also intend finishing the story by jumping to the 1970s.

Cheers

Nick

have amended post 286 as I needed to change the chronology.

“It was exactly three years ago this month, in the August of 1948 that Heydrich - he was still Protector of Britain at the time - came here to Reims Island to personally see for himself the progress that was being made on the plague disease. As you know, just a few months after that, Himmler was dead, and Heydrich returned to Germania to take Himmler’s place. You will also know that just shortly after that, Heydrich’s family were murdered?”

changed to:

“It was over five years ago, in October of 1946 that Heydrich - he was still Protector of Britain at the time - came here to Reims Island to personally see for himself the progress that was being made on the plague disease. As you know, two years later, Himmler was dead, and Heydrich returned to Germania to take Himmler’s place. You will also know that just shortly after that, Heydrich’s family were murdered?”

hope to have next section posted soon.

Jack Brisco

Banned
have amended post 286 as I needed to change the chronology.

“It was exactly three years ago this month, in the August of 1948 that Heydrich - he was still Protector of Britain at the time - came here to Reims Island to personally see for himself the progress that was being made on the plague disease. As you know, just a few months after that, Himmler was dead, and Heydrich returned to Germania to take Himmler’s place. You will also know that just shortly after that, Heydrich’s family were murdered?”

changed to:

hope to have next section posted soon.

No sweat, Nick. Take your time.

Riems Island

McKendry was stunned:

“What..? Why would Heydrich have had his family killed? I know he’s a monster, but really Doctor? What possible reason would he have and what has this got to do with the Red Death anyway? If you’re trying to stall me….”

The doctor was still smiling, enjoying his upper hand:

“My good man, be patient. To understand all of this, I need to take you back to October 1946 to Heydrich’s one and only visit to these research facilities on this island.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..............................................................................................................................................

The Reich Protector of Britain had ensured that his visit was to remain as quiet as possible. The last thing he wanted was to give any indication at all to Himmler or Goring that he was remotely interested in the work of Doctor Blome in his island facilities at Riems. As far as the official reasons were concerned, he was making a pre-planned visit to the Reich homeland, which would encompass, as a priority, attending the Chancellery in Berlin, to report in person to the Fuhrer on his work consolidating the British population. They would also discuss the prospects of a potential US invasion of Britain, and the readiness of the German occupying forces. The rest of his planned stay would include endless meetings and receptions with other senior Nazi officials, before spending a week long vacation with his brother and his family. He had argued incessantly with his wife, Lina, making it absolutely clear that she was not to accompany him on this trip, saying that he would be far too busy and besides, she and the children were already spending far too much time away from Britain and people were beginning to whisper all was not well. Lina would not understand; could not understand, but Heydrich would not dare risk that his secret visit to Riems could be jeopardised in any way.

Once the official business had been concluded, the plan was to enjoy 3 day sea-fishing holiday with his brother, Heinz, in the inland Baltic Sea lagoon of Achterwasser. The lagoon was approximately thirty kilometres from Riems, allowing the Protector to slip away for a full day, leaving his brother bemused but tight-lipped. The intention was to return later that night, following his visit, and spend the next 2 days relaxing, before heading onto his brothers home outside Leipzig, where he would be free from distractions to allow him to plan his next moves.

That was the plan.

The three men travelled in the private car along the causeway onto the island itself, after successfully bluffing the guards at the outpost at Riemserort on the mainland. Heydrich had enjoyed the little subterfuge, and had giggled to himself as he looked into the car wing mirror to see the false mustache and beard affixed to his face, small spectacles and wide-brimmed hat pulled low over his brow. His papers showed that he was a microbiologist from the Institute of the Waffen SS, on a pre-arranged visit with Dr Blome; his personal SS guards played the part of his researchers.

“Ah, Doctor! It is good to see you again! Now, how do you like my disguise! It is good is it not!” laughed the Protector.

