L’Aigle Triomphant: A Napoleonic Victory TL

yes, i agree with Aluma your stories are great to read.
That means a lot.
Nice chapter, let's hope the Napoleonic Peace last for a while. France should stay very watchful of it's British neighbor, they will use any opening to attack France and bring it low. Would like to see how the Americas are doing with the official end of the Napoleonic Wars. How is US doing? I think with no War of 1812, they will bide their time and look south instead of north, due to the troops sent to Canada and somewhat better relations with Britain. Latin America will be interesting IIRC with all the colonies rebelling due to the British attempt to usurp power in Spain by supporting Ferdinand. Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the good work.
We’ll be getting to the US here shortly, though one of my goals in this TL is to be less US-centric than my other two… so what’s happening there will show up from time to time, but it’ll be peripheral to other things or tied in to Mexico, Brazil, etc

Nice chapter, let's hope the Napoleonic Peace last for a while. France should stay very watchful of it's British neighbor, they will use any opening to attack France and bring it low.
in europe, everyone will stay calm for the next 10-20 years until the populations recover from the war. basically until a new generation grows up.
Would like to see how the Americas are doing with the official end of the Napoleonic Wars.
while europe licks its wounds in these 10-20 years. The American continent is going to explode in my opinion.
How is US doing? I think with no War of 1812, they will bide their time and look south instead of north, due to the troops sent to Canada and somewhat better relations with Britain.
theoretically they would be fine. Growing in population and economic power. in relation to expansion in the north or south is more complicated. If mexico continues to be part of Spain, the USA will have a more complex war, and maybe the USA will wait another 20 years until it has the strength to defeat the region in a more definitive way. Further eastward expansion to avoid war at the moment?
Latin America will be interesting IIRC with all the colonies rebelling due to the British attempt to usurp power in Spain by supporting Ferdinand. Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the good work.
in south america the areas that should catch fire soon, is the gran colombia/peru region with a war of independence. The other region that will catch fire will be the La Plata region, with a war between the Portuguese empire and Spain for control of the region. Unlike the US expansion war, this one will be more violent, and desperate. If Portugal has control, Spain will not be able to send the precious minerals to Europe and if Spain wins Portugal, it will not have access to 1/4 of Brazil.
The tendency is for Portugal to win due to the fact that Spain can lose this access and send it to another region. It's just more expensive. But Portugal has to win the war or the Portuguese empire dies. This will be the most dangerous conflict for a new great war to occur. Portugal can for example try to win the support of the local population, with promises that if they become part of the portuguese empire they would pay less tax, have their cultures respected, be able to speak spanish etc.
spain on the other hand might try to bring france into the war but that will bring uk. they can also "attack" the portuguese who are in portugal, persecuting them .
It's not a nice situation, it's gonna be the balkans of this world. Everyone needs the region and a free trade and access agreement is impossible between Reino Unido (brazil and portugal) and Spain. Due to the events of this timeline
The Plata region and the rivers
1659027238148.png

1659027399839.png

And with that we are effectively done with the first part of the narrative, from the Bayonne POD through the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

From here on out, updates will be a bit broader and usually cover a longer period of time, since we are not in the nitty-gritty of “how did Napoleon win?” anymore. We’ll start with the UK’s reaction to its defeat in Europe and Spain’s panic over events in the Americas and then go out from there.
Well if the Hearts of Iron games have taught me anything, it's that successfully winning Continental Hegemony over Europe needs to be followed up by an invasion of CONUS a few years later ;) .

Well if the Hearts of Iron games have taught me anything, it's that successfully winning Continental Hegemony over Europe needs to be followed up by an invasion of CONUS a few years later ;) .
maybe if there was a war between uk and usa. With the uk unleashing the country's anger towards france in the usa.

The Peace Upon Us

1815, to the soldiery and indeed all peoples of Europe, was a breath of fresh air. The fighting had ended the previous year and now the Peace of Aix was complete; unlike the brief respite in continental battles that had come with the end of the fighting in Stockholm, this had a feeling of permanence, the first time since Amiens a decade earlier that there was a general feeling that Europe had settled into a lasting new order.

Farmers returned to their tills, craftsmen to their workshops, generals to their estates; the "Spirit of Aix" grasped much of Europe, particularly France. Weddings postponed for years were held, children born, new businesses founded. Paris hummed with a new energy as hundreds of diplomats and noblemen from across Europe descended upon it to reconnect with fellow aristocrats whom war had kept apart and to treat with Talleyrand, a man now the centrifugal force of continental affairs. The year 1815 was a curious one economically, as demobilization of an entire continent upended the economies dependent on the war footing of the past ten years but an optimistic energy infected Western Europe, the sense that a quarter century of bloodshed since the start of the French Revolution was at an end. In time, it would come to be viewed as the starting line of a long economic boom that would last deep into the next decade. The Marshals of France either remained behind with the titles in foreign lands they had been granted, found new roles in Paris to excite them, or in the case of trusted Ney, found their own version of peace in retirement.

