L’Aigle Triomphant: A Napoleonic Victory TL

The main potential problem with the above is that while the Russian “establishment” could not care less about the East Prussia (*) it did care a lot about the implications of having a big Polish state on its border: one of the OTL reasons for Alexander’s breakout with Napoleon was Napoleon’s refusal to guarantee that DoW is not going to be expanded. It was fully expected that extended Polish state is going to start looking for the Russian share of the Partitions and these expectations were not a pure paranoia: when the Congress Poland was created, the issue of the lost territories on the East had been raised.

So Nappy is facing a serious dilemma of having a balanced act: the Poles may (or may not) be awarded but such an award should not cause friction with the bigger player, Russia.

I would not overestimate influence of Walewska or any other Polish figure (**): Nappy usually kept the bed and politics separate and held an opinion that he already did enough to reward the Poles who, anyway, did not have an option but to follow him.

But, in practical terms, if Nappy wants to break Prussia he has to cut off either East Prussia or Silesia. Russia is not interested in EP but would be against giving it to the Duchy. Silesia is much more “neutral” in that regard. With Austria - Galicia is another “toxic” issue by pretty much the same reasons except that Russia may want at least a part of it.

_________
(*) If anything, there probably would be a certain amount of unhappiness about getting more Germans: there were already complaints about having too many of them both in the civic and military service. Neither would it provide noticeable opportunities for getting estates there: no free land available. Austrian Galicia was seemingly much more attractive.

(**) Allegedly, after Kosciusko expressed his ideas to Fouche and he communicated them to Napoleon, Napoleon shrugged them off as a complete foolishness.
When the Congress Poland was created, its king happened to be the tsar of Russia, so there was no danger of Kingdom of Poland trying to claim its former lands. But I agree that Russia might not be happy about strong Poland on its border. OTOH they can not do much about it, except fighting Napoleon who just crushed Prussia and Austria (again). The tsar might settle with a part of Eastern Galicia, possibly East Prussia (just to keep it away from Poland) and some guarantee that Poland renounces any claim to territories that are now Russian.
If Napoleon can appease Russia, he can reward the Poles. While mentioning Walewska was a little joke of mine, I still believe that strong Poland would be a useful French watchdog in Central Europe and potentially the first line of defence against Russia. So e.g. Napoleon can promise the tsar that there will be no French troops in Poland. Poles would be too weak to launch an invasion of Russia on their own and they would be told that France will not back them in any attempt to regain their lost territories.

I don't see any way the Coalition doesn't get totally curbstomped. This is a lot like the OTL Fifth Coalition, just with Iberia on Napoleon's side and Prussia against him. Given how weak Prussia is at this point, that really offers little benefit to the Coalition. On the other hand, not having to garrison Iberia means that Napoleon can put his full strength into his planned two-pronged attack. This is a classic strategy for Napoleon, and one that consistently served him well against the Austrians in particular.

When Napoleon wins, I think he'll seek to punish the Austrians most harshly. I think them losing Galicia is pretty likely, the only question is how much if any will go to Russia. Napoleon also tried in 1809 to carve Hungary off from the Austrian domains, and if he can pull that off he'll be dealing them a pretty brutal blow.

I really don't think Napoleon would be inclined to care whether Russia is angry or not. Napoleon was never exactly one to fear the diplomatic repercussions of his treaties, and certainly he has no reason to fear Constantine's Russia right after breaking Austria and Prussia.

When the Congress Poland was created, its king happened to be the tsar of Russia, so there was no danger of Kingdom of Poland trying to claim its former lands.