“Heil, Herr Reich Protector” shouted the doctor as he clicked his heels and saluted his sponsor, “I am sorry that your first visit to these facilities could not have been under less clandestine circumstances. You alone have truly appreciated the work that we…”

“Now come now doctor! Always so serious! I have been enjoying my little game! It is fun Blome, you should try it!”

When the Protector realsied that all he was to get back from the doctor was a serious and confused look upon his face he gave up his attempted joviality:

“Oh, have it your way then, you misery! So…!” he clapped his hands together, “you said that you have good news for me! Shall we get straight onto it then? What have you discovered?”

Just over one hour later, the two men stood alone in a secure and contained laboratory that was at the heart of the complex, having toured the research facilities and examined, close up, one of the glass phials that contained the deadly disease. Heydrich could see nothing at all. The phial appeared to be empty, which uneased him more than had there been something visible to see. He pushed the glass tube away from him, instinctively not wanting to be near it. The phial stood on the desk in front of them.

“This is indeed remarkable news, Doctor.”

Heydrich was seated at the desk inside the sealed room, perusing several pieces of paper that documented the statistical results of the experiments that Blome and his team had been conducting over the last few months. He continued:

“A killer disease that we can spread at will! Yersinia pestis! This is the infamous ‘plague’ is it not?”
“A pulmonary form of plague sir, and a particularly nasty version it is as well. We were able to develop a mutated version of the bacteria. We have also developed an aerosol container for both transport and eventual release into the air. Once released, it will cover large distances in a matter of minutes, depending on air currents, but crucially will infect instantly, and kill with a few hours.”
“Excellent! And we are sure that it cannot get out of control? That it won’t cause a worldwide epidemic spreading to Germania itself?”
“Absolutely positive sir” answered the doctor, “the unique qualities of its airborne nature means that it simply dissipates and disappears the longer it is in the open air. We do of course see its best results in more confined or crowded areas, but even if released outdoors in built up urban areas it will infect and kill hundreds before vanishing.”
“Ah, the experiments you told me about” chuckled the tyrant.
“We started, of course, just infecting individuals with normal strains of the ‘plague’ and growing the mutated cultures from those hosts. Then we tried it on groups of individuals in the various camps in the east, but the stalemated Russian front has been the greatest opportunity, as it has allowed us to infect whole towns and villages, where the results have been equally wonderful! You see, there is no cure for it sir. In addition, the other wonderful quality to this disease is that the rapid nature of toxin production allows for no form of immunisation to be developed. Exactly as you had instructed.”

The Protector thought for a moment:

“Is it possible to release the toxins from an aeroplane do you think?”
“Less effective sir. The best results open air results we have seen involves the release of the disease at ground level in the centre of a town. This of course means that whoever is to activate the canister will not live long to see their results. It is the one downside.”
“Don’t worry! You leave that to me Blome. We have enough fanatical agents who would lay down their lives for the fatherland without as second thought. Now, have you informed Himmler or Goring yet?”
“Not yet sir. I wanted you to be the first to know.”
“Very wise doctor. Once Himmler is dead, I will officially head up this project, but until then, as you know, there is no reason for me to be involved at all.”

The conversation seemed to be coming to a close, and the doctor, keen as he was to continue to impress his patron, searched his mind for more things to say, until at last his face lit up:

“Would you like to see the pictures, her Reich Protector?”
“Pictures Blome?”
“Photographs sir. We have lots of them that document the effects of the disease on the human body. Most of the effects are horribly gruesome. I thought you would like to see for yourself?”
“How shrewd you are!” beamed the Protector.

The doctor left the vacuum secured room in order to go back to his office to collect the photographs. As he did so, he instructed one of the assistant technicians to retrieve the glass phial from the laboratory and take it back to its secure storage facility.

Heydrich sat alone, deep in thought, musing, through his head, the chain of events that would transpire over the next few years that would not only lead to him becoming master of Germania but master of the whole world. He smiled.

The door opened, and the young woman entered as instructed to remove the phial. She was plain looking but with a natural beauty that caused Heydrich to linger on her face a moment longer than he needed to, wearing the same smile, forgetting, as he did so, that he was supposed to be keeping a low profile – false facial hair and glasses or not.