Napoleon, for his part, had something else to celebrate - the birth of his fourth child and third son, Charles Napoleon, in November of 1815. It would in fact be his last child to live to adulthood, as the next two babies borne by Catherine would die in infancy before her own death in 1821. Fatherhood suited him poorly and he was constantly restless, having won his great victory, but the peace upon Europe left him sated for the time being, with all threats on land cowed and Britain retreated behind its watery moat. There were now new marriage alliances to form, new intrigues to be fought in the salons of Europe's courts rather than on blood-drenched battlefields, and Talleyrand was now his greatest marshal rather than Ney, Murat or the others. A curious new time, a Pax Napoleonica as he called it in his own diaries, beckoned, and the most impactful general since Alexander of Macedon vacillated on what precisely to do with it...
A nice short chapter to end the first part, now I'm wondering to see just how exactly will you develop a post Napoleonic wars France, also looking forward to seeing what happens in Britain (who are still the losers of the conflict, even if not fully), Spain (colonies in disarray and rebellion, economy is still not so great and have a LOT of reforms that need to be done) and Brazil (their main backer is broken and defeated, the country while developing is still behind in many aspects and they're definitely not coming back to Portugal, their sorrounded by revolutions going around them in neighboring countries, their only breather is the fact there's peace in the continent and Napoleon is more interested in getting colonial goods in exchange for French goods now that Haiti is independent and they need somewhere that can supplement them.)

looking forward to seeing what happens in Britain (who are still the losers of the conflict, even if not fully),
greater colonization of asia ?
more opium wars with more demands (and something similar in other countries, japan for example)
Spain (colonies in disarray and rebellion, economy is still not so great and have a LOT of reforms that need to be done)
the biggest problem in spain is the fact that the king and especially the heir are reactionary and stupid. I fear that maybe spain will do the impossible and come out worse than otl.
and Brazil (their main backer is broken and defeated,
yes, no more uk to come save the day. This can be good or bad, depending on how the Portuguese react. Perhaps with the loss of the capital, the trauma will be enough for the country to have a backbone again.
the country while developing is still behind in many aspects and they're definitely not coming back to Portugal
yes, the country ( brazil) will have a construction and economic boom among other things now that it is the capital of the empire and it can trade freely.
their sorrounded by revolutions going around them in neighboring countries,
Curiously, they are protected in the north by the Amazon, in the east by Bolivia/deserts and in the west by the sea. The danger area will be the south
their only breather is the fact there's peace in the continent and Napoleon is more interested in getting colonial goods in exchange for French goods now that Haiti is independent and they need somewhere that can supplement them.)
this is going to be a way to weaken the uk tremendously. Buy everything or almost everything needed for Europe through Portugal. This will break the alliance between portugal and uk. Portugal/Brazil has the chinese trade and other products needed for europe. Depending on whether the uk will support the independence of the nations of latin america, a support of french officers in the portuguese army in the possible war for tge plata region would be a way to pull portugal to the french sphere or ta least bring a greater friendship. Both gain with their economies improving and uk's taking longer to recover.

Last edited:
There is also the fact that bolivia asked to be part of the portuguese empire, I had forgotten about it. without a war of independence/civil war the portuguese empire can easily win this territory. I feel sorry for the American continent. The chaos that will exist in this region will be immense.

The uprisings of Chuquisaca and La Paz were the starting point of the wars of independence of the viceroyalty of la plata. In the early 19th century, independence movements began to emerge across Hispanic America, spreading war and chaos. Faced with this feeling of insecurity and fearing chaos, in June 1822, the three governors of the Spanish departments of Upper Peru (which had already been threatened by the troops of General Antonio José de Sucre and Simón Bolívar), met in Cuiabá (capital of Captaincy of Mato Grosso, Brazil) and asked the governor to intercede with Prince Regent Dom Pedro (soon to be crowned Dom Pedro I, Emperor of Brazil), in order for the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves to annex these territories, seeking to spare their population from massacre and chaos.
Immediately, the governor of Mato Grosso sent troops that were under his captaincy to Alto Peru, blocking the advance of Bolívar and Sucre, and sent a letter to Dom Pedro, informing him of the dispatch of troops and the request of the authorities of Alto Peru. (later to become Bolivia). Letter that was only received by Dom Pedro I in November 1822, when Brazil was already an independent nation.
Clearly, at that moment, Dom Pedro I was more concerned with defeating the resistance of Portuguese liberal troops on Brazilian soil, ensuring the unity of the newly independent nation. However, without this decision being taken, the Bolivian territory could have been integrated into Brazil.

source wiki

Upper Peru
1659032108150.png

Last edited:
There is also the fact that bolivia asked to be part of the portuguese empire, I had forgotten about it. without a war of independence/civil war the portuguese empire can easily win this territory. I feel sorry for the American continent. The chaos that will exist in this region will be immense.