Actually, this practically happened because Alexander was quite willing to listen to these ideas until he faced a strong Russian opposition. The problem was that on one side the Polish political leaders understandably wanted their former lands back (*) and on another the Russians, also understandably, did not see any reason why should give away a considerable part of the Russian Empire even if it was just the same for their emperor. Alexander, also understandably, chose the safe option: climate of the St-Petersburg area was notoriously unhealthy causing deadly cases of the hemorrhoids, heart strokes and, if push comes to shove, probably even sneezing could end up badly. 😂
In this scenario

_______
(*) Which meant Lithuania, Belorussia and perhaps even the right bank Ukraine.

But I agree that Russia might not be happy about strong Poland on its border. OTOH they can not do much about it, except fighting Napoleon who just crushed Prussia and Austria (again). The tsar might settle with a part of Eastern Galicia, possibly East Prussia (just to keep it away from Poland) and some guarantee that Poland renounces any claim to territories that are now Russian.
Well, in OTL Nappy adopted pretty much “bite me” attitude because soon after Tilsit his relations with Alexander started getting sour. The issue of a guarantee was raised but instead of guaranteeing that expansion of the DoW is not going to happen (as Alexander required) Napoleon promised that he is not going to help to extend the Duchy. In a meantime Davout kept building up the Duchy’s army (by some estimates it reached 100,000).

In this TL we have a different set of the circumstances and attitudes. Russia is a reliable and very important ally which is faithfully maintains the alt-CS system (profiting from it, to be sure). Change from this course, even without a war, could be a serious economic blow to Napoleon. It is probably reasonable to assume that prior the the beginning of war not just the coalition members but Napoleon as well had some diplomatic exchange with Constantine and it is reasonable to assume that some promises and guarantees are given regarding this very touchy issue to keep Russia friendly or at least neutral because, with all his dislike of a war, Constantine potentially may be tempted to join coalition (volatility of his character is a serious factor).

OTOH, unlike Russia, DoW does not not have space for a maneuver: either Napoleon wins or the Duchy ceases to exist. And if it’s cooperation can be taken for granted, Napoleon does not really have award the loyalty (just as he did not in OTL). The Duchy may or may not get something after the victory but only as long as it does not hurt Napoleon’s greater interests.

Now, as far as the rewards are involved, Prussia is somewhat of a part of the Russian “sphere of influence” even if it is trying to become an independent player by joining the 5th coalition. Both Nappy and Constantine (who, unlike Alexander, is not obsessed with the idea of being protector of Prussia) may consider that Prussia should be punished for its bad behavior but Russia is still interested in having it as some kind of a semi-vassal and rather a friendly one. Not annexing East Prussia an not allowing Napoleon to give it to the Duchy is important to achieve that goal exactly because of its geographic location.

Nappy may decide to take Silesia from Prussia but he does not have to give it to the Duchy because he can give it to Saxony. The fact that the King of Saxony is also a head of the Duchy is just a happy coincidence and the important part is that the Duchy is not excessively strengthened by adding a region with the strong economy.

Taking Galicia from Austria is another story. Unlike Prussia, Austria is nobody’s satellite and somebody can also refresh Constantine’s memory regarding Suvorov’s Switzerland campaign in which he participated, just to maintain a correct attitude. Of course, giving the Western Galicia to DoW is strengthening it but if this is balanced by giving the Eastern Galicia to Russia, the whole schema starts looking well balanced and should not raise too many hackles.

The part about the renounced claims is interesting but pretty much meaningless. The only important document would be Napoleon’s formal obligation not to allow any expansion of the Duchy at Russian expense. The Polish “renouncement” can be easily denounced by the “patriots” and would not prevent the unofficial help to the “activists” on the Russian territory.

If Napoleon can appease Russia, he can reward the Poles. While mentioning Walewska was a little joke of mine, I still believe that strong Poland would be a useful French watchdog in Central Europe and potentially the first line of defence against Russia.

Which is exactly why in this TL it’s existence as a strong state may become inconvenient both for Napoleon and Constantine. 😉
Unlike OTL France and Russia are friendly so the defense against Russia (Russia launching an offensive war against France is rather unlikely) is not really important (having a loyal vassal at the Prussian and Austrian backyards is a different issue). OTOH, there is no guarantee that a strong Polish state is not going to get Napoleon involved into a war against Russia: the Poles of that period were not famous for their levelheadedness.