The woman had not planned any of this. Had never planned how any of her life would have turned out, let alone attempting to murder a senior Nazi official. Her natural parents had escaped Germany and had fled to Australia at the time the Nazis had come to power. Martha Lieberman, who refused to flee with them, had fortunately been protected by non-Jewish relatives, and the unfortunate death of a female cousin had led to the opportunity of her being able to assume a new identity. Even as she worked her way through University and finally received a position at Riems, on account of her skills and knowledge in the study of bacteria, she had always at the back her mind expected them to come for her; expected her ruse to be exposed.

She did not, however, expect the opportunity she now saw before her, for she knew his face. He had looked up and smiled and in that moment she had recognised him. As Head of the Gestapo and closely involved with the rounding up and murder of thousands of people in Germany before his appointment to Britain, his was a face she wouldn’t forget.

They had been told it was an animal disease research facility, but whether that was true or not, she knew what the phial contained; had surreptitiously examined the meticulous notes kept by Blome and his associates and had even seen the photographs that the doctor sometimes left on his desk, as if he had been gazing at them before leaving for the day.

Martha picked up the phial in one quick movement and without hesitation hurled the glass tube firmly to the hard tiled floor, just inches from the man’s shoes, causing the toughened glass to crack and the invisible tendrils of the infected gas to lazily drift out into the room.

Heydrich had looked back to his papers as the woman busied herself around the desk, thus, the first he became aware that something had gone terribly wrong was when the glass phial landed and cracked at his feet. Like a slow-motion delayed reaction, a good two seconds passed before he jerked his feet away from the offending object, and then jumping to his feet and backing away towards the far end of the laboratory, staring in alarm at the small shatter of glass that lay innocently on the floor.

Martha walked calmly to the door, and pressed a large red round switch that was attached to the wall. The klaxon sound was instant, sending its repetitive grating alarm in waves across the corridors and laboratories of the facility, causing technicians, doctors and guards to come running to the source of the noise. Some had realised what it meant instantly (there had been no scheduled alarm test) and made straight for the outer doors of the complex, only to find them closed tight by the guards outside, as per the agreed protocol.

She stood and waited, whilst Heydrich behind her remained still; eyes bulging in confused shock.

Doctor Blome was one of the first to reach the door and understood immediately as he looked past the woman to search for the phial, before his eyes rested upon the broken glass on the floor. He immediately pulled several lever mechanisms that sealed the door and the lab tight, leaving the ability to open it from the inside now redundant.

They stood and stared at each other for long seconds; the doctor and the woman.

“What have you done!” he half shouted, half pleaded through the glass, and she simply smiled:

“It will be over soon. For me and for Herr Heydrich.”

At the mention of his name, Heydrich appeared to suddenly come alive. He had been staring from the other side of the room at Blome and the other white coated staff that peered at him nervously through the glass. Now he sprang into action and raced across the room, roughly throwing the woman to the side and landing heavily on the door, pulling frantically on the metal handle, that would not move.

“Open the door Blome!” he screamed at the face staring back at him.

Nothing.

“Open the fucking door Blome! Open the fucking door now!”

Blome turned to his own security guards and instructed them to put the two incognito SS soldiers who had travelled with Heydrich, and who were now somewhere outside the building enjoying a cigarette break, into immediate custody.

“Ignore anything they tell you, but do not hurt them!”

“Are you fucking mad! Get me out of here now you fucking traitor!” came the panicked shouting from the infected and trapped Reich Protector.

“I’m so sorry sir, please, just….”

Next he turned to other anxious looking technicians and researchers and instructed them to purge the room, as one of them began to twist a large metal wheel 180 degrees until it came to stop. The thin spray that emerged from the shower-like protusions on the ceiling instantly caused Heydrich to jump back in alarm, trying in vein to dodge the fine acrid smelling rain, that gently covered the room, as if it would burn his skin.