The uprisings of Chuquisaca and La Paz were the starting point of the wars of independence of the viceroyalty of la plata. In the early 19th century, independence movements began to emerge across Hispanic America, spreading war and chaos. Faced with this feeling of insecurity and fearing chaos, in June 1822, the three governors of the Spanish departments of Upper Peru (which had already been threatened by the troops of General Antonio José de Sucre and Simón Bolívar), met in Cuiabá (capital of Captaincy of Mato Grosso, Brazil) and asked the governor to intercede with Prince Regent Dom Pedro (soon to be crowned Dom Pedro I, Emperor of Brazil), in order for the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves to annex these territories, seeking to spare their population from massacre and chaos.
Immediately, the governor of Mato Grosso sent troops that were under his captaincy to Alto Peru, blocking the advance of Bolívar and Sucre, and sent a letter to Dom Pedro, informing him of the dispatch of troops and the request of the authorities of Alto Peru. (later to become Bolivia). Letter that was only received by Dom Pedro I in November 1822, when Brazil was already an independent nation.
Clearly, at that moment, Dom Pedro I was more concerned with defeating the resistance of Portuguese liberal troops on Brazilian soil, ensuring the unity of the newly independent nation. However, without this decision being taken, the Bolivian territory could have been integrated into Brazil.

source wiki

Upper Peru
View attachment 762209
If this actually goes through, it would have huge consequences, mainly on the fact Brazil adds massive amounts of territory to their country and get a opening towards the Pacific.

The problem is them having to digest it all as well as if they really want to get so much of a population they might not be able to properly assimilate, not to count Bolivia's less than stellar terrain that will make contact with the rest of Brazil and inside their own territories complicated to say the least, and that's not even counting how countries like Chile, Peru and Argentina might take it as a chance for getting Bolivian territory now that they're fusing with Brazil, meaning either letting it slip away or the kingdom of Portugal having to commit money and troops to fighting them off, which would give them more enemies to look out for.

If this actually goes through, it would have huge consequences, mainly on the fact Brazil adds massive amounts of territory to their country and get a opening towards the Pacific.
Bolivia brings a LOT precious minerals (such as gold) and most importantly a port for the pacific (the most interesting in my opinion).
The problem is them having to digest it all as well as if they really want to get so much of a population they might not be able to properly assimilate
the population of bolivia was 1.1 M and that of Brazil was 4.7 M in 1822 . Ten years later the population of brazil became 5.6M and bolivia 1.2M. Every ten years, brazil grows by at least 1 million more people and bolivia grows by 100,000 people (Bolivia had a very bad growth due to the terrain). The question is time, the more time passes, the easier Brazil will integrate the region.
,not to count Bolivia's less than stellar terrain that will make contact with the rest of Brazil and inside their own territories complicated to say the least]
the only viable way (cheap and continuous) to access the region is through rivers/sea. Through the Amazon that arrives in the capital and through the Paraguay River.
, and that's not even counting how countries like Chile, Peru and Argentina might take it as a chance for getting Bolivian territory now that they're fusing with Brazil, meaning either letting it slip away or the kingdom of Portugal having to commit money and troops to fighting them off, which would give them more enemies to look out for.
that's why south america is going to be chaos. Peru, Argentina and Chile fighting Spain for independence. Brazil fighting to maintain the region (if accepted), together with a greater need to control of the Plata region basin to access the Paraguay River. At sea with the Portuguese fleet the nation would have total dominion of the sea. This forces brazil to take more than uruguay to maintain access to these regions. If brazil accepts this, south america will be the region that has the most wars in the americas until a power gains dominance or a balance is accepted in the region.

if the war occcur like otl with the invasion by Peru in 1828. The populations would be:
Brazil 5.19M, Bolivia 1.17M, the rest of the Portuguese Empire I don't know. = 6.36 M ( + the rest of the empire)
Peru 1.59 M, Chile 935 thousand, Argentina 649 thousand. = 3,17 M

Last edited:
hey Kurd Gossemer
This could very well become the Great War of the Americas. With different European countries supporting different sides (most important france and uk). Spain trying to reconquer its territories. The nation of gran colombia (or ecuador/colombia) trying to expand in the region of peru etc.

Last edited:
Dont give Nappy any ideas… 😉
French Empire: Hey America, remember those debts you owned to my predecessor’s predecessor?

USA: You mean the Kingdom of France? Yeah, why?

French Empire: Yeah, time to pay up!

USA: No!

French Empire: Okay you asked for it.

USA: Asked for what? Wait why do I hear boss music?

French Empire: Hey America, remember those debts you owned to my predecessor’s predecessor?

I had forgotten that the US defaulted on France. this will generate a lot economic stress for the usa

I think Andrew Jackson and Winfield Scott would have something else to say...