So e.g. Napoleon can promise the tsar that there will be no French troops in Poland. Poles would be too weak to launch an invasion of Russia on their own and they would be told that France will not back them in any attempt to regain their lost territories.
On that we both are in an agreement but the problem would be not an invasion but steering up the trouble in the Russian Polish territories with a potential escalation of the whole thing. For example, there is an uprising in Lithuania helped by the volunteers and weapons from the Duchy. Russian attempts to block the border are resulting in the clashes with the Duchy troops and almost inevitably result in penetration of the Duchy territory (see Balta Incident which triggered Russian-Ottoman War). The Duchy appeals to Napoleon and even in the best case scenario the Russian-French relations may sour.

I cant help but imagine Napoleon's reactions and thoughts about Constantine
He's so used to Alexander's strongman external policies and the russian tsar, a force that threatned even him, is now a Napoleon fanboy who keeps sending him letters like if he was Elvis Presley

I cant help but imagine Napoleon's reactions and thoughts about Constantine
He's so used to Alexander's strongman external policies and the russian tsar, a force that threatned even him, is now a Napoleon fanboy who keeps sending him letters like if he was Elvis Presley
Well, Bonaparte got quite cozy with Constantine’s dear papa whom Constantine somewhat resembled (minus good intentions, which is bad, and minus the chivalric ideas, which is good). So, after Alexander this should be a welcomed change and they have all chances to get along just fine. BTW, “dear brother” was a standard addressing among royalties: NIII went to war because (among other things) he was being addressed as “dear friend”. 😜

Well, Bonaparte got quite cozy with Constantine’s dear papa whom Constantine somewhat resembled (minus good intentions, which is bad, and minus the chivalric ideas, which is good). So, after Alexander this should be a welcomed change and they have all chances to get along just fine. BTW, “dear brother” was a standard addressing among royalties: NIII went to war because (among other things) he was being addressed as “dear friend”. 😜

Holy cheesynuts!
I'm very surprised about this, dear friend
I’m not a royalty, so this would do just fine. 😂

Of course, it was explained to Little Nappy (the sources vary, before or after the war) that being a friend is better because we are not choosing the relatives but he still insisted on being a brother.

I’m not a royalty, so this would do just fine. 😂
Good thing I'm not one either, I would make such a mess because I take these things waaay to serious
Like some of friendships started because someone called me a friend, bud or something of the sort and I took it at face value and went through great lenghts to make sure we were the best friends ever, I'd have a hell of a time getting the memo lol

Actually, this practically happened because Alexander was quite willing to listen to these ideas until he faced a strong Russian opposition. The problem was that on one side the Polish political leaders understandably wanted their former lands back (*) and on another the Russians, also understandably, did not see any reason why should give away a considerable part of the Russian Empire even if it was just the same for their emperor. Alexander, also understandably, chose the safe option: climate of the St-Petersburg area was notoriously unhealthy causing deadly cases of the hemorrhoids, heart strokes and, if push comes to shove, probably even sneezing could end up badly. 😂
In this scenario

_______
(*) Which meant Lithuania, Belorussia and perhaps even the right bank Ukraine.
I'm not sure I understand. IIRC the Congress Poland was created only because tsar Alexander I wished so. If he didn't want it, there would be no Kingdom of Poland and the borders between Russia, Prussia and Austria would be returned to 1797. So it wasn't as if the Congress of Vienna decided: there will be a Polish state, Russia protested " but they might launch a war for their former territories" and the Congress said: "OK, so your Tsar will be also the King of Poland". It already started with tsar as the king. He did made some promisess concerning rejoining some lands to the Kingdom, but it would be only his decision. And indeed, due to internal opposition he never did it.