“Sir, it is a strong disinfectant. It will not cause you any harm. Just cover your eyes and mouth and try to breath normally…..”

“Open the fucking door”, he shouted again, tears welling in his eyes as the awful truth began to dawn on him.

The doctor seemed to became emboldened; his professional medical instincts now driving his actions as he looked at Heydrich as if he was any other patient. For that was what he had become.

“I’m sorry sir, I can’t do that yet. We have to purge as much of the toxins as possible before risking opening the door. The automatic disinfectant spray will be partially effective, but we will need to manually spray every inch of the room before I can risk you leaving. The bacteria cannot be allowed to escape into the complex. I can’t risk anyone else being killed.”

The words hung in the air, as Heydrich looked at him, his face pale and ashen:

“Am I already dead Blome” he said quietly.

The doctor could only stare at him as the word “yes” became stuck in his throat.

All the while, the soft laughter came from the woman as she pulled her knees up to her chest and waited.

Divine Intervention

McKendry remained quiet as he listened to Blome recalling the events from the past. The doctor was seeming to relish the story telling; seemed to be enjoying his moment, his lips moist and his eyes wide as he gesticulated excitedly at particular parts of the tale.

“He was terrified, naturally” continued the doctor. “I hadn’t yet shown him the photographs, but he knew only too well the type of agonising death that awaited him.”

“He could have killed himself, and saved the world a whole lot of trouble” replied the agent acidly. “I’m sure you would have done his bidding, if asked?”

“Oh indeed, if asked. But he didn’t ask you see. When Kaltenbrunner arrived and saw how he was rapidly deteriorating, he broached the subject; wanted him to have his revolver, but Heydrich refused to discuss it. You see, he never quite accepted that he was going to die. He was determined that his destiny would not allow it, and of course determined that his own willpower alone would defeat Mother Nature herself.”

“But he did recover!” countered McKendry, as he began to grasp, for the first time, the possibilities that were slowly revealing themselves.
“Indeed he did, my American friend. But it wasn’t willpower! No no no, not even the great Fuhrer Adolf Hitler himself could have beaten a deadly disease through the force of his mind!”
“So what the hell happened then” snapped the agent, becoming irritated by the doctor’s excited manner.
“Mother Nature herself” laughed the doctor.

When he saw the blank expression on the agents face, he laughed the more.

“The disease that we manufactured is an abomination! We interfered with the natural order of life itself, and that natural order does not like to be manipulated! Oh yes, Mother Nature will have her fun, and will not be beaten in this wonderful game we play!”

The doctor grinned the more as he looked McKendry in the eyes:

“Heydrich of course was not interested in all of that. As far as he was concerned, his recovery was divine intervention! It was Gods will that he should live!”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..............................................................................................................................................

Ernst Kaltenbrunner wept as he entered the quarantined room.

It had been twelve days since the terrible attack had taken place on Heydrich; twelve days of fear as he had watched his friend roller-coaster between life and death; twelve days of danger as he had created false reports and travel itinerary as to the Protectors whereabouts.

It was only when Dr Blome was absolutely sure that Heydrich understood completely the unfortunate situation that he had found himself in, and that it was of the utmost importance that he follow the instructions of himself and his staff that he relented to the man’s request to send for Kaltenbrunner. As Head of the Reich Security Office, a promotion that Heydrich had personally arranged, Kaltenbrunner was indebted to him, and was in the best placed position to assist with any arrangements that needed to be made.

When the SS Ubergruppenfuhrer had arrived, he was visibly shocked to see Heydrich’s condition. Blome had quickly explained the events of the last twelve hours. The inner buildings had been evacuated, before the door had been opened, and the tyrant had cowered in the corner of the room as doctors in sealed head-to-toe overalls had entered the room and continued to spray the disinfectant everywhere. Items of furniture and all other objects were carefully removed in sealed bags to be burned inside the facility. Heydrich himself had suffered the further humiliation of his clothes being taken away and incinerated, whilst his naked skin was doused with the powerful disinfectant. Blome had explained to Kaltenbrunner that this was alas all in pointless hope, and the most they could do was to make the patient as comfortable as possible, whilst hoping to gleam new information from the incident and its effects. The Nazi had gruffly pushed the doctor to one side, and demanded to see his friend.