Well, in OTL Nappy adopted pretty much “bite me” attitude because soon after Tilsit his relations with Alexander started getting sour. The issue of a guarantee was raised but instead of guaranteeing that expansion of the DoW is not going to happen (as Alexander required) Napoleon promised that he is not going to help to extend the Duchy. In a meantime Davout kept building up the Duchy’s army (by some estimates it reached 100,000).
In this TL we have a different set of the circumstances and attitudes. Russia is a reliable and very important ally which is faithfully maintains the alt-CS system (profiting from it, to be sure). Change from this course, even without a war, could be a serious economic blow to Napoleon. It is probably reasonable to assume that prior the the beginning of war not just the coalition members but Napoleon as well had some diplomatic exchange with Constantine and it is reasonable to assume that some promises and guarantees are given regarding this very touchy issue to keep Russia friendly or at least neutral because, with all his dislike of a war, Constantine potentially may be tempted to join coalition (volatility of his character is a serious factor).
It is debatable whether Russia would be worried enough about Poland to break the profiable Continental System. I think with some guarantees (like limiting the army of en enlarged Polish state to 100.000) and official cession by Poland of any claims it can be done.
BTW, the number of 100 000 soldiers you mention is the joint number of the Army of the Duchy AFTER it was enlarged in 1809 , National Guard (reserve) and the Polish units in French service (like the Vistula Legion). Such a big force was created on Napoleon's direct demand (when he was preparing to invade Russia) and was a very big burden on the economy of the Duchy. If Napoleon said that the Duchy or recreated Poland does not need so many soldiers, Polish Army would have been significantly smaller and less of a threat to Russia.

OTOH, unlike Russia, DoW does not not have space for a maneuver: either Napoleon wins or the Duchy ceases to exist. And if it’s cooperation can be taken for granted, Napoleon does not really have award the loyalty (just as he did not in OTL). The Duchy may or may not get something after the victory but only as long as it does not hurt Napoleon’s greater interests.
But IOTL Napoleon DID reward DoW after the war in 1809: The Duchy received a large part of Austrian occupied territories, making it more or less 33% bigger. It might happen again.

Now, as far as the rewards are involved, Prussia is somewhat of a part of the Russian “sphere of influence” even if it is trying to become an independent player by joining the 5th coalition. Both Nappy and Constantine (who, unlike Alexander, is not obsessed with the idea of being protector of Prussia) may consider that Prussia should be punished for its bad behavior but Russia is still interested in having it as some kind of a semi-vassal and rather a friendly one. Not annexing East Prussia an not allowing Napoleon to give it to the Duchy is important to achieve that goal exactly because of its geographic location.
I think Poland would not want East Prussia anyway; the Pomerania with Gdańsk/Danzig, OTOH... But I agree that Russia might decide to back Prussia a little. Not too much, so maybe Prussia could be be able to keep Brandenburg, Western Pomerania AND East Prussia.

Nappy may decide to take Silesia from Prussia but he does not have to give it to the Duchy because he can give it to Saxony. The fact that the King of Saxony is also a head of the Duchy is just a happy coincidence and the important part is that the Duchy is not excessively strengthened by adding a region with the strong economy.
He may give Silesia to Saxony or divide it between Poland (Upper Silesia) and Saxony). Both solutions would give Poland and Saxony a direct border.
Taking Galicia from Austria is another story. Unlike Prussia, Austria is nobody’s satellite and somebody can also refresh Constantine’s memory regarding Suvorov’s Switzerland campaign in which he participated, just to maintain a correct attitude. Of course, giving the Western Galicia to DoW is strengthening it but if this is balanced by giving the Eastern Galicia to Russia, the whole schema starts looking well balanced and should not raise too many hackles.
Here we completely agree; Poland gets Western Galicia, possibly with Lwów/Lviv, and Russia all the rest. They might also get Bukovina, if Napoleon is in the mood.