Even from behind the think plastic visor that he had been instructed to wear over his head, and the plastic sheets that surrounded the bed, Kaltenbrunner was able to immediately see the quick effects of the disease. Heydrich’s eyes were blood red, and faint lesions, almost like bruises, had begun to form underneath his skin. His hair was plastered to his head as the sweat poured from his brow and glistened in nauseating pools amid the discoloured blotches. Kaltenbrunner could see the blood stained pillow and bedding as he thrashed his head from side to side, and moaned incoherently.

“My God, man!” exclaimed the Nazi Security Chief as he took a step towards the bed.

“No sir! His spittle and blood is highly contagious, even his breath could cause infection” shouted the doctor as he grabbed the man’s jacket sleeve.

Kaltenbrunner took a step back, as he regarded the scene before him a little more cautiously, the smell of faeces, blood and death reaching his nostrils, before pulling his arm brusquely from the doctors grasp:

“There must be something you can do, dam you!”, as he stared at Blome’s face.
“We can try to control his temperature and ease the pain……”
“What? No! This is Heydrich! This is the Reich Protector of Britain! He cannot be allowed to remain in such a degrading and demeaning condition! He should have been offered a gun as is the right of any respectful German!”

“Ernst! Ernst!” The slurred shout came from the bed.

His voice was weak as he continued “No, you must leave….leave Doctor Blome alone…..I am not going…..not going to die….Ernst….no gun….not going to die.”

Kaltenbrunner bowed quickly before clicking his heels and saluting the stinking mess on the bed.

“You must take charge Ernst….explain….explain I’m hiking…..yes….hiking or fishing….fishing with Heinz. Can’t let them know I’m…..I’m here……can’t let them see me…..like this. Blome says…..says no hope for….me……if he is right…..Ernst….you see to it…..see to…..that I did not….did not die here….no….not like…..not like this….not this….”

His sentence was quickly cut off by a racking coughing fit, and he lurched forward to vomit black blood from his mouth, his arms clutching his stomach as the terrible wracking pains took hold of his body.

The two men backed out of the room, as other aides, covered in protective garments attempted to ease the Protectors suffering.

“What happened to the woman. The assassin!” snarled Kaltenbrunner, as they headed back down the corridor.

“She was shot in the head and incinerated. Questioning her would have been pointless, and we couldn’t risk….”

He didn’t finish the sentence, as the Nazis gloved hand struck him hard across the face.

Twelve days later, he again stood in the same spot as before and looked though tear filled eyes at Heydrich.

“It is a miracle!” The precautions had gradually been lifted, allowing the thick plastic curtains to be removed, and now armed only with a mask that covered his mouth and nose, Kaltenbrunner cried out “It is a miracle!” once more, as he gazed upon the man in the bed.

Heydrich could manage to muster a weak smile and raise his right arm in semblance of a salute, as Kaltenbrunner in turn saluted his Fuhrer.

“Ernst……I dreamed….”came the faint and croaked voice from the bed.

“Try not to speak sir. Blome says that you are well on the road to full recovery and that there are no signs that you carry any infection. This is truly Gods work….you and you alone are my Fuhrer!”

“I dreamed of the sea Ernst…of seagulls crying in the wind, and the waves crashing. Next, I was in the ocean…..I was a boy again, and I was drowning. It was haunting Ernst….I felt utterly desolate.”

……………………………………………………………………...............................................................................................................................................................................................

“How did he recover?” McKendry questioned the doctor.
“Are you a man of science, agent? I suspect you are not.”
“Try me” came the retort.

The doctor raised his hands in mock resignation:

“We took samples of all secretions in those first 48 hours purely for research purposes, but after three days had passed, the Fuhrer still lingered on. His body seemed to be fighting the infection, and we had no idea how. He recovered faster than we could find out why, and of course once he was able to walk unaided, he left immediately and returned back to Britain. He didn’t want to assist me with any kind of research into why he had recovered. He said the science was irrelevant and that my team and I would never find a reason. But he was wrong, so very wrong.”

Blome shifted his position and placed his hands behind the back of his head as he rested back into his chair and continued:

“Divine intervention? Gods will? No! It is science! That is what it is! Pure science and nothing else.”
“What did you discover doctor?”
“You will not understand, but I will try to keep it as simple as possible for you” came the almost sneering and arrogant reply as he continued:

“Heydrich carries a polymorphic surfactant protein within his saliva. This protein tethers lethal toxins to the surface of the bacteria, in effect turning it into a bactericidal.”

“Ok, stop. You are correct, I don’t understand. Just tell me in simple terms what you are saying” lied the American, as his basic knowledge of microbiology was already telling him where this was going. However he wanted the doctor to feel totally in control; a sure way to get someone to gloat the truth.

The doctor laughed:

“Well, to put it another way, Heydrich carries an incredibly rare resistant variant, which meant that once activated, his salvia in effect – killed the bacteria.”

“He’s immune to the plague, to the Red Death?” repeated McKendry

“He is! And furthermore, this appears to be quite a unique occurrence in Heydrich alone. We have examined the saliva of a million Germans over the years and cannot find any repeat of the toxins; however I strongly suspect that either his mother or father may have been the originator.”
“Why do you believe that” said the agent, his mind trying to keep ahead of the growing revelation.
“Because I secretly took samples from his brother and his youngest child.” He said dispassionately.
“Secretly? Heydrich didn’t know.”
“I couldn’t let him know I was still investigating his recovery until I was ready with the answers, now could I?”
“And you are going to tell me that his sibling and child also carries the rare condition?”

Indeed they do, but oh dear!” scolded the doctor, “you haven’t made the connection yet have you?”

For once, McKendry had no words to say as he contemplated the man before him; this evil genius that relished in his casual confession.

“I want my life, sir! If I tell you the rest, I want you to leave here and let me live!”

OTL
Ernst Kaltenbrunner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Kaltenbrunner

Revelation

“I want my life, sir! If I tell you the rest, I want you to leave here and let me live!”

McKendry studied the doctor for a moment, before replying:

“You have my word. I will show you mercy. Just tell me the rest.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………….........................................................................................................................................................................

Four months after the incident at Riems, Dr Kurt Blome climbed into the waiting car and enjoyed the brisk February air as the English countryside swept by the car window.

It was his first meeting with the Reich Protector since he had been infected and then miraculously recovered from the plague disease, and Blome was anxious that the meeting should go ahead without any awkward hitches. He knew that the Protector was acutely embarrassed by what had happened at the facility but at the same time acknowledged that the doctor and his colleagues had done what they needed to do to contain the disease, and prevent it from infecting a whole group of highly skilled and qualified scientists and researchers.

Two of the medical personal, the ones who had sprayed the room, had subsequently succumbed to the deadly toxins, as had one of the orderlies who had nursed Heydrich in his most critical state. However, no more outbreaks had occurred and they were satisfied that it had been contained. Heydrich had instructed before he left for his return to Britain that all other personnel who had had dealings with him whilst at his most vulnerable in his hospital bed were to be disposed of. He had refused to look Blome in the eye as he gave this order, and the doctor had despaired at the senseless loss of gifted workers; nevertheless he had seen the order carried out.

As he travelled in the car, he mused over what he would say. How do you explain to a man who believes that God Himself has preserved him that there is a more mundane and rational explanation? How do you explain to him that what he thinks of as a miracle is in fact a curse? If there was a God, then He must surely be laughing at them and all their conceited folly.

The Reich Protector of Britain received the doctor in his spacious study at Windsor Castle. Blome could see that he had put weight back on, and other than a vague distant and haunted look, appeared to be relatively back to his full healthy self.