The part about the renounced claims is interesting but pretty much meaningless. The only important document would be Napoleon’s formal obligation not to allow any expansion of the Duchy at Russian expense. The Polish “renouncement” can be easily denounced by the “patriots” and would not prevent the unofficial help to the “activists” on the Russian territory.
Which is exactly why in this TL it’s existence as a strong state may become inconvenient both for Napoleon and Constantine. 😉
Unlike OTL France and Russia are friendly so the defense against Russia (Russia launching an offensive war against France is rather unlikely) is not really important (having a loyal vassal at the Prussian and Austrian backyards is a different issue). OTOH, there is no guarantee that a strong Polish state is not going to get Napoleon involved into a war against Russia: the Poles of that period were not famous for their levelheadedness.
On that we both are in an agreement but the problem would be not an invasion but steering up the trouble in the Russian Polish territories with a potential escalation of the whole thing. For example, there is an uprising in Lithuania helped by the volunteers and weapons from the Duchy. Russian attempts to block the border are resulting in the clashes with the Duchy troops and almost inevitably result in penetration of the Duchy territory (see Balta Incident which triggered Russian-Ottoman War). The Duchy appeals to Napoleon and even in the best case scenario the Russian-French relations may sour.
Napoleon would be perfectly willing to sign such obligation and very strongly press the Polish government to do the same. And the risk of the Polish uprising is not so great. When the French Army invaded Russia Napoleon was very disappointed with relatively small number of Poles in former Grand Duchy of Lithuania willing to join him.
However I agree that Russia might be worried about it. Napoleon, OTOH, can placate them with limits on Polish troops (as I mentioned above), lack of the French (or even Saxon) troops in Poland, French guarantees for Polish-Russian border and promises to keep the Poles on leash.

I think tgere are many scenarios possible. Well, we shall see what the author decides.
EDIT: I just had a thought: How about Russia agrees to relatively strong Poland if Prussia is left strong enough to balance it? So perhaps Prussia is allowed to keep Pomerania OR Silesia (at least its part)?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand. IIRC the Congress Poland was created only because tsar Alexander I wished so. If he didn't want it, there would be no Kingdom of Poland and the borders between Russia, Prussia and Austria would be returned to 1797. So it wasn't as if the Congress of Vienna decided: there will be a Polish state, Russia protested " but they might launch a war for their former territories" and the Congress said: "OK, so your Tsar will be also the King of Poland". It already started with tsar as the king. He did made some promisess concerning rejoining some lands to the Kingdom, but it would be only his decision. And indeed, due to internal opposition he never did it.
You understand it correctly. It was between Alexander and Poles and Alexander and Russians and had nothing to do with the Congress of Vienna.

It is debatable whether Russia would be worried enough about Poland to break the profiable Continental System.

Now, this you clearly misunderstood. I wrote that the potential territorial conflict between Russia and alt-Duchy could sour Russian-French relations with a resulting damage to the alt-CS.

I think with some guarantees (like limiting the army of en enlarged Polish state to 100.000)

Alexander started being pissed off when this army reached 60,000: population of the Duchy was approximately 3M so the mobilization level was approximately 2%, which was quite high comparing to Russia (approximately 400,000 for 40M - 1%). So “limiting” it to 100K most probably would be considered quite uncomfortable and not justified by a potential need to confront Prussia with the size of its army being severely cut by Napoleon. Plus, one would have to add the Saxon army to the equation.

Of course, a lot would depend upon Constantine’s attitude toward the issue but he is not ruling in a vacuum and one could always expect that the overly-enthusiastic Poles (on both sides of the border) may become overly confident in Napoleon’s backing. On the other side of equation would be the Russian distrust to the Poles, even the “Russian” ones. Alexander could have a Polish aristocrat as his close friend and a Polish mistress but a prejudice was there. On a “national” level two nations had been hostile to each other.

and official cession by Poland of any claims it can be done.

I already remarked on that: nobody would care about such assurances because they would be meaningless: of course, the Polish invasion of the Russian Empire was not realistic but a turmoil on the Russian-held territories unofficially incited from the Duchy could cause a domino effect.