There were no courtesies, no small talk:

“The operation is going well I presume, yes? We have the canisters ready for the shipment to the submarines, yes? So, why did you insist on travelling here Blome. What is that you have to tell me in person?”

Heydrich had his back to him, as he stared through the large window on the study, and the doctor noticed that he still had trouble making any kind of eye contact with him. He thought that the Protector had felt that his shield of authority had literally been stripped from him, leaving him exposed. Blome remained standing, for he had not been offered a seat. He fingered his hat nervously, with his coat still buttoned up and cleared his throat:

“Herr Protector, I now know why you did not die. I know why you survived.”

When Heydrich did not reply, he continued:

“Sir…well…it would seem that your saliva carries an immunity. It is extremely rare, in fact it is all but unique, but the plague bacteria was killed by your own body….”

He did not turn, but replied:

“It is of no consequence. You say it is science and biology and I say that it is God and fate. You say it is unique, and that proves it. I am chosen by the Almighty. I am protected by His hand. You think not, but that does not matter to me so we will leave it at that.

Blome remained motionless and cleared his throat again:

“Sir, we’ve conducted further experiments. Erm…..we’ve cultivated the mutated bacterium from your blood…..and well, we’ve tested it.

Silence

“We infected a host with the plague, and then shortly afterwards, injected a serum of your cultivated blood into his body. The man made a full recover. We tried it again, and again and every time the same results.”

Blome now took a few steps towards the silent frame of the man that still held his back towards him:

“But there is more sir. We reversed the experiment. We introduced your blood as a vaccine into a host’s body and then infected them with the disease. The results were remarkable sir, we repeated it again and again, and in every case, the host displayed some mild symptoms before making a full recovery.”

For the first time Heydrich turned and faced his guest, looking him in the eye:

“What are you saying to me Blome?”

“Well, to put it, err, simply sir, your blood, it seems, contains not only an antidote, but a vaccine as well. It is feasible that we could cultivate your blood and inoculate the whole of Germania…..”

“And why the fuck would I want to do that!”

Blome was slightly taken aback, and remained silent.

“Get out of here, you pathetic little worm.” He strode forward and rounded angrily on the doctor. “I don’t care for your theories and your explanations! I am the cure! And I am the cure because God Himself has ordained it to be so! It is my Blood, not Germany’s! It is my blood alone and it has been given to me alone! Not for sharing Blome! You said it yourself! My gift is unique! I am the Blut Spenden! I am the beginning and the end! Now go before I have you shot.”

Blome with his head bowed was now the one who would not make eye contact with the man who now stood only inches away, nevertheless he had to complete the report. He owed it to himself as a scientist that the man in front of him would get the full truth:

“Sir, with respect, I do not mean to offend, but I must explain. I didn’t say unique, sir, I said ‘all but unique’. Sir, you aren’t the only carrier of the cure and the vaccine. I have proof that it is also carried by your brother, Heinz, and one of your children, meaning in effect – all of your children.”

Heydrich stood and stared at the doctor, before starting to snigger. It began as a quiet and steady chuckle before intensifying into a hysterical and uncontrollable laugh, his shoulders shaking with the effort as he grabbed the doctor by his arms to steady himself, the tears streaming down his face.

Blome stood rigid and watched with growing alarm as the man he deeply respected changed before his eyes, changing into a man gripped by a fit of hysteria; a man unhinged.

The hands gripped the doctors arms the more and more tighter, as his laughter continued, pulling the unfortunate Blome towards him until at last he had clutched him into his half crazed embrace.

Blome did not see the blow coming, let alone expected it to happen in the first place. The Protector was still laughing as he brought his fist down heavily and squarely into the eye socket of the doctor, knocking him to the floor in a second. He circled the man, screaming like a beast possessed and rained down blows and kicks at his curled up form as he tried to protect himself all the while screaming “I only wish to serve Mein Fuhrer!”

Heydrich slumped back into an armchair, breathing heavily, and sweating profusely as he contemplated the weeping bleeding form that squirmed like a worm at his feet:

“What must I do Blome.”