BTW, the number of 100 000 soldiers you mention is the joint number of the Army of the Duchy AFTER it was enlarged in 1809 , National Guard (reserve) and the Polish units in French service (like the Vistula Legion). Such a big force was created on Napoleon's direct demand (when he was preparing to invade Russia) and was a very big burden on the economy of the Duchy. If Napoleon said that the Duchy or recreated Poland does not need so many soldiers, Polish Army would have been significantly smaller and less of a threat to Russia.

That’s the point. The OTL mobilization in a poor territory destroyed by the earlier wars was a clear indication of the hostile intentions. A noticeably smaller army would be a normal thing to have. Actually, this issue was discussed in one of the earlier chapters and, as you may notice, Davout is not in charge in this TL.

But IOTL Napoleon DID reward DoW after the war in 1809: The Duchy received a large part of Austrian occupied territories, making it more or less 33% bigger. It might happen again.

Quite possible.
I think Poland would not want East Prussia anyway; the Pomerania with Gdańsk/Danzig, OTOH... But I agree that Russia might decide to back Prussia a little. Not too much, so maybe Prussia could be be able to keep Brandenburg, Western Pomerania AND East Prussia.

Yes, it would make it much more dependent upon Russia while still providing a nice buffer, just in case. Polish Danzig can be tricky adding one more participant to the Baltic System but probably OK because the Duchy is going to play along. However, Prussia should remain meaningful as a state and willing to get back into the Baltic System after Nappy dealt with it: neither Nappy nor Constantine are interested in the System being sabotaged from inside (*).

(*) IIRC (not quite sure), when Paul broke with Britain and established embargo on selling strategic materials to Britain, Prussia was buying the Russian timber and reselling it to the Brits.

He may give Silesia to Saxony or divide it between Poland (Upper Silesia) and Saxony). Both solutions would give Poland and Saxony a direct border.
Yes, this is the point. And, formally, giving all or a part of Silesia to Saxony is not unduly strengthen the Duchy.

Here we completely agree; Poland gets Western Galicia, possibly with Lwów/Lviv, and Russia all the rest. They might also get Bukovina, if Napoleon is in the mood.

Napoleon would be perfectly willing to sign such obligation and very strongly press the Polish government to do the same. And the risk of the Polish uprising is not so great. When the French Army invaded Russia Napoleon was very disappointed with relatively small number of Poles in former Grand Duchy of Lithuania willing to join him.

Well, we are talking about the concepts of that time which were not necessarily reflecting the realities. Truly Polish population (as in ethnic Poles and Polish-speakers) in Lithuania (in the modern terms Lithuania and Belorussia) mostly amounted to the nobility and a part of the city population, which was not too much in the predominantly rural areas. So the pool of the potential volunteers was not too big to start with. Then, of course, part of the pool was reasonably comfortable under the Russian rule or simply not bellicose enough to go to war on their free will. Then, Napoleon passed through the area reasonably fast so there was no time to organize a “volunteer movement” (BTW, in which capacity these volunteers would serve? In the Russian army the nobles would expect an officer rank but judging by Zeromsky a volunteer in the French army may end up as a rank soldier). Plus, Napoleon’s real interest was in gathering food and forage (and probably some horses) in the area and for this having sympathetic estate owners in their estates was much more important than to have extra few hundreds or even thousands untrained volunteers in an army which was already too big to be managed.

However I agree that Russia might be worried about it. Napoleon, OTOH, can placate them with limits on Polish troops (as I mentioned above), lack of the French (or even Saxon) troops in Poland, French guarantees for Polish-Russian border and promises to keep the Poles on leash.

I think tgere are many scenarios possible. Well, we shall see what the author decides.
EDIT: I just had a thought: How about Russia agrees to relatively strong Poland if Prussia is left strong enough to balance it? So perhaps Prussia is allowed to keep Pomerania OR Silesia (at least its part)?
Indeed. We are coming to the issue of a balance of power in the region: interests of two Great Powers and their dependent states. Weakening one of these dependents too much results in a disbalance between the Great Powers and within this framework the advantages of pleasing one’s vassal may not overweight disadvantages of displeasing (so far friendly) another Great Power by squeezing its vassal too much.

By adding Prussia to the 5th coalition our dear @KingSweden24 created a very interesting situation which did not exist in OTL and I’m waiting to see how he is going to play the balancing act. 😂

To think about it, it start looking as a plausible option that Constantine may (subject to @KingSweden24 whim 😜) go somewhat beyond the complete neutrality by the following reasons (all of them are assuming certain degree of a sanity but, while being prone to the fits of the erratic behavior, he was not a complete moron or imbecile so this assumption is not from ASB area):

1. Napoleon is a friend both on the state and personal level (at least as far as Constantine is involved) and, while not being as “chivalric” as his father, Constantine may feel certain obligations toward him.

2. Austria, for Constantine, is not a friend (*). It “betrayed” Russia during the 3rd Coalition (**) and before that during the 2nd coalition, 2nd Ottoman War of CII, the Ottoman War of Anne, did not help during the GNW and refused to support the Russian interests at Karlowitz. Tensions during the 7YW and pressure which forced CII to agree to the 1st Partition also would go into the list. In other words, Russian orientation toward Austria never brought any positive results, blahblahblah, and was a terrible mistake. Unlike case of Prussia, Russia does not have any moral obligations toward Austria and getting a piece of it does not damage the Baltic System or the Russian strategic situation in any way and may even provide some advantages as far as the Russian policies on the Danube are involved.

3. Prussia is a different story. It is a part of the System and some kind of a “junior partner” who made a terrible political mistake and, of course, should be punished but not too severely so that the status quo in the Baltic region is not damaged (neither Nappy nor Constantine want that).

4. Russia is not interested in Prussian-Austrian victory because it is not going to benefit from it and victorious Prussia is going to be too self-assured to be comfortable with its status of a de facto Russian vassal. Victorious Austria is inevitably going to be a strong competitor in the Danubian Principalities (time of the Russian interest in the whole Balkans did not come, yet, but Moldavia and Wallachia are definitely within Russian “sphere of interests” and Austria is interested in them as well).

5. Within this TL framework Russia is not really interested in strengthening the British positions on the Baltic and restoring its de facto monopoly on the naval trade.

Based upon these considerations, Constantine may chose a combination of the strict (not friendly) neutrality toward Prussia and Franco-Russian military alliance against Austria. Russian offensive in Galicia also undermines possibility of the “excessive” expansion of the Duchy at Austrian expense. With a bulk of the Austrian army being engaged against Napoleon and the Duchy’s troops also being engaged on the Austrian flank, the campaign promises to be relatively easy and may be (in the best case scenario) somewhat conductive to the improvement of the Polish-Russian relations.

(*) Alexander was driven by anti-Napoleonic feelings (both personal and those stemming from his Anglomania) so any ally would do, especially if this is a legitimate monarchy against the Corsican upstart. Constantine is not sharing this “holy war” mentality.
(**) For whatever it worth, see “War and Peace”: the “society” blames the defeat on the Austrians and not without some valid reasons (terrible disposition for Austerlitz and separate peace).

Last edited:
Inside the Fifth Coalition
Inside the Fifth Coalition

Britons were ecstatic that, at last - and after nearly five years of trying to scrounge up a new anti-Napoleonic Coalition on the continent in the wake of the Peace of Stockholm - armies were being raised to contest French hegemony once again. Their enthusiasm should, in hindsight, have been tempered; for once, the objectives of one of the Coalitions was relatively limited. Austria and Prussia both sought simply to, realistically, limit direct French influence over Germany and eliminate the threat on their immediate borders posed by the armies of Saxony, Bavaria, Italy and Warsaw; in the event of unexpectedly robust victories, their aims included retaking lands stripped from them at Pressburg and Tilsit and creating a new German order they could together dominate. That there was mistrust between Berlin and Vienna, however, was an understatement; the latter in particular was leery of Prussian coziness with St. Petersburg and was constantly on watch for a betrayal. Neither wanted the other to succeed so much so that they would wind up getting the shorter end of the stick in the end, triggering a disastrous lack of coordination and strategizing between the two of them. Prussia's only genuine diplomatic success in the entire war was convincing the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, the larger of the Mecklenburg states, to withdraw from the Rheinbund and join the Fifth Coalition; Austria, for its part, mobilized its reformed armies but divided them into three camps for three separate offensives, leaving each one undermanned and eventually securing its own defeat.

Britain, meanwhile, eagerly helped finance the massive new armies raised and then set about debating where it could best involve itself. A regiment was dispatched to Fiume to march alongside the Austrian incursion into Italy; this was more symbolic than anything. Linking up with Prussians and Mecklenburgers would prove difficult, with the Baltic League closing the Kattegat to British ships since 1809. Eventually, Cabinet elected for a two-pronged invasion with the weight of available British soldiers (which, after four years of being bled supporting the pretender Ferdinand in the Spanish Americas, was less than what was likely needed). 40,000 men were to link up with the smaller armies of Savoyard Sardinia and Bourbon Sicily and land in Calabria, creating a second front in Italy near British-controlled shipping lanes; another 45,000 were to go ashore in Walcheren in Holland, aiming to open up yet another front in the conflict, this one close to Napoleon's heartland, and cause trouble in the Low Countries, particularly in the vicinity of Anvers. With 85,000 men committed to the Fifth Coalition, it was the largest expeditionary force raised by Britain yet - and meant drawing the forces in Spanish America down to the bone, even as the guerilla campaigns there between Fernandine supporters and the juntistas who vigorously opposed his imposition over the rightful Charles IV had escalated to the point that even the capital at Mexico was threatened.

Austria, led by Archduke Charles, was fully mobilized by March 22 and began its march along the Danube towards a waiting Bavarian army near Salzburg shortly thereafter; another army crossed into Prussia via Ostrau to link up with a force there to attack the 60,000-man strong army of the Duchy of Warsaw through Lower Silesia. Saxon forces and Prussian armies clashed indecisively at Weimar on April 2; Austrians marched into Venetia on April 3 shoulder to shoulder with the British infantry regiment they had been promised. In Vienna, Emperor Francis waited eagerly for word of Wellington's landing in Calabria and Sir John Pitt's attack into Walcheren; time was of the essence, for the greatest field commander of the age was marching through Germany now to counter, and there was no knowing what traps, tricks or surprises he had up his sleeve this fifth time around...

I think in this timeline the fifth coalition might become a meme.Ha!ha!ha but my god it's great, and I can't wait to see the rest :)

Wow, wasn't expecting another update so soon.

This really feels like a last Hail Mary play from Britain. If 85,000 British troops (which IIRC is like 1/3 of the entire British army at this point) are defeated on European soil, that probably means the end of any British ability to project power much of anywhere. It also seems like a really bad move to split the Coalition's armies up this much. The offensive in Holland in particular seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

This really feels like a last Hail Mary play from Britain. If 85,000 British troops (which IIRC is like 1/3 of the entire British army at this point) are defeated on European soil, that probably means the end of any British ability to project power much of anywhere. It also seems like a really bad move to split the Coalition's armies up this much. The offensive in Holland in particular seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Can't be worse than cavalry capturing the Dutch fleet at Den Helder.

Can't be worse than cavalry capturing the Dutch fleet at Den Helder.
Which was, let’s just say, a boss move.

Yeah, this is where the wheels actually start to come off for the Brits. Even still they could probably defeat the Americans at this point one-on-one if it ever came to that in Canada!
I think in this timeline the fifth coalition might become a meme.Ha!ha!ha but my god it's great, and I can't wait to see the rest :)
Haha yes! “Oh boy; this is such a Fifth Coalition waiting to happen…”

Yeah, this is where the wheels actually start to come off for the Brits. Even still they could probably defeat the Americans at this point one-on-one if it ever came to that in Canada!
To be fair though, being able to beat the Americans in the 1810s isn't exactly a very high bar to clear.